MJ Bizniz news...let's keep it in this thread for months o come

MsMo;3037641 said:
Sony Music Revenues Drop 11%
October 29, 2010

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE>By Glenn Peoples

Sony Music's revenue dropped nearly 11% in Sony's fiscal second quarter ended September 30, 2010, showing just how much Michael Jackson contributed to the company's 2009 performance. Revenue was $1.33 billion and operating income was $98 million.

In the last two years Sony Music's revenue has dropped about 12.7% even though revenue sank 11% in just the last 12 months. To gauge Sony's performance outside of the extraordinary sales after Jackson's death in June 2009, it's best to compare Sony Music's most recent quarter to the same period in 2008. In that year, Sony BMG's fiscal second quarter revenue was $1.52 billion and Sony's half was $762 million. (Sony completed its acquisition of BMG Music in October 2008, after the end of Sony's fiscal second quarter of 2008.)

The yen's appreciation against the U.S. dollar explained nearly half of the drop in most recent quarter. On a local currency basis, Sony Music's revenue dropped 6% compared to the same period in 2009.

In the first six months of Sony's current fiscal year, revenue is down 5.2% and operating income is up 11.4%.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3if5ddbe1f0bbd42ecc217a4dd3d18e3aa

by Peter Kafka

Michael Jackson was such a huge star that he was able to stop the music industry’s perpetual slide: In the aftermath of his death last year, sales perked up at Sony’s music arm, which puts out the singer’s catalog.

But there’s no star big enough to permanently stop gravity. Now that Jackson sales have come back to earth, Sony reports that last quarter’s sales dropped another 10.8 percent, or a mere 6 percent if you strip out the effect of currency fluctuations. Operating income dropped 6.1 percent.

Sony plans to release more Jackson this year, so perhaps it can wring out another bump.

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20101029/michael-jackson-cant-help-sony-music-any-more/

MsMo;3043592 said:
Zipbox Media Signs Deal With Stetson, SONY/ATV

Stetson’s Look Book Projects Feature New Artists and Songs From Sony Catalog

Nashville, Tenn. (Vocus) November 2, 2010
ZIPBOX Media, a leading innovator of digital media distribution, has signed an agreement with Stetson and Sony/ATV to provide its technology services for Stetson’s fall 2010 Look Book projects.

ZIPBOX designed http://www.stetsonlooks.com, which features interviews and music videos by the artists Erin McCarley and The PawnShop kings, a free download of the artists’ featured songs, and a secure store for viewers to purchase Stetson apparel and accessories worn by the artists in their videos.

“We chose to use ZIPBOX because of their combination of music industry experience and technical know-how,” said Aaron Mercer, senior director of licensing and marketing, Sony/ATV Music Publishing. “From the original nugget of our idea, through development of the website and execution of the program, they made the process extremely easy for us and our client.”

The Look Books are available through http://www.stetsonlooks.com, http://www.stetson.com and Stetson’s Facebook page. McCarley features a rendition of Hank Williams’ “I Saw the Light,” and The PawnShop kings cover The Beatles’ “Revolution.” Using the ZIPBOX Media digital distribution platform, visitors to the Stetson Looks site are able to download both songs free, and purchase the Stetson pieces worn by the artists in the videos through a secure online store.

About ZIPBOX Media: ZIPBOX Media is a Web-based media distribution and management vehicle that enables individuals and companies to display, sell and distribute their digital media easily and inexpensively without the need for third-party support or applications. Designed for both novice and advanced users, ZIPBOX includes a customizable website, digital media catalog, secure shopping cart and secure file downloader, as well as accounting and sales reports, marketing components, and integrated e-mail. Visit http://www.ZIPBOXMedia.com for more information.

About Stetson: From its founding by John B. Stetson in 1865 to this day, Stetson has remained true to its heritage and to the timeless standards it represents. Stetson hats continue to encapsulate the finest values, eloquently expressing them in styles ranging from authentic Western wear to sturdy actionwear, to contemporary streetwear for men and women.

