Michael Jackson estate thrills to biopic

If this story is true and John Branca has approached movies producers about a biopic of Michael's life. Then I am disappointed and quite concerned with the running of Michael's estate. I find the idea of a biopic of Michael's life just tacky. I don't care if it's only about Michael's life from 1958-88, I think a biopic is just a cheap cashing for the estate, and if this idea is true it shows the estate aren't putting fans first and promoting Michael's art. Why not release the Bad Tour as a documentary film instead, with offstage footage of Michael and let us learn more about Michael the person, than getting an idea what Michael was like from some actor.

Paddy Power (British betting site) have these odds for who the actor will be:

4/1 Johnny Depp
9/2 Zac Efron
6/1 Usher
6/1 Jaden Smith
8/1 Will Smith
8/1 Jamie Foxx
10/1 Andre 3000
12/1 Justin Timberlake
12/1 Randy Jackson
16/1 Crispin Glover
16/1 Chris Brown
20/1 Chris Tucker
20/1 Jared Leto
20/1 Adrian Grenier
25/1 Derek Hough
40/1 Justin Bieber
40/1 Denzel Washington
40/1 Will.I.Am
40/1 Eddie Murphy
50/1 Kenny Wormald
50/1 Pharell Williams
80/1 Kevin Bacon
100/1 Channing Tatum
100/1 Keanu Reeves

http://www.movieline.com/2011/11/mi...bookie-puts-johnny-depp-atop-casting-pool.php

I agree with Benscarr, I'd like a real documentary better than a movie which would feel quite fake. The list of actors from Paddy Power is lame IMO. Let's have Michael explain Michael.

Johnny Depp talks about Michael Jackson's death and the possibility of playing him in a movie (30th June 2009):

Paddy Power (British betting site) have these odds for who the actor will be:

4/1 Johnny Depp
9/2 Zac Efron
6/1 Usher
6/1 Jaden Smith
8/1 Will Smith
8/1 Jamie Foxx
10/1 Andre 3000
12/1 Justin Timberlake
12/1 Randy Jackson
16/1 Crispin Glover
16/1 Chris Brown
20/1 Chris Tucker
20/1 Jared Leto
20/1 Adrian Grenier
25/1 Derek Hough
40/1 Justin Bieber
40/1 Denzel Washington
40/1 Will.I.Am
40/1 Eddie Murphy
50/1 Kenny Wormald
50/1 Pharell Williams
80/1 Kevin Bacon
100/1 Channing Tatum
100/1 Keanu Reeves

http://www.movieline.com/2011/11/mi...bookie-puts-johnny-depp-atop-casting-pool.php
Worst list EVER, LOL. Justin Bieber?????

Anyway, I'd go for Johnny Depp.

4/1 Johnny Depp

Probably the best choice.

9/2 Zac Efron

No chance.

6/1 Usher

Hmm is Usher even an actor?

6/1 Jaden Smith

Definitely a posibility for a younger Michael.

8/1 Will Smith

Bad choice imo

8/1 Jamie Foxx

Not as Michael but I'm sure he'll get himself involed with this film in some way.

10/1 Andre 3000

Who?

12/1 Justin Timberlake

In his dreams.

12/1 Randy Jackson

Is this American Idol Randy Jackson or Michael's brother Randy Jackson? Either way they would need to get on a diet before they even have a chance.

16/1 Crispin Glover

I think Crispin Glover would make Michael appear too weird and reinforce public misconceptions about Michael.

16/1 Chris Brown

He's an actor?

20/1 Chris Tucker

He looks nothing like Michael and I don't think a comedy actor is the way to go.

20/1 Jared Leto
20/1 Adrian Grenier
25/1 Derek Hough

Who??

40/1 Justin Bieber

:lmao:

40/1 Denzel Washington
40/1 Will.I.Am
40/1 Eddie Murphy
50/1 Kenny Wormald
50/1 Pharell Williams
80/1 Kevin Bacon
100/1 Channing Tatum
100/1 Keanu Reeves

I think all of these actors would be very bad choice.

