Michael Jackson Scream - The Album

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Holy hell! <a href="https://twitter.com/thewhitepanda">@thewhitepanda</a> have mashed up five classic Michael Jackson songs, and the end result is incredible! <a href="https://t.co/7BA76D3UG9">https://t.co/7BA76D3UG9</a> <a href="https://t.co/kOl9oien60">pic.twitter.com/kOl9oien60</a></p>&mdash; Stagedoor FM (@StagedoorFM) <a href="https://twitter.com/StagedoorFM/status/906120390828843009">8. September 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DJKOwlpW4AA-_A4.jpg

No. 1 Best Seller in Vinyl #AmazonUK #Scream Michael Jackson

DJM-wG8XoAABfBx.jpg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just heard a very enthusiastic <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MJScream?src=hash">#MJScream</a> advert on the radio! Getting lots of coverage. &#128077;&#127926;&#128150; <a href="https://t.co/Tsqckk0lNQ">pic.twitter.com/Tsqckk0lNQ</a></p>&mdash; Bruce Aguilar (@yensid98) <a href="https://twitter.com/yensid98/status/905983011212058624">8. September 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I love Alicia @theestate. So articulate and doesn't take prisoners with her words. And she's spot on! I don't like some of the decisions the estate make, it would be a boring world if I agreed with every single thing! Whoever sent the original email certainly wasn't speaking on my behalf.

I didn't need an email response to point out the incredible work the estate had done over the past 8 years! Most of it wouldn't have even seen the light of day if Michael was with us. It's funny, I don't remember fans petitioning Michael for demo recordings or live video. And when Michael was here, new music was years apart! Stop being so spoilt!

Even Michael put out greatest hits packages whilst the world waited for new albums!

?💛💜💚💙

This release is smart if it sells well. More people might start to listen Michael's music. But I would never buy this personally.

It's already selling well :D nobody asked you to buy so

I don't understand why someone who has the songs already would buy this. I can understand if someone who wants to listen Michael's music for the first time might buy this but there are better options. Those people coud buy The Essential Michael Jackson and it doesn't cost much more. Edit: It actually costs less on Amazon Uk.

I don't understand why someone who has the songs already would buy this. I can understand if someone who wants to listen Michael's music for the first time might buy this but there are better options. Those people coud buy The Essential Michael Jackson and it doesn't cost much more. Edit: It actually costs less on Amazon Uk.
I buy it as a collector, because I love the artwork, because I'm thrilled about the glow in the dark vinyl, because Michael is in the news again and because I think a halloween-themed album is a fantastic idea.. and so on and so forth..

Nobody HAS to buy it. And I accept that. Noone has to like everything the estate releases and there are many varieties in a fandom (I, for example, don't care about a new Victory Tour concert, because I'm not interested in that - weird, huh? ;) but that's how a fandom works - I, on the other hand, can't understand fans who don't speak english because they miss Michael's important messages.. but I have to accept that as well.) The estate can't always please everyone.

But Alicia's response is spot on. Think of the huge amount of material that has been released so far. Michael made us wait for YEARS, without any teasers or demos or whatever. And we waited patiently (more or less ;) ). Now that he's gone times are different. There will never be 'new' things coming directly from him. So the estate tries to satisfy everyone who's interested, the so-called hardcore fans, the casual fans..
Just imagine cooking dinner for a huge family.. you'll have the meat lovers, the vegetarians, the vegans.. it's hard to cook meal for 20 people sometimes, pleasing everyone.. multiply that by 1000xxx and you see the demands the estate has to face. :)

Last edited:
I didn't need to read that email response to understand what the goal of this recent release had but Alicia's reply is spot on, whoever sent her the email and echoes the chant "The MJ Estate are money hungry, they're killing Michael's legacy or f.uk Sony/the estate,"is not speaking on my behalf either. I haven't agreed with every decision the estate have made and I believe there is room for improvement despite thinking they have done some things right but with these kind of people no matter what the estate do, damn if they do, damn if they don't. I prefer a million times Branca and McClain running the estate than the Jacksons who are freeloaders.

Last edited:
It only now just registered with me:

This is a MASHUP.