About Sony/ATV Music Publishing: Sony/ATV Music Publishing was established in 1995 as a joint venture between Sony and trusts formed by Michael Jackson. Sony/ATV Music Publishing owns or administers more than 750,000 copyrights by such artists as The Beatles, Beck, Brooks & Dunn, Leonard Cohen, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, Fall Out Boy, Lady Gaga, John Mayer, Joni Mitchell, Graham Nash, Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Linda Perry, Richie Sambora, Kraftwerk, Shakira, Taylor Swift, Wyclef Jean, Hank Williams, KT Tunstall, and Diane Warren, among many others.

# # #

http://www.prweb.com/releases/sellyourmusiconline/sellyoursongsonine/prweb4715934.htm

billboard's trying to put a negative spin on a drop in revenue. it's not exactly a drop to the poorhouse. and it's far from abnormal and it means no slide in it's share of the record industry. if anything, Sony was the biggest distributor and moneymaker...increased in 2009 cus of MJ, and then descended back to being the biggest distributor and seller, at it's previous yers level, and, as the next post describes..more acts signed, more money made.

Moonwalker.Fan vbmenu_register("postmenu_2968759", true);
member.gif

legacymember.gif

red_left.png
red.png
red_right.png
Activity: 4%

green_left.png
green.png
green_right.png
Slovak Republic.GIF

My Mood:
Worried.gif

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif
Re: MJ Bizniz news...let's keep it in this thread for months o come

For more info about Sony/ATV:
lesliemjhu@gmail.com

Quote:
- Sony/ATV and MiJac deal renewal means according to my information: MJ-ATV Publishing Trust (MJ 50% share in Sony/ATV Music Publishing) is under New Horizont Trust II. until December 10, 2012. MJ Publishing Trust (MiJac catalouge mostly) in uder New Horizon Trust III. until the same time. MJ set up these new trusts to get more money against his publishing assets. NHT II's debts are handled by Wells Fargo Bank, NHT III's debts by HSBC Bank and Plainfield Gaming II. Inc. The Estate already refinanced NHT III's debts (MiJac) as it's been reported in the media. These debts might be paid out around late next year, but no later then the end of 2012. What I knew about the refinancing of NHT II's debts (Sony/ATV) was that no later then September 27, 2010 the Estate has to pay off charlie Branca, because of he sold his share in the company. As I can remember it was like $20 million. This summer Estate sources confirmed in the media, that they are in negoitations about getting better terms for a possible renewal of the deal later this year. This all means that the Estate is paying back money on other dates and other installations.

- MiJac public performance agreement renewal: I read in a court paper that last November the Estate sat down with all the companies responsible for collecting MJ's public performance royalties and inked a better deal for the Estate. That included BMI (as for MJ's solo songs) and Warner (as for the MiJac catalouge) amongst others.

- The Estate paying off debts: As to my best knowledge, neither MJ or his Estate used the publishing assets against any loan we didn't knew about. That's what official papers says as well. The amount used to be said between $270-$320 million. According to an Estate leaked information this Summer, the MiJac loan will be repaid no later than the end of 2011. That means $70 million off. We have no official information on the Sony/ATV loan. What we know is that according to an agreement made in December, 2005 MJ agreed to repay the loans from the catalouge's yearly incomes. Back then it meant like $40 million annually. What we know for sure, that MJ relied on different people in the last 4 years of his life in financial matters. There is no way that he would live off $40 million every year while being the guest of the Bower, Oman royal families, living with a family in New Jersey and lately using the money from the AEG deal. According to some information the Sony/ATV incomes were splitted between him and the banks like $10 and $30 millions. If this is true, then since 2005 MJ and his Estate had to pay off like $120 million of the debts, leaving like $80 million unpaid. But. In 2007 Sony/ATV bought the Famous Music catalouge for $400 million. According to sources, the original 1995 Sony-MJ agreement said that MJ has to pay half of the cost of any such purchases. This is why MJ's Sony/ATV debt might be still around $280 million.

as far as the bolded, of their statement, is concerned, Solomon was extremely rich, and people still sent him expensive gifts, just because they really liked him, and we know what they say about the rich getting richer..and, rich people tend to like to be seen around other high profile and rich people, and perhaps invite them to live with them for a while to enhance the hosts' image. so..anything's possible..

and, on the subject of MJ's finances.. indeed, their estimates, are estimates...

which means they could be overstated..

maybe not..but then again..maybe so..lol

Last edited:
Note: Several of the movers besides Michael are on the Sony/ATV Roster

Chart Moves: Taylor Swift, Michael Jackson, Rihanna, Kanye West

November 04, 2010 - Retail

By Keith Caulfield and Silvio Pietroluongo

A look at some of the most notable movers and shakers on this week's Billboard 200 albums and Hot 100 singles charts.

