MJ Bizniz news...let's keep it in this thread for months o come

aint suspicious minds on the mijac cat.? b4 sony/atv bought out leiber and stoller i think mj owned around 20 elvis songs on mijac

aint suspicious minds on the mijac cat.? b4 sony/atv bought out leiber and stoller i think mj owned around 20 elvis songs on mijac

Yes, I think that those are "gospel" songs.

I'd also like to mention that the song "Hallelujah" has taken on a life of it's own. LOL! It was performed on Good Morning America by Il Divo and it also appears on their new album.

Hmmm...

Maltby Capital Ltd

Annual Review
Year ended 31 March 2008
Pages 40-41

Market Share

...EMI Music Publishing’s share of the music publishing market has been about 20% for some years. Universal Music Publishing Group, boosted by its acquisition of BMG Music Publishing in 2007, has a slightly higher estimated 22.2% share, while Warner Chappell (14.8%) and Sony/ATV (7.4%) are in third and fourth place respectively...

http://www.emigroup.com/NR/rdonlyre...ltbyCapitalLimitedAnnualReviewStatements1.pdf

Recommended cash offer for EMI Group plc by Maltby Limited
May 2007

The board of directors of Maltby and Directors of EMI are pleased to announce the terms of a recommended cash offer for EMI at a price of 265 pence in cash for each EMI Share, valuing EMI on an enterprise value basis at approximately £3.2 billion.

http://www.emigroup.com/NR/rdonlyres/6A4C19CF-25A3-4A60-86E4-B59A4B2F9C31/1401/21May2007.pdf

Hmmm...

Maltby Capital Ltd
Annual Review
Year ended 31 March 2008
Pages 40-41

Market Share

...EMI Music Publishing’s share of the music publishing market has been about 20% for some years. Universal Music Publishing Group, boosted by its acquisition of BMG Music Publishing in 2007, has a slightly higher estimated 22.2% share, while Warner Chappell (14.8%) and Sony/ATV (7.4%) are in third and fourth place respectively...

http://www.emigroup.com/NR/rdonlyre...ltbyCapitalLimitedAnnualReviewStatements1.pdf

Recommended cash offer for EMI Group plc by Maltby Limited
May 2007

The board of directors of Maltby and Directors of EMI are pleased to announce the terms of a recommended cash offer for EMI at a price of 265 pence in cash for each EMI Share, valuing EMI on an enterprise value basis at approximately £3.2 billion.

http://www.emigroup.com/NR/rdonlyres/6A4C19CF-25A3-4A60-86E4-B59A4B2F9C31/1401/21May2007.pdf

yeah...i'm supposed to believe that Sonyatv is last, when everybody else is selling theirs...and every song i hear in a commercial is sonyatv...and they're busy badmouthing MJ's business practices while going bellyup and feeling the bad economy, as said out of their mouths.

i believe they've got it backwards. i'm sure sonyatv is first and they're last and admit out of their mouths, they're about to give theirs up and atv will be waiting. i think it doesn't take rocket science to see this. how can they be afraid and MJ be aggressive and they be in first place and MJ in last place? uh uh..i ain't that stupid. remember they were the ones that equated being in financial trouble with having to sell shares of a catalogue. i guess they think my memory is short cus i'm an MJ fan.

:unsure: :scratch: My take on this is, being # 1, based on market share, seems to be dependent on how many songs are owned, rather than the value of the company, which is based on the value of the songs.

I.E., you could own 3 million songs, but if they're not valuable songs, they're not worth as much.

:smilerolleyes: There is a big difference.

If MJ got Elvis' gospel songs, then they don't make as much profit as his pop-rock songs and his Sun Recordings since they were in control by Col. Tom Parker when he was alive and RCA Records.

:unsure: :scratch: My take on this is, being # 1, based on market share, seems to be dependent on how many songs are owned, rather than the value of the company, which is based on the value of the songs.

I.E., you could own 3 million songs, but if they're not valuable songs, they're not worth as much.

:smilerolleyes: There is a big difference.

yeah there is, but MJ owns enough songs for the spaghetti to stick. people love elvis, period. lol

yeah there is, but MJ owns enough songs for the spaghetti to stick. people love elvis, period. lol

:agree: Right, right :yes:

My question is does Sony/ATV earn more with less, proportionately, because of the value/popularity of the songs in their catalog :scratch:

EMI, for example, has over 3 million songs in their catalog.

A firm's market share is the proportion of the market which it serves, expressed in financial terms.

Just wondering...

:agree: Right, right :yes:

My question is does Sony/ATV earn more with less, proportionately, because of the value/popularity of the songs in their catalog :scratch:

EMI, for example, has over 3 million songs in their catalog.

A firm's market share is the proportion of the market which it serves, expressed in financial terms.

