Michael Jackson's Record Sales ~merged~

Re: Michael Jackson's Record Sales

I've updated the list.

I changed the Thriller figure. I'm starting to dought that 100 million figure because when you add up sales from all over the world, it just doesn't add up. I'm going towards the 65 million figure. But its still by far the biggest selling album of all time and MJ is still the biggest selling solo artist of all time. The second biggest selling album of all time sold 42 million, which means that it would have to sell 25 million to catch up, and thats just not happening.

A step in the right direction, I think - you're right, the figures just don't add up to 100+ million. I still think 65 million is a tad high, but that's a personal opinion.

Perhaps now you'd also like to give credit where it's due *cough* mjjcharts *cough* for most of the figures that make up your first post...

A step in the right direction, I think - you're right, the figures just don't add up to 100+ million. I still think 65 million is a tad high, but that's a personal opinion.

Perhaps now you'd also like to give credit where it's due *cough* mjjcharts *cough* for most of the figures that make up your first post...

Sure. I'll do that. Are you the creator of the site? Because I think I saw your screen name on UKMIX with a link attached to your posts all the time.

I've updated the list.

I changed the Thriller figure. I'm starting to dought that 100 million figure because when you add up sales from all over the world, it just doesn't add up. I'm going towards the 65 million figure. But its still by far the biggest selling album of all time and MJ is still the biggest selling solo artist of all time. The second biggest selling album of all time sold 42 million, which means that it would have to sell 25 million to catch up, and thats just not happening.

I think 65 is a bit more realistic! If the number include the T25 sales I believe it could be about that!

Sure. I'll do that. Are you the creator of the site? Because I think I saw your screen name on UKMIX with a link attached to your posts all the time.

Yes, the site's mine - it's taken me four years to build the site, and considerably longer to research and collate all the info. I don't mind anyone quoting the sales estimates, etc. from the site, so long as they acknowledge their source - so thanks for doing so.

Yes, the site's mine - it's taken me four years to build the site, and considerably longer to research and collate all the info. I don't mind anyone quoting the sales estimates, etc. from the site, so long as they acknowledge their source - so thanks for doing so.

Wow, I'm really impressed with your work. I've learned a lot from that site. How do you get the sales from each country? It looks like hard work.

Wow, I'm really impressed with your work. I've learned a lot from that site. How do you get the sales from each country? It looks like hard work.

Glad you like the site - yes, it is hard work, but it's something I enjoy doing.

As for getting sales and certifications, I find them anywhere I can - many countries now have an online charts site (sometimes with certifications), plus I search forums (where UK/USA sales especially are sometimes posted), and of course I have personal contacts who sometimes have sales figures to share. Plenty of sales figures can be found online, of course, but be wary - many are unreliable (inflated, usually!).

Glad you like the site - yes, it is hard work, but it's something I enjoy doing.

As for getting sales and certifications, I find them anywhere I can - many countries now have an online charts site (sometimes with certifications), plus I search forums (where UK/USA sales especially are sometimes posted), and of course I have personal contacts who sometimes have sales figures to share. Plenty of sales figures can be found online, of course, but be wary - many are unreliable (inflated, usually!).

Nice to know. Keep up the good work. Because every time you update your stuff, I update mine for my own preferences.

UPDATE:After some new found certifications and estimations, Bad is now up to 33 million sold. It was previously stated thatit sold 32 million. Making bad the 9th biggest selling album of all time.

If anyone has any sales updates or sales didn't mention, Let me know so I can update the list.

Thriller has recently been certified as being 28 times Platinum in the US.

The figure for Number Ones seems a bit low. Its something that continues to sell well, I mean in the US alone last year Number Ones sold 300,000 copies bringing its total sales in the US to 1.7 million. Also at the rate its been continuing to sell in this year so far then there is no doubt for me that Number Ones will reach the 2 million figure in the US by the end of the year. Also although Number Ones has only been officially certified 4x Platinum in the UK it should actually be 5x Platinum (its actually been due for that certification for over 2 years) as it has sold 1.6 million copies in the UK.

Thriller has recently been certified as being 28 times Platinum in the US.

The figure for Number Ones seems a bit low. Its something that continues to sell well, I mean in the US alone last year Number Ones sold 300,000 copies bringing its total sales in the US to 1.7 million. Also at the rate its been continuing to sell in this year so far then there is no doubt for me that Number Ones will reach the 2 million figure in the US by the end of the year. Also although Number Ones has only been officially certified 4x Platinum in the UK it should actually be 5x Platinum (its actually been due for that certification for over 2 years) as it has sold 1.6 million copies in the UK.

