Michael Jackson Scream - The Album

Back on topic.

SCREAM could be top 5 in the UK album charts this Friday.

On the USA BB200 pure sales chart (the original album chart before streaming) SCREAM could be top 10 next week (although the passing of Tom Petty will have an effect).

Someone once told me, when talking about people who are always looking to drag you down with their negativity

What the hell how old are you? It's not about negativity, we are all fans and we all have the right to express our opinion about these projects. Nobody is attacking you or anybody, it's just a different opinion.

^ hulkamaniac, "Let me tell you somethin' brother", there is a lot of negativity in this forum.. Not specific to any particular post here or from you (or anyone) but it exists. To the point where people start not wanting to post positive things because there would probably be SOME type of comment about it.. Same goes in other ways, when someone wants to state an honest opinion, it's such a slippery slope because someone will probably say "that's disrespectful"..

Anywho, Hulkamaniac I am only assuming ur a Hulk Hogan fan but I was just in Florida and there was an awesome Hogan store.. bunch of memorabilia, autographed stuff and all.. I almost bought an autographed weight belt, $350...

Just so I don't get accused of going way too off topics, wouldn't it been better to title the album something different than "scream" considering there is a song called 'Scream'..

^ hulkamaniac, "Let me tell you somethin' brother", there is a lot of negativity in this forum.. Not specific to any particular post here or from you (or anyone) but it exists. To the point where people start not wanting to post positive things because there would probably be SOME type of comment about it.. Same goes in other ways, when someone wants to state an honest opinion, it's such a slippery slope because someone will probably say "that's disrespectful"..

Anywho, Hulkamaniac I am only assuming ur a Hulk Hogan fan but I was just in Florida and there was an awesome Hogan store.. bunch of memorabilia, autographed stuff and all.. I almost bought an autographed weight belt, $350...

Just so I don't get accused of going way too off topics, wouldn't it been better to title the album something different than "scream" considering there is a song called 'Scream'..

Their using the 90's film franchise Scream as a way to tap in to the Halloween market, I would imagine.

KOPV, I actually think that's the very reason they call the album "Scream". Because there's a song on the album that is called scream.
And it goes fine with Halloween theme.

guys....We have to respect each others opinion. isn't what you've said the entire thread?

Chart update (keep scrolling) ;)

2000 albums and counting .

http://hitsdailydouble.com/building_album_chart

TW Artist / Album Label Sales Index
DEMI LOVATO
TELL ME YOU LOVE ME
ISLAND/SAFEHOUSE/HOLLYWOOD 30,375
MILEY CYRUS
YOUNGER NOW
RCA 20,997
SHANIA TWAIN
NOW
MERCURY NASHVILLE 17,863
TOM PETTY
GREATEST HITS
MCA 11,935
9 5
IMAGINE DRAGONS
EVOLVE
KIDINAKORNER/INTERSCOPE 7,942
-- 6 A BOOGIE WIT DA HOODIE
THE BIGGER ARTIST
HIGHBRIDGE 7,749
-- 7 TAMAR BRAXTON
BLUEBIRD OF HAPPINESS
TaMartianland 6,157
10 8 THOMAS RHETT
LIFE CHANGES
VALORY/BMLG 5,306
-- 9 TANK
SAVAGE
ATLANTIC 4,532
-- 10 RITTZ
LAST CALL
STRANGE MUSIC 4,391
-- 11 PRIMUS
THE DESATURATING SEVEN
ATO 3,589
-- 12 PEARL JAM
LET'S PLAY TWO
REPUBLIC 3,570
7 13 FOO FIGHTERS
CONCRETE AND GOLD
ROSWELL/RCA 3,490
30 14 BRUNO MARS
24K MAGIC
ATLANTIC 2,745
20 15 ED SHEERAN
DIVIDE
ATLANTIC 2,731
21 16 KENDRICK LAMAR
DAMN.
TDE/INTERSCOPE 2,678
22 17 NOW 63
VARIOUS ARTISTS
NOW 2,662
17 18 MOANA
SOUNDTRACK
WALT DISNEY 2,629
-- 19 HOODIE ALLEN
THE HYPE
HOODIE ALLEN 2,603
23 20 CHRIS STAPLETON
FROM A ROOM: VOLUME 1
MERCURY NASHVILLE 2,514
1 21 THE KILLERS
WONDERFUL WONDERFUL
ISLAND 2,500
2 22 MACKLEMORE
GEMINI
BENDO LLC. 2,472
29 23 LUKE COMBS
THIS ONE'S FOR YOU
RIVER HOUSE/COLUMBIA NASHVILLE 2,374
6 24 MIDLAND
ON THE ROCKS
BIG MACHINE/BMLG 2,271
25 25 VOL. 2 GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: AWESOME MIX, VOL. 2
SOUNDTRACK
HOLLYWOOD 2,268
-- 26 MICHAEL JACKSON
SCREAM
LEGACY 2,113