I feel as though some people are expecting a megamix a la "Immortal Megamix," where there's a clear purpose for the mix, but it's not. This is a mashup, similar to this video, which is more like finding a beat and then matching whatever song you want to that beat. It's a very unique thing, and it's certainly not for everyone.

Me? I love it. Far preferred over a traditional remix.

It's a bit of a mess. I don't think people are gonna be more or less impressed because you think it's a mash up/remix/megamix or whatever you want to name it.

Love the intro though.

I think Alicia confirms in her response that the album is connected to the film.

For me it's simple, and this is my own 'personal opinion' firstly I would never in a trillion years start sending the estate dumb ass emails like that, tbh kudos to her for even replying, fact is she's right Michael's fan base is made up of millions across the whole world and of such diverse age ranges and expectations, never can you over a period of a decade and more with many projects please each and everyone each and every time, that is simply not possible. For me I judge each project upon its merits to me personally for instance I loved both the Cirque shows, seen both and they are incredible, the Michael album was a car crash, from the outset I supported it (which didn't fair well with he cascios haters) then I realised there was something wrong and change my stance on it (again more hate form the Cascio haters) Xscape for me was ok, not the best but a couple of the tunes I really enjoyed, PWNN one of them, moving forward to this album, for me 'again personally' it's pointless, digital technology has progressed such much these days that I can now have every single MJ album on my phone in my iTunes catalogue and all I need to do is make up a playlist with all this on, job done I have the album, plus there is the I've been there done it with these songs when MJ realeased them, yep listened to them a trillion times learnt the words and so on, so clearly this release is not aimed at me, which is fine and why I will politely let it pass me by and allow those who have not lived through these songs in the same manner as I have enjoy it, it's no beef for me and although there is a little (and I mean little) bar humbug I would certainly not go forcing my opinions on anyone else let alone sending Alicia tantrum throwing emails - however I do think the artwork is brilliant, not enough for me to go buying all formats, perhaps online picture save and set as my wallpaper (y)

Oh and in case anyone is wondering none my stances I transcend into what I do and do not allow on MJJC which is pretty obvious given this thread is here.

" As well as Bring in new family members. "
oh , how i LOVE that.

That message that was sent about release of MJ stuff is pretty much what I (and some others) have continued to say over and over.. Not necessarily defending the Estate but putting things in retrospect. Michaels legacy goes far beyond 8yrs (that he's been gone) we have gotten a lot within the last 8 yrs compared to lets say 2001-2009 (previous 8 years)..

The speed of releases has heavily grown in comparison to when Michael was still with us.. Now for some reason many feel we deserve more and faster.. We waited 6 years for a single album before (excluding re-releases or remixes) yet now we expect to have the entire catolog handed to us NOW!!!

Well great, than what?? How is his legacy supposed to survive? where is the income supposed to come from? What are fans supposed to look forward to in 30 years? The fact youtube exists alone takes away a HUGE percent of various things they could have released, made money, and helped his legacy with..

We have so much at our fingertips and we get mad when the Estate is forced to recycle stuff just to keep releasing things.. I mean honestly, if our conversations are so often talking about getting clearer footage.. "I want 4K" "I want 3D" I want blu-ray"- we are in a good position to be in..

I think we should be thankful that Michael was smart enough to film everything, the fact footage is out there, music is out there and gives us stuff to look forward to is something to be excited over not ONLY complain about.

The Estate is a BUSINESS, we can push buttons on our keyboards and criticize everything, but at the end of the day. They are there to make money.. to keep things going! Not just supply us fanboys & girls what we want.. The fans that make up a majority don't come to forums like this and create logs, backlogs, and files of what MJ stuff they have, they don't have, and what should be released.. more money comes in from the casual fan (they make a bigger demographic) than we do. WE are not always where the money is at.. We appreciate things that others could care less over. lets be real!

We demanded the demos (and got them).. The lady at the store that has MJ on her phone still doesn't have them nor cares about them.. in fact she loves the remix that we hate lol!!

Just sayin'

I don't complain about quantity, I complain about the quality of releases. Simple. Some have been great, others not so much.

^ And the bad or redundant quality... we simply don't buy! I wont be buying the Scream album. but when something comes out that interests me more.. sure!

