Michael Jackson in Blu Ray/HD

Haven't watched the MTV special in a while, but the footage from APOM was from the European and US leg. Wembley, Minneapolis, Paris etc.
I think Warren Eagles explained an unseen doc was also filmed with a concert but never released.

The concert was shot on a mixture of 35mm and 16mm film, it seemed at times they were shooting film for fun! The crew filmed 2 nights out of the 5 Wembley stadium gigs, film was also fed from the earlier tour legs in Australia, Japan, and Europe. As an accompanying piece to the concert, an “on the road” documentary was also filmed at the same time.

The single “Another part of me” was cut from some of my early telecine work. The music video was cut from footage shot in London and Paris, that shows you how tight Jackson’s performance was. As far as I know the complete concert and documentary has never been released. A disappointing waste as the film managed to capture Jackson at his peak. Jackson never came into Visions during the project but Frank Dileo, his cigar smoking manager, visited a couple of times.

See if you can spot the Paris shots?

“Another Part of Me”

https://icolorist.com/2011/07/29/grading-michael-jackson/

I know this has been mentioned before but it seems relevant if we're talking about Bluray/HD footage...

This is the quality that the worlds deserve to see the Bad Tour in

hGGMw32.gif

This is the quality that the worlds deserve to see the Bad Tour in

hGGMw32.gif
I want this more than any other futue release the estate could possibly come up with right now lol

If Frank were still here I feel like he would have some idea on where the film is considering he visited the film labs according to Warren Eagles...

This man is the absolute peak of live entertainment and the best we've got are heavily edited DVD's and a VHS!

Robbsaber01;4232734 said:
Haven't watched the MTV special in a while, but the footage from APOM was from the European and US leg. Wembley, Minneapolis, Paris etc.
I think Warren Eagles explained an unseen doc was also filmed with a concert but never released.

The concert was shot on a mixture of 35mm and 16mm film, it seemed at times they were shooting film for fun! The crew filmed 2 nights out of the 5 Wembley stadium gigs, film was also fed from the earlier tour legs in Australia, Japan, and Europe. As an accompanying piece to the concert, an “on the road” documentary was also filmed at the same time.

The single “Another part of me” was cut from some of my early telecine work. The music video was cut from footage shot in London and Paris, that shows you how tight Jackson’s performance was. As far as I know the complete concert and documentary has never been released. A disappointing waste as the film managed to capture Jackson at his peak. Jackson never came into Visions during the project but Frank Dileo, his cigar smoking manager, visited a couple of times.

See if you can spot the Paris shots?

“Another Part of Me”

https://icolorist.com/2011/07/29/grading-michael-jackson/

I know this has been mentioned before but it seems relevant if we're talking about Bluray/HD footage...

So we know through this the film was transferred to tape and that's how we got APOM. But, do they have the original film? That's another issue entirely.

dam2040;4233310 said:
So we know through this the film was transferred to tape and that's how we got APOM. But, do they have the original film? That's another issue entirely.

They do, as seen in the Bad 25 doc. I don’t know what they are waiting for.

IMWhizzle;4233341 said:

It's odd. They show us the outtakes for APOM which according to Eagles, was mostly cut from a full filmed wembley concert.
Yet they give us a Degraded, poorly restored VHS. Luckily Mjs performance (and HQ Audio) nearly make up for it.

Hopefully they have the full film and couldn't digitize/edit everything in time for BAD25... I have to believe that lol

IMWhizzle;4233341 said:

You know, of all the bands/artists that I closely follow, the handling of the MJ archive is easily the most puzzling. We know they have amazing footage since they have dug it out for small clips and whatnot, but so many years after MJ's passing, we have yet to see the bulk of it. I get spacing out releases over time to have things to put out for years to come, but we should have seen more things in stores by now. I can't imagine it is just sheer laziness since MJ still is a viable source of income since the majority of the original stuff (not compilation) do pretty well sales-wise. A Victory tour release would do pretty amazing if marketed right, since it was essentially the Thriller tour, something the majority of the younger generation that wasn't even around back in 1984 knows virtually nothing about that are into MJ nowadays.

I don't know......just a little bit of a rant. Probably partly out of frustration as a fan that wants to see this stuff!!! lol

Imagine if a Victory concert was actually filmed on 35mm and could be released on Blu-Ray and UHD 4K...

Would be a dream come true....

Imagine if a Victory concert was actually filmed on 35mm and could be released on Blu-Ray and UHD 4K...

Would be a dream come true....

Don't hope too much with the Estate, they still live in the VHS era.

Don't hope too much with the Estate, they still live in the VHS era.

No matter who ran the Estate - I still do not think Victory was filmed on 35 mm film?

AND - since it's The Jacksons - The Estate does not have the footage I guess, and they do not dicide (alone) what happens with it.

