Michael Receives Awards

Black Radio Exclusive Awards

Artist Of The Year

July 1

La Toya Jackson presented her little brother, Michael with the "Artist Of The Year" award at the Black Radio Exclusive Awards ceremony held at the Hyatt Regency Hotel, L.A.

American Music Awards

16 January

Special Award Of Merit

Favorite Male Artist - Pop/Rock

Favorite Single - Pop/Rock "Billie Jean"

Favorite Album - Pop/Rock "Thriller"

Favorite Video - Pop/Rock "Beat It"

Favorite Album - Soul/R&B "Thriller"

Favorite Male Artist - Soul/R&B

Favorite Video - Soul/R&B "Beat It"

Best Long Form Video - Thriller

Best Home Video

"I'm interested in making a path instead of following a trail and that’s what I want to do in life - in every-thing I do.”

Michael Jackson , In Jet interview, July 13, 1979

1984 - Michael Jackson won for the first time in the history of the American Music Awards 8 of the desirable trophies.

The accolades began with his sweep of the 11th annual American Music Awards on Monday night, January 16th, winning a total of eight awards, including a special merit award. Michael received a record breaking ten nominations for the American Music Awards. THRILLER was nominated for Best Pop Album, and Best Soul Album. Billie Jean was nominated for Best Pop Single and Best Soul Single. Beat It and Billie Jean were both nominated for Best Pop Video and Best Soul Video. And finally, Michael was nominated for Best Pop Male Vocalist and Best Soul Male Vocalist.

Michael attended the award ceremony accompanied by Emmanuel Lewis, 12-year-old co-star of TV's "Webster" situation comedy, and his date for the evening was Brooke *******.
He was dressed for the occasion in a red Sergeant Pepper-style military style jacket covered with red sequins, cropped tuxedo pants, black aviator glasses, with a single black sequin glove; an appropriate uniform for what, considering the scope of his popularity, equated to the showbiz variant of a coronation.

Michael approached the podium 8 times that night to accept awards, a new record.

The magazine Jet, Feb. 6, 1984 wrote:

Since there was no trail to follow, multi-talented Michael Jackson made a path recently that led to his winning an unprecendented eight coveted American music Awards for his Thriller album, which has sold more than 20 million copiers worldwide and is the best-selling LP by a solo artist in the history of the recording industry.
Televised before a star-studded Hollywood audience and viewed worldwide by an audience of his fans, the award show also cited the 25-year-old entertainer with the Award of Merit during which film clips culled from his 17 years in show business revealed him as a sensitive singer, a sensational songwriter, a dazzling dancer, an aspiring actor, and as grateful as he is gifted.
Each time he made a trek to the awards podium to pick up a trophy, he used the occasion to share his success with those who have inspired him....

As he hugged and kissed singer Diana Ross on stage as she congratulated him, Michael must have remembered the words actor Billy Dee Williams spoke to her in the film Mahagony, when he said: "What good is success if you don't have someone to share it with?" Ms. Ross, who befriended Michael when he first joined the Motown roster, has constantly inspired him as, he says, his "mother-lover-friend."

There were others who motivated him and he called their names: Quincy Jones, Berry Gordy, Suzanne DePasse, Paul McCartney, Liza Minnelli and Lionel Richie.

In addition to these awards Michael was honored for his lifetime career achievements as the year's recipient of the Award of Merit. The Award of Merit was presented to Michael by Diana Ross and by the previous year's winner, Kenny Rogers. Barry Manilow also took part in the tribute, singing Ben and a medley of Jackson 5ive hits. The presentation featured video taped messages from Michael's closest friends, including Liza Minnelli, Katherine Hepburn, and Jane Fonda, who had this to say:
"Michael, I can't tell you how many times I've studied your tapes, trying to figure out what it is you do. I've decided you are a miracle. You have so much talent, the more you give of it, the more you seem to have. I'm so proud of you... and so proud to be your friend".

Winning the award at age 25, Michael is the youngest performer to ever receive the Award of Merit.

http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/search/label/1984?updated-max=2011-01-28T01:01:00-08:00&max-results=20
http://www.michaeljackson.com/ru/michael-jackson-awards
http://books.google.com/books?id=Bb...esnum=2&ved=0CDEQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q&f=false

Michael Jackson American Music Awards 1984

[video=youtube;IUQUI_6mTAE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUQUI_6mTAE[/video]

Last edited:

Guinness Book of World Records

The Best Selling Album of All Time («Thriller»)

7 February

Michael had been inducted into the Guinness book of Records, in recognition of Thriller having broken all album sales records at twenty-five million copies sold.

Michael, dressed in naval jacket and Calvin Klein blue jeans, attends a "Celebrate Michael" party, together with actress and friend, Brooke *******, 11 days after he suffered hair and scalp burns filming a Pepsi Cola commercial. That evening, he is honored for his entry in the Guinness Book of World Records - selling the most popular album in history, Thriller.

Braving sub-freezing weather, hundreds of excited fans stood shivering behind the police barricades outside the New York's Metropolitan Museum of Natural History on a cold February night in 1984 hoping for a glimpse of a famous face. Inside, CBS Records hosted a party at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Natural History to honor Michael Jackson. There were 1500 invitations mailed out on white cloth gloves, which were required to gain admittance into the museum. Michael specifically asked that the party be held there because he was interested in animals and natural history.

At the party, CBS Records president Walter Yetnikoff presented Michael with presented with the first edition of the 1984 paperback version of the Guinness Book of World Records, who had stopped their presses to include the new record holder for the biggest selling album of all time, Michael Jackson's Thriller.

Thriller had surpassed the 25 million mark in sales, making it the most successful album in history. It had outsold the soundtrack album for Saturday Night Fever to take over the top spot.

Allen Davis, president of CBS Records International, read from a long, impressive list of awards and record breaking sales figures of his label's biggest selling artist, presented Michael with the honor:
"Tonight, Michael, your international milestones for the album, Thriller are a total of 67 gold awards, 58 platinum awards in 28 countries on 6 continents. And the singles with 9 million in sales have earned 15 more awards, bringing the total to 140 gold and platinum awards."

To date, "Thriller" has sold over 25 million copies worldwide - more then any other album in recording history.

Confetti falls everywhere as dance girls surround during Michael receives one of many tributes. In the longest public speech that close associates could recall during his two-decade career, 25 year old Michael, the shy and sensitive singer, told the invitation-only audience of 1,500 how he felt about epic $1.4 million party staged to salute him. Clutching the wireless microphone in his sequined-gloved right hand, the child star who became a grown-up superstar smiled and said softly:
"I’ve been performing for twenty years. I started at 5 years old touring with my brothers, The Jackson 5, and still I haven’t – you know, I feel like I’ve just begun, you know...
And I’ve always wanted to do great things and achieve many things, but for the first time in my entire career I feel like I’ve accomplished this, because I’m in the Guinness Book Of World Records.
I'm so honored and deeply touched by it and thank you all.
And I also thank CBS Records, which is the best record company in the world and Walter Yetnikoff, who is the best record company president in the world. And thank you all. You are all wonderful people. I'm very embarrassed but thank you."

As modest Michael relinquished the mike, Yetnikoff grabbed it, beaming and blushing. "We have a little surprise," he began. "I don't know if I'm the best record company president in the world but Michael is sure the best artist in the world." He continued:
"Michael just got a presentation for the best solo performer of all times. I'm reading from The Guinness Book of Records. The best-selling album of all time is Saturday Night Fever with 25 million copies globally. I have news for you. Today, we surpassed 25 million copies for Thriller! Michael Jackson - the number one artist in the world!" Yetnikoff shouted.

Then, with the recording of Michael's hot-selling Billie Jean blaring through the loudspeakers, Brooke ******* bounced onto the stage and hugged the handsome hero to millions and the superstar with whom she shares a special friendship. As the guests shifted from the VIP reception area to the area of the museum where collection of stuffed elephants and other animals are on exhibit, holding Brook's gloved hand, Michael, an unabashed animal lover, sled the tour and mingled with celebrity guests. He carried with him the special bound copy of the Guinness Book of World Records, which had been presented him earlier by Norris McWhirter, editor of the Guinness Book, who said: "We stopped the presses for Michael at 23 million. But now he is already on 24 million."

http://books.google.com/books?id=m7...&resnum=1&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/2011/02/today-in-mjj-history_07.html

Michael Jackson Guinness Book of World Records 1984

[video=youtube;OiuL3lJ_ItY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiuL3lJ_ItY[/video]

Last edited:
Re: Michael receives awards

Grammy Awards

Album Of The Year "Thriller"

Best R&B Song - "Billie Jean"

Producer Of The Year (with Quincy Jones) "Thriller"

Record Of The Year "Beat It"

Best Male Rock Vocal Performance "Beat It"

Best Male R&B Vocal Performance "Billie Jean"

Best Male Pop Vocal Performance "Thriller"

Best Best Recording For Children ("E.T. The Extra Terrestrial") Album, narration by Michael Jackson

http://www.grammy.com/videos/26th-annual-grammy-awards-best-pop-vocal-performance-male
http://www.grammy.com/videos/26th-annual-grammy-awards-album-of-the-year
http://www.grammy.com/videos/26th-annual-grammy-awards-best-recording-for-children
http://www.grammy.com/videos/26th-annual-grammy-awards-record-of-the-year
http://www.grammy.com/videos/26th-annual-grammy-awards-producer-of-the-year-non-classical

"How many Grammys do you think I'll win?", - Michael asked Quincy Jones.
Quincy shrugged. Smart man. He knew better, after the Thriller outburst, than to make any predictions.
"Well, all I can say is I hope I win a lot of 'em," - Michael said with a smile.

Michael Jackson first to ever win 8 Grammy awards

The magic of Michael Jackson's singing, writing, producing and talking catapulted the 25-year-old superstar into the coveted Grammy record books at the 26th annual awards presentations of the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences at the Los Angeles Shrine Auditorium.

Jackson, who won his first and only Grammy in 1979 for Don't Stop'Til You Get Enough as Best R & B Vocal Performance By a Male, shattered Paul Simon's mark of seven Grammys in a single year when he collected his record-setting total of eight music awards.

Seated in front row between two of his special friends, actress Brooke *******, and 12-year-old actor Emmanuel Lewis, the energetic entertainer made eight treks to the awards podium, during which time he paid warm tributes to his parents, brothers, sisters and musical associates. He noted the recent death of Jackie Wilson, recalling that he was inspired b and learned a lot from the singer who was known as "Mr. Excitement."

Although the event had been billed as The Michael Jackson Show because of his unprecedented 12 nominations from the academy's nearly 6,000 voting members, other Black entertainers made their presence felt both as Grammy winners and featured performers during the three-hour show televised on CBS.

The Jackson sweep was based mainly on his Thriller album, which has sold over 26 million copies worldwide to become the best-selling LP ever. He won Record of the Year and Rock Male vocalist for Beat it; Album of the Year and Pop Male Vocalist for Thriller; R&b Male Vocalist and R&B song for Billie Jean; Produser (non-classical) with Quincy Jones; and E.T. for the Children category.
Jones, who served as spokes-man for his prolific partner, said: " I've seen four phenomenons in my lifetime: Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, the Beatles and Michael Jackson."