The Billboard 200

-- Taylor Swift: You may have heard something about how the pop/country diva swept in at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 this week, selling 1,047,000 copies of her "Speak Now" album, according to Nielsen SoundScan. As previously reported, it marked the biggest sales week for an album since 2005. Amazingly enough, "Speak Now" sold more than Nos. 2-62 combined on the chart this week and accounted for one out of every six albums sold in the United States last week.

-- Bo Burnham: After notching his first top 40 album last week with the debut of "Words Words Words" at No. 40, the young comedian tumbles hard in week number two, falling 121 slots to No. 161 (the largest fall on the list). It's not uncommon for comedy albums like this one -- where they are derived from Comedy Central stand-up specials -- to fall apart quickly. After selling 10,000 last week, it drops to 3,000 (down 70%).

-- The Beatles: Their reissued so-called red and blue best-of albums ("1962-1966" and "1967-1970") collapse in their sophomore week back on the chart. After debuting at No. 29 and No. 32 last week, they descend to No. 86 and No. 114, respectively. There's a little something for every Beatles music fan this holiday shopping season now. Between the entry-level "1" set (20 tracks), these more expansive double albums and last year's massive studio album reissue series.

-- Michael Jackson: Three out of the four largest positional jumps on the list this week come from Halloween-appropriate albums, led by the King of Pop's "Thriller." It leaps 104 spots to No. 92 with 5,000 (up 82%). "Spooky Sounds," credited to John St. John, has the list's second-biggest leap, up 94 rungs to No. 79.

-- Michael Buble: It would seem that everyone steered clear of Swift's "Speak Now" freight train last week, as few superstar releases dropped aside from her album. The second-highest debut on the Billboard 200 is Michael Buble's "Hollywood" EP, which takes a bow at No. 10 with 26,000. The EP was also available as part of his deluxe reissue of "Crazy Love," which spikes up 88 slots to No. 27 with 16,000 (up 302%), the third biggest jump on the chart.

The Billboard Hot 100:

-- Ke$ha: As mentioned earlier this week, Ke$ha debuts at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with "We R Who W R," lifted by first-week download sales of 288,000, according to Nielsen SoundScan. It's her fifth consecutive top 10 (sixth if you count her featured role on 3OH!3's "My First Kiss"). The track is the preview single from her forthcoming "Cannibal" album, set to be released on its own Nov. 22, in addition to being packaged with her debut album, "Animal," in a deluxe edition titled "Animal Cannibal."

-- Taylor Swift: In addition to her impressive start at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 with "Speak Now," Swift debuts 10 tracks from that album onto the Hot 100, led by "Sparks Fly" at No. 17. With her "Mine" falling 13-21, the singer has a total of 11 titles on the list, the most ever by a female artist. Only the Beatles (one week with 14 and two weeks with 12 in April 1964) have placed more songs simultaneously. David Cook also tallied 11 titles (all debuts) on the June 7, 2008, chart, following his "American Idol" coronation.

Counting "Speak Now's" three charting early-release digital singles ("Speak Now," "Back to December" and "Mean"), every track from the 14-song standard edition of "Speak Now" has appeared on the Hot 100.

Meanwhile, "Mean," which debuted at No. 11 last week with 163,000 downloads, falls off the chart, a victim of iTunes' Complete My Album scheme. The early-release singles from "Speak Now" are counted as returns when consumers opt to upgrade to a full album purchase. So it's normal to see such songs drop like a rock during the album's release week, as customers exchange their tracks for an album.

-- Willow Smith: The recently turned 10-year-old just misses the top 10 as "Whip My Hair" snaps 78-11, shifting 137,000 downloads. The sum brings the song onto Hot Digital Songs at No. 4.

-- Kanye West: His "Monster," featuring Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Bon Iver & Nicki Minaj, entered the Hot 100 and Hot Digital Songs last week from sales accrued in a single day. Now with a proper full-week haul, the song rockets 79-18 on the Hot 100 and 69-10 on Digital Songs with the top gain, up 78,000 units to 97,000.

