Michael Jackson's Record Sales ~merged~

Re: MJ #1 This Week In US, Set To Be #1 Next Week As Well

How many album copies he has sold world-wide after his passing?! It must be 14-15 millions or more??

How many album copies he has sold world-wide after his passing?! It must be 14-15 millions or more??

11 million albums and 14 million singles roughly.

Re: Michael Jackson's Record Sales

So in India, that a billion country, as well as China, there were sold only 150,000-500,000 albums???

Miserable numbers.... :doh:

Not really. Those are some of the highest sellers ever there. But I agree only 150-200K for a country with over a billion people.

I guess they have a small music market or something

Not really. Those are some of the highest sellers ever there. But I agree only 150-200K for a country with over a billion people.

I guess they have a small music market or something

guys keep in mind that in those countries it's not like I return home saturday night after the movies and stop at the hmv to get a record..
things are somewhat different there

So in India, that a billion country, as well as China, there were sold only 150,000-500,000 albums???

Miserable numbers.... :doh:

For a Western artist to sell that amount in those countries is actually pretty huge. Their market is much different from other countries and is dominated mostly by their own acts.

there is no such thing as a "music charts guru" in those places (india, china, etc) COZ THEY DONT HAVE CHARTS THERE! eek. they simply do NOT track the sales. Sony can track the shipments, meaning they know how many million copies of an album they SENT to the stores... but the actual SALES of the albums ARE NOT KNOWN (anyone claiming otherwise is simply either misinformed, or lying)

as far as the 150k estimates someone gave on certain albums in china and india.. gimme a break! i know i dont have the exact numbers for india or china, but use common sense. they are populated in the multi billions! In a country like australia, which only has 20million (50 TIMES LESS than a billion) Thriller has sold over 1,000,000 copies! Its 15times platinum here! 70,000 copies per 1 time platinum. Over a million copies sold of Thriller in Australia. Plus then you have the REST of his catalogue. Stats taken from albums in the Top 50 albums right now indicate from those albums alone he has accumulated an addtional 44 times platinum (excluding albums not currently in the top 50)... 44x Platinum is 3,100,000... 3.1 million copies, plus the Thriller sales of 1millon = 4,000,000+ copies of albums sold ONLY COUNTING CURRENT TOP 50 CHARTING ALBUMS! Which excludes ALL the J5 albums, early solo MJ albums, The Jacksons album etc!

So if you think of those numbers, and then think of the same numbers in a country with more than 50 times more people, you begin to get a picture of how many records MJ has sold worldwide.

Australia = 20 million people

India + China = like 2.5 billion people

Australian sales of albums ONLY in the top 50 TODAY = over 4 million.

China and India combined have over 100 times more people.

Do the math.

He's sold a lot of records.

A LOT!

Reactions: AGB

Great post damien :). This is why I have a problem with mediatraffic because they can only report the sales of certain countries and do not know the sales from a lot of larger territories, therefore Michael's sales are probably a lot higher than what we think they are.

there is no such thing as a "music charts guru" in those places (india, china, etc) COZ THEY DONT HAVE CHARTS THERE! eek. they simply do NOT track the sales. Sony can track the shipments, meaning they know how many million copies of an album they SENT to the stores... but the actual SALES of the albums ARE NOT KNOWN (anyone claiming otherwise is simply either misinformed, or lying)

as far as the 150k estimates someone gave on certain albums in china and india.. gimme a break! i know i dont have the exact numbers for india or china, but use common sense. they are populated in the multi billions! In a country like australia, which only has 20million (50 TIMES LESS than a billion) Thriller has sold over 1,000,000 copies! Its 15times platinum here! 70,000 copies per 1 time platinum. Over a million copies sold of Thriller in Australia. Plus then you have the REST of his catalogue. Stats taken from albums in the Top 50 albums right now indicate from those albums alone he has accumulated an addtional 44 times platinum (excluding albums not currently in the top 50)... 44x Platinum is 3,100,000... 3.1 million copies, plus the Thriller sales of 1millon = 4,000,000+ copies of albums sold ONLY COUNTING CURRENT TOP 50 CHARTING ALBUMS! Which excludes ALL the J5 albums, early solo MJ albums, The Jacksons album etc!