I'm not trying to start any kind of debate here but if John Branca really was a 'gentleman' as Alicia oddly describes him, then he would have apologised to me, to you and most of all Michael himself, for putting an amateur, awful singer on an album purporting to be one of the greatest, most revered singers the world has ever known. I mean it's just as insulting now as it was in 2010.

I realise this is not the forum for bringing back up old issues, but Alicia chose to summarise the Estate's 8 years as if it's all been sunshine, lollipops and the greatest of intentions. And I'm not letting that go by without reminding everyone of the most staggeringly ugly betrayal they could ever have conceived of - consciously or not.

I'm not trying to start any kind of debate here but if John Branca really was a 'gentleman' as Alicia oddly describes him, then he would have apologised to me, to you and most of all Michael himself, for putting an amateur, awful singer on an album purporting to be one of the greatest, most revered singers the world has ever known. I mean it's just as insulting now as it was in 2010.

I realise this is not the forum for bringing back up old issues, but Alicia chose to summarise the Estate's 8 years as if it's all been sunshine, lollipops and the greatest of intentions. And I'm not letting that go by without reminding everyone of the most staggeringly ugly betrayal they could ever have conceived of - consciously or not.

One big problem though my friend, to apologise is to admit guilt, something that will never happen due to the implications.

One big problem though my friend, to apologise is to admit guilt, something that will never happen due to the implications.

Hey I ain't waiting with baited breath or anything. I'm just saying that's what a real gentleman would do. She needs to pick different words to describe him in future, as far as I'm concerned.

Hey I ain't waiting with baited breath or anything. I'm just saying that's what a real gentleman would do. She needs to pick different words to describe him in future, as far as I'm concerned.

I get you man, I also feel an approach in some way out of respect for the fans should have happened, I myself won't be holding my breath for that either.

It's a bit of a mess. I don't think people are gonna be more or less impressed because you think it's a mash up/remix/megamix or whatever you want to name it.

Mashups usually can be described as messes. If you've already set your opinion on the song this info isn't gonna shake you, but for anyone who has yet to hear it, they should know what they're gonna hear. You wouldn't play someone the Timbaland remix of Chicago without highlighting the fact that it's a remix.

I still think he's a gentleman and seems very defensive of Michael and his legacy. We all know Michael's love for the Cascios, and John would have known and seen that relationship in person.

I have no doubt that he thought he could completely trust them, and was duped as well. Who would expect that? Not him. Not me. I actually was surprised when he said "no more Cascio songs" at the BAD25 premiere. That took a lot.

I haven't let go what they did with those songs on the Michael album either and will never forgive them for selling us fake songs but let's face it, they will never admit they didn't research the tracks origins neither admitting that they were fooled. At least since that debacle they have tried to redeem themselves with better releases (not perfect, I know but they have tried to do things right ) and distance themselves from the Cascio tracks ever since 2011.

Before moving on (as this is a MJ Scream thread) I can also add that JB recognised that the Cascios songs were a no go anymore after I was invited to the final dress rehearsal of Immortal in Montreal (yep I was there, invited by the estate) said you need to drop the ones you was using which he then made us aware he agreed and did indeed do so for the tour.

HUGE shout out to Alicia and the Estate for responding the way they did. The response from some fans has been abysmal at times. I applaud the Estate for responding in the way they did, it must be utterly frustrating to keep trying to uphold Michael's legacy and get criticised for it no matter what you do on literally every single project. Are the Estate perfect? Absolutely not, they have made mistakes and they will continue to make mistakes, but it's evident they listen to fans and are doing what they think is best for the Michael Jackson legacy.

I want to compare Michael Jackson to other artists to just show how lucky we MJ fans have been in perspective.

Michael Jackson in just 8 years following his death:
-A full 2-hour documentary filled to the brim with unreleased rehearsal footage + complimenting soundtrack with an unreleased song (2 mixes of it!) + unreleased demos and a spoken poem.
-An album with 6 brand new songs.
-A remix album in the style of The Beatles' Love, which in itself was a hugely successful project, which also offered glimpses at unreleased snippets of Michael's music.
-An anniversary album offering 6 entirely new songs, a whole new live album, a concert that has been heavily demanded by fans for years, and a documentary FILLED with high definition footage of Michael Jackson working behind the scenes - something we've rarely seen!
-An album with 8 brand new songs. Even though some had leaked, we were still offered 9 new mixes!
-A documentary focusing on Michael's journey to Off the Wall
-A themed compilation album where ~9/13 songs on there aren't well known by the general public, offering a glimpse at some fantastic somewhat unknown MJ songs.

