Michael Jackson’s Thriller is the first album certified RIAA 30x multi-platinum

Well this is certainly good for Michael but waiting for this announcement was sorta disappointing, I expected to hear news on a new project or an album or something similar.

Thriller was certified form Guinness World Record Istitute back in 2008
For me it's enough :)

Forbes Showbiz ?@ForbesShowbiz 16. Dez.

MJ can't stop smashing records: 'Thriller' just became the first 30x platinum album ever http://onforb.es/1YkZUOH

OneRepublic ?@OneRepublic Dec 20th

Michael Jackson's "Thriller" just became the first album in US history to be certified 30 X Platinum!! Congrats to MJ

RIAA ?@RIAA Jan 14th

We awarded 1,000+ certifications in 2015, but only these four acts can claim TOP Certified! http://bit.ly/RIAAGnP2015

CYsiyk2W8AAoB0U.jpg

30 x platinium is amazing!!

Very impressive! Great.

Sad MJ's not here to see it.

Glenn Frey has died, may he rest in peace.

It will be interesting to see if the surge of The Eagles Greatest Hits will catch up with Thriller and if it is certified soon?

I rarely, if ever, see the Eagles GH album on BB200 while Thriller is regularly there, so I am not sure how much it really is selling. Certainly now it will have a boost.

On the other hand I always doubted it sold 29 million in the first place. The receipts just aren't there, unlike for Thriller. To me it always looked like an artificial push by the media and the industry to make someone (white) catch up with Thriller. That's only in the US anyway. Worldwide it's nowhere close to Thriller.

^^I have no doubt it will. It's already certified at 29 and if David Bowie can get 14 albums in the top chart within days (a much more avant guard rock artist) then no reason that an album of terrific soft rock won't shoot up again.
Their music appeals to everybody, even me. I blasted the album last night.

^^I have no doubt it will. It's already certified at 29 and if David Bowie can get 14 albums in the top chart within days (a much more avant guard rock artist) then no reason that an album of terrific soft rock won't shoot up again.
Their music appeals to everybody, even me. I blasted the album last night.

Its one of my favorite albums too.

It's funny to me that we talk about rock critics dissing Michael. It seems like they detest the Eagles, which I would think would be a much loved rock band.
I remember the old ugliness against Paul McCartney when he started Wings.
The more rock music docs I watch, it seems the critics don't like anybody. Especially if the public does.

It's funny to me that we talk about rock critics dissing Michael. It seems like they detest the Eagles, which I would think would be a much loved rock band.
I remember the old ugliness against Paul McCartney when he started Wings.
The more rock music docs I watch, it seems the critics don't like anybody. Especially if the public does.

And it also shows how little their opinions matter. I mean if someone is good people will like it despite of whether critics and the media hype it or not. Queen was another band that rock critics hated, at least while Freddie was still alive, but their legacy is one of the most enduring ones in rock history. Temporarily you can hype up what is not so good or ridicule really good music - and temporarily it may even have its effect on the audience, but on the long term good music and what people really like will prevail. So eventually who cares what Rolling Stone wrote about them 30 years ago. LOL. Same for Michael.

This is super great for thriller
But I just hope freakin Adele doesn't catch up with her new ablum

This is super great for thriller
But I just hope freakin Adele doesn't catch up with her new ablum

This is 30 million - just in the USA!

Adele's album doesn't have a chance of catching that. Her album was massively front loaded. It will sell well - with the non-stop free hype, the fact it is 'middle of the road', offensive to nobody, good for your sister/Mum/grandma/birthdays/valentines day/Mother's Day/etc, but 30 million just in the USA? Not a chance.

MJ would be beaming at this announcement, yet some "fans" are complaining against the Estate like a broken record.

It's about time Bad has a diamond certification. And many of MJ's songs need to be in updated in certification. Come on Estate. Step up your game

[FONT=&quot][h=1]Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' Extends Reign as Highest Certified Album in U.S. History[/h]2/16/2017 by Keith Caulfield

• FACEBOOK
  • TWITTER
  • EMAIL ME
[/FONT]

<figure class="main-media main-media--image " data-media-type="image" data-media-id="" style="box-sizing: inherit; margin: 1em 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-variant-numeric: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: &quot;Open Sans&quot;, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; overflow: hidden; position: relative; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
thriller-trade-cr-Kevin-Mazur-2017-billboard-1548.jpg
<figcaption class="media__details-text" style="box-sizing: inherit; margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-top-style: initial; border-right-style: initial; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: initial; border-top-color: initial; border-right-color: initial; border-bottom-color: rgb(240, 240, 240); border-left-color: initial; border-image: initial; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">Kevin Mazur
Doug Morris, Rob Stringer, John Branca, L.A. Reid, Richard Storey and Karen Langford.
</figcaption>