So if you think of those numbers, and then think of the same numbers in a country with more than 50 times more people, you begin to get a picture of how many records MJ has sold worldwide.

Australia = 20 million people

India + China = like 2.5 billion people

Australian sales of albums ONLY in the top 50 TODAY = over 4 million.

China and India combined have over 100 times more people.

Do the math.

He's sold a lot of records.

A LOT!

Your right. But that chart guru was someone who tracks all sales worldwide. No just India and china.

Here is something interesting I found on billboard Magazine(the special MJ tribute)

Sony says by 1994 they sold 1.4 million ALBUMS in Hong Kong(city in China) and Taiwan(city in china) ALONE. Jackson never visited mainland China, but Sony sold 300,000 ALBUMS there since 2002. Although censorship has prevented release of his entire catalog.

And I believe this 300,000 figure is BEFORE is death.

Now for India. Its kind of a different story. A person who works for Sony India claims that Thriller:25 sold 15,000(not bad for a low promoted re-mix album). But Thriller's initial sales are 100,000 according to former branch manger of the southern region of CBS India. And Bad(that was translated) sold 200,000. BUT BUT BUT, none of these include millions of pirated versions that have been sold.

And I was talking online with this Indian and he says that MJ is VERY popular in India. And he knows a friend who sells many bootleg versions of his albums.

Great post Damien. I believe that if all the legit and pirated versions of MJ albums were to be added up since MJ's first single way back in the Jackson 5 right through til today...his total album sales in China are in the MILLIONS, with additional MILLIONS in India. If MJ can sell over 4 million albums in Australia (a country that only has 20 million population), then Michael has obviously sold much more in India and China. It's common sense.

The International Federation of Phonographic Industry estimated (in 2006) that 85% of physical music sold in China is pirated.

The number of "original" CD's that he has sold in China is probably only very modest.

Btw...there is a possibility now that Michael Jackson's Number Ones album could be #2 next week. It's a tight race with Fabolous' new album. Hits Daily Double is expecting both albums to sell about 100,000 copies so get out there and buy Number Ones to make it #1 for the 5th week!!

Is there any update from Hits Daily Double? I tried their website but is not accessible.

Is there any update from Hits Daily Double? I tried their website but is not accessible.

No update as of yet...expect something this afternoon. Actual results will not be reported on until tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon.

not sure if this goes here but i thought it might.. i heard tonight on cnn some statists of MJ's records sales thought id share. this is just retail and ipod type sales.

Michael Jackson has the most records sold ever for a performer that has passed away. He is the king of music IMO.

since his passing he has sold 3.73 mil albums. so his music is living on. sorry if this is morrib to some. i just thought the fact that he is the top selling artist was awesome. they mentioned some other statistics but i didnt write it all down.

Your right. But that chart guru was someone who tracks all sales worldwide. No just India and china.

Here is something interesting I found on billboard Magazine(the special MJ tribute)

Sony says by 1994 they sold 1.4 million ALBUMS in Hong Kong(city in China) and Taiwan(city in china) ALONE. Jackson never visited mainland China, but Sony sold 300,000 ALBUMS there since 2002. Although censorship has prevented release of his entire catalog.

And I believe this 300,000 figure is BEFORE is death.

Now for India. Its kind of a different story. A person who works for Sony India claims that Thriller:25 sold 15,000(not bad for a low promoted re-mix album). But Thriller's initial sales are 100,000 according to former branch manger of the southern region of CBS India. And Bad(that was translated) sold 200,000. BUT BUT BUT, none of these include millions of pirated versions that have been sold.

And I was talking online with this Indian and he says that MJ is VERY popular in India. And he knows a friend who sells many bootleg versions of his albums.

Yes it's very true in India MJ is still very popular and I've seen that madness when he came to India in 96.And back then we had Audio Casettes cuz CDs used to be very very expensive.I personally bought 10 copies of Bad album on CBS.And back then everybody had copy of Bad album on audio casette.And piracy wasnt a issue when Mike's Dangerous was released.Actually the proper release of any non Indian Artist started with the album Dangerous,even Bad wasnt released officially when it was released in 87.I got my copy from USA cuz it was so hard to find original copy of Bad and I was just a kid back then lol..But I still remember those days precisely cuz those were like magic moments for me..hehe

Yes its very true the number of Sales for India are not accurate and I can say that..I mean who doesnt own Bad album in India,everybody I know had a copy and back then it was like a status symbol for Kids in school.If you dont have Bad then you're stupid..:D

Many different sources from many different people. But these are the avr. estimations on sales.

