MJ Attorney John Branca receives Grammy Service Award- [Update-Pics] Pg 2

Other news stories. Parts related to Branca is bolded

At Lawyers’ Luncheon, a Chilly Reception for Spotify’s Chief
By BY BEN SISARIO

For the music industry’s movers and shakers, the parties and symposiums leading up to the Grammy Awards on Sunday night are opportunities for schmoozing, back-patting and a bit of business. But for a struggling, shrinking industry there can also be some tension, particularly when it comes to the role of technology.

Daniel Ek, the moon-faced co-founder of Spotify, is for the most part the toast of Grammytown this year, turning up at private cocktail parties and meetings with business dons. On Thursday, his company got a bit of priceless publicity when President Obama’s campaign staff released a Spotify playlist. And on Friday Mr. Ek was the keynote speaker at the Entertainment Law Initiative lunch, the annual gathering of the industry’s most powerful lawyers, presented by the Grammy Foundation at the Beverly Hills Hotel.

But a roomful of lawyers, many of whom represent artists worried about Spotify’s royalty structure — paying fractions of pennies every time a song is streamed, much less than what iTunes pays for one download — was not the most sympathetic audience. Josh Tyrangiel, the editor of Bloomberg Businessweek, who was interviewing Mr. Ek, alluded to this when he began his questioning: “I look forward to next year’s lunch, where the Crips meet the Bloods.”

Mr. Ek defended Spotify as a reliable generator of royalties and — his longtime pitch to the industry — a way to lure customers from the black market of illegal downloads. Spotify, like other subscription services, streams millions of songs to paying users, and also has a free version supported by advertising.

“I want to be a friendly alternative,” he said.

When introduced in the United States last July, Spotify had 1.6 million paying subscribers; by last month it was up to 3 million, and it continues to expand around the world. Mr. Ek said at the lunch that about 70 percent of Spotify’s revenue goes “back to the industry,” and that his company has paid $250 million in royalties since it opened in 2008. (At a press conference two months ago that figure was $150 million.)

Mr. Ek also made a bold prediction, saying that in two years subscription services will pay as much royalties as iTunes does. In 2010, downloads generated $2.2 billion in the United States, according to the Recording Industry Association of America, and the vast majority of that money comes from iTunes.

“What we’re proving now is that this model works,” he said.

The luncheon was held in honor of John Branca, the veteran music lawyer who is an executor of the estate of Michael Jackson. After joking that the shrinking of the music industry has made its lawyers the dinosaurs of the legal profession — “this ceremony has more to do with paleontology than jurisprudence,” he said — Mr. Branca reminisced about representing Jackson, the Beach Boys, Mick Jagger, Aerosmith and others, and he mounted a defense of the role of lawyers in the ever more corporatized world of the music industry.

“While we are experiencing blatant consolidation in the channels of distribution in the music business, where an artist’s manager, promoter, ticketing agency and merchandiser can be all under one corporate umbrella,” Mr. Branca said, alluding to Live Nation Entertainment, which owns Ticketmaster and manages hundreds of artists, “we lawyers remain an independent voice in the life of the artist to protect and where necessary defend that artist.”

He got a standing ovation.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ncheon-a-chilly-reception-for-spotifys-chief/

----------------------------------------------------

Spotify's Daniel Ek and the music 'dinosaurs'
February 10, 2012 | 3:35 pm

6a00d8341c630a53ef0163012802b7970d-600wi

Less than seven months after launching his digital music service in the U.S., Spotify's Daniel Ek found himself rubbing elbows with the upper echelon of the record industry executives who have descended on Los Angeles for this Sunday’s Grammy Awards.

The 28-year-old Swedish entrepreneur with a boyish face that still hints of baby fat on Friday afternoon addressed a ballroom full of power attorneys in Brooks Brothers and Armani suits — essentially schooling them on the brave new world of digital music.

Ek, pictured above on the right, boldly predicted that revenue from streaming services such as Spotify will in two years return as much revenue to the industry as iTunes does today. Since launching its service in 2008, the Stockholm-based company has remunerated more than $200 million, roughly 70% of its revenue, to labels and publishers.

“The value of music is not $15 billion,” an estimate of annual music sales, Ek told an audience of several hundred at the Grammy Foundation’s Entertainment Law Initiative luncheon as they dined on endive dressed in raspberry vinaigrette. “It’s worth much, much more than that.”

Spotify’s service has caught on worldwide with more than 10 million listeners who tune in at least once a month — 3 million of whom pay around $5 to $15 a month to access premium versions.

