Michael to be subject of a Barbara Walters TV special.

I've seen the documentation now, and on the whole it was really good. I hope she will be also broadcast in other countries.

Seriously, people who proclaim themselves aa experts don't know shit but I'm glad Barbara talked mostly about his artistry, his legacy, a positive focus how Michael was as a human being and his philanthropic efforts rather than focusing more on the rumors, scandals and gossip. She almost redeemed herself fully from that rude interview she did in 1997. Even though including Steve Knoppler was a let down because most of the things he said were bull I was surprised to see it waa mostly positive and truthful in the important parts such as the allegations and Barbara didn't question his innocence.

The new footage waa everything! :excited:

200w.gif

I wonder if this footage was from the TII rehearsals. It was like watching a deity walking in flesh and bones! :dropdead:
200w.gif

down on youtube a I see, if anyone knows where we could stream this thing let us know please!

Seriously, people who proclaim themselves aa experts don't know shit but I'm glad Barbara talked mostly about his artistry, his legacy, a positive focus how Michael was as a human being and his philanthropic efforts rather than focusing more on the rumors, scandals and gossip. She almost redeemed herself fully from that rude interview she did in 1997. Even though including Steve Knoppler was a let down because most of the things he said were bull I was surprised to see it waa mostly positive and truthful in the important parts such as the allegations and Barbara didn't question his innocence.

The new footage waa everything! :excited:

200w.gif

I wonder if this footage was from the TII rehearsals. It was like watching a deity walking in flesh and bones! :dropdead:
200w.gif

Wayne nagin is in a wider shot so its prob from the dangerous or history era

^^^^goin' by the curls, I'd say that's from the making of Scream, but I could very well be wrong. What do I know?

respect77 said:
It wasn't perfect but I appreciate the good-will. It's never too late to start treating MJ fairly. Isn't a change of the hostile media attitude against him that we all want? I also appreciate Tito and TJ's participation. I think such interviews can only be good for MJ.

barbee0715 said:
Watching it made me realize this is the closest to a media apology that we've ever had. Pretty amazing, actually.

Agree with you both. The special was surprisingly fair, if not downright compassionate towards Michael, a complete novelty to the usual approach of propagating the most heinous of lies and hiding the facts of his innocence.

elusive moonwalker said:
Abit late being half decent now after they brainwashed the masses for 25 years.damage that will never be undone

I wouldn't be quite as sure about the damage never being undone. I think the tide has long been turning against the old tabloid narrative. It is my firm conviction that most people are beyond tired of having Michael name's smeared with those terrible lies. His talent and his philanthropy are what most people remember about him. And it seems to me that even the mainstream media has realized that. The solitary online tabloid or some most temporary social media storm-in-a-glass won't change that overwhelming trend.

Hopefully, this special is only the beginning. Considering their onslaught between 1993-2006 the media has got a longgg way to go before they restore any resemblance of fairness and human decency when it comes to portraying Michael and the horrifying troubles to which they contributed so intensely.

If anyone wonders why I only take into account those particular 13 years it is because I believe that was the height of the witch hunt, the period during which there was little to no demarcation line between tabloid and mainstream media when it came to Michael. The few, notable exceptions in the wilderness of sensationalism were almost drowned in an ocean of lies and deceit. The tabloids had written the obituary of Michael's career, popularity and financial prospects long before they buried him at Forest Lawn on September 3rd 2009.

However, the silly, little stories of the 80s were partially Michael's PR team doing, so I cannot completely blame the media for those. In between 2006-2009 they treated him with an indifference which almost resembled a progress considering the prior years. And after June 25th 2009 once they saw the huge outpouring of grief all across the world they finally understood that the real revenue and ratings came not from hounding Michael with lies, but from cherishing him and his art. The most conclusive evidence of that is the lack of coverage by any legitimate media source of the courtroom circuses of the past few years. But within those hellish 13 years they were most vicious towards a man who simply wanted to share his God-given talent with the world, bring joy to people and help out as much as he could.

michael555 said:
The scene with "Charles the french" at the end is quite funny xD

It was very sweet – how awestruck the little boy was and how naturally kind Michael responded. And btw of the 1997 outtakes - as soon as I heard the question about the possibility of leaving fame behind and Michael's antwort to it I thought it was most intriguing. I was convinced my memory had failed me and I hadn't noticed it in the original interview. It turns out it was actually new? I only saw that interview online once many, many years after it took place. In any case, I thought that was most insightful.

One small criticism that I can actually level at the content of the special was the pursuit of the whole Michael as enigma angle. Beyond the wild speculations and broad misconceptions about him, Michael was quite transparent through his music. Anyone who had the curiosity, the willingness to listen and the ability to understand could have known what he was all about simply by paying attention to the music exactly because it was his most natural and complete outlet. Michael's music quite possibly held all the answers to the most ardent questions both the media and the public had about him. It was all right there underneath their collective ears and noses, if only they would have had the courage to investigate what truly mattered.