-- Rihanna: The singer's "What's My Name" (featuring Drake) jumps 83-60 with Airplay Gainer honors. Without a digital single contributing to its ranking, the single becomes the lowest-ranked Airplay Gainer winner since Aug. 30, 2008, when T.I.'s "Whatever You Like" took home the prize at No. 71 -- a week prior to its digital release. On the following chart, T.I.'s track soared 71-1. Rihanna should make her own top 10 leap next week as her single hit digital retailers on Nov. 2.

-- "Glee" Cast: The act's 89th chart entry, "Time Warp," appropriately debuts at No. 89. It is the only debut from the "Rocky Horror" episode to chart. It's only the fourth week that the troupe has placed a single entry onto the chart, compared to 22 earlier multiple-debut weeks.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3if13877e698a1cce251044f49c587ef1c

Taylor Swift, Sony/ATV Among Big Winners At BMI Country Awards
November 09, 2010 - Publishing | Country

<table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"></table>By Billboard staff

Taylor Swift became the youngest person ever to win the BMI country songwriter of the year crown and Sony/ATV Music Publishing Nashville earned its ninth consecutive BMI country publisher of the year title on Tuesday night at the 58th annual BMI Country Awards.

“You Belong With Me” also earned Swift her third consecutive BMI country song of the year win, making her the only songwriter ever to win the award three years in a row. The song is published by Sony/ATV Tree, Taylor Swift Music, Orbison Music and Wagnerville Music, and was co-written with frequent collaborator Liz Rose.

Billy Sherrill was named a BMI Icon. Sherrill has received more BMI country awards than any other songwriter in history and was named BMI country songwriter of the 20th century in 1999. As a BMI Icon, he joins a list of past honorees that includes Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Brian Wilson, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn and James Brown.

An all-star tribute paid homage to Sherrill. Ronnie Dunn performed “The Most Beautiful Girl,” Martina McBride delivered “ ’Til I Can Make It on My Own,” Faith Hill contributed “Stand by Your Man,” and George Strait offered “My Elusive Dreams.”

The BMI country awards honor songwriters and publishers behind country’s most-performed songs of the past year. The ceremony was held in the company’s Music Row offices. BMI president/CEO Del Bryant hosted the gala with Jody Williams, VP of writer/publisher relations, Nashville.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3ia5b5121032e4be88aab7619c32a09a76

BMI Country Awards 2010 honorees

Sony/ATV Music Publishing won its ninth consecutive BMI country publisher of the year award, in recognition of hit titles including “You Belong With Me,” “Fifteen,” “I Run To You” and “People Are Crazy.”

Songwriter Of The Year
Taylor Swift
“Best Days Of Your Life”
“Fifteen”
“White Horse”
“You Belong With Me”

Publisher Of The Year
Sony/ATV Music Publishing Nashville
(Sony/ATV Acuff Rose, Sony ATV Songs LLC And Sony/ATV Tree)
“All I Ask For Anymore”
“American Ride”
“Best Days Of Your Life”
“Fifteen”
“I Run To You”
“I’m Alive”
“Living For The Night”
“Love Your Love The Most”
“Only You Can Love Me This Way”
“People Are Crazy”
“Sideways”
“Southern Voice”
“White Horse”
“White Liar”
“Why Don’t We Just Dance”
“You Belong With Me”

Song Of The Year
“You Belong With Me”
Liz Rose
Taylor Swift
Sony/ATV Tree
Taylor Swift Music
Wagnerville Music

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/...billy-sherrill-honored-at-bmi-country-awards/

Beatles finally for sale on iTunes store

By Andrew Edgecliffe-Johnson in New York
Published: November 15 2010 22:48 | Last updated: November 15 2010 22:48

The Beatles look set to make their music available for the first time on Apple’s industry-leading iTunes digital entertainment store, the company behind the iPod and iPhone is expected to announce on Tuesday, signalling an end to the company’s disputes with the best-selling band.

Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and the widows of John Lennon and George Harrison have been the most prominent hold-outs against music’s digital age, which has seen the value of recordings collapse from their peak in the compact disc era.

The band, which also resisted putting its music on compact disc for several years until 1987, is expected to see some boost to sales one of the world’s most enduring catalogues.