But y'all wouldn't respect me when I ask for something in 2000 Watts

0C2.gif

the album is shit

Comments like that are really very immature, disrespectful, ignorant and totally unnecessary.

I'm all for healthy and insightful debate, everyone has a right to express their opinions, but throwing out a statement like that is just plain rude and classless.

I think the album is fine for what it is... A compilation album.

I have not heard Heartbreak Hotel (album version) for a very very long time - only live version. Torture was almost unknown to me and I did not have Somebody's Watching Me. - So these are 3 good songs I enjoy to hear now. - And the rest of the songs are great too. And I am one of those who like the mash-up.

So I enjoy the album - also it was very cheap. Bought it on iTunes - and it was a lot cheaper than normal new album I have bought there...

Now I think I will buy the LP just because it would be nice in the collection.

I didn't quite get what this Scream album is all about. Though I like MJ is popping up again in the news here and there.

So here's a new review.
Backhanded compliments and totally dismissive of the HIStory album but the bolded part is why I posted this review.

The guy recommends Ghosts and Threatened!
Yes, and that is totally the point of this album - to get people into some MJ music other than the obvious hits. At least with one reviewer that has worked. Perhaps it'll work with the general public too.

Right, he was the King of Pop and all that stuff, but Michael Jackson was a capital-A album artist through and through once Quincy Jones stepped in. It’s not patently absurd to imagine someone with an hour of free time wanting to hear “Beat It” alongside “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough” and “The Way You Make Me Feel” instead of setting up “Human Nature” and “P.Y.T.”, but it’s hard to imagine someone craving this sequence enough times to pay for it in a fixed order rather than just taking to Spotify when the mood strikes. Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad, and the glorious, bombastic, undervalued Dangerous are all fully realized masterworks of cutting-edge pop maximalism, while the singles off the lesser HIStory and Invincible are fairly up to the same par as the deep cuts surrounding. You’re not getting a new revelation about “Earth Song” or “You Rock My World” by saving them from their intended contexts.

So, of course, a Michael Jackson best-of sells, but it’s a misnomer. His bests are Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad, and Dangerous. Few argue. There was just enough time in between these monuments for each to be events in themselves. Madonna’s Immaculate Collection is a blessed mixtape from the gods after boiling down mostly good records to the essentials, and she did learn to make essentials of her own shortly after. Jackson’s discography divvies up neatly on its own.

So when Scream was first brought to our attention in September, it was looking to follow This Is It and Xscape into his non-pantheon of outtakes digs that rarely rose to the occasion of lone buried classic “Love Never Felt So Good”, and it turned out to be even less essential: another compilation. However, this one’s got some teeth (and balls), as a “Halloween-themed” collection that usefully corrals the man’s darkest and spookiest fare into a pretty convincing and sonically fluid totality of its own. For one thing, just four of Scream’s 14 songs come from the aforementioned great albums, which leaves 10 songs that actually stand a chance of improving on their original home, and they actually do.