Just wondering...

understood. :) i guess it's a matter of who the market is..

i'm just sayin...i'm reminded of somn that MJ's dad said MJ did when he was little...somn about buying hi selling lo..somn that many don't tend to share agreement with..

i guess we see it as we see it..i'm cool with that. lol. just sayin that mj isn't sellin...EMI is sellin their catalogue....the question is..why? why are they selling any portion of it?

Last edited:
for those of you who didn't like what Beyonce said about the Jacksons.. don't worry Michael has got the last laugh...

Sony/ATV has 6 songs off I am Sasha F... including Single Ladies...

check it out
https://satv.sonydadc.com/sony_atv/...bum=&writer=&artist=beyonce&keyword=&category=

and while I am at it..... Madonna is also lining Michael's pockets if she sings the following songs during her tour...........(about 22 of them)

https://satv.sonydadc.com/sony_atv/...bum=&writer=&artist=madonna&keyword=&category=

:clapping::clapping::clapping::punk::punk::punk:

lol...good show. i was also wondering if some songs that Justin Timberlake sings are on the atv roster, since he is singing for Sony..

and..while we're at it...i was wondering if this song by the Association is on the atv roster. it's called 'Windy'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU8vOQNvd3c

i heard it on an oldies station.

and, by the way, i think just about everything that Beyonce sings is on the atv roster.

i start to wonder if everything i listen to is on the roster..i know a lot of soap operas i watch are Sony soaps...and Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are Sony tv gameshows...lol..i wonder if their themes belong to Michael. and if all the music on the soaps belongs to Michael.

Last edited:
I am more and more amazed with every post I read about Sony/ATV!!

Anyone know if ATV stands for anything?? :(

(no I don't mean All Terrain Vehicle) lol

Sony/ATV’s "Musical Notes" #32 - Leonard Cohen

resize_image.php

Sony/ATV’s "Musical Notes" #32
A fortnightly newsletter highlighting some of the many classic songs in the Sony/ATV Music Publishing catalog.

From Alan Warner, Creative Consultant

HALLELUJAH
The Songs Of LEONARD COHEN

Towards the end of 2008, a song which Leonard Cohen wrote and first recorded back in 1984 became a phenomenal hit in Britain.

Inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame earlier in 2008, Leonard Cohen is the Montreal-born poet and novelist who emerged as an iconic and enigmatic singer/songwriter in the 1960’s...

The recent wave of success of HALLELUJAH began earlier in 2008 when contestant Jason Castro sang it on the “American Idol” TV show. Released as a single, Jason’s version became a minor US hit and then Simon Cowell chose the song for Alexandra Burke, the winner of his UK talent show “The X Factor”. This prompted the re-issues of versions by Leonard himself and the late Jeff Buckley, the result being that all three recordings were on the UK charts at the same time!

HALLELUJAH
By Leonard Cohen (Columbia: 2008 re-release)*UK #36
By Bon Jovi (Island)
By Bono (A&M)
By Chris Botti (Columbia)
By Jeff Buckley (Columbia: 2008 re-release)*UK #2
By Alexandra Burke (Syco: 2008)*UK #1
By John Cale (Atlantic)
By Bob Dylan
By Il Divo (Syco/Columbia)
By k.d. lang (Nonesuch)
By Willie Nelson (Lost Highway)
By Rufus Wainwright (Tommy Boy)

HUM HALLELUJAH (Cohen/Wentz/Stump/Trohman/Hurley)
Features a sample of “Hallelujah”. By Fall Out Boy (Island)

*The UK chart positions of HALLELUJAH were as of 12/21/08

http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/439

Sony/ATV’s "Musical Notes" #31 - Ultimate TV Themes

resize_image.php

Sony/ATV’s “Musical Notes” #31
A fortnightly newsletter highlighting some of the many classic songs in the Sony/ATV Music Publishing catalog.
From Alan Warner, Creative Consultant

Sony/ATV’s ULTIMATE TV THEMES Volume One
From “Cheers” to “Star Trek”

http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/438

I am more and more amazed with every post I read about Sony/ATV!!

Anyone know if ATV stands for anything?? :(

(no I don't mean All Terrain Vehicle) lol

ATV Music was once the publishing arm of Lord Lew Grade's UK media empire, Associated Television (ATV).

Publishers Say Lyrics Are A Growing Cash Cow
January 20, 2009 - Publishing

By Ed Christman, Cannes

One of the more pleasant finds in these painful times was discovering the value of lyrics as a cashflow generator, panelists at MIDEM revealed Tuesday.

In a panel on maximizing license and business opportunities for lyrics, EMI Music Pubishing executive VP of media and business development Jonathan Channon said that for years the industry has been putting lyrics on album covers for free and maybe getting a small fee when fanzines published lyrics.