"I'm also easily embarrassed. The night I won eight American Music Awards, I accepted them wearing my shades on the network broadcast. Katharine Hepburn called me up and congratulated me, but she gave me a hard time because of the sunglasses. "Your fans want to see your eyes," she scolded me. "You're cheating them."
The following month, February 1984, at the Grammy show, Thriller had walked off with seven Grammy Awards and looked like it was going to win as eighth.
All evening I had been going up to the podium and collecting awards with my sunglasses on. Finally, when Thriller won for Best Album, I went up to accept it, took off my glasses, and stared into the camera.
"Katherine Hepburn,"- I said, "this is for you." I knew she was watching and she was.
You have to have some fun."

Michael Jackson "Moonwalk"

http://books.google.com.ua/books?id...&resnum=3&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Michael Jackson Grammy Awards 1984

Last edited:

Presidential Special Achievement Award

May, 14

At a ceremony held in the White House, he receives the Presidential Humanitarian Award for humanitarian endeavors from late American President, Ronald Reagan, acknowledging Jackson’s contribution to promoting the "National Campaign Against Teenage Drunk Driving" program.

The plaque presented to him by Reagan is engraved with these words: “To Michael Jackson, with appreciation for the outstanding example you have set for the youth of America and the world. Your historic record-breaking achievements and your preeminence in popular music are a tribute to your creativity, dedication, and great ability. The generous contribution to your time and talent to the National Campaign Against Teenage Drunk Driving will help millions of young Americans learn that drinking and driving can kill a friendship.”
http://www.thesilencedtruth.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=60

It was the best crowd draw in years in the nation’s capital: VIPs fought for invites as fiercely as they would for presidential inaugural ducats. The White House racket up more telephone calls than for any event during President Reagan’s four years in office. News reporters, some wearing a sequin glove. Occupied every inch of press space. Hundreds and hundreds of young people swarmed around the high iron fence just to get a peek at the rock and soul super star.
From teeny-boppers to conservative bureaucrats, Michael Jackson’s first appearance at the White House created an emotional upswing that temporarily erased the drudgery of conducting government business.
President Reagan adequately defined the mood when he said, ‘Well, isn’t this a thriller? We haven’t seen this many people since we left China.”
For nine minutes and 22 seconds, Michael Jackson proved that as an artist, and a multimillion dollar star, at that, he could deal with wizened politicians and come away with his reputation still glittery.
The short burst of drama took place on the south lawn as the nattily attired 25-year-old singer with a string of eight Grammy Awards received a special award for spurring President Reagan’s newly mounted national campaign against drunk driving. The living legend was crafted in his working uniform of dark glasses, a White right glove, and a blue leather and gold-sequined jacket.
Not hardpressed for the right words, President Reagan praised the star whose song Beat It will be used in a country-wide TV and radio blitz against drunk driving. “Thanks for your help, lives will be saved” the President said, amid applause, “and no one can put a dollar value on the precious life of one boy or girl.”
The President noted that many young White House staffers wanted him to tell Michael, “Please give some TLC (tender, loving care) to the PYTs (pretty young things). He added: ‘I know that sounds a little off the wall (referring to another of Jackson’s albums) but you know what I mean.”

Lauding Jackson as “proof of what one person can accomplish through a life style free of alcohol or drug abuse, the president contended that ‘people young and old respect that, and if Americans can face up to the problem of drinking and driving; we can in Michael’s words, Beat It”. Also noting news reports that Michael’s cross country tour may not include Washington, the President said, “Michael, I have another message from your fans here. They say they want you back, so when you begin your greatly awaited cross country tour, will you please be sure to stop off here in the nation’s Capital?”
Throughout the ceremony, the country’s number one entertainment hero smiled while remaining ramrod straight, sometimes flicking his one sequined glove.
The excitement crested when Michael stepped up to the microphone, from which sound was amplified to reach onlookers in the street. The electrical audience yearned for ‘one stirring rundown of a dance step’ or ‘a few lines of a song.” There was anticipation that this youthful model would oblige. Gently, and with a firm confidence, Michael said, “I’m very, very honored. Thank you very much Mr. President and Mrs. Reagan.”
It was the shortest oral performance at such a ceremony – and exactly right on target.
His first visit had made a difference. Cool, poised, and elegant in manner, shay Michael lived up to his advance billing as a gentleman and a professional. His conduct certainly will put him into position to become a much sought headline star at a White house state dinner.
What astounded the Republicans was Michael’s tremendous popularity, cutting across race, religion, sex and age. The intensity of loyalty of millions of followers somehow has made him a patron saint – the example. Month ago, Transportation Secretary Elizabeth Dole conceived the idea of featuring Michael in the news media campaign, timing the commercials for the period of school proms and commencements.
Jet May, 28, 1984

http://books.google.com.ua/books?id...=Teetotaler Superstar Michael jackson&f=false

[video=youtube;F1USSb9o6Ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1USSb9o6Ws&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Ceremony to launch Drunk Driving campaign and P.. - avi, 131.25 MB - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M4OH2RBW

Last edited:

NAACP Image Awards:

H. Claude Hudson Medal Of Freedom

Olympic Medal Of Friendship

July

In Kansas City, July , the Jackson family are honored with the special “H. Claude Hudson Medal Of Freedom” humanitarian award on behalf of NAACP for their ‘exemplary unit as a family and for their display of those human values which we all respect”, on occasion of a press conference on the eve of their American tour. Michael and Tito Jackson accept the award on behalf of the family.
During press-conference Michael also announced that his share of the concert Victory earnings would go to three worthy causes. They are the United Negro College Fund (UNCF), Camp Good Times for terminally ill children and the T. J.Martell Foundation for Leucemia and Cancer research.

Claude Silbert Hudson (1881-1952) was an American chemist, best known for his work in the carbohydrate chemistry. He is also the namesake of the Claude S. Hudson Award in Carbohydrate Chemistry and the H. Claude Hudson Comprehensive Health Center in Los Angeles, California.
Claude Silbert Hudson (1881-1952) is considered a father of carbohydrate chemistry. He established a series of rules known as "Hudson's rules" having to do with the optical rotation of sugars. A Southerner, he trained to be a minister until he discovered chemistry was his calling. He studied at Princeton and in Germany, receiving his doctorate in physics. At the start of his career, he used urine analyses to test food preservatives for the Bureau of Chemistry. During World War I, he joined the "poison squad studies" and discovered how to activate charcoal to absorb poisonous gas. After WWI, he became a commercial consulting chemist and secured patents for activated charcoal, confectionary glaze and isopropyl alcohol. He worked at the National Bureau of Standards (1923-1928), until he came to NIH (then the Hygienic Laboratory of the Public Health Service), where he stayed until retiring in 1951.

Hudson was known for concentrated work in the laboratory, mentoring the "undergraduates of Hudson's University" as Richtmeyer put it, and telling good stories. One story told about Hudson by a senior NIH scientist recalls how Hudson took one of his doctoral candidates out on the town before the student's oral boards. The next day, facing the Georgetown exam board with a hangover, the student was asked, "Can you tell us what Hudson's Rules are?" The student answered, "Hudson's first rule says that any drink with gin in it is a good drink." "That's my boy!" roared Hudson from the back of the room.
http://nihrecord.od.nih.gov/newsletters/10_16_2001/story06.htm

In addition, at the same event, The Jacksons are offered the 1984 "Olympic Medal Of Friendship”. As the July 23, 1984 issue of JET magazine reports, NAACP Executive Director, Benjamin Hooks, announced on July 4 that the Jackson family have agreed to let the civil rights organization register potential voters outside the stadiums at their summer (Victory tour) concerts. Hooks also declared that the family as endorsed the program and will serve as national co-chairmen for the National Voter Registration Drive project. Registration booths will be set up outside Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, venue of the tour's opening concert.
http://www.thesilencedtruth.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=60

[video=youtube;bvhqrWMV7RM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvhqrWMV7RM&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Michael Jackson NAACP Image Awards 1984
mpg, 6.39 MB - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OKJ4JNQ1

Last edited:

Hollywood Walk of Fame Star → Michael Jackson

November, 21

Category: Recording
Adress: 6927 Hollywood Blvd.
http://www.hollywoodchamber.net/index.php?module=wof&s=nor&p=1&sname=Michael+Jackson&wof_id=819

With Star No. 1,793 in front of Grauman's Chinese Theatre, Michael becomes the first celebrity to have two different stars dedicated to him, having received one as a member of The Jacksons in the 70's and 1980s on November 20.

Fearful that some 6 000 frenzied fans who filled the streets had rebuffed crowd-control efforts, superstar Michael Jackson made the shortest acceptance speech –five words – in the history of Hollywood Walk of Fame dedication ceremonies and was hustled off stage by protective police who feared they would have had a riot on their hands.
As the world’s most famous entertainer was to be honored on the world’s most famous sidewalk, Hollywood’s Walk of Fame, over-excited fans surged and screamed outside Mann’s Chinese theatre. A podium and stage had been set up for the unveiling of the Michael Jackson star, a permanent monument that recognized his life-long contribution to show business.
When Michael mounted the podium, he waved to the crowd with his gloved hand and delivered a speech of five words: ‘Thank you very, very much!”
He then beat it.

Jet, December, 10th, 1984

[video=youtube;UUCf6IOPq3U]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUCf6IOPq3U[/video]

Last edited:

Neil Bogart Memorial Award

Michael was honored as the first recipient of "The Neil Bogart Memorial Award" - on behalf of the "Neil Bogart Memorial Fund" - (today titled "The Bogart Pediatric Cancer Research Program"), presented by Bobby Poe at the annual Bobby Poe Convention.

The entertainer declares the following: „I’m sorry that I couldn’t be with you tonight to shake all your hands personally, but I wanna thank all of you attending the "Bobby Poe Convention" for all the support you’ve given me over the last three years. I also wanna tell you what an honor it is to be chosen the first recipient of the „Neil Bogart Memorial Award”, and that it will always stand out as one of the most treasured honors of my career. Again, my sincerest thanks to Bobby Poe and all those involved in this wonderful Convention. Thank you very much.”

The Neil Bogart Memorial Fund gives the Children's Choice Award and is a fund that is dedicated to providing money to help kids with cancer at the children's hospital in LA.

Neil Bogart (February 3, 1943 – May 8, 1982) was an American record executive.
He was a singer in the 1960s, using the name "Neil Scott", prior to running the Michigan offices of Cameo-Parkway Records. After Cameo-Parkway was shut down by the government for stock fraud in 1968, Bogart became an executive at Buddah Records.
He is perhaps best known as the founder of Casablanca Records, with Peter Guber.
He started Casablanca in 1973 when he first signed KISS and later became identified with the rise of disco by promoting the career of acts such as Donna Summer and The Village People.
He died of cancer and lymphoma at age 39. His death inspired the formation of the T.J. Martell Foundation for the assistance of cancer stricken children. His wife, Joyce Bogart-Trabulus, teamed up with songwriter Carole Bayer Sager and founded the Neil Bogart Memorial Fund (now The Bogart Pediatric Cancer Research Program) in 1983. In 1984, the fund established its laboratories at the Children's Hospital in Los Angeles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Bogart

The Bobby Poe Convention was put on for 25 years by Bobby Poe's "Pop Music Survey", a radio and record industry tipsheet.