No matter who ran the Estate - I still do not think Victory was filmed on 35 mm film?

AND - since it's The Jacksons - The Estate does not have the footage I guess, and they do not dicide (alone) what happens with it.

It looks like Toronto 84 was shot on film (35mm) according to what i see on Youtube, with the way it is filmed, it doesn't look like video footage at all, even though it's a VHS quality. If it's the case i don't know if the OCN are still alive and who own them.

Last edited:
Its so much footage out & they act as if they're saving it for the next life on earth
2ae6556fcb4607a8d08eeeb6aeedf0ae.jpg

Yes, it was shot on film. Look at the Billie Jean Patrick Kelly footage. Mj apparently had his own film crew shoot at least 1 concert(Possibly Chicago) but was shelved.
Getting it released is another issue. Family probably won't allow it, estate probably won't either...

Yes, it was shot on film. Look at the Billie Jean Patrick Kelly footage. Mj apparently had his own film crew shoot at least 1 concert(Possibly Chicago) but was shelved.
Getting it released is another issue. Family probably won't allow it, estate probably won't either...

Great info! Thanks for this. Any information about the audio of this concert? Was it recorded on multi tracks?

It looks like Toronto 84 was shot on film (35mm) according to what i see on Youtube, with the way it is filmed, it doesn't look like video footage at all, even though it's a VHS quality. If it's the case i don't know if the OCN are still alive and who own them.

Would be great! - I really hope it was shot on 35 mm. - That would give ud best possible picture. - But what about the sound? Isn't that normally recorded directly from the mics? - To avoid crowd noise etc.?

Wow. I really hope that's true. - If both Toronto and Chicago is out there on 35 mm - then I really hope the Estate - or whoever has the film - get's it restored and secured. - What a disaster it would be if the footage got damaged and could not be released...

Would be great! - I really hope it was shot on 35 mm. - That would give ud best possible picture. - But what about the sound? Isn't that normally recorded directly from the mics? - To avoid crowd noise etc.?

Wow. I really hope that's true. - If both Toronto and Chicago is out there on 35 mm - then I really hope the Estate - or whoever has the film - get's it restored and secured. - What a disaster it would be if the footage got damaged and could not be released...

Great info! Thanks for this. Any information about the audio of this concert? Was it recorded on multi tracks?
I'm not sure about the audio. I would bet that they would use Multitracks. They used Multitracks for the triumph tour CD so I see no reason not to for victory. Even though the Billie Jean clip is shown in SD, a remastered video and audio master would sound great from that source. I remember the HQ Heartbreak hotel victory tour clip that was posted officially (then removed) for the anniversary date.
That clip wasn't film, but it was HQ. Patrick Kelly stated they had filmed all throughout the tour (miles of film up until Chicago at least). You can see him on stage filming at the end of Toronto.
There's not much info to go by but I've come across this :
He turned down a multimillion-dollar offer from a movie producer to film one of the shows that his brothers had accepted, only to have a crew he had hired show up to shoot its own film several nights later (they have subsequently blocked its release).
http://michael-jackson.wikia.com/wiki/Victory_Tour_(The_Jacksons_tour)

As for Toronto, when it leaked one of the lighting Crew members stated there were about 18 cameras for that show. He didn't mention film but then again who knows. That tour was the biggest at the time so IMO there's no doubt they have releasable HQ film and Audio...

Last edited:
The Patrick Kelly video... Does anyone know where the performances came from? Them building the stage is obviously the Pontiac silverdome.

I hope so much we will get more concert releases - Anything with The Jacksons, Jackson 5 and MJ solo - preferable BAD and Dangerous would be great!!

And rehearsal footage would be even better IMO. - I love to see how he rehearses.

I think this is one of, if not, the most important topic among MJ fans and has been for at least 5 years now.

Also crazy to think the MJ Estate haven't done anything of value for at least 4/5 years.

To get HD videos you have to extract them from the Master Tape (35mm), this was done for Bucharest 1992 and Moonwalker. I hope one day Wembley 1988 comes out in HD, and other concerts.

To get HD videos you have to extract them from the Master Tape (35mm), this was done for Bucharest 1992 and Moonwalker. I hope one day Wembley 1988 comes out in HD, and other concerts.
True, but Bucharest wasn't recorded on film sadly...

Film and tape are different things. I don't think anyone calls 35mm film a tape. Tape is like a VHS.

Wow really....i never knew that. Wonder how it wouldve looked on film. I know for sure Tokyo is on film

Do we have any info about that? The clips we have don't look like film to me.

Film and tape are different things. I don't think anyone calls 35mm film a tape. Tape is like a VHS.

Do we have any info about that? The clips we have don't look like film to me.

I think this is the HQ clip people refer to as film sourced. I have no idea though...

Back