Well that 750 million figure seems kind of a stretch to me because when you add up his sales, they don't really add up to that amount. Its a possibility if you include the unit sales of every track his voice was on, but with his solo recordings 392 million seems about right.

Here's how I see it.

The biggest selling music acts of all time:

1) The Beatles- 400-420

2) Michael Jackson- 392 million

3) Elvis Presley- 300-330 million

The Beatels Sold more. Their at 495 million records. MJ is at 335.

KB50MJ You claimed on your 02/13/2009 post(quotes above) that the Beatles sold 400-420 million records. Then on your 06/19/2009 post you claimed the Beatles has sold 495 million records?

How have the Beatles(495 million) sold 50-75 million units this year(and I 'm even adding the entire year of 2009; still this is too many sales folks)!?!? Where is their chart positions and sales info to back up this ridiculous claim. You need to post this info or are you too "inflating sales figures". I believe that Michael Jackson has really outsold the Beatles. Their numbers are purposely inflated(by everyone in the Music industry and people like you. and you know this. Produce a chart(estimating) of all Beatles sales as you are doing with MJ and you will see that(like with the Eagles greatest hits) it's does not add up. I will post an article(below) that was published by Billboard and Reuters to illustrate this point.

^^ The Eagles are 29x platinum since '07.

These numbers are nonsense. Read below and see why I know this.

So you think that Thriller has sold more than 40 million copies since 1992 ?? That seem unrealistic to me. Knowing that an album sells best the first years it's out makes it impossible to me that Thriller should have sold just as good from 1993-2008 as it did from 1982-1993!

As unrealistic as this; Hess perhaps???

...................................................................................................

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSTRE56I2B820090719

"Thriller" sales soar close to Eagles' "Hits"

Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:15pm EDT By Ed Christman

NEW YORK (Billboard) - For nearly a decade, the Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975" has been the recording industry's ultimate evergreen release, certified by the RIAA as the all-time best-selling album in the United States. But thanks to continued robust demand for Michael Jackson's catalog since his June 25 death, "Thriller" appears on the verge of matching "Their Greatest Hits," at least in the eyes of the industry trade group.
In March, the Recording Industry Association of America certified "Thriller" as 28 times platinum, meaning that at least 28 million copies of the album have been shipped since its 1982 release. That's just a notch behind the Eagles' hits compilation, which was released in 1976 and was certified 29 times platinum in 2006.
Billboard estimates that the posthumous surge in Jackson's sales and Sony Music Entertainment's efforts to push Jackson CDs into the distribution pipeline have likely propelled shipments of Jackson product, if not yet sales, beyond the 29 million-unit mark in the United States.
Amid the recent explosion in Jackson sales, "Thriller" has enjoyed the second-biggest sales bump in his catalog, just behind the hits collection "Number Ones." During the three weeks that ended July 12, "Thriller" sold 552,000 U.S. copies, for year-to-date sales of 608,000, according to Nielsen Sound Scan.
STRONG SALES TO CONTINUE
Most industry executives believe that the most recent Sound scan week -- which included the widely watched memorial service for Jackson at the Staples Center in Los Angeles -- will mark a posthumous weekly peak for Jackson sales. They also expect sales to wind down slowly in the next few months, which means sales will remain strong. In the week ended July 12, Jackson's album catalog sold a combined 1.1 million copies, up from nearly 800,000 in the preceding week and 422,000 in the week he died.
"Thriller" and "Their Greatest Hits" were instant hits. The RIAA first certified "Thriller" platinum in January 1983, just two months after its release, while "Their Greatest Hits" was certified platinum in February 1976, mere days after it arrived.
Propelled by groundbreaking videos for the singles "Billie Jean," "Beat It" and the title track, "Thriller" reached the 20 million certification milestone in October 1984, becoming the RIAA's top-selling album of all time. The album's next RIAA certification, at 21 times platinum, came in May 1990. The RIAA's certification of "Thriller" as 28 times platinum in March came 13 months after Sony's release of a deluxe 25th-anniversary edition of the album.
The RIAA's second certification of shipments of the Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits" didn't occur until August 1990, when it certified the release as 12 times platinum. The RIAA couldn't immediately explain why the album wasn't certified at earlier platinum milestones, or why it was next certified at 14 times platinum in December 1993, and for 22 times in June 1995, despite U.S. sales of only 919,000 during that period. When the RIAA certified "Their Greatest Hits" as 26 times platinum in November 1999, it unseated "Thriller" at the top of the RIAA's all-time ranking.
Since being certified as 29 times platinum in January 2006, "Their Greatest Hits" has sold 404,000 copies, including 33,000 this year and 115,000 in 2008.
Representatives at Sony and Warner Music Group, which distributes "Their Greatest Hits," declined to comment.
........................................................................................