The figure for Number Ones is about right.

It sold 5.585 in 23 countries. So 7 million is about right.

I'd also like to note to all the fans out there that I have lots of updated info on sales and I am updating them now and i will post them soon.

Last edited:

The figure for Number Ones is about right.

It sold 5.585 in 23 countries. So 7 million is about right.

I'd also like to note to all the fans out there that I have lots of updated info on sales and I am updating them now and i will post them soon.

Oh right, cool :). Thanks for keeping us up to date.

UPDATE:After some new found certifications and estimations for ALL catigories(Albums, Single, and Home Video) MJ's sales are at 355,089,572 allbums and singles sold. NOT INCLUDING HOME VIDEO

I can only laugh at this. I'd rather believe an official source than someone who just has some info from here and there and in fact nowhere.

I can only laugh at this. I'd rather believe an official source than someone who just has some info from here and there and in fact nowhere.

What do you mean? You think my info is wrong?

Thanks for the info.

Laugh,why??Cuz this guy has made some realistic approach??Well there will never be official source on this cuz nobody exactly knows about the sales and they all talk about estimated sales..So you really think Elvis sold more than Billion Records??That's most hilarious thing I've ever heard cuz back then when Elvis was still alive not whole world used to listen to American artists and still in many big countries Elvis is not very well known Arrtist so it's impossible to believe Elvis sold Billion Records.But ya I only have problem with his Thriller Sales Firgure,it gotta be over 100 Million for sure now but anyways still he has done wonderful job here.:clapping:

Laugh,why??Cuz this guy has made some realistic approach??Well there will never be official source on this cuz nobody exactly knows about the sales and they all talk about estimated sales..So you really think Elvis sold more than Billion Records??That's most hilarious thing I've ever heard cuz back then when Elvis was still alive not whole world used to listen to American artists and still in many big countries Elvis is not very well known Arrtist so it's impossible to believe Elvis sold Billion Records.But ya I only have problem with his Thriller Sales Firgure,it gotta be over 100 Million for sure now but anyways still he has done wonderful job here.:clapping:

Thanks

Well when you do a market by market break-down of Thriller's sales I really can't see Thriller selling 100 million.

Here is how much it sold in 24 countries. Its strongest markets:

USA : 28.200.000
Canada : 3.250.000
Brésil : 1.375.000
Mexique : 1.200.000
Argentine : 650.000

Japon : 2.700.000
Singapour : 50.000

Australie : 1.000.000
Nouvelle-Zélande : 165.000

Europe : 16.820.000
- UK : 4.280.000 (4.020.000)
- France : 3.200.000 (3.000.000)
- Allemagne : 1.900.000 (1.850.000)
- Espagne : 1.100.000
- Italie : 1.280.000 (1.240.000)
- Pays-Bas : 1.000.000 (950.000)
- Suède : 400.000
- Finlande : 92.000
- Autriche : 400.000
- Suisse : 360.000 (340.000)
- Belgique : 550.000
- Portugal : 81.000
- Danemark : 180.000
- Norvège : 150.000+

Turquie : 300.000

See. only 55.7 million sold in its strongest markets.

The highest I see it going to is 65 million for now.

Now if you include the unit sales of the album + singles + 'Making Michael Jackson's Thriller'

you get 101.816 million units. Now add unit sales of Thriller: 25 and you get an even higer number.

Thriller didn't sell 100 million by its self, but it did sell over 100 million with all Thriller related records.

Thanks

Well when you do a market by market break-down of Thriller's sales I really can't see Thriller selling 100 million.

Here is how much it sold in 24 countries. Its strongest markets:

USA : 28.200.000
Canada : 3.250.000
Brésil : 1.375.000
Mexique : 1.200.000
Argentine : 650.000

Japon : 2.700.000
Singapour : 50.000

Australie : 1.000.000
Nouvelle-Zélande : 165.000

Europe : 16.820.000
- UK : 4.280.000 (4.020.000)
- France : 3.200.000 (3.000.000)
- Allemagne : 1.900.000 (1.850.000)
- Espagne : 1.100.000
- Italie : 1.280.000 (1.240.000)
- Pays-Bas : 1.000.000 (950.000)
- Suède : 400.000
- Finlande : 92.000
- Autriche : 400.000
- Suisse : 360.000 (340.000)
- Belgique : 550.000
- Portugal : 81.000
- Danemark : 180.000
- Norvège : 150.000+

Turquie : 300.000

See. only 55.7 million sold in its strongest markets.