Bobby Poe (April 13, 1933-January 22, 2011).[1] also known as Bobby Nelson Poe, had a long and varied career in the music business.
Bobby Poe and The Poe Kats - Rockabilly Hall of Famers from the 1950's - were one of the first interracial Rock and Roll groups. Bobby Poe and The Poe Kats were inducted into the Kansas Music Hall of Fame on March 7th, 2009!
Bobby Poe went on to become an artist manager and producer in the 1960's.
In the late 1960's "The Poe Kat" founded the respected music industry publication "Pop Music Survey".
In 1968, Poe again switched gears and started several music tip sheets for music industry insiders and radio stations. The most successful tip sheet was Pop Music Survey, which grew significantly when Poe began an annual music convention. Starting in 1972, Bobby Poe presented 25 annual "Pop Music Survey" Radio/Record Conventions, which lasted until his gala retirement Convention. After 25 successful conventions, Poe retired in 1996.
http://popmusicrecords.blogspot.com/
http://www.bobbypoe.com

[video=youtube;1cG68uUMwWU]http://https://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cG68uUMwWU[/video]

Michael Jackson Accepting Bobby Poe Award 1984
avi, 29.86 MB - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=23LM8JAG

Last edited:

American Music Award

Song Of The Year "We Are The World"

Award Of Appreciation

January 27

"We Are The World" win the "Song of the Year" award at the 14th American Music Awards ceremony held at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, Ca.
Michael arrives half-way through the American Music Awards ceremony in company of Elizabeth Taylor.

American Music Award of Appreciation went to Harry Belafonte, who first conceived the idea to create a project for the relief of famine in Ethiopia. On accepting the award, he called Ken Kragen, Quincey Jones, Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson up on stage to share the award.
At the show's conclusion, most of the celebrities including Diana Ross, Janet & LaToya, reunited with them on stage to sing "We Are The World".

"We Are the World" is a song and charity single recorded by the supergroup USA for Africa . It was written by Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie, and co-produced by Quincy Jones and Michael Omartian for the 1985 album of the same name. The idea for the creation of the benefit single for African famine relief had initially come from activist Harry Belafonte, who, along with fundraiser Ken Kragen, was instrumental in bringing the vision to reality.

Before the writing of "We Are the World", American entertainer and social activist Harry Belafonte had sought for some time to have a song recorded by the most famous artists in the music industry at the time. He planned to have the proceeds donated to a new organization called United Support of Artists for Africa (USA for Africa). The non-profit foundation would then feed and relieve starving people in Africa, specifically Ethiopia, where around one million people died during the country's 1984-1985 famine. The idea followed Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas" project in the UK, which Belafonte had heard about. In the activist's plans, money would also be set aside to help eliminate hunger in the United States of America. Entertainment manager and fellow fundraiser Ken Kragen was contacted by Belafonte, who asked for singers Lionel Richie and Kenny Rogers-Kragen's clients-to participate in Belafonte's musical endeavor. Kragen and the two musicians agreed to help with Belafonte's mission, and in turn, enlisted the cooperation of Stevie Wonder, to add more "name value" to their project. Quincy Jones was drafted to co-produce the song, taking time out from his work on The Color Purple. Richie also telephoned Michael Jackson, who had just released the commercially successful Thriller album and had concluded a tour with his brothers.

Jackson revealed to Richie that he not only wanted to sing the song, but to participate in its writing as well. To begin with, "We Are the World" was to be written by Jackson, Richie and Wonder. As Wonder had limited time to work on the project, Jackson and Richie proceeded to write "We Are the World" themselves. They began work on the song's creation at Hayvenhurst, the Encino home of Jackson and his family. For a week, the two spent every night working on lyrics and melodies in the singer's bedroom. They knew that they wanted a song which would be easy to sing and memorable. The pair wanted to create an anthem. Richie only wrote a few lines for the track as Michael wrote 99% of the lyrics. And it was not until the night of January 21, 1985, that Richie and Jackson completed the lyrics and melody of We Are the World within two and a half hours, one night before the song's first recording session.

Richie had recorded two melodies for "We Are the World", which Jackson took, adding music and words to the song in the same day. Jackson stated, "I love working quickly. I went ahead without even Lionel knowing, I couldn't wait. I went in and came out the same night with the song completed-drums, piano, strings, and words to the chorus." Jackson then presented his demo to Richie and Jones, who were both shocked; they did not expect the pop star to see the structure of the song so quickly.

"In early 1985 we cut "We Are the World" at an all-night all-star recording session that was held after the ceremony for the American Music Awards. I wrote the song with Lionel Richie after seeing the appalling news footage of starving people in Ethiopia and the Sudan.
Around that time, I used to ask my sister Janet to follow me into a room with interesting acoustics, like a closet of the bathroom, and I'd sing to her, just a note, a rhythm of a note. It wouldn't be a lyric or anything; I'd just hum from the bottom of my throat. I'd say, "Janet, what do you see? What do you see when you hear this sound?" And this time she said, "Dying children in Africa."
"You're right. That's what I was dictating from my soul."
And she said, "You're talking about Africa. You're talking about dying children." That's where "We Are the World" came from. We'd go in a dark room and I'd sing notes to her. To my mind, that's what singers should be able to do. We should be able to perform and be effective, even if it's in a dark room. We've lost a lot because of TV. You should be able to move people without all that advanced technology, without pictures, using only sound.
I've been performing for as long as I can remember. I know a lot of secrets, a lot of things like that.
I think that "We Are the World" is a very spiritual song, but spiritual in a special sense. I was proud to be a part of that song and to be one of the musicians there that night. We were united by our desire to make a difference. It made the world a better place for us and it made a difference to the starving people we wanted to help."

Michael Jackson, "Moonwalk"

The final night of recording was held on January 28, 1985, at A&M Recording Studios in Hollywood, California. Michael Jackson arrived at 9 pm, earlier than the other artists, to record his solo section and record a vocal chorus by himself. He was subsequently joined in the recording studio by the remaining USA for Africa artists, which included Ray Charles, Billy Joel, Diana Ross, Cyndi Lauper, Bruce Springsteen and Smokey Robinson. Also in attendance were five of Jackson's siblings: Jackie, La Toya, Marlon, Randy and Tito. In all, more than 45 of America's top musicians participated in the recording.

The song was released on March 7, 1985, as the only single from the album. A worldwide commercial success, it topped music charts throughout the world and became the fastest-selling American pop single in history. The first ever single to be certified multi-platinum, "We Are the World" received a 4× certification by the Recording Industry Association of America.

Awarded numerous honors-including three Grammy Awards, one American Music Award and a People's Choice Award-the song was promoted with a critically received music video, a home video, a special edition magazine, a simulcast, and several books, posters and shirts. The promotion and merchandise aided the success of "We Are the World" and raised over $63 million for humanitarian aid in Africa and the US.

http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/2011/01/today-in-mjj-history_22.html
http://www.mj-777.com/?p=7086
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Are_the_World

Michael Jackson American Music Awards 1986

[video=youtube;FOG9vdlY0-4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOG9vdlY0-4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Michael Jackson - We Are The World ( Solos)

[video=youtube;P3hW3HukKhg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3hW3HukKhg[/video]

We Are The World - Michael Jackson, Ray Charles, Diana Ross, Bob Dylan, Bette Midler, Stevie Wonder

[video=youtube;FLoGwzgwllM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLoGwzgwllM[/video]

Last edited:

Grammy Awards

Song Of The Year "We Are The World"

Best Pop Performance By Duo Or Group "We Are The World"

Best Music Video Short Form "We Are The World"

February 25

Songwriters Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie are honored with the "Best Song of the Year" award for "We Are The World", the relief single they wrote for the "USA For Africa" project in 1985, at the 28th Grammy Awards from Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California.

The song is also voted as the "Record of the Year ", an award accepted by producer Quincy Jones, joined on stage by Jackson, Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder and Dionne Warwick.

Michael and Lionel accepted the award for the Song of the Year together. On accepting the award he makes a brief speech

Michael stepped to the podium, dressed in black uniform jacket and red shirt, with several gold pins:

"First, I’d like to thank God, and I’d like to say thank you for choosing Lionel and myself to write "We Are The World". I thank Quincy Jones, who was the greatest producer to me. And I also like to say, when you leave here, remember the children. Thank you."

At an ensuing press conference, he is asked about how he creates songs and to comment a little on "We Are The World".

“That’s one of the hardest questions to answer, because it’s a - it just comes, songs just kinda create themselves, so I don’t wanna dissect it really, just I let it happen. I wanted something that the whole world could sing.”

After the speech, Michael Jackson exits the stage happily and tightly holding mentour and friend Stevie Wonder's hand. The other honors for "We Are The World" are the "Best Pop Performance By Duo or Group" and "Best Short Form Video".

http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/2011/02/today-in-mjj-history_25.html

Michael Jackson Grammy Awards 1986

[video=youtube;FGH-iQ0T4yA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGH-iQ0T4yA&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Guinness Book of World Records

Largest Ever Endorsement For Product Promotion (US$ 15 million for Pepsi)

Michael Jackson, who recently signed with Pepsi-Cola U.S.A. to appear in three commercials for an estimated $15 million was inducted into the Guinness Book of Records at a ceremony in New York City. Alan Russell gave Jackson an award that read "World Record - Michael Jackson - Largest Endorsement Agreement by an Individual and a Major Corporation." Jackson is already in the book for the largest selling album, Thriller.

http://books.google.com/books?id=rr...#v=onepage&q=philip thomas to star in&f=false

Pepsi Press Conference

[video=youtube;CJ-cVHtpvOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ-cVHtpvOw[/video]

Last edited:

It's a very cool thread. Even many of us are mad with MTV, I'm corious to know how many Moonmen Michael has won?

Grammy Award

Nominated

Best Pop Vocal Performance - Male for "Bad"

Album of the Year for "Bad"

2 March

Michael performed two songs (The Way You Make Me Feel and Man in the Mirror) at the 30st Annual Grammy Awards. Despite bringing the crowd to its feet with his spirited performance, Michael lost the Record of the Year award (his only nomination, for Man in the Mirror) to Bobby McFerrin for Don’t Worry, Be Happy.

Michael's performance on 30th Annual Grammy Awards was his first TV performance since 1983's Motown 25 special 5 years earlier.

Suddenly. the lights dimmed and a silhouette appeared from behind a screen. Michael stood, poised very still, with a hat perched on his head, down over his eyes. He slowly glided from one position to another as the screen slowly rose revealing Michael wearing short black pants, well above his ankles, and a blue shirt with a white t-shirt underneath it. He also had a white strip of fabric tied around his waist, and one around his wrist, looking he just stepped from the set of the video for "TWYMMF".

He descended a small staircase and sang very slowly the opening lines of TWYMMF, putting out an imaginary cigarette on the floor. In a special cameo appearance, Tatiana crossed the stage in front of him. As the music assumed its usual uptempo beat, Michael tossed the hat, pulled his shirt tails out and was joined by four dancers. The dazzling choreography borrowed from the song's video, and showcased Michael's new variation on the moonwalk, gliding around in a circle.