Quote:
"Thriller" reached the 20 million certification milestone in October 1984, becoming the RIAA's top-selling album of all time. The album's next RIAA certification, at 21 time’s platinum, came in May 1990.

This says it all, only 1 million (21xUS) Thriller sales from 1984-1990???
(166,667+ copies sold per year)
1991- (March)2009-17.3yrs.7,000,000 million(28xUS) more sales (404624 + units per year)

Quote:
The RIAA's second certification of shipments of the Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits" didn't occur until August 1990, when it certified the release as 12 time’s platinum. The RIAA couldn't immediately explain why the album wasn't certified at earlier platinum milestones, or why it was next certified at 14 times platinum in December 1993, and for 22 times in June 1995

(1,000,000 (1xUS) albums sold)

1976- 1990
11 million (12xUS) sales!!!???
(785,715+ US albums per year)

1990-1993 (14xUS) 3,000,000 more sales!!!???
(1,000,000+ copies per year)

1994- 1995 (22xUS) 8,000,000 more sales!!!??
(4,000,000+ copies per year more) sales???!!!!!
1996-2007 (29xUS) 7,000,000 more sales!!!??? (636,000+ copies per year more) sales???!!!

This is a fraud it all done to dethrone Thriller. We have discussed this issue for years now all can see these insane numbers. This is unbelievable!

Please do not ignore this please respond with verification only please.

Last edited:

I hope his kids are or will be taught how to handle with all that money. If they will be too much dressed up they will be stressed up and in the end messed up. I love Paris and all the others so much it would be so wrong if they were ruined. Now its up to Kate to teach them about the money and its risks...

Sorry Damien, but this is really - unreal.
This is not a simple math, because of its impossible to sell official products in China and India, and still, only Sony can update real numbers of selling

The International Federation of Phonographic Industry estimated (in 2006) that 85% of physical music sold in China is pirated.

The number of "original" CD's that he has sold in China is probably only very modest.

absolutely agree

Yes its very true the number of Sales for India are not accurate and I can say that..I mean who doesnt own Bad album in India,everybody I know had a copy and back then it was like a status symbol for Kids in school.If you dont have Bad then you're stupid..:D

well, why this fact is not in reports about MJs global successes?
Why Sony or any music mags dont mention these facts?

Why Michaels sales is underrated??? and Elvis and The Beatles are the only GODs, if Michael sold more them them?

Quote:
"Thriller" reached the 20 million certification milestone in October 1984, becoming the RIAA's top-selling album of all time. The album's next RIAA certification, at 21 time’s platinum, came in May 1990.

This says it all, only 1 million (21xUS) Thriller sales from 1984-1990???
(166,667+ copies sold per year)
1991- (March)2009-17.3yrs.7,000,000 million(28xUS) more sales (404624 + units per year)

Quote:
The RIAA's second certification of shipments of the Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits" didn't occur until August 1990, when it certified the release as 12 time’s platinum. The RIAA couldn't immediately explain why the album wasn't certified at earlier platinum milestones, or why it was next certified at 14 times platinum in December 1993, and for 22 times in June 1995

(1,000,000 (1xUS) albums sold)

1976- 1990
11 million (12xUS) sales!!!???
(785,715+ US albums per year)

1990-1993 (14xUS) 3,000,000 more sales!!!???
(1,000,000+ copies per year)

1994- 1995 (22xUS) 8,000,000 more sales!!!??
(4,000,000+ copies per year more) sales???!!!!!
1996-2007 (29xUS) 7,000,000 more sales!!!??? (636,000+ copies per year more) sales???!!!