This idea does'nt thrill me if I'm to be honest. There's too many factors to take into consideration here. The person playing Michael would not only need to 'act', but that person would also need to be able to 'dance' and dance damn well, no cheap imitation version will be acceptable. But above all else, who really can emulate all that is/was Michael Jackson?

I don't know, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Now that the trial of Dr. Conrad Murray hasreached its conclusion (he’ll be sentenced on November 29), the estate of Michael Jackson can get back to the business of flooding the market with product to keep the late King of Pop in the collective consciousness forever. The Cirque du Soleil show based on his music is currently on the road, and there are supposedly many more posthumous releases coming from Michael’s vaults.According to Variety, the next logical piece of the puzzle has started to fall into place; MJ estate executor John Branca has started having conversations with Hollywood types about the prospect of producing a biopic based on Jackson’s life. The project is only at the “discussions” stage at the moment, so it could be years before there is a finished film (or any movement forward at all, really).The idea of a Michael Jackson biopic raises two immediate questions. The first is: Who will play Michael? And secondly: What stages of Jackson’s life will get covered?Let’s tackle the last question first. Michael was famous by age six, which means that he lived most of his life in the public eye and thus doesn’t have a whole lot of stories that were left untold. The Jackson 5 era was covered pretty well by the award-winning 1992 mini-series The Jacksons: An American Dream, so a new film would feel like a bit of a rehash.
Most likely, the most fascinating material would come from the stuff that is least likely to depicted on screen, like his child-abuse scandal and late-period money troubles. If they really just want to focus on his career peak, a film about the construction of Thriller would probably be the most entertaining, as it would be the story of Jackson’s ability to distill a diverse number of ’70s sounds into a whole new form that defined the 1980s.

(The alternate-universe version of that film would encircle HIStory, which would tell the tale of a massive superstar stumbling for the first time after a decade-plus run at the pinnacle of pop music.)As for the actor who should play Jackson, it seems like the only reasonable choice would be to find a newcomer to slip into MJ’s bedazzled gloves. The role is going to carry so much weight that it will be tough for any established actor to come to it baggage-free. Plus, that actor can’t fake it. So you have to have somebody who is willing to shoulder the burden of the character while also being able to sing and dance in a convincing way. Outside of the many impersonators out there, the only person who could possibly pull that off right now is Donald Glover.But what do you think? Any nominations for who should play Jackson or which one of his career arcs would make for the best film? Don’t keep it in the closet – leave it in the comments!

http://music-mix.ew.com/2011/11/16/michael-jackson-biopic/

Bookie Betting Johnny Depp Will Play Michael Jackson in Biopic

With Variety reporting that Michael Jackson’slawyer, John Branca, is shopping around a movie based on the King of Pop’s life, speculation is already rampant over who will play Jackson. British betting housePaddy Power is putting odds on Johnny Depp to star in the movie. The bookmaker has him at 4 to 1 to play Jackson, despite the fact that Depp is white and Jackson was African American.

<aside class="vestpocket" data-position="3" style="width: 175px; float: left; margin-top: 8px; margin-right: 20px; margin-bottom: 1px; margin-left: 0px; overflow-x: visible; overflow-y: visible; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); position: relative; padding-bottom: 20px; border-top-width: 5px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(239, 239, 239); z-index: 1; border-top-left-radius: 0px 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px 5px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 11px; text-align: left; ">8 imagesPhotos: Michael Jackson's Financial Life After Death
Photos: In Pictures: The Highest-Grossing Concert Movies
</aside>
Other actors earning decent odds include Zac Efron (9 to 2), Usher (6 to 1) and Jaden Smith (6 to 1) who one assumes would play Jackson in his early years.If the film gets made, it could help keep Jackson at the top of our annual list of the Top Earning Dead Celebrities. Jacko, who passed away two and a half years ago after a drug overdose, earned $170 million over the past 12 months. He’ll keep earning big from his music, his stake in Sony’s ATV catalog and profits from the Cirque du Soliel show based on Jackson’s music:The Immortal World Tour.According to the Variety report, Branca (who is the executor of Jackson’s estate) has met with Ivan Reitman and Tom Pollack about producing the film. If the estate keeps a strong hand in the production, it will be in a position to take a healthy share of the film’s profits.This Is It, the posthumous documentary based on rehearsal footage from the comeback tour Jackson was working on when he died, earned a healthy $261 million at the global box office. A biographical film, especially one with a big name star like Johnny Depp attached, could do even better. That film was distributed by Sony which also distributes Jackson’s music so look for the studio to play a big part in any potential biopic.Who do you think should play Michael Jackson in a biopic of the star?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothy...nny-depp-will-play-michael-jackson-in-biopic/