Music industry members doubt that an iTunes launch alone would have the impact of past physical re-releases of its music, but an agreement between Apple and the Beatles could open the way to premium-packaged products such as Beatles-branded devices loaded with the band’s music.

The copyrights to the Beatles’ earliest recordings will start expiring from the end of 2012, 50 years after ‘Love Me Do’ was released. Past initiatives to squeeze more value out of the catalogue before that deadline have sold tens of millions of Beatles CDs, which can be transferred to computers, iPods, iPhones and other digital music devices.

An iTunes launch would be welcome news to EMI, which holds the rights to Beatles recordings, and to its indebted private equity owner, Guy Hands’ Terra Firma group, which remains deadlocked with Citigroup over the future of the music company after a failed court battle against its bank.

EMI’s owner said in August that it had sold more than 13m remastered Beatles albums since it released all 13 of the band’s mono and stereo UK albums in September 2009, making the band its best-selling act for the last financial year and driving its recorded music revenues up 6.5 per cent in a falling market.

An iTunes deal would also boost Sony ATV, the music publishing joint venture between Sony, the Japanese electronic group, and the estate of Michael Jackson, which owns the publishing rights to and manages the lyrics and music of 251 Beatles songs.

Sony ATV has encouraged the surviving Beatles, Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison to permit the catalogue to be used on the American Idol television talent show, a Rock Band video game, a Cirque du Soleil show and a Broadway tribute musical.

Expectations of a music-related announcement from Apple’s digital store were stirred by a teasing notice on its website, which read: “Tomorrow is just another day that you’ll never forget. Check back here tomorrow for an exciting announcement from iTunes.”

Speculation that Apple could announce a much-anticipated streaming service, giving users access to an unlimited selection of tracks for a fee rather than paying for individual downloads, was dismissed by industry members, who said large record labels had yet to agree the terms of licences that Apple would need for such a service.

Apple Corps, the Beatles’ record label, waged a drawn-out trademark battle with Apple, arguing that the computer maker had agreed in 1991 not to use the Apple brand in connection with music content. The iTunes store opened more than seven years ago.

Ms Ono told Reuters this summer that Steve Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, was “a brilliant guy [but] there’s just an element that we’re not very happy about, as people. We are holding out.”

EMI, Apple and Sony ATV declined to comment.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3bdf08e2-f0f5-11df-bf4b-00144feab49a.html?ftcamp=rss#axzz15PvIt9lO

http://lesliemjhu.blogspot.com/2010/11/tidbits.html

MJJ Ventures Inc. has been suspended. This move is most probably in connection with the new video release, and the clearing of MJ video copyrights.

The MJ Estate took over the Fire Mountain Services company that MJ and Marc Schaffel established in 2001. Another smart move in the "house cleaning".

A new official website has been created for the MJ themed Cirque de Soleil shows: http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/michael-jackson-tour/default.aspx

The thing about Bees (and other 750K songs of Sony/ATV) is that Michael=Sony/ATV=MJ Estate will make tens of millions dollars... without MJs solo profits...

Monetizing the Celebrity Meltdown
Tom Barrack, a billionaire investor who made his fortune in real estate, has discovered a market in distressed celebrities. With Neverland Ranch and Miramax under his belt, he&#8217;s now on a shopping spree&#8212;and bringing along his buddy Rob Lowe.

By Benjamin Wallace Published Nov 28, 2010

(Photo: Ramona Rosales)
You&#8217;ll see why Michael called this place Neverland,&#8221; says Tom Barrack, the newest owner of Michael Jackson&#8217;s Neverland Valley Ranch. Barrack is a 63-year-old billionaire with a gleaming shaved head, summer-in-Sardinia tan, personally trained muscles, and sockless tasseled loafers. He is sitting on the lawn beside the Tudor-style, panic-room-equipped main house, near a gnarled oak tree with steps winding up to the perch where Jackson wrote Bad.