But a few years ago many discovered a value that was sitting under their nose: the lyrics right. “And it doesn’t even need the master rights,” Channon added.

Since putting lyrics onto mugs, clothing, toys, greeting cards and other merchandise, EMI has had to grow into becoming a manufacturer and distributor, Channon said. But its definetely a volume business as EMI said 3 million units of one lyric-licensed merchandise piece for a department store chain in Australia realized about 30,000 pounds profit.

Meanwhile, ICMP president and Sony/ATV Music Publishing France president Nicolas Galibert says the music publishers trade group is undertaking an ambitious gambit to build a complete French lyric database for a business-to-business web site that would facilitate lyric licensing in the online world...

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3ife1903a36d09a1d8e41a0611e9cd5ebf

logo%20for%20sftw%203_2.JPG

SOMETHING FOR THE WEEKEND? -
Sony-ergy

This week we're celebrating "Sony United" - a synergy of Sony Music and Sony ATV Music Publishing... or "Sony-ergy" as we like to call it (see what we did there?). So here is a carefully hand-picked selection of some of the best bits from both Sony Music and Sony ATV. Yes that's right, artists, writers and songs that are signed to both Sony Music and Sony ATV.... isn't it lovely when everyone in the family gets along?

andy%20williams%202.JPG

Andy Williams - "Born Free"

This famous track written by John Barry and Don Black for the feature film Born Free nearly didn't make the final cut. The film was about lions and the producers wanted the track to reflect the subject matter. Luckily Don Black managed to convince them that the lyric should have a universal theme. "Born Free" not only won the Academy Award for Best Original song in 1966 but was the first British song ever to win Best Oscar Song. "Born Free" was also a hit for Matt Monro, Vic Reeves, Roger Williams and Frank Sinatra.

red-light-company.jpg

Red Light Company - "Arts And Crafts"

2009 looks set to be a really good year for Red Light Company. RLC formed in 2007 after band members Richard and Shawn met over the internet and since then they've been hotly tipped for 2009, appearing on NMEs Hottest New Bands list, HMVs Top Ten Tips list and Edith Bowman's Top Tips in The London Paper. Fine Fascination is their debut album - due for release on March 2nd. The next single due for release on the same day is Arts And Crafts which has already been voted Zane Lowe's Hottest Record In The World on Radio One.

sade_2%281%29.jpg

Sade - "No Ordinary Love"

Released in 1992, No Ordinary Love was the lead track from Sade's fourth album Love Deluxe. The Song won a Grammy for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal in 1994.

Christina-Aguilera-nc05.jpg

Christina Aguilera -
"Beautiful"

This Linda Perry penned and produced track appeared on Aguilera's second studio album, Stripped. The track earned Aguilera a Grammy for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance in 2004 and topped the charts in the US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Romania, and Turkey.

BTO.JPG

Bachman Turner Overdive -
"You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet"

"You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" was written by Randy Bachman and released on Bachman Turner Overdrive's third album Not Fragile in 1974. The track reached the top of the Hot 100. The famous stutter featured in the chorus was not intended to be invluded on the album. Randy Bachman recorded it to poke friendly fun at this brother Gary who had a speech impediment, however the record company preferred this version to the non-stuttering one and b-b-b-baby aren't we glad.

hoosiers.jpg

The Hoosiers -
"Goodby Mr. A"

The Hoosiers sound was described by NME as 'vibrant indie pop'; their most popular hits have a mixture of feel-good melodies and lively choruses. The band has enjoyed significant chart success with a number of top ten singles and a number one album with The Trick To Life. Goodbye Mr A reached number 4 in the single charts and was accompanied by a superhero- themed music video, in which the band kidnapped Mr A himself.

069_3727%7EElvis-Presley-Posters.jpg

Elvis Presley -
"Suspicious Minds"

"Suspicious Minds" was Elvis' eighteenth and last number-one single in the United States. The track was written by Mark Jones (aka Francis Zambon) who first released his own version of the track. When Elvis heard the track he loved it and insisted he could make it a hit. The song joined the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999.

will%20young%282%29.jpg

Will Young
- "Grace"
Will Young rose to fame after winning Pop Idol in 2002. Since then he has gone on to record four albums, releasing numerous hit singles and even starred in a film adaptation of Mrs Henderson Presents. His latest single Grace was chosen as the soundtrack for the current Natwest TV campaign.

bob%20dylan.jpg

Bob Dylan -
"It Ain't Me Babe"

Released on Dylan's 1964 album, Another Side Of Bob Dylan, "It Ain't Me Babe" tells the story of a man who warns a woman that he is not the one she is looking for. "You say you're looking for someone who'll promise never to part, someone to close his eyes for you, someone to close his heart, someone who'll die for you and more, but it ain't me babe."

livingcolour.jpg

Living Colour
- "Cult Of Personality"

Living Colour formed in New York in 1983. They're musical style fused heavy metal, funk, free jazz, punk and hip hop. Cult Of Personality won them a Grammy in 1989 for Best Hard Rock Performance. The track features in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on the Radio X channel in the computer game. The song's guitar riff is one that most guitar heroes would be proud of (in fact the song featured in Guitar Hero itself, so look out for it and you can shred along to it too).