Additionally through collaboration with other artists, we have received new extended remixes of his music:
-Say Say Say with Paul McCartney, a 7 minute remix featuring new unreleased vocals from the pair.
-There Must Be More To Life Than This with Freddie Mercury, an unreleased song featured on a 2014 Queen compilation.

Let's compare this to other artists shall we?

The Beatles.
When they broke up in 1970, fans didn't hear any new original unreleased material until 1994/1995. That's 24 years! By comparison, if MJ fans had to wait that long, we'd have to wait until 2033 to hear anything new!

They did release a live album in 1977, however it wasn't any new original material. Finally in 1994, Live at the BBC was released which featured rarely heard material played on the radio by the Fab Four, including a great Lennon-McCartney original composition that was never properly recorded in studio. In 1995/1996, you had the huge Anthology project that allowed fans an in-depth look into demos, unreleased songs as well as 'new' songs by the group, featuring posthumous vocals by Lennon. I'd love a project like this for Michael. There have been further projects, but keep in mind how long Beatlemaniacs had to wait! Quarter of a century!

Elvis Presley.
Released his last album just months before he died. Posthumously there was little new material to release. Fans got a live concert a few months after he died, but aside from that fans have mostly just released compilations in the decades following. There was a new documentary mixing real footage of Elvis with actors and what not, but yeah. He got a collectors label around the turn of the century that has been pumping out expensive releases that feature countless takes of his albums, which is great for the hardcore fans. Still, they had wait 22 years to see these sorts of releases. By comparison for Michael Jackson, we'd have to wait until 2031!

Now a days they have been generally just releasing alternative takes of original songs (and some unheard Elvis covers that they come across when doing these projects, a new unheard cover was released a month or two ago), and I believe there have been new concerts released. Once again though, had to wait a long time to see these!

John Lennon.
John Lennon died just weeks after releasing his final album. He had a compilation album released in 1982, in fact this was what introduced me to his solo music. He had his first posthumous album in 1984, which featured some great songs ("Nobody Told Me" is a classic). There wasn't a great deal more of quality material though and the next posthumous album, released in 1986, was a dip in quality and as such is out of print. There was a live album released that year too. In 1988, another compilation was released to accompany a new documentary film on him, it featured an unreleased song as well as a demo of Imagine. There was a radio programme that essentially played whatever remaining from his vault that was of some quality.

From the 1990s onwards, you have the aforementioned Beatles Anthology where the remaining Beatles finished up two Lennon songs and made them into something great, and finally in 1998 there was the John Lennon anthology that featured many alternative takes of his music. Aside from that and since then, it's really just been compilation albums. So John Lennon has had a nice amount of posthumous releases, but a lot of it was released in the first 15 years after his death so there's not a great deal more to release now.

Frank Sinatra.
Released his last album just years before his death. No posthumous albums, just compilation albums of mostly previously released material (some offer a new unreleased take or whatnot). There have been a good handful of live albums though. A good documentary too that eventually went onto Netflix.

Freddie Mercury/Queen.
Following Freddie Mercury's death, released one final studio album in 1995. There was little new material until 2014's Queen Forever, which included 3 unreleased songs (including the Michael Jackson duet TMBMTLTT). Aside from that, it's just been compilation albums of previously released material and some live albums along with some concerts released.

Kurt Cobain/Nirvana
There was really only live performance albums/shows following his suicide in 1994. His final recorded song was released on a 2002 Nirvana compilation, and some unreleased demos in a Nirvana boxset in 2005. He had a home recordings album released a year or two ago (which was scraping the barrel, in all fairness though I do enjoy one of his covers on there).

George Harrison.
His final, unreleased studio album following his death. A greatest hits compilation and a compilation with unreleased demos. Aside from later Beatles releases (Love, Sgt. Peppers 50th Anniversary etc etc) that's it really.

Johnny Cash
Johnny Cash has had a few compilations released since his death as well as a live album. Most notably, 3 years after he died in 2006, the first posthumous album was released. Another followed up in 2010 and an unreleased album from the 1980s was released in 2014.