It's way better than having a black guy portray him in his later years wearing large quantities of white make-up. It might look more natural.

Actually, they might want to chose someone weho looks the most like him, regardless of colour of his skin.
A white guy playing Michael would be a controversial issue.
And tbh I wouldn't want a white person to be playing Michael either, Michael wasn't white, so why should they get a white actor? He did have vitiligo, and it would be more convenient to have a light skin person play him, but I'm sure many would be offended by it.

that's something I'm just not interested in

Why?

I absolutely love biographies. From JFK to Ray Charles... I will not pick up a book to read about these people, but i will sit down for two hours and learn about their lives.

I think MJ deserves a great biopic. I am sure it's something he would have appreciated, as long as it sticks to the facts & not dwell too much on predicaments and so-called issues.

The biopic has a far better chance of changing people' mind than any Cascio book.

He was a fool for claiming no one would think MJ was a child predator after reading his book...he just conveniently forgot that people had to ACTUALLY READ it.

which no one, but some flip flopping fans, are doing.

A white guy playing Michael would be a controversial issue.
And tbh I wouldn't want a white person to be playing Michael either, Michael wasn't white, so why should they get a white actor? He did have vitiligo, and it would be more convenient to have a light skin person play him, but I'm sure many would be offended by it.

Very true. Expect a scathing letter from the NAACP if Johnny Depp is the only actor chosen.

But i feel they need two actors, one for younger MJ..and another one from Dangerous and up (Johnny Depp)

My picks for younger MJ:

Savion Glover & Corbin Bleu

Older MJ: Johnny Depp

MJ was against racial barriers, I don't think he'd mind if JD played the older version of him. The thought of a caked make up dude playing him later in life, is too depressing.

@Benscarr...they are in early discussions to make the film...doesn't mean it will be in theatre this year, or next...or even 2 years.

Last edited:
I can't believe fans here are even entertaining the idea of a biopic of Michael's life. I think the idea of it is too soon and that alone makes it bad enough.

Johnny Depp has been made the favourite to play Michael Jackson after it was revealed that the singer's estate are to make a biopic with 'Ghostbusters' and 'Up in the Air' producers Ivan Reitman and Tom Pollock.

Bookmakers Paddy Power opened betting after the news was made public yesterday, with Depp surging into an early lead, with odds of 4/1.

Other big name stars include 'High School Musical's' Zac Effron, at 9/2, Usher at 6/1, Will Smith at 8/1 and Justin Timberlake at 12/1.

Given Jackson's change in skin pigmentation over the years, the bookies are also offering odds of 8/1 that the eventual lead star will be white, while it's even money that the man to play the King of Pop will be black.

Sharon McHugh, spokesperson for Paddy Power, said in a statement: "It&#8217;s going to be one mammoth task trying to get someone good enough at acting and dancing to fill Michael Jackson&#8217;s moon-walking shoes but when it comes to the race we&#8217;re betting it don&#8217;t matter if he&#8217;s black or white!"

It was revealed that discussions for a movie had begun following the trial of Jackson's doctor, Conrad Murray, at which he was found guilty of inolvuntary manslaughter.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/68810/Johnny-Depp-Emerges-As-Favourite-To-Play-Michael-Jackson

Quoted:

Sharon McHugh, spokesperson for Paddy Power, said in a statement: "It’s going to be one mammoth task trying to get someone good enough at acting and dancing to fill Michael Jackson’s moon-walking shoes but when it comes to the race we’re betting it don’t matter if he’s black or white!"