63983%7ENeil-Diamond-Posters22.JPG

Neil Diamond -
"I'm A Believer"

Topping the charts in 1966 is this Diamond penned and recorded classic. This single went gold within two days of release and became the best selling record of 1967. "I'm A Believer" later also became a hit for The Monkees, Robert Wyatt and Smash Mouth.

whitepinktc2.JPG

PINK
- "Party Started"

Party Started is one of PINK's best known songs and was penned by former 4 Non Blondes front woman Linda Perry. The song was a worldwide hit and reached high in the charts in many countries. The song's style is a departure from Perry's usual into more of a 'dance' sound and came about by her experimenting at home with drum machines and various instruments. Party Started was covered by Shirley Bassey in the 2006 M&S Christmas campaign - a fantastic version it was too and a fitting testament to a great pop record.

blog4-oasis.jpg

Oasis -
"Don't Look Back In Anger"

"Don't Look Back In Anger" was released as the fourth single from Oasis' sophomore album, (What's The Story) Morning Glory? It was the band's second single to top the UK charts and was the first Oasis single to feature Noel Gallagher on lead vocals. With John Lennon inspired lines like "gonna start a revolution from my bed, cuz you said the brains I had went to my head", it's no suprise these boys have had such monumental success.

1%20repub222.JPG

Timbaland Featuring One Republic
- "Apologize"

Timbaland is one of rap music's biggest producers and stars whose uncanny knack for hit -making has won him worldwide acclaim. Timbaland has worked with some of the industry's biggest names, including Missy Elliott, Jaz-Z, Snoop Dogg and Justin Timberlake. His sound is instantly recognisable with its bass heavy beats and 'outlandish production'. He moved into production for a vast array of artists, including MIA, Bjork, and The Fray. His Midas touch can be heard on
OneRepublic's Apologize which enjoyed huge success around the world.

Carly1.jpg

Carly Simon -
"Coming Around Again"

The hauntingly beautiful "Coming Around Again" was written specifically for the film Heartburn, which starred Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep. This romantic ballad also appeared on Simon's 13th studio album, also entited Coming Around Again (released 1987). This platinum selling album is widely regarded to be her most autobiographical and helped earn Simon Pop nomination.

cyndi_lauper_list_view.jpg

Cyndi Lauper
- "True Colours"

True Colours is the title song from Cyndi Lauper's 1986 hit album of the same name and helped establish her as a wordlwide success. The song has been covered many times by artists that include Phil Collins, Kasey Chambers and most recently Sony ATV's very own Ane Brun. Ane Brun's beautiful version featured on a recent Sky HD television campaign.

blondie.jpg

Blondie
- "Maria"

Maria was Blondie's comeback single in 1999 and their first in about seven years. It was also their first UK number 1 since The Tide Is High, which hit the top spot in November 1980. The song was written by Jimmy Destri who also wrote some of Blondie's earlier hits. Blondie have sold over 60 million records and in 2006 were inducted into Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame.

To access the playlist simply click here or at the top of the page. If you experience problems opening the link, copy and paste the link below into your browser:

https://satv.sonydadc.com:443/sony_atv/cgi-bin/ratePlaylistForward?playlistMessageId=XEe%2Fdi2aZW4%3D

Please give us your feedback on our choices, on the music, tell us if you want to hear more.

Karina Masters
Head of Synch/Marketing
T: (+44) 203 206 2546
karina.masters@sonyatv.com

Chris Graves
Synch/Marketing Manager
T: (+44) 203 206 2547
chris.graves@sonyatv.com

James Cooper
Synch/Marketing Creative Manager
T: (+44) 203 206 2593
james.cooper@sonyatv.com

Camelia Hemeida
Synch/Marketing Coordinator - TV/International
T: (+44) 203 206 2549
camelia.hemeida@sonyatv.com

Lindsay Nieman
Synch/Marketing Coordinator - Film/Computer Games
T: (+44) 203 206 2548
lindsay.nieman@sonyatv.com

http://www.sonyatv.com/writers/standalone_news_story.php?id=131

Help! Will Beatles' Tunes Ever Make it Online?

By BY MICHAEL VENTRE
Updated 5:15 AM EST, Mon, Feb 2, 2009