After the performance of an abbreviated TWYMMF, the dancers left the stage to Michael. After a pause for applause, he began MITM. He was joined on stage by the New Hope Baptist Church Choir, all in blue gowns. Michael's other background singers included Siedah Garrett and Andre Crouch, who at one point went out to Michael to help him up from his knees and wipe his forehead, a gesture reminiscent of James Brown's performances. Michael gave an outstanding performance, falling to his knees at several points and giving full emotion to the song's moving lyrics.

Michael was given a standing ovation for his performance that evening, but no Grammy...

Despite his shutout, Michael won over the audience with a performance recalling his 1983 Motown special stunner.

His minimal showing in the statuette sweepstakes hardly diminished his uncontested talents.

http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/2011/03/today-in-mjj-history.html

Grammy Awards - Performance live in 1988

[video=youtube;Eetel6PjNzM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eetel6PjNzM[/video]

30th Annual GRAMMY Award Highlights

http://www.grammy.com/videos/30th-annual-grammy-award-highlights

Last edited:
5.png

Frederick D. Patterson Award

Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters Degree

March 10

Michael received an Honorary Doctorate Of Humane Letters Degree from Fisk University and the Frederik D. Patterson Award at the Sheraton Hotel in New York City, N.Y., honoring the entertainer's continued commitments to "UNCF" towards alleviating world hunger, his help of terminally ill children and his inspirational example to the youth of America.

Patterson ( Frederick Douglass Patterson) - American educator and prominent black leader, president of Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute (later Tuskegee Institute; now Tuskegee University) in 1935–53, and founder of the United Negro College Fund (1944).

In 1943, Dr. Frederick D. Patterson urged his fellow black college presidents to raise money collectively through an "appeal to the national conscience." The next year, on April 25, 1944, Dr. Patterson, Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune and others incorporated the United Negro College Fund with 27 member colleges. Early supporters of UNCF included President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and John D. Rockefeller, Jr. That first effort raised $760,000, a sum that would be worth approximately $8.6 million today.
Over the years, the idea and mission of UNCF have attracted hundreds of thousands, who through their gifts and their goodwill have helped to keep students focused on achieving their college degrees.
In 1972, Forest Long, an executive at Young and Rubicam, the renowned ad agency, created the UNCF motto "A mind is a terrible thing to waste." He explained that it represented a "plea to everybody to reject the prejudices of the past and consider the inner person." The motto has become one of the most recognized slogans in advertising history.
Buoyed by the whole-hearted support of individuals, foundations, organizations, groups and corporations who have generously volunteered their time and donated their resources, schools have achieved inordinate successes. Graduates of UNCF schools have made lasting contributions to nation by building successful careers, supporting their families and changing their neighborhoods. They now enjoy freedom and independence that only a great education can provide.
http://www.uncf.org/doc/UNCF_Impact_History.pdf

In 1986 Michael establishes the “Michael Jackson UNCF Endowed Scholarship Fund”, a foundation then estimated at $1.5 million, is aimed towards students majoring in performance art and communications. The company's funds would be a yearly supply for the African-American students attending a "UNCF" college or university. That year, the fund had provided 97 scholarship awards and enrolled scholars in nearly all of UNCF’s 42 schools, it was reported.
During the past two decades, more than 500 students at UNCF's 39 member colleges and universities have been able to attend college thanks to Jackson's generous gift.

It has been almost a quarter-century since Michael Jackson endowed the UNCF scholarship program that bears his name. Many of the young men and women who received Michael Jackson Endowed Scholarships over the years have moved on from college to start careers, raise families and support their communities. But thanks not only to his generosity but to his foresight in creating a scholarship that renews itself every year, 34 more students will study at UNCF-member colleges and universities next September because the King of Pop understood that "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."
http://www.uncf.org/Campaign/News/mj.asp

Second stop of the first US leg of the Bad Tour, New York - Michael Jackson performs at the Madison Square Garden, the first of three concerts is a benefit for the United Negro College Fund.

On March 1, 1988

On occasion of the United Negro College Fund's 44th dinner at a press conference organized by his sponsor, Pepsi, in Manhattan, N.Y., he offers UNCF’s President and CEO, Christopher Edley a check for 600,000 dollars, the entire grossings from his private sold-out benefit concert, making him one of "UNCF"s most significant donators. The reviews in New York read, "Michael's act has already gone well beyond a pop music concert. By this time, 97 young people had benefited from Michael Jackson's generosity to the United Negro College Fund."

March, 10

On March 10, 1988, the "United Negro College Fund" recompenses him with Fisk University’s "Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters Degree" and the Frederick D. Patterson Award at the Sheraton Hotel in New York City, N.Y., honoring the entertainer's continued commitments to "UNCF" towards alleviating world hunger, his help of terminally ill children and his inspirational example to the youth of America.

In appreciation of Jackson's generous gift, the UNCF honored him at its 44th Annual Dinner, an event that provided a new and revealing look at Jack-son's seldom publicized role as a philanthropist.
UNCF President and CEO Christopher Edley told EBONY: "Four years ago when the Victory Tour was concluding, Michael gave a significant portion of his earnings from the shows to the UNCF and we established a Michael Jackson Scholarship Fund. Ninety-seven scholarships have been awarded." Edley said the $600,000 will be added to the Jackson fund. "It's a tremendous total contribution bv him to Black higher education, and a recognition on his part that the young Black people who are his fans deserve everv break in life", - said Edley. He added that Jackson's scholars are enrolled in virtually all of the 42 UNCF schools.

During the UNCF tribute dinner at New York's Sheraton Centre, attended by presidents of the member institutions along with corporation chief executives and superstars of the entertainment industry, two Michael Jackson Scholarship recipients presented to him a book of thank-you letters from all of the students enrolled at Black colleges on his scholarships. Curressia McFarland, a Rust College (Miss.) communications major with a 3.9 average, said: "Mr. Jackson, for many years I have followed your singing career, certain that I would grow up and one day marry you. At the same time, I had dreams of a career in broadcasting . .. Over the years, I've somewhat outgrown the first dream. However, with your help I am a step closer to the second. Thanks to vou and the United Negro College Fund, I've gained the educational foundation that I needed to attain my career goals."
Ellis Staten, a music education major at South Carolina's Benedict College, told Jackson: "For me, this scholarship has done more than fulfill a financial need; it has helped me to build mv confidence and self-esteem . . ."

Jackson meets Ellis Staten and Curessia McFarland. two recipients of the 97 scholarships made possible through Jackson's con-tributions to the UNCF

An honorary doctor of humane letters degree was presented to Jackson by President Henry Ponder of Fisk University, whose rebound from a 1986 financial crisis was helped by a $1.3 million contribution from Bill Cosby and his wife Camille and some of the money raised by Lou Rawls' annual telethon.
"As though your special gift and talent were not sufficient, you have sought to make the world a better place through many humanitarian and philanthropic efforts with We Are The World, a song you co-wrote with Lionel Richie," Dr. Ponder praised Jackson, adding, "You touched the hearts of hundreds of millions of people and spurred international efforts to eradicate world hunger."

In presenting him the coveted Frederick D. Patterson Award, named for the former Tuskegee Institute (now University) president who founded the UNCF in 1944, Dr. Mabel McLean, president of Barber Scotia College in Concord, N.C., and then chair of the presidents of UNCF member institutions, told Jackson: "Through your efforts to increase knowledge, to combat hunger, to aid terminally ill children, to inspire youth, you have shown the world that caring, sharing and daring to lend a hand is what's really Bad!"

A surprise of the evening came when emcee Ossie Davis, a Howard University alumnus, presented President Ronald Reagan in a pre-recorded message. Congratulating the honoree for receiving the coveted Patterson Award and for becoming "the new Dr. J," President Reagan said: "I am specially impressed by your involvement with the TJ. Martel Foundation, Camp Good Times for children fighting cancer, and the United Negro College Fund, a charity' Nancy and I have been personally committed to for many years ... As honorary chairman of the UNCF soon-to-be announced Capital Campaign, I believe the educational opportunities historically Black colleges and universities offer are vital to the progress of our nation.. . Michael, your partnership with the UNCF will help accomplish more good in the world . . . God bless you."

The sensitive, shy performing artist was so awed by the accolades that he was almost speechless. " - Jackson responded to the tributes. "I appreciate everybody coming ... First, I do want to thank God, who makes everything possible. Then mv dear mother and father who are in the audience, thank you for all you have done for me. I really appreciate it from the bottom of my heart." He had special praise for the UNCF: "I would like to say this about the United Negro College Fund. An education opens a person's mind to the entire world, and there is nothing more important than to make sure everyone has the opportunity for an education. To want to learn, to have the capacity to learn and not to be able to is a tragedy. I am honored to be associated with an evening that says this will never happen. Thank you. I love you all."

...CBS Records President and CEO Walter Yetnikoff says, 'There's a small private part of Michael that I don't know how many people know about. The guy goes to hospitals to visit young people. The guy will make a telephone call to a sick kid." Yetnikoff says there are hundreds of little things that Michael Jackson— not the entertainer, not the public figure—but "Michael Jackson, the man," does for people.

Ask the superstar and he will reveal why he has been and still is involved in charitable and humanitarian deeds. He told EBONY: "I feel very fortunate to have been blessed with recognition for my efforts. This recognition also brings with it a responsibility to one's admirers throughout the world. Performers should always serve as role models who set examples for young people."
EBONY • June, 1988

[video=youtube;RWmg3hucmIg]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWmg3hucmIg[/video]

[video=youtube;_4hArwvO1T0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4hArwvO1T0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Last edited:
Michael becomes the King of England

Guild Hall

1988, July,20

Michael Jackson: The day our man came face-to-face with King of Pop

Jun 26 2009 by Paul Cole, Sunday Mercury

IT was the knight in shining armour galloping across the courtyard who did it. He leapt from his saddle, pulled a sword from a stone and went down on one knee before Michael Jackson.
Then he handed Excalibur to the excited pop legend, and made him King of England. Jackson, dressed in the bright red and blue uniform of a military dictator, just giggled and grinned.

It was one of those moments when you had to pinch yourself to ensure that you weren’t dreaming – the most surreal meeting I ever had in a long career as a showbiz writer.

The invitation had been simple: would I care to join Michael Jackson for dinner at London’s historic Guildhall ahead of his string of shows at Wembley Stadium, part of 1988’s Bad tour?

Guests of honour at Guildhall banquets are more usually kings and queens, world leaders and politicians. It had been the centre of civic government in Britain for more than 1,000 years.

And, indeed, Jackson was treated like royalty. He became the first commoner ever to enter by the hall’s Royal Entrance, a unique privilege that required the Queen’s personal approval.

His arrival was heralded by the red-jacketed trumpeters of the Life Guard cavalry, usually seen marching along the Mall. There followed a £75,000 banquet full of pomp and circumstance.

The roast beef was paraded through the room by the Corps of Drums of the Honourable Artillery Company, and dancers in Olde English costume scattered rose petals at Jackson’s feet.