I like that!! :yes:

File this under "Too soon?": The executors of the Michael Jackson estate have reportedly approached Montecito Picture Company about a biopic about the King of Pop. That's right, the studio that gave us 'Road Trip,' 'Euro Trip,' and 'I Love You, Man' is the frontrunner to bring Jackson's life story to the silver screen.

According to Variety, the film will only focus on "certain periods" of Jackson's life. Since the biopic is the Jackson estate's idea, it will likely deify the late singer, which means nothing too terrible from his terrible childhood, no molestation trial, no Dr. Conrad Murray and the prescription drug addiction, no Debbie Rowe and Lisa Marie Presley, no hair-on-fire, etc. Just the positive stuff, like "Beat It," Bubbles, and "Heal the World."There are many roadblocks in undertaking a project this huge, but the biggest problem with making a Michael Jackson biopic, other than winning the support of the fans, is casting the main role. It's not like Kings of Pop grow on trees, and no one in the current Hollywood landscape stands out as being born to play the role. Plus, Jackson's ever-changing-but-definitely-not-surgically-alteredappearance makes it difficult for one actor to play the role. Each era of Michael, from Jackson 5 to 'Thriller' to 'Bad' to 'Dangerous,' would require a different actor, like that Bob Dylan movie that we still can't wrap our head around. If somewhere there exists one actor who can bridge all the Jackson roles, pencil him in for an Oscar immediately.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifier/prepare-yourself-michael-jackson-biopic-225308969.html

I think the physical resemblace should be secondary to protraying the true essence.. visibally with make up and prostetics they can bring enough closeness that would pass as a desent resemblace.. But for some reason the only person I can think of that could pull it off (that I know of ) is e casanova..

closest thing to ecasanova acting we have:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8xJJS18Z6I

His dancing skill is not wonderufl, but the movie would not be about just his dance.. as long as he does some dance movements that would be enough.. If Ecas gave himself to this roll as a serious acting roll he MAY be able to pull it off...

I think he brings the overall presence better than anyone else I can think of, along with the look his speech and gestures are pretty simular.. thow its backwards (left hander).. But if his ACTING is not up to par I would much rather have them pick someone that could act the part than look the part if I had to weigh options

I can't believe fans here are even entertaining the idea of a biopic of Michael's life. I think the idea of it is too soon and that alone makes it bad enough.

Why? Biopics are fairly common for larger than life celebrities or famous people. Most biopics are tastefully done, when produced with the right mix of resources.

If the Estate is involved and the right people are used, it has a strong potential to add to Michael's legacy, rather than deduct, as feared by some fans. Most biopics turn out to be critically acclaimed and (or) award winning movies. Take for example, 'Ray', the Ray Charles biopic. Pre production of the movie started even before Ray Charles passed away.

I do, however, stress on the importance of getting the right script and people on board. If not, I'd rather it not happen, since then it has the potential to be a disaster.

I understand how it might feel too soon, especially for us. But as I've said before, the more we wait, the deeper all the BS about Michael will be engraved in people's minds (talking about younger generations). Movies touch lots of people, may that could be useful. Of course, like Rhilo said, it's a slippery slope.

I'd love to see a Biopic of Michael, but as Rhilo said if it's not done correctly, then it shouldn't be done, at-least until they can do it properly..There is many factors to take into consideration such as scripts, casting, what timelines they will be using, what light they will portray him in..IMO basically every aspect of the movie would have to be at an Ace level otherwise I'm not sure it would have a chance to work.

going into a biopic, considering how many MJ fans have been after he passed wont be happy with ANY result.. There would be a whole large amount of critisism, saying no thats not what happened, and look at the actor thats so not mj etc.. so on and so on.. NOT accepting the fact its not Michael on the screen..NO ONE can give the impression of MICHAEL like MICHAEL in its fullest and thats something people will just have to accept. All they could do is try to get as near to the truth and bring him to life as good as possible..