This, the manicured park with the giant floral clock and movie theater featuring isolation boxes for immunocompromised children&#8212;default B-roll for all TV coverage of Jackson&#8212;comprises just 32 acres. It scarcely hints at the grandeur of the full property, which is nearly ten times that size, with 67,000 oaks and sycamores, the odd rattlesnake and mountain lion, and a former Chumash Indian worship site overlooking a savannah-like plain. &#8220;You&#8217;ll feel something, which I think was what drove him,&#8221; Barrack says of the Chumash site. &#8220;And I don&#8217;t mean that&#8212;I&#8217;m not coming from outer space&#8212;but you will actually feel it, I promise.&#8221;

When Barrack&#8217;s private-equity firm, Colony Capital, took over Neverland in November 2008, averting foreclosure, even the groomed portion was going to seed. Jackson, self-exiled after his child-molestation acquittal to places like Bahrain and Las Vegas, hadn&#8217;t been home since early 2005. His 275 employees had dwindled to four. The amusement-park rides and steam train&#8212;operable only by California&#8217;s single licensed steam-train engineer&#8212;had been sold off to raise money. The petting zoo&#8217;s animals had been removed by animal-rescue groups; the snakes from the reptile barn were, um, released into the wild.

Since then, Barrack&#8217;s team has worked steadily to rehabilitate the estate, refinishing the wood floors, relandscaping acres of grass, introducing more swans into the lakes, and repositioning Jackson&#8217;s statue of a long-gun-brandishing pirate to scare off coyotes. In the dance studio, a solitary bulb lights a spot worn down by Jackson&#8217;s spinning. The elephant barn now houses a labyrinth of walls filled with effusive notes penned by visitors from around the world. The only obvious reminders of Jackson&#8217;s complicated legacy are the bronze statues of children at play that dot the estate.

See Also:
How Colony Capital Should Spend Its New $500 Million Entertainment Fund
Barrack built his fortune making deals, and in some ways, Neverland began as just another one&#8212;a contrarian bet on a troubled asset, an operating business backed by real estate. Only in this case, the operating business was a person. Colony would bail Jackson out of his substantial debt; in return, the firm would assume ownership of Neverland, and Jackson, after a thirteen-year hiatus, would go back to work to generate new revenue. Jackson&#8217;s death, before he could carry out a planned comeback tour, turned the transaction into more of a straightforward real-estate play: Colony is fixing up Neverland and plans to sell it, at some point, for a profit. But after doing the Jackson deal, Barrack and his team began to wonder whether they might have stumbled on a whole new class of investment: the distressed celebrity.

Earlier this year, two financial firms, Cantor Fitzgerald and Media Derivatives, moved to create futures exchanges devoted to betting on film box-office receipts. Neither plan made it through Congress, which was heavily lobbied by Hollywood studios, but these would-be speculators weren&#8217;t alone in seeking a new way for Wall Street to enter the cultural marketplace. Earlier this fall, CAA sold a 35 percent stake of its agency to the private-equity firm TPG, modeling the deal on Ted Forstmann&#8217;s purchase of IMG in 2004. And while there have always been moneymen willing to buy a stake in the big studios, along with a deep bench of bored tycoons eager to &#8220;executive produce&#8221; their way into hanging out on set, Hollywood is now luring harder-nosed investors backing individual movies in the full expectation of an attractive return on equity.

Other investors have sought ways to take positions in celebrities themselves. Thirteen years ago, David Bowie famously raised $55 million by issuing so-called Bowie Bonds, paying 7.9 percent interest through album royalties and introducing the concept of securitized intellectual property. Now the model is proliferating. In 2007, Mark Cuban co-founded Content Partners to do for celebrities what structured-settlement firms do for winners of lotteries and lawsuits: pay an up-front lump sum in return for the right to future revenue. (Cuban won&#8217;t name names but claims the venture has been &#8220;highly profitable.&#8221;) Art Capital Group, a high-end pawnshop, lends money to brand-name artists who pledge their paintings and photographs as collateral.

Over the past two years, Barrack has been lining up deals that target celebrities and entertainment properties whose value he believes to be artificially depressed. In some cases, that&#8217;s because they haven&#8217;t yet figured out a way to monetize their assets. But mostly it&#8217;s because the investment is, in the classic sense, distressed&#8212;individuals like Jackson or Annie Leibovitz whose financial mismanagement has obscured their future revenue potential, or properties like the Miramax film library, which Disney is unloading at a time when no one can agree on what a studio archive is worth. This summer, Barrack created a new $500 million media-and-entertainment investment fund, working with his friend Rob Lowe, who is a partner in the fund. Together they have been on something of a shopping spree&#8212;and generating a little tabloid coverage while they&#8217;re at it. In one TMZ appearance, a paparazzo&#8217;s telephoto captured Lowe and Barrack, shirtless, checking their BlackBerrys on a yacht in the Mediterranean. In a second, the two men were video-ambushed as they entered the Mayfair restaurant C London for dinner with owner Giuseppe Cipriani and Formula One&#8217;s Flavio Briatore.