David Bowie.
Not completely comparable as Bowie only died 21 months ago, but their Estate has done well. They've continue released a box set series that Bowie started just before he died, they've re-printed older, rarer albums and they've also released a new live album I believe. An early version of Hunky Dory was released for RSD and they released his final songs by themselves on an EP too. Although they literally took a 2014 compilation and re-released it, exact same track listing (minus the final ~2 songs) just with a new package... which was a waste imo.

Amy Winehouse.
She had a posthumous album of unreleased recordings released at the end of 2011, since then it's been pretty quiet. There was a Live at the BBC-type album in 2012, and a well-received documentary released in 2015 featuring unreleased footage, a soundtrack accompanied it with some previously released material but also some new demos. Other than that, pretty quiet.

James Brown.
James Brown has really just had compilation albums since his death, as well as a live album.

In conclusion, as you can see us Michael Jackson fans have received A LOT of good quality posthumous releases in under a decade following his death, especially when compared to other artists. In fact many other artists fans would be lucky to receive this much new material in decades following their death! The Estate have been very generous and we should be grateful for what we have honestly.

Add to that

Prince
Vinyl re releases of classic albums to Purple Rain, currently up to Lovesexy (1988)
Reissuing of all Warners albums to Lovesymbol and the Hits (1992/93) on CD at mid prices
2 CD 40 song greatest hits set with one unreleased song which turned out to be a bootleg mix
Remaster and reissue of classic album Purple Rain, with a disc of unreleased songs which featured some of his finest ever songs and less satisfactory master of Purple Rain, Louder, but not clearer, disc of 7 inchs and 12 inch single and Bside mixes, DVD of 1985 Live show.
Illegal issue of an album called "Deliverance" by an engineer that was blocked by Prince estate
2 dodgy ass documentary drama shows with some ham acting
Estate releasing Prince videos to Youtube every Friday after Prince had spent his life censoring them on Youtube
Paisley Park turned into Museum and Shrine
Hideous Purple Rain floorshow in London
Many posthumous volumes, with books by Mayte, Vanity, various people who worked with him and some dubious journalists. Quality varies and now we have books coming out all the time.

A good start, but not on the Michael level.

Tupac

- At least a bazillion albums released each year, all with dubious songs and remixes, usually with the latest shit hopper rapper over a looped verse of two of Tupacs
- Ghetto junk shops selling unauthorised flags, pennants, blankets, tshirts, cups, brass knuckles etc with 2 pac on them.

Last edited:
Quantity isn't the issue...it's the quality. Most of what the estate has given the fans have been sub-par. Some of it has been a success. Take away the questionable tracks on the Michael album, that was a good project. This Is It movie, Bad25 (minus the remixes and the spanish/french song versions no one wanted), and Xscape were fairly decent.

However some of the really bad decisions are what is the issue. The questionable tracks on Michael, releasing This Is It as a compilation album rather then a "live" album with the vocals taken from the rehearsals instead, re-releasing Off The Wall without anything new on it other than a piece of chalk and a documentary no one wanted, no Dangerous25..an album that's highly regarded as one of Michael's best moments of his career, and now yet ANOTHER compilation type album no one needs or wants with a bad remix we can live without.

In his entire adult career, Michael set the standards high for what he expected to be done with his projects. He wanted nothing but the best for his fans. That has not been the case since his death. Yes Michael's fans seem to demand more then other superstars or groups fan base, but we just want what Michael wanted all his years.

This album is just a bad idea, all it is, is a money cash in that Sony & The Estate are doing to get more gullible fans to buy yet another Michael Jackson greatest hits package we don't need. They need to start listening to the fan base, and see what we would like. They listened to us for Bad25 for the most part, why can't they do that in the future. Majority of the fans wanted Dangerous25 and we were let down....BIG TIME. If they want to keep the legacy of Michael and do future projects in the highest of standards that Michael was accustom to, they need to make better decisions down the road, because this Scream album..is not one of them.