Also will have to accept that in the film there will have to be conflict (a story) it cannot just be success piled upon succes, people dont go see films without conflict and antagonists.. You know how many Mohammed Ali fans HATED the movie ALI????? Those who were not under the fandom of Ali enjoyed the movie and thought it was great.. But many fans were upset that they had to bring in how he cheated on his wife etc.. Showed him in an inperfect light.. That WILL happen with an MJ biopic (showing MJ in n inperfect light) and there will be fans that will go against it because of it.

You know when fans do that it does not HELP Michaels legacy either...

1) When we try to mask Michaels flaws to the public and sometimes to ourselfs, people are left with NOT KNOWING aspects of his life and they are forced to make up there own conclusions which is usually MUCH WORSE than the actual truth.. That goes with allegations, medications, love life, nd other rumors..

2) You know how rediculous how we look to the public sometimes when there are reports "Michael Jackson fans devided over..." That does not represent Michaels message of love and only brings more negitive news around Michaels name.

Ok ill stop I feel like i can keep going but Im getting off task.. Basically a biopic WILL happen if not in 2 years within 20.. but it WILL happen and I really wouldnt want the project be a flop if it has the potential to be something special and showing MJ as who MJ really was.. Because him as a whole is wonderful and can carry its legacy.. The 'perfect' being that many fans try to tell themselves he was only leaves questions un answered to people and end up hurting his legacy..

WHEN a biopic comes out, lets not go against each other like other MJ related stories and projects that have happened.. we claime MJ's messge of L.O.V.E. but constintally are attacking people that KNEW Michael and each other

Last edited:
You know when fans do that it does not HELP Michaels legacy either...
It does wonders for MJ's legacy because it shows everyone that MJ fans don't accept or take no crap when it comes to MJ's legacy. This whole just sit back and accept everything is what everyone expects Mj fans to do. According to alot of folks, we don't have the same passion for MJ than these other fanbases like Elvis fans do for him.

It a good thing that we watch, double check, research everything. Bit I agree with KOPV that we dont need further division. Or rather, we should learn to deal with our different sensibilities and opinions better.

Angie - we are looked at as the most obsessive fans so to compare us to another fan base would not even make sense.. I am not saying to sit back and take whatever crap people spit out.. I look through things with a fine tip brush as well. But when I see a white hair I don't decide to die it before others see it. It's the true color and there is nothing ugly about it.. But many fans towards MJ when someone mentions any "flaw" (white hair) that Michael had wants to look away and burn it ASAP. To me those who do that don't except MICHAEL, they accept an image they want to believe is Michael. Which im most cases is pretty dang close to what they believe anyways.

Kinda like finding out Santa Clause wasnt a virgin! Hey he had mrs. Clause!! ;)

We should be happy that in the real world Michael Jackson really existed, and if he was not EXACTLY what we want to ideally believe, its ok.. Because he is still the Wonderful MICHAEL JACKSON. that once really walked this earth.

Mother Teresa - once a "homeless beggar"
Nelson Mandela - once a "fugitive"
Malcolm X - once a "Drug dealing pimp"

If Michael had some type of dependency issues that does not make him any less of a wonderful man. And is not going to tarnish his image.. For Gods sakes his image has been attacked from allegations in 1993 and 2005 of things FAR FAR worse than dependency issues. I am not saying MJ is a prophet but Jesus himself was an outcast to society... Michael came on tv in 1993 mentioning a dependents issues.. So to him if he at one point would tell the world that, than he knew himself that it was not big enough to truely tarnish his image.

And to be 100% real in this world of drug pushing doctors its alot more accepted regarding drug dependency. millions of people every day get meds that are not needed. All for Depression, A.D.D, insomnia, anxiety.. It's to the point (not everyone talks about it) but we know MORE people Dependant on drugs than we do NOT dependent on drugs. 71% of Americans are "Dependant" on drugs/alcohol. So someone tell me why is everyone so afraid of the effect of this idea of doctors giving Michael medication very possibly believing (because told) that it is perfectly normal.. Most people that are dependant on drugs don't even relized that they were pushed into it because they are told thats what fixes it. Many don't even know that they dont need the medication... they think its needed because they are told it is.