During dinner, he watched wide-eyed as first Henry VIII, then Elizabeth I, Lord Nelson, Nell Gwynn, Robin Hood, Maid Marion and Dick Whittington popped up to pay their respects.

At one stage ballet dancers burst from a box for his approval. Fire-eaters, jugglers, jesters and Elizabethan musicians took it in turn to visit his table.

Then Jackson was stunned as magician Merlin appeared in a puff of smoke, and glittering knights in armour bowed before the US pop superstar.

But as guests tucked into the finest food England had to offer, the reclusive singer nibbled only at corn on the cob, vegetable salad and fresh orange juice prepared by the personal chef he had flown over.

It was as the dinner ended that things took a surreal turn.

I joined Jackson, his pony-tailed manager Frank Dileo and 10 year-old orphan Jimmy Safechuck – the first in a string of the singer’s young companions – in the Guildhall courtyard.

Jackson took the salute as the Band of the Corps of Royal Engineers beat the retreat, walking up and down a line of liveried Life Guard troops as if he were a general inspecting them.

He bopped lightly on his heels as the band played military marches and grinned wildly when they launched into a version of his hit Billie Jean.

It was then that a clatter of hooves announced the arrival of the knight who would bear Excalibur into his hands. Jackson was blissfully unaware of the historical significance of the moment.

He handed the sword to a 7ft minder wearing a top hat. It was at that moment that I became one of the very few guests to get a word with him.

“Do you realise,” I said, “that you’ve just become the King of England? That’s supposed to be the sword King Arthur pulled from the stone before he recruited the knights of the Round Table.”

His response was utter delight. “Gee,” he said. “A King? I never knew. I love your traditions. You have so much history here in England!”

And with that, he was whisked away to a limo to take him back to a top Mayfair hotel, and a meeting with Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford to discuss a new movie version of Peter Pan. It was very different to Jackson’s brief encounter with fans at London’s O2 Arena last week, at which he announced a string of comeback concerts, the last he will ever play in the capital.

Time and trouble have taken their toll on the man who would be King.
http://www.sundaymercury.net/news/m...face-to-face-with-king-of-pop-66331-23090551/

[video=youtube;luKj-UM60BQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luKj-UM60BQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Last edited:

MTV Video Vanguard Award:

Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award

Lifetime Achievement Award

September, 7

Michael received the MTV Video Vanguard Award from Peter Gabriel during a special presentation via satellite. Peter Gabriel is presenting the award to him, which has also been called the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award and the Lifetime Achievement Award, and is given to musicians who have had a profound effect on the MTV culture.

Michael Jackson won the Video Vanguard award at the 5th annual MTV Video Music Awards, which is given to musicians who have made a profound effect on the MTV culture. MTV recognized Michael's influence in the music video field, when he not only collected the MTV Video Vanguard Award, but saw the award re-named the 'Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award' for future recipients as well.

Michael Jackson changed the music video from a mere promotional tool featuring musicians playing instruments and singing, to a piece of art with a storyline, or as MJ likes to put as 'short films'. His video Thriller influenced and changed music videos into what it is like today.

The MTV Video Vanguard Award is presented each year to an artist for career achievements in video. The 1987 recipient of the award, Peter Gabriel, who was honored for his wonderful Sledgehammer promo, presented the award to 1988's recipient, Michael Jackson. After a montage of clips from Michael's videos, the award was presented to Michael live via satellite from London, just before one of Michael's performances there. In presenting the award to Michael, Gabriel joked, "I sincerely hope this award will rescue this artist from obscurity and set him on the road to fame & fortune and it gives me great pleasure to give the Video Vanguard Award to Michael Jackson." In an extremely quite voice, Michael accepted saying only, "Thank you. Thank you very much."

Following this lengthy acceptance speech, a special taped performance of "Bad", filmed at one of Michael's Wembley Stadium dates, was shown. The performance featured Michael's new version of the moonwalk, gliding sideways instead of backwards. He also executed the original moonwalk, just as fascinating as ever, with another new just as impossible step in which he walks forward skidding his foot on the floor as he moves it forward, making his steps look rapid & choppy, like several animated pictures each slightly different than the one before, flipped through quickly making the figure appear to be moving. The review of Michael's career in video, his acceptance of the Vanguard Award and his performance were without a doubt the only highlights of the entire lackluster award show.

Michael had two other nominations. Michael & Vincent Patterson were nominated for Best Choreography for "The Way You Make Me Feel" and Michael, Gregg Burge, and Jeffrey Daniel were nominated in the same category for their wok on "Bad". The award went to Barry Lather for his work on Janet's video for "Pleasure Principle".
http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/2010/09/today-in-mjj-history_07.html

Last edited:
gwr-logo.jpg

Guinness Book of World Records:

Most Successful Concert Series

Wembley Stadium:

Record Breaking Seven Sell Out Shows

September 8

Michael Jackson sold out for seven nights at Wembley Stadium, London, England in the summer of 1988. A total of 504,000 people saw Michael perform July 14-16, 22-23, and August 26-27, 1988.
Michael was presented with an award for his seven sold out concerts at the Wembley stadium which earned him another entry into the Guinness Book Of Records.
Michael's band members speak of the excitement of playing London's Wembley Stadium. Frank Dileo adds,
"Playing Wembley is one of the biggest honors any artist could have. It's a status symbol within artists themselves, whether or not they can sell out Wembley Stadium, and of course Michael set a new record. He sold it out 7 times. You can't get any bigger than that."

The most successful of the ['Bad' World Tour's] European dates were those in London at Wembley Stadium. Ticket demand for the five July dates exceeded 1.5 million, enough to fill the 72,000 capacity venue 20 times. Jackson performed 7 sold out shows, beating the previous record held by Madonna, Bruce Springsteen and Genesis. More shows could have been added, but the venue had reached its live performance quotas. The third concert on July 16 was attended by Princess Diana and Prince Charles. On September 8, Jackson was entered into the Guinness World Records, the first of three times from the tour alone. The Wembley shows were attended by a record 504,000 people.

During his Bad World Tour Michael donates money to hospitals, orphanages and charity-organizations:

July 16, 1988:

Before a concert at Wembley Stadium Michael meets the Prince of Wales and his wife Diana. He hands over a check of 150,000 pounds for the Prince's Trust, and a check of 100,000 pounds for the children's hospital at Great Ormond Street.

Gold metal microphone was presented to Michael Jackson by the Prince's Trust in acknowledgement of his tremendous support.

[video=youtube;kDzC2U_eKNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDzC2U_eKNk[/video]

He also contributes to the Wishing Well Fund, established to help finance the construction of a new building for London's Hospital for Sick Children. Michael toured the hospital and visited with some of the patients.

July 20, 1988:

Michael visits terminally ill children at Great Ormond Street Hospital. At a unit for less critical patients he stays a little bit longer and tells a story.

He visits critically ill children and their parents at the “Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital”, where he spends longer time with the less critical patients, reserving words of comfort to them, reading them stories and delivering presents, including albums, signed photos and T-shirts. He associates himself with the “Wishing Well Fund” for sponsoring the contruction of a novel unit, as part of the “Hospital for Sick Children” in Great Ormond Street, London, England.

Notably, 9-year old Neil Clark, having undergone live-saving surgery to remove a brain tumour – and originally not scheduled to see the popstar – is visited by the singer, the boy’s father declaring with gratitude that the visit “cheered my son up”. 4-year-old Joanne Doeffer, having undergone a throat operation and breathing through a special tube, was visited by the star, the meet-and-greet prompting her to struggle and say “Thriller” to a delighted Jackson.

During his Bad Tour (as well as other tours of his), he was reported to be joined backstage prior to his concerts by children with illnesses from the respective local areas of his performances, with whom the entertainer would pose for pictures and sign autographs to, often, the singer spending time purchasing and assembling playthings he would personally deliver to them the following day, according to Seth Riggs, Jackson’s vocal coach.

August 29, 1988:

At his 30th birthday Michael performs a concert in Leeds, England for the English charity-organization "Give For Life". The goal of this organization is the immunization of children. Michael presents a check for 65,000 pounds. The proceeds from the concert were contributed toward helping immunize 40,000 children.

de5ac98bcb56.jpg

Brit Awards

Best International Solo Artist 1987

The Brit Awards (stylized as the BRIT Awards; often simply called the Brits) are the British Phonographic Industry's annual pop music awards. The name was originally a shortened form of "British" or "Britannia", but subsequently became a backronym for British Record Industry Trust.
The awards began in 1977 and as annual event in 1982 under the auspices of the British record industry's trade association. The last BPI Awards show took place at the The O2 and was the first of the ceremonies to be broadcast on television, by the BBC the awards transferred to ITV in 1993. In 1989 they were renamed the Britannia Music Awards to echo sponsorship by Britannia Music Club and this was shortened to BRIT Awards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brit_Awards

They have awarded Jackson with six awards, including the "Artist of a Generation" award:

Year Nominated work Award Result
1984 Best International Solo Artist Won
Thriller Best International Album Won
1988 Best International Solo Artist Won
1989 Best International Artist (Male) Won
"Smooth Criminal" Best Music Video Won
1996 Artist of a Generation Award Won

Nominated artists (Madonna, Whitney, Jackson, Vandross, Prince), then Michael Jackson accepts award and makes speech via satellite link. Noel Edmonds presents.

[video=youtube;KK3x7_s1KJM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK3x7_s1KJM[/video]

http://www.brits.co.uk/videos/1988-best-in...michael-jackson

Last edited:

American Music Award

Special Award Of Achievement

Video Pioneer Award

30 January

Eddie Murphy presents Michael with the Special Award Of Achievement at the 16th American Music Awards held at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, Ca.

Michael was honored for his ground breaking artistry and technology in video, and for the record breaking success of his BAD album and tour. Cashbox magazine awarded Michael the Video Pioneer Award in recognition of his excellence in video as captured in the Triumph video for Can You Feel It, THRILLER, and Moonwalker. The inscription on the Video Pioneer Award reads:
For his pioneering efforts in the field of music videos epitomized by 'The Triumph', a pre 1980's breakthrough in concept and special effects, and THRILLER, an innovative combination of drama, music and dance. The Video Pioneer Award is given to Michael Jackson on the occasion of his new feature length anthology, Moonwalker becoming the largest selling music home video of all time.

The second special award Michael received was an American Music Award of Achievement. Its inscription reads:
Because his album, BAD, is the first ever to generate five number one singles, because it has been a number one best seller for a record breaking twenty five countries around the world, and because it has been the largest international seller in each of the last two years, the American Music Award of Achievement is presented to Michael Jackson on january 30, 1989.

Both of these special awards were presented to Michael by Eddie Murphy, at Michael's request.

Before introducing Michael, Murphy narrated a 14 minute tribute to Michael Jackson showcasing his international tour and recapping the BAD album's five number one hit singles. Walking shyly toward center stage to gather his awards, the audience greeted Michael with deafening applause and a standing ovation. Michael was dressed in black and red, buckles, and no sunglasses.