Overall though, a rather great piece. Looking forward now to similar endeavors by other media outlets or simply the wider distribution of this particular piece. And btw, that expectation doesn't actually entail the worshiping of Michael's every word, action or decision. As Steven Knopper pointed our very well, beyond the horrid media coverage, another huge issue in Michael's life was the presence and influence of sycophants. I truly couldn't care less what the media has to say about his changing appearance and I'm not even that impressed by their praise of his talent. The quality of his music and the impact of his art is almost undeniable by now. What I care most about is how they re-frame the events of 1993 and 2005 in the public conscience and I think most people around here agree – that is what matters most. But then again, maybe they are only now catching up with what most of the world had understood already.

And on that particular tone I best better wrap this up. Can't believe I actually wrote so much, but it is one of the issues closest to my heart – the manner in which the media abused Michael's good name and tortured his life for far too long. Whatever they can do to make up for that is long overdue and more than welcome.

^^^^goin' by the curls, I'd say that's from the making of Scream, but I could very well be wrong. What do I know?
I would also say that footage is from the making of Scream

that youtube link doesn't work for me hmmmmm

that youtube link doesn't work for me hmmmmm
The link below still works. I hope.:

[video]https://rutube.ru/video/89b2cb10a02784f3759fbfcfbbeed278/[/video]

It is an excellent documentary. I loved it!!!!
:8-25-03angel_not:

Last edited:
I have to admit, I wasn't going to watch this documentary (I'm not sure it's been shown on UK TV yet), because naturally I'm quite wary about the media, journalists, and Michael. But judging from all the positive comments on here, it seems to be quite good, so I shall be watching it later :)

Hope everybody watches. Have to say it wasn't at all what I expected. Just ignore Knopper's stuff.

I should go over to YouTube and comment. Barbara deserves some kudos for this one.

Thankkkk you Cherub.! Now shall I watch or risk it going away and wait to watch with my wife... ahhh

Thanks again

I watched the program too. BW was decent enough..... surprisingly.
The comments from TJ and Tito were of course heartfelt and sincere and its
obvious they are proud of MJ and his kids and most likely will always be.

Shout out to Mr. Berry Gordy! :D

Last edited:
However, the silly, little stories of the 80s were partially Michael's PR team doing, so I cannot completely blame the media for those.

I heard that several times that MJ somehow planted the oxygen chamber and elephant bones stories but what is actually the evidence
that that's what really happened?

How did MJ give the chamber photos to the National Enquire? Who went there and asked them here's a photo
please print that MJ sleeps in it to live for 150 years oh and don't forge to use the word bizarre.
When the editor of the NE talked about this he didn't name anyone.
He didn't tell when this supposedly happened. He didn't explain why would MJ need such BS story in a tabloid
of all places when he was already the most famous guy on the planet. What would be the point?

Taraborelli's explanation doesn't make sense either. That MJ believed he was so ordinary he couldn't live up to the hype
so he wanted to create a sci fi image. That whole thing is so out of context and why would a story about buying the bones
create a sci fi imagine anyway?

When MJ was asked about John Merrick during the Ebony interview he didn't seem like someone who planet any
story about his bones. He was simple moved by his story and visited his remains.

And most of all why on earth would tabloids do what MJ wanted? They were his worst enemies.
And how difficult would it have been to find out that no such chamber was ever delivered to Mj's home and he never tried to buy the bones?
One or two phone calls? Why didn't the editor bother to make those calls, I wonder. They had to know the stories
were bogus. Which means they are fully responsible for printing them. Blaming them on MJ many years later is fishy as ****.

It's probably the most fair documentary that the media has done on MJ since like, what, the '80s before Thriller?

I didn't like the enigma angle though. All you gotta do is listen to his songs to find out what he was about. "Childhood" is his most honest song and explains why he acts the way he did... making up for the time he would never get again.

Damn. I gotta admit. Me, as a man, cried when I just watched it. I miss him so much.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned how she claims Michael said he slept in the same bed as Gavin, which is a major inaccuracy imo.

Just watched it. Really good. The fairest mainstream coverage I think I've seen.

Even when referencing his skin colour, it wasn't 'Michael claimed' or 'it was alleged', she just said as fact that it was vitiligo.

Yeah it was overall good and well put together.. I personally would have picked more flattering pics of MJ through the doc. but that's just me being me.

I don't like Diane either.

Diane always has to interupt the people that shes interviewing AKA mj & lisa marie interview ( those of you who havent seen it yet go and watch it you will know what i mean by then) and im still pissed off that lisa went back to diane for another interview considering how pretty pissed off she was with diane the first time

Diane always has to interupt the people that shes interviewing AKA mj & lisa marie interview ( those of you who havent seen it yet go and watch it you will know what i mean by then) and im still pissed off that lisa went back to diane for another interview considering how pretty pissed off she was with diane the first time

And remember stupid Diane asking Lisa: Michael Jackson? Michael Jackson?! Why?? Like he was a monster or something

And remember stupid Diane asking Lisa: Michael Jackson? Michael Jackson?! Why?? Like he was a monster or something

I remember when she asked Lisa about the way Michael looked. And all Lisa said was "I know" or something along those lines.

Back