This is a fraud it all done to dethrone Thriller. We have discussed this issue for years now all can see these insane numbers. This is unbelievable!

Please do not ignore this please respond with verification only please.

This is it, RIIA consciously underrates MJs sales numbers, these groups of music business people are permanently trying to reduce MJ as the artist and his success, I hope that after Michaels death, the reality will be revealed because of the strong sale not only in the US, that they can not ignore!

I just checked it and he is still #1 for the 5th week. :kickass:

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

Edit: it says last updated 4 Aug but chart date is 3 Aug so I am little confused! :scratch:

54% of outlets have reported so far, and it appears MJ will in fact be #1 again the US. His Number Ones album will shift well over the 100,000 initial projection . Jackson should also have another top 5 album with Essential. Thriller will remain in the top 10 as well. Bad, Dangerous, and Off The Wall will make the Top 20 giving Jackson 6 albums in the Top 20.

Final results from HitsDailyDouble will be released this evening with final Nielsen Soundscan numbers due out tomorrow morning.

Thanks smooth_criminal05 for the clarifications.

I believe once it is confirmed then we must consider celebrating because 5 weeks as No. 1 is a big deal in addition to having other 5 albums in the top 20 so far.

Last edited:

KB50MJ You claimed on your 02/13/2009 post(quotes above) that the Beatles sold 400-420 million records. Then on your 06/19/2009 post you claimed the Beatles has sold 495 million records?

How have the Beatles(495 million) sold 50-75 million units this year(and I 'm even adding the entire year of 2009; still this is too many sales folks)!?!? Where is their chart positions and sales info to back up this ridiculous claim. You need to post this info or are you too "inflating sales figures". I believe that Michael Jackson has really outsold the Beatles. Their numbers are purposely inflated(by everyone in the Music industry and people like you. and you know this. Produce a chart(estimating) of all Beatles sales as you are doing with MJ and you will see that(like with the Eagles greatest hits) it's does not add up. I will post an article(below) that was published by Billboard and Reuters to illustrate this point.

Hey look. I'm not trying to inflate The Beatles sales. I'm just giving credit where it was due.

Lets break down their album sales:
1. Please Please Me (1963)- 5 million

2. With The Beatles (1963)- 6.2 million

3. Meet The Beatles!(1964)- 7 million

4. Introducing The Beatles (1964)- 3.5 million

5. Beatles For Sale (1964)- 6 million

6. The Beatles's Second Album (1964)- 3 million

7. A Hard Day's Night (1964)- 10.2 million

8. Something New (1964)- 3 million

9. Beatles '65 (1965)- 4.5 million

10. The Beatles VI (1965)- 4 million

11. Help!(1965)- 10.3 million

12. Rubber Soul (1965)- 13.9 million

13. "Yesterday" … And Today (1966)- 3 million

14. Revolver (1966)- 11.3 million

15. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)- 26.2 million

16. Magical Mystery Tour (1967)- 9.5 million

17. The Beatles (White Album)(1968)- 19.1 million

18. Yellow Submarine (1969)- 5.5 million

19. Abbey Road (1969)- 26.4 million

20. Hey Jude (1970)- 5 million

21. Let It Be (1970)- 10.2 million

Separation of the group.

22. The Beatles 1962-1966 (1973)- 24.6 million

23. The Beatles 1967-1970 (1973)- 24.6 million

24. Rock 'N' Roll Music (1976)- 4.5 million

25. The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl (1977)- 4 million

26. Love Songs (1977)- 3 million

27. 20 Greatest Hits (1982)- 5 million

28. Past Masters Vol 1 (1988)- 2 million

29. Past Masters Vol 2 (1988)- 2.5 million

30. Live At The BBC (1994)- 7 million

31. Anthology 1 (1995)- 10 million

32. Anthology 2 (1996)- 4.6 million

33. Anthology 3 (1996)- 3.5 million

34. One (2000)- 30.8 million

35. Let It Be ... Naked (2003)- 3.6 million

+ 20 million for any other special albums released in any country (Rarities, Beatles Ballads, Greatest Hits, Reel Music, Rock 'N' Roll Music I and II, etc ... Boxed Set)
+ 5 million for "Love".