As the applause subsided and Michael began to speak, his soft voice could bearly be heard over the microphone, which was on a very low stand. He had to bend over and speak directly into the mike to be heard. Holding his awards, he asked Eddie to adjust the mike stand for him, "Could you lift that up please?" Eddie tried to adjust it but it wouldn't budge. "You do it" Eddie told Michael. Michael replied, "I can't, I need your help." It became a joke when Eddie told the audience what was happening. (Their conversation was bearly audible.) "He said, 'Pull it up Eddie', like I was working for him! And do it! Yes Michael!" So, bent over, Michael spoke briefly as always:
I'd like to thank God, who makes all things possible. I'd like to thank my mother and father, Katherine and Joseph Jackson. I'd like to thank Berry Gordy, who gave me my first professional start in show business, the Epic family, Walter Yetnikoff, Larry Stessel, Glen Bundman, Frank Dileo, Quincy Jones, and Bruce Swedian. I love you. And the public. Thank you.

While he was very shy, Michael appeared to be enjoying himself and seemed to be genuinely honored with the awards, the tribute, and the overwhelming response from the audience.

http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/2011/01/today-in-mjj-history_30.html

Michael Jackson at American Music Awards 1989

Last edited:

Soul Train Music Awards

1st Annual Sammy Davis Junior/Heritage Award

Best R&B/Urban Contemporary Music Video - "Man In The Mirror"

Best R&B/Urban Contemporary Male Single - "Man In The Mirror"

At the 3rd Annual Soul Train Music Awards from January 30, 1989, Dame Elizabeth Taylor and comedy actor, Eddie Murphy, present Michael Jackson with the first Annual Heritage Award for Career Achievement, and the Sammy Davis Jr. Award for Entertainer of the Year. In addition, on this occasion, Jackson is called for the first time, "in my estimation, the true king of pop, rock and soul" by Taylor. She also makes the following introductory speech about her friend: "I'd like to say a few words about a wonderful human being, who is also one of my dearest friends. I would adore Michael Jackson, whether he was the world's biggest, greatest star or not. But it so happens that he is the greatest and, perhaps, one of the most gifted gifted music makers the world has ever known. What makes Michael even more unique may be the fact that all of his accomplishments, his rewards have not altered his sensitivity and concern for the welfare of others or his intense caring and love for his family and friends and fans, and, especially, all the children all the world over. Michael Jackson is, indeed, an international favorite for all ages, an incredible force of incredible energy, the art in music, a pace-setter for quality of production, a vanguard for highest standards of entertainment. What is a genius? What is a living legend? What is a megastar? Michael Jackson, that's all. And just when you think you know him, he gives you more ..."

Michael Jackson Soul Train Music Awards 1989

Last edited:

World Music Awards:

Number 1 Video In The World, “Dirty Diana”

Philips Hall Of Fame Awards - for Special Achievement In Video

April 14

The World Music Awards is an international awards show founded in 1989 that annually honors recording artists based on worldwide sales figures provided by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI). The awards show is conducted under the patronage of His Serene Highness Albert II, The Prince of Monaco, Monte-Carlo.
The show is broadcast to North and South America, all of Europe, the Middle East, Japan and Southeast Asia, all of China, some other parts of Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and all of Africa reaching an estimated worldwide audience of around one billion viewers, in over 160 countries.[1] The show receives much of its publicity and press from utilizing outside companies.
All the proceeds from the show go to the Monaco Aide and Presence Foundation, which assists underdeveloped areas mainly in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe and Brazil. So far, many projects have been successfully carried out; a hospital at Port Bouet in Côte d'Ivoire serving a population of over 170,000 inhabitants, a home in Katukuranda, Sri Lanka for handicapped girls, a hospital and school in Niger, and a hospital in Cambodia. Additionally, a home for abandoned children in Brazil, plus a village for the homeless in Madagascar have been constructed, and the complete renovation of an existing hospital in Mokatam, Egypt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Music_Awards

In 1989, April 14, on occasion of the 1st ever World Music Awards show in Monaco, he receives an important honor, which is the ‘Philips Hall Of Fame Award For Special Achievement in Video’, presented to by singer Whitney Houston at Jackson’s Neverland Ranch, for his ‘enormous contribution on the state of the art of video’, and his “consistent artistic and technical excellence in all forms of video, and for raising the standard of the art form to new horizons”. He also wins the World Music Video Award for number 1 Video In The World, “Dirty Diana”.

Whitney Houston recently jetted to the home of superstar Michael Jackson in Encino, Calif., to present the pop music idol with a Lifetime Achievement Award for Video which was broadcast as part of the recent world Music video Awards. After the taping of the presentation, Michael invited the songbird and crew to a sumptuous luncheon and a guided tour on horseback of his lavish estate.
Jet, Sept ., 4, 1989

For Special Achievement In Video:

[video=youtube;f_dMi7zYtGk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_dMi7zYtGk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

For Number 1 Video In The World, “Dirty Diana”:

[video=youtube;3SAVyI8NedY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SAVyI8NedY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

'Philip Hall Of Fame' Awards 1989

VOB, 90,47 МВ

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3Y4ER32P

Children Of The World Awards:

Rock Over Europe Award

In 1989, at Jackson's Neverland Ranch, representatives of the 'Children Of The World' present the entertainer with the "Rock Over Europe Award" for Best Children Of The World Music Video, "for total video works and connections with the battled , for his great creativity, story-board, engineering and perfect production". The award was chosen by children the world over.

[video=youtube;tTOC9LONv7U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTOC9LONv7U&feature=player_embedded[/video]

VOB, 48,71 МБ

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CXIG5HLG

Last edited:

Britaw.jpg

Brit Awards:

Best International Male
Best British Video - “Smooth Criminal”

February, 13

The Four Tops announce Michael Jackson as the winner of the Best International Male Award. The Four Tops accept the award on behalf of Michael Jackson.

1989 - Best International Male - Michael Jackson

[video=youtube;FZ5EO-PeyUo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ5EO-PeyUo[/video]

http://www.brits.co.uk/britstv/1989-best-international-male-michael-jackson

Jules Holland & Ken Russell announce Michael Jackson as the winner of the Best Video Award. Jules Holland & Ken Russell accept the award on behalf of Michael Jackson.

1989 - Best Video - Michael Jackson

[video=youtube;SmDU9JAmgAk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmDU9JAmgAk[/video]

http://www.brits.co.uk/britstv/1989-best-video-michael-jackson

http://www.brits.co.uk/history/shows/1989

Black Radio Exclusive Awards:

Humanitarian Award

In March, 1989, he accepts the "Black Radio Exclusive (BRE) Humanitarian Award" at the Universal Amphitheater in Universal City, California, as a recognition for his charitable and humanitarian endeavors during ceremonies held recently at the Universal Amphitheater in Universal City, Calif., as actress Tatiana looks on.

BRE Awards:

Triple Crown Award, King Of Pop, Rock & Soul
Video Of The Year - "Smooth Criminal"

May, 8

BRE - Black Radio Exclusive Awards show honored Michael Jackson as the "Triple Crown Winner for Outstanding Achievement in Pop, Rock and Soul."
This elegantly laminated plaque has a black and gold edging, with purple printing on a faux-marble background, with a stylized photo image of Michael in his trademark black fedora.

Last edited:

MTV Music Video Awards:

Best Special Effects - Leave Me Alone -win

Best Video (nomination) - Leave Me Alon?
Best Art Direction (nomination) - Leave Me Alone
Best Editing (nomination) - Leave Me Alone
Breakthrough Video (nomination) - Leave Me Alone
Viewer's Choice (nomination) - Leave Me Alone
Best Dance Video (nomination) - Smooth Criminal
Best Choreography (nomination) - Smooth Criminal
Best Cinematography (nomination) - Smooth Criminal

September, 6

The MTV Music Video Awards were presented. Dominating the nominations with 9 were videos by none other than Michael Jacksom. "Leave Me Alone"was nominated for Best Video, Best Special Effects, Best Art Direction , Best Editing, Breakthrough Video & the Viewer's Choice Award. "Smooth Criminal" was nominated for Best Dance, Best Choreography, and Best Cinematography. The outcome was dissapointing with the only award for Michael's video going to Jim Blashfield for Best Special Effects for his work on "Leave Me Alone".
Michael did not attend the award presentation.

MPEG, 117 ?B -

MTV "Rate the 80s":
The Greatest Video in the History of the World - Thriller

MTV Top 100 Videos of the Decade:

#1 - Thriller
#13 - Beat It
#27 - Billie Jean
#40 - Man in the Mirror

December, 6

1989 - MTV aired a special, Rate The 80's, in which they revealed how viewers had voted in several phone in categories, including their choices for Best Movie, Video, and TV show of the 80's. Viewers phoned in their choices for one month. Michael Jackson had the most nominations with three. "Thriller" was nominated for the Greatest Video in the HIStory of the World, THRILLER was nominated for Really Big Album, and Michael was among the nominees for Mega Artist of the 80's. "Thriller" was chosen as the Greatest Video in the History of the World with 35% of the vote.

This award was presented to Michael when he made a surprise appearance on the Arsenio Hall Show.

Arsenio Hall Show

December, 11

1989 - MTV award for Thriller as the Greatest Video in the History of the World was presented to Michael when he made a surprise appearance on the Arsenio Hall Show.

This was a dream come true for Hall who had earlier told an interviewer he hoped Michael Jackson would make an appearance on his show, even if it was a very brief appearance, just to say, "I don't do TV!" Hall's guest was Eddie Murphy. Murphy had been chosen by MTV viewers as the Humor God of the 80's. Michael made a special appearance on the show to surprise Murphy and present him with the award. Murphy then surprised Michael by presenting him with the video award.

After the audience's deafening applause to Michael's unannounced appearance subsided, Michael, dressed in red and black, spoke only briefly from behind his dark glasses: "Presented to the King of Comedy, of all time, the King." Michael handed the award to Eddie and hugged him. Eddie then presented Michael with his video award: "Viewers Award fo Michael Jackson for the Greatest Video in the History of all Videos, 'Thriller'". With no mike, Michael smiled big and waved to the crowd before walking off the set.
http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/search/label/1989?updated-max=2011-01-16T00:54:00-08:00&max-results=20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLe71rT03Gg&feature=player_embedded

MPEG , 75 MB - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WXGP47H1

VOB , 171,1 MB - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q1SHUOLI

Last edited:

Forbes Magazine

Number One Entertainer of the Year

"Most Famous Alumnus" award

October, 10

In 1989, Forbes Magazine presents the "Gardner Street Elementary School" in Hollywood, Los Angeles with the "Most Famous Alumnus" award; that year, the school, where Michael Jackson attended sixth grade as a child, is renamed in his honor as "The Michael Jackson Auditorium". He attends the unveiling of the newly renamed institution and makes a speech therein. In return for the honor, Jackson pays the salary for the school’s music teacher, has planted memorial bushes near the playground, also leaving his signature on the wall of Room 8, his old 6th grade school room.

Michael attends Gardner St. School as a 6th-grader from 1969 to 1970 (6 months) after the 11-year old singer and his four brothers first moved to California from their hometown of Gary, Indiana to begin their new lives as performers. At the time, the Jackson 5, who had recently been signed to the Motown record label, were on the cusp of super stardom. Young Michael goes to school during the day while recorded songs & performed with the Jackson 5 at night.
But, in January of 1970, after the Jackson 5 skyrocketed to fame, their single "I Want You Back" hit #1, and Michael's popularity made it so that he could no longer be a part of a normal school environment; with fans waiting for him outside or barge into the classroom, it became necessary to arrange for private tutoring. He withdrew from Gardner St. and from that point forward was home schooled by a private tutor named Rose Fine.