The highest I see it going to is 65 million for now.

Now if you include the unit sales of the album + singles + 'Making Michael Jackson's Thriller'

you get 101.816 million units. Now add unit sales of Thriller: 25 and you get an even higer number.

Thriller didn't sell 100 million by its self, but it did sell over 100 million with all Thriller related records.

You havent added India and China,the countries with biggest population.In China people really buy into Michael Jackson and even in India Im sure there will be more sales you can find plus all these figures that you have mentioned are also estimates,Im not quite sure if they are exact figures(though I maybe wrong).I mean who in this world doesn't own Thriller,and there are many fans who bought more than 1 copy.I myself have about 8-9 copies of Thriller and anyway RIAA certification of Thriller is not good enough,I mean they wanna say nobody after 1990 bought Thriller.It's impossible if Sony to be believed Thriller sales have always been great no matter what.But I think it's mystery we will never be able to solve so it's better if we stuck to what we believe.:yes:

You havent added India and China,the countries with biggest population.In China people really buy into Michael Jackson and even in India Im sure there will be more sales you can find plus all these figures that you have mentioned are also estimates,Im not quite sure if they are exact figures(though I maybe wrong).I mean who in this world doesn't own Thriller,and there are many fans who bought more than 1 copy.I myself have about 8-9 copies of Thriller and anyway RIAA certification of Thriller is not good enough,I mean they wanna say nobody after 1990 bought Thriller.It's impossible if Sony to be believed Thriller sales have always been great no matter what.But I think it's mystery we will never be able to solve so it's better if we stuck to what we believe.:yes:

Well 'Bad' sold 150k in India up to 1989. That puts it easily among the best sellers ever there. Thriller and Dangerous sold probably around the same, all should be at 150/200k now.

In China, both Dangerous and Bad are among the best sellers ever too with close to 500k each.

And those are HUGE sales in countries like those. The problem is record sales are poorly tracked in counties like those. Sales are best recorded in the USA, UK, canada, japan, Australia, and Continental Europe. No one else bothers with the rest of the world, so global sales are based on those main markets.

The figures I gave for country by country for Thriller are based on certifications + known sales (mainly concerning the U.S. according to sound scan). Like for example, the RIAA certified 8 million for Bad, but that certification is REALLY old, and Bad is around 10 million+ now in the U.S.

I mean Thriller might be more than 65 million. I'd say it would be anywhere between 65 million and 108 million.

And Thriller was just recently certified back in March for selling 28 million.

But that doesn't seem right to me considering that Thriller sells on average 66-130 thousand a year there. Plus the 750 thousand from Thriller: 25.

Something is not right here in the U.S.

Well 'Bad' sold 150k in India up to 1989. That puts it easily among the best sellers ever there. Thriller and Dangerous sold probably around the same, all should be at 150/200k now.

In China, both Dangerous and Bad are among the best sellers ever too with close to 500k each.

And those are HUGE sales in countries like those. The problem is record sales are poorly tracked in counties like those. Sales are best recorded in the USA, UK, canada, japan, Australia, and Continental Europe. No one else bothers with the rest of the world, so global sales are based on those main markets.

The figures I gave for country by country for Thriller are based on certifications + known sales (mainly concerning the U.S. according to sound scan). Like for example, the RIAA certified 8 million for Bad, but that certification is REALLY old, and Bad is around 10 million+ now in the U.S.

I mean Thriller might be more than 65 million. I'd say it would be anywhere between 65 million and 108 million.

And Thriller was just recently certified back in March for selling 28 million.

But that doesn't seem right to me considering that Thriller sells on average 66-130 thousand a year there. Plus the 750 thousand from Thriller: 25.

Something is not right here in the U.S.

I don't know why but there's always somethin fishy in sale figures of Mike in USA especially.They don't count them time to time plus still thriller is behind eagles greatest hits album in USA thts unbelievable story..

^ hasn't Thriller surpassed the Eagles by now? The last time I checked, the Eagles album sold 26 million in the US, and Thriller was at 25 mill. Now that thriller has been recertified at 28 million, that should put Michael back in front.

^ thanks for replying. I have no idea how the Eagles sold that much in the US. 29x platinum for a greatest hits record is amazing! They must have a LOT of fans

Just an update for everyone, Live in Bucharest - The Dangerous Tour DVD has now been certified 4 x Platinum in Australia meaning it sold a total of 60,000 copies there.

Back