If anything the fact or possibility that Michael was a VICTIM to drug pushing doctors should be shouted to the world like... WAKE UP! one of the worlds greatest gifts was taken from us because of medication pushers. Lets do something... I believe Michael looking down, knowing everything that he would know NOW! would want the world to know what happened. how they sucked him in. "Anything, anything, ANYTHING for Money"

Last edited:
Angie - we are looked at as the most obsessive fans so to compare us to another fan base would not even make sense.. I am not saying to sit back and take whatever crap people spit out.. I look through things with a fine tip brush as well. But when I see a white hair I don't decide to die it before others see it. It's the true color and there is nothing ugly about it.. But many fans towards MJ when someone mentions any "flaw" (white hair) that Michael had wants to look away and burn it ASAP. To me those who do that don't except MICHAEL, they accept an image they want to believe is Michael. Which im most cases is pretty dang close to what they believe anyways.

Kinda like finding out Santa Clause wasnt a virgin! Hey he had mrs. Clause!! ;)

We should be happy that in the real world Michael Jackson really existed, and if he was not EXACTLY what we want to ideally believe, its ok.. Because he is still the Wonderful MICHAEL JACKSON. that once really walked this earth.

Mother Teresa - once a "homeless beggar"
Nelson Mandela - once a "fugitive"
Malcolm X - once a "Drug dealing pimp"

If Michael had some type of dependency issues that does not make him any less of a wonderful man. And is not going to tarnish his image.. For Gods sakes his image has been attacked from allegations in 1993 and 2005 of things FAR FAR worse than dependency issues. I am not saying MJ is a prophet but Jesus himself was an outcast to society... Michael came on tv in 1993 mentioning a dependents issues.. So to him if he at one point would tell the world that, than he knew himself that it was not big enough to truely tarnish his image.

And to be 100% real in this world of drug pushing doctors its alot more accepted regarding drug dependency. millions of people every day get meds that are not needed. All for Depression, A.D.D, insomnia, anxiety.. It's to the point (not everyone talks about it) but we know MORE people Dependant on drugs than we do NOT dependent on drugs. 71% of Americans are "Dependant" on drugs/alcohol. So someone tell me why is everyone so afraid of the effect of this idea of doctors giving Michael medication very possibly believing (because told) that it is perfectly normal.. Most people that are dependant on drugs don't even relized that they were pushed into it because they are told thats what fixes it. Many don't even know that they dont need the medication... they think its needed because they are told it is.

If anything the fact or possibility that Michael was a VICTIM to drug pushing doctors should be shouted to the world like... WAKE UP! one of the worlds greatest gifts was taken from us because of medication pushers. Lets do something... I believe Michael looking down, knowing everything that he would know NOW! would want the world to know what happened. how they sucked him in. "Anything, anything, ANYTHING for Money"

I'm all aware of the obsessive tag MJ fans have and I say it's a bunch of BS. It is only said because it is MJ fans. Other fanbases are protective of their stars too, but unlike MJ fans, they are called dedicated and passionate. It's because of the fact that MJ's negatives are so dwelled on, his fans are overly sensitive and upset when the negatives are put out there for the 1 millionth time. So fan reaction shouldn't be of no surprise to you. It's like yeah, no shit MJ was flawed, but there is so much more to him, so can we just finally move on. Damn.

Well since the estate is involved, I'm sure it will be 100% positive and tasteful............

But the following must not be involved:
--Jackson family,
--Cascios,
--David Gest,
--Quincy Jones
--Lisa Marie Presley
Otherwise it'll become a film about a random drug addict!!!

But anyway, I'm the sort of person who will dislike this film regardless. For me there is only one Michael Jackson (I don't even enjoy watching MJ impersonators)!!!!

To be honest right now, I don't see who could actually play Michael. This might not be popular but if they did a movie they need to discuss the vitiligo. Even now there are people who don't get it. Michael suffered from it and people need to understand that.

Back