This is Michael Jackson's Class Photo Back in 1970

Michael goes back to school when he visits Room 8 at the Gardner Street Elementary School in Hollywood, Los Angeles, where he attended sixth grade as a child. The school's auditorium had been recently refurbished to dedicate in his honor, renaming it 'The Michael Jackson Auditorium'. Michael's former 6th grade teacher, Mrs. Gerstin, and Mrs. Rose Fine, his tutor when he was on the road with the Jackson 5, both attended the dedication.

Michael Jackson's homecoming excited Gardner Street Elementary School pupils, who watched as the pop music superstar helped dedicate a remodeled auditorium named in his honor, symbol of then renamed Gardner Street Elementary School from Los Angeles, California.

Dressed in leather black pants and a red shirt covered in zippers, studs & buckles, and long black fingerless gloves arrived at the school Wednesday to students' squeals of "Michael! Michael!" and was guided into the building by police officers.

“It’s important for the District to value the artistic impact and humanitarian contribution that will be the lasting legacy of Michael Jackson,” said Los Angeles School Board member Steven Zimmer. I’m happy that we will be recognizing and appreciating Michael’s LAUSD moment.”

After several speeches by the school superintendent, PTA representatives, teachers, pupils and parents, Michael's former 6th grade teacher Laura Gerstin introduced Michael and presented him with "Michael Jackson Auditorium" plate - commemorative plaque: "It's an honor to present this plaque to you on behalf of the parents and faculty, past and present, of Gardner School as a token of our respect and our love for you not only as a performer, but as a fine human being."

Michael spoke briefly as always, and has this to say on being honored: "First of all I'd like to thank my teacher, Mrs. Gerstin, Mrs. Rose Fine, she's another one of my teachers, she's here also and I'd like to thank her. I am deeply touched and honored that the PTA, principal and faculty members, and students have been so kind as to dedicate the Auditorium, where I sat as a child, in my honor.
We must never forget that the children are our future, and without them mankind would become extinct. I thank Mrs. Gerstin, I love you, and Ms. Rose Fine (the Jackson 5's former tutor), I love you, and the Garden Street School associates and all the children. I love you. Thank you."

Following the presentation of the plaque, a very happy student presented Michael with a key to the school. Michael then joined the choir in singing "We Are The World." A small crowd then moved outside as Michael unveiled the new letters on the face of the building identifying it as the Michael Jackson Auditorium.

Following the unveiling, Michael was given a tour of his former school. He visited his old classroom and autographed the wall with a marker, "Michael Jackson Love the Children". Epic official Lary Stesselm, Bob Jones and Bill Bray accompanied Michael.

Janique Hennessee, 11, said she was so excited to see Michael that she started crying, but Michael came up to her and dried her tears.

The sign was originally unveiled at the then newly-refurbished auditorium in 1989. However, when the King of Pop was charged with child molestation, the sign was covered with layered board. For the record, the entertainer was never convicted. After his death last year fans began a campaign to have his name revealed. The team of fans have worked tirelessly for more than a year at getting Michael Jackson’s name uncovered from the Gardner Street School Auditorium that was named after him in 1989.

“In recognition of Michael Jackson’s musical legacy and contribution to modern culture I have directed our maintenance and operations department to remove the layered board covering the tribute to Mr. Jackson at Gardner Street Elementary School in Hollywood,” said LAUSD Superintendent Ramon Cortines.

"After a number of heartfelt conversations between me, my grandson Taj, family friend Jodi Gomes, and LAUSD, I am overwhelmed that the school will proudly bear my son's name on its auditorium once again. This could not have been done without the tireless dedication of my son's fans and specifically the wonderful members of the Uncover Michael Jackson's Name Campaign. I look forward to my joint statement with the school in the coming days and thank you from my heart. Michael would be proud." - Mrs. Katherine Jackson.

http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/search/label/1989?updated-max=2011-01-16T00:54:00-08:00&max-results=20

Michael Jackson Visits Gardner Street Elementary School 1989

[video=youtube;3YfOdQW0Dxc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YfOdQW0Dxc[/video]

[video=youtube;I6THHvn8JNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6THHvn8JNk[/video]

Last edited:

CBS Records:

Top Selling Artist Of The Decade

January, 19

Michael Jackson, Pop music icon who virtually has redefined the standards of excellence and success in the industry, was feted recently by CBS Records in Los Angeles for selling more than 110 million recordings worldwide in the 1980s, making him the top-selling musical artist of the decade.
Tommy Mottola, president of CBS Records Division, presented the special award to the epic artist during a ceremony at the Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel. Jackson graciously accepted the statuette, which was fashioned in his likeness in one of his trademark dance poses from the "Smooth Criminal" video against a large disk reading "100 Million". Mattola reads a list of Michael's accomplishments and states, "If I stood here 10 years ago and told you any artist would accomplish what Michael Jackson accomplished, you would have probably laughed me off the stage."

Michael attended the press conference dressed in red and black sequined military jacket, black gloves, and sunglasses.

As usual, his thank yous were brief: "Thank you Tommy, and thank you ladies and gentlemen. I'm sure it won't surprise you that I'm gonna make this one short again, but I have to say, however, that no album sells itself. It's up to the people out there to buy it, and so, I not only want to thank CBS Records and Epic Records, but I especially want to thank everyone everywhere who helped make this award what it is, first a possibility, and now a reality. Thank you Quincy Jones, thank you Dave Glew, thank you Bruce Swedien, John Branca, Mother and Joseph, Walter Yetnikoff and Hank Caldwell. And all of the children of the world. I love you Goodbye."

During the ‘80s, Jackson produced the two largest-selling albums of the decade: Thriller, which also earned him a place in The Guinness Book of World Records for top-selling album, and Bad, which achieved the No. 1 chart position in a record-breaking 25 countries.
In addition, Bad is the only album in history to have five No. 1 singles, while Thriller was the first to generate seven singles in the Top 10 position. In all, Jackson achieved nine No. 1 singles in the 1980s, more than any other artist.

Among those in attendance were Michael's parents, Berry Gordy, Little Richard, Elton John, Gladys Knight, and Siedah Garrett.
JET, March, 12, 1990
http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/search/label/1990

[video=youtube;0xsnULi7wuM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xsnULi7wuM[/video]

Last edited:

American Cinema Awards

Entertainer Of The Decade

27 January

Michael receives the Entertainer Of The Decade award at the 7th American Cinema Awards held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Ca.

The American Cinema Foundation awarded special honors to three entertainers. Elizabeth Taylor and Gregory Peck were honored for their career achievements in films. The Entertainer of the Decade honor was awarded to Michael Jackson.

Among Michael's guests at the award presentation were Janet, Tito, and Jermaine. The award ceremony was a little late getting started, as Michael showed up two hours late. When he finally showed up, dressed in a red shirt, and black military jacket, Sophia Loren presented Michael with his award, and he gave an incredible three minute speech. "I'm giving a long speech because I'm not on television." In fact, no cameras were allowed to film him. In his speech, Michael spoke of his deep affection for fellow honoree Elizabeth Taylor. Taylor had had similar praise for Michael in her own speech saying she was happy to be honored with "my beloved Michael, whom I would have loved and admired if I had never seen him dance or heard him sing."

http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/2011/01/today-in-mjj-history_27.html

American Cinema Awards 1990 - Michael Jackson and Sophia Loren

Last edited:

Presidential Award:

Artist Of The Decade

Point of Light Ambassador

On April 5, 1990, during a ceremony, he is awarded as "Entertainer Of The Decade", and in recognition for his philanthropic commitments, former President, Mr. George Bush Sr., presents him at the White House with the "Point of Light Ambassador" award, who makes an introductory speech explaining to the press Jackson's humanitarianism throughout the years. Jackson is the only entertainer who has received this honor. Jackson will then autograph Easter eggs for the annual White House Easter egg roll and presents President Bush with his audio albums.
Point of Light Ambassador
In 1990, the Point of Light Foundation created by President Bush SR, was to encourage American citizens to lend their services to the community in "a call to action."

White House employees, including secretaries and maintenance men, gathered under the Rose Garden portico, straining their necks and clicking cameras. On Pennsylvania Avenue, curious crowds gathered at the fence awaiting his departure in a white stretch limousine. A visiting head of state? No, it was the elusive megastar Michael Jackson, come to see the President.

As he stood at Mr. Bush's side in the Rose Garden this morning to be photographed, the entertainer was dressed in his usual glittering style: a black military-style jacket and leggings trimmed with bands of red, silver buckles and an enormous rhinestone pin. Dark curls fell to his shoulders. His feet were shod in silver-and-black high-topped shoes and he wore black gloves. As he walked from the Oval Office with the President and Barbara Bush, the Bushes' daughter-in-law, Margaret, and Millie, the Bushes' dog, he quickly donned his trademark sunglasses.

The celebrated singer, dancer and songwriter visited the White House, a press aide said, to talk about his interest in the President's ''points of light'' concept. After speaking of Mr. Jackson's humanitarian work with children, Mr. Bush briefly discussed the coming visit by President Mikhail S. Gorbachev, which had just been announced.
By BARBARA GAMAREKIAN, Special to The New York Times
Published: April 06, 1990
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/06/arts/bushes-see-michael-jackson.html

[video=youtube;HfoJehiQDpw] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfoJehiQDpw [/video]

White House
By Doug Wead

Sometimes what seems important isn’t. And what seems so ordinary is really special.

In 1990, I was serving as a special assistant to the president in the George H. W. Bush White House. One day a staffer named Joe Watkins brought Michael Jackson in for a visit. Joe was a floater who reported to several different members of the senior staff but I suppose I was the action officer since the stop-by fell into one of the categories that I was supposed to be tracking. In any case, Joe generously offered to bring him by for a visit.

Now I have to explain that the gloved one’s career was in decline and no one made a lot of fuss on this visit and everyone was so busy we let Joe just take him around. It was a far cry from the 1984 Rose Garden — Ronald Reagan heyday for Jackson. And in 1988, then vice president George H. W. Bush had his own White House event with him. So yes, we genuinely respected and admired Michael Jackson but there was something like that happening all the time and everyone was very busy.

I had my hands full that day with a gaggle of French students. We had an event ready in the ornate, Indian Treaty Room of the Old Executive Office Building where Vice President Dan Quayle would greet them and give a short speech. My wife is French and would be translating for the vice president so she was nervous and that made me nervous too. So I was totally preoccupied.

Well, just as we were about to open the two grand doors and introduce the vice president, who was waiting in the adjacent room, one of the students looked out of another doorway into the hall of the Old Executive Office Building and saw Joe Watkins strolling his way with Michael Jackson at his side.

“Michael Jackson!” he yelled. And the French students rose as one person and raced out of the room and into the hallway. They surrounded Jackson asking for autographs and giggling and smiling as the cameras popped. Joe Watkins was beaming.