Though music labels have embraced Spotify's unusual approach — of offering a generous free version that gives users online access to millions of tracks on demand — the company continues to face skepticism from some bands and musicians who fear that streaming music services eat into album sales.

Bands such as Coldplay and the Black Keys, and performers like Mac Miller, have opted to withhold their new albums from streaming services such as Spotify — at least for the first few weeks after the albums’ releases. (This week some of former Beatle Paul McCartney's songs also became unavailable on Spotify, an apparent result of contractual requirements not related specifically to the streaming service.) Ek emphatically disagreed with those decisions.

“There is no cannibalization,” Ek said before a packed audience in the Crystal Ballroom of the Beverly Hills Hotel. “At the end of the day, I want the music industry to be larger than what it is today. And I believe that the two models [streaming and sales] can co-exist side by side."

As if to punctuate a contrast with Ek's youthful approach, John Branca, veteran counselor to the stars, followed him on stage with the following remark that drew chuckles from the crowd:

"It’s a popular belief that the music industry is over, that it’s seen better days. Some would say that we lawyers are the dinosaurs of the legal landscape, that paleontology is a better subject for us and that a better forum for this would be the La Brea Tar Pits."

As a prominent music attorney, Branca's clients have included the Beach Boys, the Doors, the Rolling Stones and Carlos Santana. He is also the executor of the Michael Jackson estate.

Branca summed up the challenge for the music industry, pointing out that many of music's greatest stars created their music "before the digital age."

"How do we present these great artists to a new generation of fans?" Branca said.

One could almost hear Ek replying, "Through Spotify."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ent...mmy-keynote-entertainment-law-initiative.html

Re: MJ ATTORNEY JOHN BRANCA TO RECEIVE GRAMMY SERVICE AWARD - February 10, 2012

Thanks Ivy .. Nice articles and Pics from BILLBOARD -

Awe John is so proud and happy for his award :)
Im so glad he got a standing ovation for his speech at the event

1628499-portnow-branca-weitzman.jpg

Neil Portnow, John Branca and Howard Weitzman of Kinsella Weitzman Iser Kump &
Aldisert pose with Branca's Service Award. (Photo: Michael Underwood/PictureGroup)

Re: MJ ATTORNEY JOHN BRANCA TO RECEIVE GRAMMY SERVICE AWARD - February 10, 2012 [Update-Pics] Pg 2

I am delighted the JB received this award and I'm also so happy that he got a standing ovation.

Re: MJ ATTORNEY JOHN BRANCA TO RECEIVE GRAMMY SERVICE AWARD - February 10, 2012 [Update-Pics] Pg 2

Branca truly deserves it, not only for his work with Michael, but his other impressive work too, representing an impressive 29 acts from the rock and roll hall of fame!

^You mean they literally stole? :busted:

John Branca, so happy for him and major congrats as well.

Those masks and the slogan used are those used by the Anonymous. It's just copy and paste. Like her hysterical claims have anything to do with their fight. SMH.

Those masks and the slogan used are those used by the Anonymous. It's just copy and paste. Like her hysterical claims have anything to do with their fight. SMH.

Doesn't surprise me really. I really wish someone would sue her already.

i think, with the exception of the "michael" album, all the work that branca and co have done for the estate has been great. it is true though that branca was fired by michael following the discovery that branca and motolla were sharing a bank account. That was after michael's will was written and it from what i understand it was aeg that rehired in 2009, not michael. I would like to have more clarity on this issue as i don't know how accurate the details are

Last edited:
Wow thats a protest. is that THREE ppl i see. nutjobs should crawl back under their pre june 09 rocks where if u would have said branca they would have gone who!?

That story seems like a mixture of the info from the trial in 05 and chinese whispers thrown in. back in 05 it was claimed branca had an off shore bank account for sony to be used to get the sony/atv off mj.the problem was if i remember right that info was put out there by weisner konitzer and co.those two were stealing money off mj and they started putting crap out about other ppl to cover their tracks. david legrande was brought in to investigate weisner and co so weisner started putting crap in mjs head that it was actually legrande stealing off him so mj fired legrande and weisner and co were free to carry on. legrande was told to investigate branca aswell cause of this supposed off shore bank account but no evidence was ever found. branca resigned cause of the leaches that were aroubd mj at that time then came back later on and left again.tajj is a family stan. she would have no isuue if branca was still executor if the family had been left everything

That story seems like a mixture of the info from the trial in 05 and chinese whispers thrown in. back in 05 it was claimed branca had an off shore bank account for sony to be used to get the sony/atv off mj.the problem was if i remember right that info was put out there by weisner konitzer and co.those two were stealing money off mj and they started putting crap out about other ppl to cover their tracks. david legrande was brought in to investigate weisner and co so weisner started putting crap in mjs head that it was actually legrande stealing off him so mj fired legrande and weisner and co were free to carry on. legrande was told to investigate branca aswell cause of this supposed off shore bank account but no evidence was ever found. branca resigned cause of the leaches that were aroubd mj at that time then came back later on and left again.tajj is a family stan. she would have no isuue if branca was still executor if the family had been left everything

Yes I think your probably right. I was going by the firing of Branca by MJ in early 03. That was when the offshore bank account was discovered by the Interfor investigation firm, hired by David LeGrand.