</figure>[FONT=&quot][h=2]The seminal 1982 album passes the 33-times platinum mark.[/h]Michael Jackson&#8217;s blockbuster album Thriller just keeps on getting bigger. The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has certified the set at 33-times platinum in the U.S., extending Thriller&#8217;s record as the highest certified album in history.
That means Thriller -- released in 1982 -- has earned 33 million equivalent album units in the U.S. That sum blends traditional album sales (one album sale equals one unit), tracks sold from an album (10 tracks sold equals one unit) and on-demand audio and/or video streams (1,500 streams equals one unit).
A plaque commemorating the milestone was presented at the home of Epic Records chairman Antonio "L.A." Reid over Grammy weekend, where Sony Music CEO Doug Morris, Columbia Records chairman and incoming Sony Music CEO Rob Stringer, Sony president, commercial group Richard Storey, attorneys Karen Langford and John Branca toasted the certification.
The RIAA revamped its Gold & Platinum Awards Program on Feb. 1, 2016, growing from a pure album sales certification process to one that includes tracks and streams. That same day, Thriller&#8217;s certification was raised from 30 million to 32 million.
<figure class="readmore__media readmore__media--landscape" style="box-sizing: inherit; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: middle; display: table-cell; width: 156px;"></figure>[h=4]READ MORE[/h][h=2]Michael Jackson's Top 50 Billboard Hits[/h]

Thriller continues to maintain its place as the highest-certified album ever, ahead of Eagles&#8217; Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975, with 29 million. (It was last certified on Jan. 30, 2006.)
Thriller was released through Sony Music Entertainment&#8217;s Epic Records and spent 37 nonconsecutive weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart. The mega-successful set was the first to generate a record seven top 10 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, including two No. 1s: &#8220;Billie Jean&#8221; (No. 1 for seven weeks) and &#8220;Beat It&#8221; (No. 1 for three weeks). In 2015, Thriller was named the biggest album of all time by a male artist on the Billboard 200 chart, and the No. 3 title overall.
Simultaneous with Thriller&#8217;s raised certification, its follow-up, Bad, climbs to 10-times platinum (the RIAA&#8217;s Diamond award). Jackson is one of just 22 acts with more than one Diamond-certified album.
Representatives for Sony and Jackson&#8217;s estate say that Thriller has sold 105 million copies globally.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7693419/michael-jackson-thriller-highest-certified-album
[/FONT]

33 times platinum would give it 3X's diamond if they'd just certify it so already!

I doubt no album will ever surpass Thriller.

BUT - this streaming is a little tricky. - fx Gangnam Style had more than 2 billion streams and sold a lot too I guess.

If - say Adele who sells a huge amount og albums still - if she made a lot of music videos for a new album and the all became popular and streamed a lot - then Thriller could be beaten due to new counting methods - couldn't it?

When streams are counted too - then actually all the sales of MJ's VHS and DVD's should be counted too. :)

BUT - this streaming is a little tricky. - fx Gangnam Style had more than 2 billion streams and sold a lot too I guess.

If - say Adele who sells a huge amount og albums still - if she made a lot of music videos for a new album and the all became popular and streamed a lot - then Thriller could be beaten due to new counting methods - couldn't it?

You'd need a SERIOUSSSSS amount of streams to boost it up to Thriller's levels. Like an exceptionally unprecedented level for a very prolonged period of time. Put it this way, the songs on Adele's 21 would need 31,950,000,000 streams in the United States alone needed to reach Thriller's numbers. (My calculations don't account for any further album sales of 21, or any further album sales AND streams of Thriller, but yeah).

Last edited:
The way streams count as sales is interesting, yes it would take a lot but does make it actually possible over time to surpass thriller. I don't like that!! You put MJ on Pandora and other artists come on and you help there sales against Mike! umm no.. and to make it worse, I CAN'T SKIP THE SH** haha

When streams are counted too - then actually all the sales of MJ's VHS and DVD's should be counted too. :)

Why do people always swear that Adele is or could overall outsell MJ in some way shape or form, LOL.:lol:

Listen, I'll give credit where credit is most definitely due.
Adele is a sales monster amongst her peers, but she ain't catching Michael.

For example, if you take into account his album to sales ratio I'm pretty sure that Michael would be the best selling solo artist of all time.
Adele just ain't catching him.

People have to remember that Thriller will always remain popular and so when we take into account the streaming, it won't stay at just 33X Platinum. There is a good chance that in the next ten years, it may be 40X Platinum. Of course someone like Adele will benefit from streaming but so will MJ and Thriller.

^ True... however lol!! if Michaels music was new, the tilt would be completely different.. it's just altering sales not in Michaels favor simply because Michael was a physical selling artist in a digital selling age.. It will never be "100% fair". He does damn good considering though!! REAL good

The way streams count as sales is interesting, yes it would take a lot but does make it actually possible over time to surpass thriller. I don't like that!! You put MJ on Pandora and other artists come on and you help there sales against Mike! umm no.. and to make it worse, I CAN'T SKIP THE SH** haha

Go use Spotify or Apple Music. They both have radio functions along side their on-demand material.

^ I use Spotify - I was just trying to make a point with some humor! :/

Back