Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

That's the 1 million dollar question...

I doubt it will ever be released on DVD/Blu-Ray - so they should get it on Netflix og youtube or some others streaming service.

I still wish and hope it will get a UHD 4K Blu Ray release with The Making of Thriller - and maybe even Ghosts and the making of Ghosts.

But I start to doubt it will happen.

Since some years have passed since this was announced / made...why exactly is this remaster not on youtube yet? What was/is their plan?
If they're not planning to sell it in a way, they should just upload it.
Take On Me by A-ha also got reuploaded on YouTube in 4K. So what are they waiting on ?? :I
Wouldn't people need the 3D glasses to watch it? I'm not sure, but don't you need a special TV or monitor for 3D as well?

I could and hope I'm wrong, but didn't the estate say they had trouble finding all the master audio tracks which is why it was remixed?

Regardless this does deserve a release in some format.

They do not need to release it in 3D - I don't know anyone who watch 3D at home with glasses on... - And I know many who bought 3D flatscreens, but none of them uses the 3D function.

So just release a normal Blu-Ray and UHD - with Thriller in the best possible quality - and put The Making of Thriller on there too. :)

Wouldn't people need the 3D glasses to watch it? I'm not sure, but don't you need a special TV or monitor for 3D as well?

I think he just means the HD version. I don't think most people really care about the 3D. Most want to see it in HD.

Last edited:
I think he just means the HD version. I don't think most people really care about the 3D. Most want to see it in HD.
I wouldn't say "most" is exactly true since DVD still outsells Blu Ray. 4K disc buyers are a very small percentage.

I wouldn't say "most" is exactly true since DVD still outsells Blu Ray. 4K disc buyers are a very small percentage.

DVD may be outselling Blu-Ray but that doesn't mean people don't want HD. Most people who use streaming services like Netflix watch the content in HD. HD is very important.

videos

DVD may be outselling Blu-Ray but that doesn't mean people don't want HD. Most people who use streaming services like Netflix watch the content in HD. HD is very important.
They're not music videos though. How many music video channels are HD? Unless they're showing newly made ones, the videos are unlikely to be HD anyway such as VH-1 Classic. Same on Youtube, most old videos are SD. A few really popular songs and/or music videos have been restored in 4K. HD on Youtube doesn't really mean anything. I've seen lots of people upload videos, old TV shows, and movies from their VHS tapes and they're posted as HD or 4K. Supposedly Janet's Control video is HD and that was uploaded by her record label. The sound quality is better, but the picture quality doesn't look any different than the one previously up.

It's doesn't needs to be 3D. as long it's HD with the making of thriller and they can even put ghosts there as many asked for. we all will be happy campers. not to mention all his short films.

They need to release it in HD - and if they make a DVD/Blu-Ray/UHD release they need to add some extra content - and the making of Thriller makes a lot of sense.

They could make it a combo release with Ghosts - and the making of Ghosts.

If it is released on streaming services it will naturally be in 4K

I know absolutely no one who wants 3D. - I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 3D thing is dead... - After Avatar it was very modern for some years with 3D, and it destroyed a lot of movies because so much energy was used in these 3D effects that added absolutely nothing to the movie. I am so glad movies are not made as 3D anymore. - this is of course only my opinion. :)

They need to release it in HD - and if they make a DVD/Blu-Ray/UHD release they need to add some extra content - and the making of Thriller makes a lot of sense.

They could make it a combo release with Ghosts - and the making of Ghosts.

If it is released on streaming services it will naturally be in 4K

I know absolutely no one who wants 3D. - I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 3D thing is dead... - After Avatar it was very modern for some years with 3D, and it destroyed a lot of movies because so much energy was used in these 3D effects that added absolutely nothing to the movie. I am so glad movies are not made as 3D anymore. - this is of course only my opinion. :)
Most big movies are still released in 3D in cinemas.

Most big movies are still released in 3D in cinemas.

Really? - I don't see many movies coming to cinemas in 3D anymore. - But then again, with a 3 month old baby I don't go much in cinemas anymore.

Danish movies are never in 3D.

dam2040;4307628 said:
I really feel we’ll never see this.

I fear it too. - BUT - now Ghosts comes to Youtube this Halloween - so maybe they will give us Thriller in HD next year.

One can only hope

Really? - I don't see many movies coming to cinemas in 3D anymore. - But then again, with a 3 month old baby I don't go much in cinemas anymore.

Danish movies are never in 3D.

Cinemas usually play movies in both 2D or 3D. Not all movies have 3D option but big movies like Star Wars and superhero movies usually have.

Re: videos

They're not music videos though. How many music video channels are HD? Unless they're showing newly made ones, the videos are unlikely to be HD anyway such as VH-1 Classic. Same on Youtube, most old videos are SD. A few really popular songs and/or music videos have been restored in 4K. HD on Youtube doesn't really mean anything. I've seen lots of people upload videos, old TV shows, and movies from their VHS tapes and they're posted as HD or 4K. Supposedly Janet's Control video is HD and that was uploaded by her record label. The sound quality is better, but the picture quality doesn't look any different than the one previously up.

For new uploads it is very important. Everyone is used to HD at this point. Also the control video was probably just badly upscaled. Many artist have been claiming to be uploading HD versions of videos but just uploading SD stretched or badly upscaled with AI. If it's actually HD the difference is objectively better and clearer.

Re: videos

For new uploads it is very important. Everyone is used to HD at this point. Also the control video was probably just badly upscaled. Many artist have been claiming to be uploading HD versions of videos but just uploading SD stretched or badly upscaled with AI. If it's actually HD the difference is objectively better and clearer.
If DVDs are still the biggest seller, HD can't be that important for everybody. If you go into a Walmart, most of the selection is DVD. Most TV shows are not put on Blu Ray either, only DVD. It's the same for things like exercise videos. Also a lot of TV channels aren't HD, especially regular free (non cable/satellite) channels. Even if the channel itself broadcasts in HD, not every program on it is. With streaming, not everybody has fast enough internet and some rural areas don't have internet access at all. Many people can't afford internet and many people don't even have a computer, which affects a lot of kids currently out of school because of the virus. They can't do online classes.

If something was filmed and/or edited on videotape, it can't be converted into HD. Like old sitcoms, talk shows, daytime soap operas, etc. Most 1980s music videos were edited on tape and some early 1980s music videos were shot on videotape. Sometimes the original film was thrown out after the videotape edits. Networks also taped over videotape and a lot of TV shows were lost in this way. Also even with things shot & edited on film, the majority of older stuff does not have enough demand for the companies or people who own it to spend a lot of money on restoring it. Especially if it's public domain and anybody can release it.

upload it.
I did in the past. I bumped the thread. Check it out. Ironically they had security during the showing of thriller but not the clock on the wall movie (which i left after thriller anyway). I personally think they were only in there to see thriller but i was trying to hide my phone, record, not dance & sing along (which is very very hard for me) & enjoy all at the same time. So it might look a bit weird lol

I did in the past. I bumped the thread. Check it out. Ironically they had security during the showing of thriller but not the clock on the wall movie (which i left after thriller anyway). I personally think they were only in there to see thriller but i was trying to hide my phone, record, not dance & sing along (which is very very hard for me) & enjoy all at the same time. So it might look a bit weird lol

i saw it. thanks.

Back