Edit: here is the letter. http://mjforeverlove.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/letter-mj-to-branca-your-fired.jpg

StellaJackson;3597591 said:
Care to elaborate why? I was asking for clarity as that is what I know from the info I've read so can you tell me why it's nonsense with some sources please? Thanks.

elusive moonwalker;3597596 said:

That alleged bank account was mentioned by Konitzer and Weisner - who according to Legrand wanted to control everything related to Michael and stole from him. Legrand also said that Shaffel said bad things about Branca as well. There was an offshore account however they found no connection to Branca. If my memory isn't failing me I think they said that Branca didn't have signatory power on that account - meaning he can't take money out of it.

Here's a summary from http://www.michaeljackson.com/us/node/845869

Wiesner’s plan was to bring in a new team to represent Michael. Part of that process involved terminating some of the representation of people that had been providing legal service to him.
LeGrand testified that Konitzer and Wiesner told him they wanted to take over overall management of Michael Jackson’s business and financial affairs, and implement a new business plan for Michael.
That’s when LeGrand became suspicious of the actions and motives of Wiesner and aides Ronald Konitzer (who had ties with Sony as became clear in the 2005 trial) and Marc Schaffel.
He also suspected the men of stealing $965.000 from Michael. On behalf of Michael he hired a firm to investigate these three men. The first investigative report that he got just increased his degree of suspicion.
In the meantime Konitzer and Schaffel had indicated in several conversations that they were suspicious about Branca and that Michael had expressed concern about Branca’s loyalty. They were concerned Branca was working with Tommy Motolla to get Michael’s interest in the ATV/Sony Catalogue and to defraud him. There were suspicions about Branca self-dealing and about an off-shore account owned by Branca and Motolla.
Even though LeGrand wasn’t sure about these accusations and was already suspicious about Konitzer, Schaffel and Wiesner, he decided to include Branca and Motolla in his investigation.
The investigation delivered no evidence whatsoever to substantiate the claims against Branca and Motolla. In fact it became clear that it was Konitzer who had ties with Sony and both he and Weisner were stealing money from MJ.
LeGrand was fired (just 2 months after he was hired) when he questioned Konitzer about the unexplained disbursement of nearly $1 million of Michael's money to Konitzer and Weisner.
LeGrand’s testimony in court: “Mr. Branca’s a fine lawyer. And, you know, there is no -- I have no proof of these statements.
I was given no credible evidence to support those charges. I would be doing Mr. Branca and Mr. Motolla a great wrong if I said otherwise.”

---

My take? You have Konitzer and Weisner saying to LeGrand they wanted to control everything and they just tried to get rid of Branca so that they can get the control. Konitzer and Weisner's credibility is questionable as they have been found out to steal from Michael. and what did they found against Branca? Nothing.

Yes I think your probably right. I was going by the firing of Branca by MJ in early 03. That was when the offshore bank account was discovered by the Interfor investigation firm, hired by David LeGrand.

He was rehired in 2003 after Legrand found nothing about him.There are letters and news stories of Branca working for Michael till 2006.

Thanks ivy. imo its pretty clear konitzer and weisner were getting rid of everyone around mj that had mjs intrests at heart. they wanted everyone gone so they could control mj and steal from him. and branca and legrande stood in their way. prince needs to know stuff like this because weisner will do it to him if he gets the chance.of course the jacksons either dont know or dont care cause weisner had prob offered them money but at the end of the day the fans are the only ppl bar a few others who can educate the kids on all the scum that was around mj and it breaks my heart that we may never get the chance. because the least we can do for mj is to try and protect his babies. because as we have seen theres very few others who will

And now Deiter gets to travel with Michael's son like nothing happened
This is very worrying cuz god knows what deiter is doing with prince & what plans he has up his sleeve. i wish the jackson family would be more cautious on who surronds the children

Great. I hope Branca received many good tweets to overshadow the couple of protestors outside.