Partly, this is because non-solo Jackson tunes are wisely included: Rockwell’s 1984 hit “Somebody’s Watching Me” and two of the Jacksons’ best tunes are reconstituted betwixt “Thriller” and “Leave Me Alone” to give their minor-key menace a flow. The horn-y “Xscape”, first unveiled in 2014, is given a chance to shine in its Prince-circa-Come way, while overtaxed 2001 swan song Invincible gets its excellent bookends, “Unbreakable” and “Threatened”, subsumed into something greater (though it’s not clear what the former, a not-spooky-at-all Biggie duet, is doing here). It doesn’t take much to pry the famed Janet duet “Scream” from the jaws of HIStory’s mediocrity.

But the biggest surprise of all may be the two tracks from 1997’s completely ignored Blood on the Dance Floor remix/mixed bag, the proto-Lady Gaga theater of “Blood on the Dance Floor” and the nearly P.E.-discordant “Ghosts” injected with new life in such A-list company. The consistent click of the new jack-inspired funk rhythms and total lack of ballads really do add up to a decent Halloween party with a consistent feel and steely momentum. Absurd as the package and its very existence are, it’s not misbegotten; you can hear the function it serves and the holiday conceit makes it fairly possible to imagine someone picking it up at Wal-Mart at the last minute along with their candy and decorations rather than going to the trouble to sort out a playlist. The bar for this sort of cash-grab is low enough that Scream clears it rather easily. It is in fact a scream, and it makes a case to revisit Jackson’s lesser works even as it cherry-picks from them. That’s almost enough to recommend plunking down cash for it. Almost.

Essential Tracks: “Ghosts”, “Threatened”, and “Somebody’s Watching Me”

Source: https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/10/album-review-michael-jackson-scream/

I am enjoying the Scream compilation. It feels good listening to these songs on one album. Btw, I don't care if I already have them.

So here's a new review.
Backhanded compliments and totally dismissive of the HIStory album but the bolded part is why I posted this review.

The guy recommends Ghosts and Threatened!
Yes, and that is totally the point of this album - to get people into some MJ music other than the obvious hits. At least with one reviewer that has worked. Perhaps it'll work with the general public too.

Source: https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/10/album-review-michael-jackson-scream/

This makes me INCREDIBLY happy.

Regardless of sales, Scream is already a monumental success in my book. Highlighting the parts of Michael's discography that most high-tier outlets fail to recognize is something the Estate should have been doing from day one. Imagine how many people will pick this up/download this for their Halloween playlist and hear Unbreakable, Ghosts, Threatened, or Xscape for the first time. Maybe that'll cull them into listening to more of Michael's lesser-appreciated work. Maybe it'll transform someone from a casual fan to a hardcore fan.

Maybe I'm being incredibly optimistic. But if even one person develops a new appreciation for Michael Jackson's music because of Scream, there's no way it can be written off as a failure.

My wife (more into the likes of Oasis, Stone Roses, etc.) was in the car bopping along to SCREAM when 'Torture' came on. Towards the end of the song we had this conversation;

"Where's this song from?"

I said "It's a Jackson's single from long ago".

"I really like it. Did they do a lot of songs like this?" (I think she remembers J5 stuff but not 'Jacksons')

"Yep. Remember 'Can You Feel it?'?. This one's from an album a few years after." I said.

"I'll borrow the CDs, and download some tracks, if that's OK?"

She had me find her the 'Victory' album as soon as we got in. LOL.

Michael would of welcomed being made animated to highlight his unknown gems to the general public.

The estate should release threatened as a new release and promote it with a cool spooky video.

It would be amazing if the fan community could of made this no1 for Halloween in honour of his memory for that night.

xscape guy 2003;4208265 said:
The estate should release threatened as a new release and promote it with a cool spooky video..

This seems to be the next promotion:

andjustice4MJ‏ @andjustice4some · 7 Std.Vor 7 Stunden
It will be released on another date.

They were going to release last week but due to Las Vegas shootings

Jamie king directed, uses MJ one dancers and parts of Michael.

Also there is a BOTSF remix vid coming out soon.

Back