So Their ALBUM sales are 350 million. Thats ahead of MJ. MJ has 235 million BEFORE he died.

And according to some the Beatles Sold 140 million singles. Now I'm not sure if thats entirely accurate, but if it is that would make their sales 490 million.

But The Beatles still outsold MJ with their album sales alone. MJ SOLO sold around 335 million records before he died. But if you include We Are The world and Jackson 5. Then MJ sold 495 million. matching or surpassing The Beatles. But if we do that for MJ, then we have to so it for Paul M. as well and their number raises even higher.

I do think some of Beatles sales are inflated by some bodies and the same goes for Elvis. Last year RIAA said that both the Beatles and Elvis sold 1.4 million albums yet not once did I ever see their albums chart on the catalog chart in the US or the comprehensive album chart so how on earth did they manage to sell that much. In comparison Michael's Thriller 25 was in the charts and sold well and Number Ones was pretty much on the catalog album nearly all last year with some appearances by The Essential and they say he sold 1.4 million albums last year. So how is it that The Beatles and Elvis were album to 'sell 1.4 million' in the US last year when they weren't even anywhere on the charts at all, it just doesn't add up.

I know that The Beatles have sold more than Michael and I'm not denying that but its clear that numbers to do with them and also with Elvis get fiddled around a lot and are inflated to make them higher particularly in the US. In 2005, the IFPI said that The Beatles had sold 450 million, I have a real hard time believing that over the past 4 years The Beatles have sold 40 million more singles/albums since then, I really do. The same thing happened with The Eagles Greatest Hits, the figures for that really don't add up at all when you look how there were absolutely huge jumps in certifications in very short periods of time.

So all in all do I believe The Beatles are the biggest selling artists of all time? YES and they've earned it but I think there's been some inflation by certain bodies of actual sales figures for some of the releases.

Last edited:

54% of outlets have reported so far, and it appears MJ will in fact be #1 again the US. His Number Ones album will shift well over the 100,000 initial projection . Jackson should also have another top 5 album with Essential. Thriller will remain in the top 10 as well. Bad, Dangerous, and Off The Wall will make the Top 20 giving Jackson 6 albums in the Top 20.

Final results from HitsDailyDouble will be released this evening with final Nielsen Soundscan numbers due out tomorrow morning.

Hits Daily Double was updated already and now it is Final and Michael is #1 for the 5th week :)

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

:kickass:

Hey look. I'm not trying to inflate The Beatles sales. I'm just giving credit where it was due.

Lets break down their album sales:

So Their ALBUM sales are 350 million. Thats ahead of MJ. MJ has 235 million BEFORE he died.

And according to some the Beatles Sold 140 million singles. Now I'm not sure if thats entirely accurate, but if it is that would make their sales 490 million.

But The Beatles still outsold MJ with their album sales alone. MJ SOLO sold around 335 million records before he died. But if you include We Are The world and Jackson 5. Then MJ sold 495 million. matching or surpassing The Beatles. But if we do that for MJ, then we have to so it for Paul M. as well and their number raises even higher.

I already know these "sales numbers" My point was and is show the actual certification dates. If you can find and post these you as well all others reading this will see (with the Eagles article I posted) the numbers are out of proportion with the billboard chart back catalogue (soundscan) weekly reports. There are actual posts here at MJJC that track MJ weekly/ yearly sales.

His are verified. Let's see the "Fab 4s" verification also.

about the worldwide sales 2009 for albums.
thriller is at number 3 at the moment. first u2, second lady gaga.
anyone know how much they sold this year?

about the worldwide sales 2009 for albums.
thriller is at number 3 at the moment. first u2, second lady gaga.
anyone know how much they sold this year?

Michael Jackson's Thriller has sold just over 2 million albums this year globally. On the contrast, Lady Gaga's The Fame has sold about 2.8 million, and U2's new album has sold just over 3 million.

Back