Bad 25 has been the only project I liked, I gotta say that. BUT if they release Thriller on Blu ray, including the Victory Tour then this will be my favorite release ever! And obviously as good as Bad 25. Remember when they released Bad at Wembley, on their site they say they wouldn't release Yokohama because it is contains the same (almost) setlist as the Victory Tour and that was not what we wanted at the time, but this is the PERFECT opportunity to release it. The Jacksons want it to be released and the fact that Heartbreak Hotel from the Victory Tour was uploaded to their VEVO channel proves it.

I know that I sound like I'm asking for too much but I'm not, it's simple. I'm not asking for demos or unreleased songs.

However some of the really bad decisions are what is the issue. The questionable tracks on Michael, releasing This Is It as a compilation album rather then a "live" album with the vocals taken from the rehearsals instead, re-releasing Off The Wall without anything new on it other than a piece of chalk and a documentary no one wanted, no Dangerous25..an album that's highly regarded as one of Michael's best moments of his career, and now yet ANOTHER compilation type album no one needs or wants with a bad remix we can live without.

You keep saying 'nobody wanted', well speak for yourself. I'm sure a number of fans enjoyed hearing Michael sing in another language (especially if they speak the language), or found the documentary on OTW enjoyable.

The Cascio tracks on Michael obviously was a mistake. As for TII, it was an accompanying piece for the film really, so that casual audience members could buy the songs they liked to hear on the film. I would've liked them to maybe see a deluxe version with the rehearsal vocals, but I'm not overly bothered because I have an album of the TII rehearsals anyway. It's a fair point though and I'd like them to release it in the future, I think they will at some point.

Dangerous 25 would've been nice too and the lack of release was disappointing, but the Estate never said they were going to do a reissue. People need to get over it now, and this is coming from someone who wanted nothing more than Dangerous 25. Besides, the disappointment fans are going on about would've been inevitable if they didn't make a HIStory 25, or an Invincible 25 anyway.

In his entire adult career, Michael set the standards high for what he expected to be done with his projects. He wanted nothing but the best for his fans. That has not been the case since his death. Yes Michael's fans seem to demand more then other superstars or groups fan base, but we just want what Michael wanted all his years.

Of course, but standards can only be so high when the man himself isn't here to complete material. The Estate have made mistakes but I've always got a good feeling they've done the best with what they can.

Michael also released 6 different compilation sets in the 8 years leading up to his death. So even if the Estate hasn't been perfect in your eyes with quality control, nether was Michael Jackson himself. This doesn't excuse the Estate from having lower quality products, but is something I thought I'd bring up anyway. I'm fine with this compilation album because it's themed to something Michael was obviously interested in and it shines light on lesser known songs. So long as they don't release a great number of compilation albums, I'm fine.

This album is just a bad idea, all it is, is a money cash in that Sony & The Estate are doing to get more gullible fans to buy yet another Michael Jackson greatest hits package we don't need. They need to start listening to the fan base, and see what we would like. They listened to us for Bad25 for the most part, why can't they do that in the future. Majority of the fans wanted Dangerous25 and we were let down....BIG TIME. If they want to keep the legacy of Michael and do future projects in the highest of standards that Michael was accustom to, they need to make better decisions down the road, because this Scream album..is not one of them.

It's not a bad idea, Michael Jackson's Thriller gets attention every Halloween and obviously the Estate are trying to capitalise it. It's not a 'greatest hits' package either, 9/13 of the tracks on the album - Heartbreak Hotel, BOTDF, Torture, Leave Me Alone, Dangerous, Unbreakable, Xscape, Threatened, Ghosts are tracks that aren't entirely well known outside of the fanbase! Fans moan all the time about his more unknown tracks not getting any attention, and now when they do shine attention to them you go on about it being a cash grab and all that.

The Estate have listened to the fan base many times, Branca has confirmed no more Cascio tracks ever, Bad 25 is another great example, they had a thread on MJJC years ago dedicated to feedback and they adapted Xscape according to fan demands (including the original demos). The fans complain that lesser known tracks need more attention, this compilation does that! They would have altered other products in the past based on fan feedback as well in ways we may not immediately realize.

The Michael Jackson legacy isn't just about current fans. Almost every single project so far has given hardcore fans something new, some more than others, but something new nonetheless. The legacy is also about drawing in new fans, this album is about getting casual fans or even non-MJ fans to hear this great material they likely haven't heard before.

Last edited:
Back