Roger Friedman
, Contributor

<hgroup>Michael Jackson Asked Lawyer to Fix Pinball Machine
</hgroup>

Two Michael
Jackson
lawyers are in the news today. Most importantly, John Branca–the man who helped Michael buy the Beatles catalog and worked with him on and off for 30 years–was honored by the Entertainment
Law
Initiative today at their annual Beverly Hills Hotel luncheon. Branca took the few protesters outside the hotel in stride–they’re all the Jackson conspiracy characters. One of them wore a Guy Fawkes mask.

Branca told the audience–including Jackson estate lawyer Howard Weitzman and Jackson personal lawyer Joel Katz–some of the funnier anecdotes of working with the late great pop star. Early on, Jackson called him and said, “John, we have to talk about something very serious.” Branca grabbed a pen and pad to take notes. Jackson told him, “My pinball machine isn’t working.” Branca got the game fixed, and the two went on to not only buy the Beatles catalog but to get back the rights to Michael’s master recordings.

Meanwhile, in another part of the universe, it does seem thatBrian Oxman –who’s had a long history of disciplinary action with the California Bar Association– has been barred from practicing law anymore. According to a filing with the California State Bar Association, Oxman’s status changed on February 2, 2012. It now reads “not eligible to practice law” and “ordered inactive.” That nat be the end of Brian Oxman as a TV spokesman for the Jackson family and for Michael Jackson.

Branca, by the way, also talked about his long history with the Beach Boys and his role now in helping them reunite. And he wasn’t always on a legal path. His parents sent him to classes for “music, dance, and singing”– all of which he disliked intensely. As Jackson’s main co-executor, he’s done an amazing job of making money for Michael’s kids and estate.
Also on the bill at lunch: Bloomberg BusinessWeek editor Josh Tyrangiel and Spotify founder Daniel Ek. Ek told me it was no big deal that Paul McCartney‘s new album wasn’t offered on Spotify. “We’d never made a deal for it in the first place,” he told me.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerfr...-jackson-asked-lawyer-to-fix-pinball-machine/

"Early on, Jackson called him and said, &#8220;John, we have to talk about something very serious.&#8221; Branca grabbed a pen and pad to take notes. Jackson told him, &#8220;My pinball machine isn&#8217;t working.&#8221; "

This made me laugh out loud, Michael being his loveable self :wub:

Johm Branca honored at a SECOND Grammy Event

Benjy Grinberg, John Branca Honored at Primary Violator Grammy Brunch

February 12, 2012
By Kelley Carter, Los Angeles

1637069-Benjy-Grinberg-and-John-Branca-awards.jpg

John Branca (left) with Benjy Grinberg who were honored at the second annual Primary Violator's Manager Brunch (Phil McCarten/PictureGroup)

It wasn't just eggs, French toast, fruit and potent cocktails being served at the second annual Primary Violator Managers Brunch.

"This is where things get done," said Michael (Blue) Williams, a longtime music manager, who's client list include top names like Cee-lo Green. "I've been managing 20 years. There's a handful of us that know each other. But there are these other managers that &#8230; we don't know each other, we don't speak. In the management circle, we don't communicate as much as we should. We don't network. We're so busy trying to take care of our artists, that we're not growing ourselves. Here, we can sit down and break bread, smoke cigars and mingle. Maybe that can lead to a tour or something really happening. In fact, if you see a tour in the fall that don't seem like they make sense? It likely started here."

The Saturday morning event honored music industry icons Benjy Grinberg and John Branca.

"It's always great to receive an honor. But we're all passionate about what we do so it really comes from the work we do," Branca said. "I think there's a lot of heart in it."

Primary Wave CEO Larry Mestel said that it was easy to wheel and deal at Grammy week events like this one because there's less pressure.

"It' s a much more festive, collegial feel," he said. "What we're trying to do with our party is to bring managers and people in the business together because the business is tough. Pele really need to work together. That's what this is all about. We need to make introductions and have more collegial relationships with people."

1639859-David-Simone,-Winston-Simone-John-Branca.jpg

From left: David Simone, Partner of Primary Wave Music; Winston Simone, Partner of Primary Wave Music; John Branca. Photo: Phil McCarten/PictureGroup)

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indu...hn-branca-honored-at-primary-1006171352.story

A big congratulations and thank you to Mr. Branca.

And on a side note: I'm not an active participant on this forum (I do catch up on the latest every day though) but I used to be very active on the MJ.com forum. And I was happy to read that, two years later, my post on MJ.com still helps people to get to know the history with Branca lol.

Video from the award ceremony Branca talks around 5 minute mark

Thank you Ivy :) Great find. Its nice to be able to see and hear John speak and see what the event was like.

Back