I was with the vice president’s assistant who was dumbfounded. He had just lost his audience. “What’s going on?”

“It’s Michael Jackson,” I said.

“And this is the vice president of the United States,” he snapped back angrily.

There was an awkward pause. The vice president’s schedule was pretty important.

“These kids have never heard of Dan Quayle,” I explained gently. “But they do know Michael Jackson.”

“You’re telling me that these university students don’t know the name of the vice president of the United States?”

“Well,” I responded mischievously, “Do you know the name of the vice president of France?”

The aide only glared back with a puckered expression on his face.

“I rest my case.”

Of course, it was a trick question because there is no vice president of France. The office doesn’t exist in the French government.

We patiently waited for the tide to come back in and the vice president graciously gave his speech to the students from France but they were still glowing with smug satisfaction, their cameras sated and their minds already formulating the stories they would tell back home.

And so it was, that day I missed my chance to meet Michael Jackson, or to get his autograph for my kids, but then, if any of you are interested, I do have lots of signed pictures with Dan Quayle.

And the kids from France? They returned with full hearts. My guess is that when Michael departed last year, every one of them had a story to tell. And a picture to prove it.
http://www.newsmax.com/DougWead/WeadJacksonMichaelQuayle/2010/09/08/id/369577

Michael Jackson in the driveway of the White House, 1990

I was an editor at Spin magazine in the early 90s, and covering this White House event with Michael Jackson on April 5, 1990, was one of my very first assignments as a writer. The Capital Children's Museum was honoring Jackson with an "Entertainer of the Decade" humanitarian award, and I just happened to be the one to open Spin's press invitation the day it arrived in the mail. Having just gotten hired by the magazine for what was essentially my first real job after college, I was naturally thrilled to volunteer for the trip from Manhattan to D.C. to stand alongside the press professionals in the Rose Garden of the White House.

It was quite a surreal scene. My first glimpse of Jackson came when he briefly appeared in his pseudo-military regalia on a balcony across the street from the White House talking to Vice President Dan Quayle (I would still give anything to have been in on that conversation). Eventually Jackson arrived to face the press in the Rose Garden, escorted by President George Bush and Barbara Bush.

"This is what we call a photo opportunity," Bush joked to Jackson, before presenting him to the press.

"I just wanted to welcome Michael Jackson here," Bush announced, nearly drowned out by the sound of a lingering helicopter. "He does good work, what we call the 'Points of Light' concept. I just wanted to bring him out here and officially welcome him to the White House once again. Glad you're here, sir. Very pleased you're here."

Jackson beamed and shook Bush's hand twice, but never spoke a word.

For the rather strange remainder of the press briefing the singer stood at rigid attention, his hands tucked behind his back, as Bush answered a number of questions regarding breaking news of an upcoming summit meeting with Mikhail Gorbachev. There was no Q&A session with Jackson, but later I met him in the White House driveway and shook his gloved hand. As Jackson's limousine began to pull away I asked him through his half-open window if he had any words for Spin readers, and he leaned out and whispered, "I love you all..."

Mark Blackwell, Co-founder, Nylon magazine
Los Angeles, California
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-290185?ref=feeds/oncnn

Last edited:

BMI Inaugural:

1st Michael Jackson Award Of Achievement

Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI) collects license fees on behalf of the more than 475,000 songwriters, composers and music publishers it represents and distributes those fees as royalties to members whose works have been publicly performed.

As a performing right organization, or PRO, BMI issues licenses to various users of music, including television and radio stations and networks; new media, including Internet services and websites and mobile technology businesses such as ringtone and ringback providers; satellite audio services like XM and Sirius; nightclubs, discos, hotels, bars, restaurants and other businesses; digital jukeboxes; and live concert venues.

Formed in 1939 as a non-profit-making performing right organization, BMI was the first to offer representation to songwriters of blues, country, jazz, r&b, gospel, folk, Latin and, ultimately, rock & roll. BMI was founded by radio executives to provide competition

Awards and Honors

BMI is the leader in the industry's most important awards and honors presentations. Its roster of songwriters and composers is unparalleled in its depth and breadth, ranging from industry to legends to the best of today’s hitmakers.

BMI songwriters’ and composers’ success is unequaled in the industry, as evidenced by their dominance of the industry’s most prestigious awards and honors presentations over the years.
http://www.bmi.com/about/entry/533110

Michael Jackson graced the cover of BMI MusicWorld magazine in the summer of 1990.

Michael Jackson receives the BMI Michael Jackson Award from former BMI President & CEO Frances Preston in 1990. The honor, appropriately named after its inaugural recipient, recognized outstanding career achievement

On May 8, 1990, Broadcasting Music Inc. honors the singer with the first "BMI Michael Jackson Award" for his humanitarian efforts, as well as for his songwriting, recording and performing contributions, at a lunch event at Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills. It was the first time BMI named an award for a personality other than the presidents of the company.The winning plaque reads: "Celebrated songwriter and composer, artist of the eighties, creative innovator in music, dance, video and film trendsetter and role model for the youth of the world, benefactor and humanitarian, BMI, on the occasion of its 50th anniversary, is proud to inaugurate the "BMI Michael Jackson Award in honor of these unique and ongoing achievements. [...]"

Sir Elton John (PRS) and Michael Jackson smile for the camera at a BMI-hosted luncheon in Jackson’s honor in 1990:

Pictured at a BMI luncheon held in Michael Jackson’s honor in 1990 are Berry Gordy, Edward Holland, Brian Holland, and Lamont Dozier:

Pictured at a luncheon honoring Michael Jackson in Los Angeles in are BabyFace, Jackson, and L.A. Reid:

Michael Jackson receives the BMI Michael Jackson Award from former BMI President & CEO Frances Preston in 1990. The honor, appropriately named after its inaugural recipient, recognized outstanding career achievement:

http://www.bmi.com/photos/entry/538879

Last edited:

Boy Scouts of America:

1990 Humanitarian Endeavors - Good Scout Humanitarian Award

September, 14

The Council of the American Scouts honors Michael Jackson with the first "Good Scout Humanitarian Award". Michael receives this award for his humanitarian activities by supporting the Make A Wish Foundation, the Prince's Trust, the United Negro College Fund and Childhelp USA
http://www.michaeljacksonbilliejeanjacket.com/webpages/Michael_Jacksons_Awards_for_Charity.htm

Michael Jackson received the first ever "Michael Jackson Good Scout Humanitarian Award" at the Century Plaza Towers in Los Angeles...
Walt Disney CEO Michael Eisner presented the award to Michael. Dressed in a gold & black military style jacket and sunglasses, Michael said only, "On behalf of the millions of past, present, and future Boy Scouts, I will try to abide by your motto of being prepared and always extending a hand to others."
http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/2010/09/today-in-mjj-history_14.htm

The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) is one of the largest youth organizations in the United States, with over 4.5 million youth members in its age-related divisions. Since its founding in 1910 as part of the international Scout Movement, more than 110 million Americans have been members of the BSA.

The BSA operates traditional Scouting locally through units sponsored and operated by churches, clubs, civic associations, educational organizations and the like. Units are led entirely by volunteers who are supported by local councils using both paid professionals and volunteers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America

Good Scouts (1938) is a Donald Duck cartoon which features Donald as the leader of Huey, Dewey, and Louie's scout troop.
The cartoon begins with Donald and his nephews hiking in the great outdoors in Yellowstone National Park. Throughout the cartoon, Donald teaches his nephews about tree-cutting, tent-pitching, first aid, and wild animals all while managing to do everything wrong.
Nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Short Subject in 1938.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Scouts

Megastar entertainer Michael Jackson will be presented the first “Michael Jackson Good Scout Humanitarian Award” by the Los Angeles Area Council, Boy Scouts of America.
The award ceremony will be held Sept. 14, and will be chaired by Michael Eisner, Chairman and chief executive officer of the Walt Disney Company.
The prestigious award was created and named for Michael Jackson in recognition of his humanitarian efforts.
Jackson’s efforts to help those less fortunate embellishes the oaths, laws and principles taught by the Boy Scouts of America a BSA spokesman said.
The Michael Jackson Humanitarian Award will be made nationally available for all Boy Scouts Councils in the U.S.
Future honorees will be selected by the Boy Scouts and Jackson’s Los Angeles-based company, MJJ Productions.
Jet Jul 30, 1990

Michael Lee Bush, MJ’s tailor and costume designer ~30 years:

“The Boy Scouts of America honored MJJ for his charity work with them. This was a poster and photo shoot used for them, the guys were real boy scouts, and we put them in vintage real uniforms. It was in the early 1990’s. Stephanie Mills gave him the award in Century City at the Century plaza Hotel.”
http://love4mj.wordpress.com/2009/1...-from-the-boy-scouts-of-america-sept-14-1990/

Los Angeles Times :
September 17, 1990

"Michael Jackson is a good example to youth, helping us keep kids off the streets by supporting Scouting," said Ray Martin, chairman of the board of Los Angeles Area Council Boy Scouts of America.

Yes, but is he brave, trustworthy and reverent? Would he have made a good Boy Scout even though there are no badges given for glove-wearing or multiple buckle-fastening?

"Yes, I think he epitomizes what's good about kids," said Martin, also chairman and CEO of Coast Federal Bank. "He supports what the scouting programs are doing, giving kids an alternative to street gangs."
Perhaps Jackson represents the change of image that Boy Scouts have undergone. In Los Angeles at least, the Norman Rockwellesque vision of the freshly scrubbed Boy Scout in a khaki uniform and kerchief doesn't always hold true.

"We used to be such a traditional organization, dealing only with kids in middle- and higher-income families," Martin said. "Now we're reaching out to lower-income inner-city kids. We're modifying, changing with the times. If you go to a Scout summer camp you won't see kids with kerchiefs on, you'll see kids who are finding out what it's like to go swimming for the first time."

The evening began with a VIP reception where Jackson posed for pictures in a corner of the room.
"God, I feel sorry for him," said one on-looker as Jackson appeared trapped by the crowd around him. "It's like he's in a cage."

As soon as the photo session was over, Jackson--wearing a studded leather jacket, silver-tipped cowboy boots and sunglasses that he never took off--escaped through a narrow passage in the back, and emerged later at the dinner in the main ballroom.

He was joined there by Chuck Norris, Scott Baio, Telly Savalas, Fred Travalena, Rick Pallack (who had received his own scouting award a few months ago) and Barbara Davis with her children. Some of Jackson's family, including his mother, also were on hand.

Sportscaster Jim Hill (an Eagle Scout) emceed the show, headlined by singer Stephanie Mills. A Michael Jackson video showed screaming fans interspersed with concert footage, more screaming fans, video clips, screaming fans, interviews with celebrities about Michael Jackson, and more screaming fans.

Michael Eisner, chairman of the board and CEO of the Walt Disney Co., was dinner chairman and presented the award to Jackson, saying, "I wasn't a Boy Scout but I was an Indian Guide, and we all know that's a whole different level."
http://articles.latimes.com/1990-09-17/news/vw-654_1_michael-jackson

[video=youtube;GxGSE8QBjwQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxGSE8QBjwQ[/video]

Last edited:
Back