Barrack has explained the timing of his new direction by musing publicly that some of the investment sectors in which he amassed his wealth can no longer generate extraordinary returns. The world right now is &#8220;an environment that has very little visibility, and whatever you guess will surely be wrong the next day,&#8221; he says, glancing at his BlackBerry. &#8220;Everybody has been abjectly wrong if they&#8217;re trying to make macro bets.&#8221; The only thing to do is position yourself for opportunities&#8212;stand in the stream and wait for fish to swim between your legs. That&#8217;s how the Neverland&#8212;

&#8220;Face!&#8221; Barrack yells suddenly, looking in the direction of Neverland&#8217;s front gate. &#8220;Face!&#8221;

Barrack's Bailouts
Recent investments by Colony Capital.

Neverland Valley Ranch, 2008

Annie Leibovitz, Spring 2010

Miramax, Fall 2010

Photos: Gabriel Bouys/AFP/Getty Images (Neverland); Mario Tama/Getty Images (Leibovitz)
Rob Lowe, 46 years old and agelessly pretty in Chrome Hearts sunglasses and a light-blue Zegna polo, is walking toward us. Barrack awarded Lowe his nickname after they entered a Starbucks in London this past summer and were greeted by a swooning Croatian fan: &#8220;Ze face! It&#8217;s ze face!&#8221;

&#8220;We needed some star power,&#8221; Barrack says, as Lowe reaches us, grinning.

&#8220;How&#8217;s the hand?&#8221; Lowe asks.

Barrack is wearing a red cast on his left hand. Three days ago, he was playing polo at the Santa Barbara Polo and Racquet Club against a team that included Adolfo Cambiaso, the best player in the world, when his horse went down. Barrack broke his thumb and tore his rotator cuff.

&#8220;I&#8217;m great,&#8221; he answers.

Barrack is almost comically stoic in the face of injury. He reentered the match. In college at USC, where he played on the rugby team, he went into the finals against Stanford with a broken nose; by the end of the game, he also had a broken left ankle, separated shoulder, and torn right knee. In the years since, he has continued to rack up injuries. He has separated his clavicle more than once, and his right bicep hangs balled near the elbow, from a tendon severed in a different polo incident. &#8220;I don&#8217;t view it as recklessness,&#8221; Barrack says. &#8220;I view it as the mental discipline to practice pushing through comfort barriers.&#8221;

In 2005, Barrack&#8217;s grin appeared on the cover of Fortune, beside THE WORLD&#8217;S GREATEST REAL-ESTATE INVESTOR, and he got there largely by relying on this maniacal stamina. He launched Colony Capital in 1990, and for fifteen years, it averaged an annual return of 21 percent for its investors. The inaugural Colony transactions mined the S&L crisis by buying packages of bad loans from the FDIC at bargain prices. These deals possessed several of the elements that would characterize Barrack&#8217;s deals over the next two decades: They used real estate as collateral; they required intensive hands-on management; and, most important, they ran toward, rather than away from, regulatory complexity. Colony was the first private-equity firm to get a gaming license, for instance. &#8220;No one&#8212;no one&#8212;would go through that Bataan death march,&#8221; Barrack says. &#8220;So for four years, we had a monopoly, because there&#8217;s no other private-equity firm that would go through the licensing process, which is hell.&#8221;

When Barrack and Lowe announced this past summer that they were joining forces to start their entertainment-investment fund, it seemed an unlikely May-December bromance. But the two have been friends for a decade. Lowe&#8217;s and Barrack&#8217;s children attended the same grammar school. Since meeting as parents, the two have surfed in Indonesia and spent Christmas together in Hawaii; Barrack is the only person Lowe has allowed to read portions of the memoir he&#8217;s writing, Stories I Only Tell My Friends.

To be a billionaire in California is to have some relationship to Hollywood, and Barrack&#8217;s appears particularly freighted. The son of a grocer, he grew up in Culver City in the shadow of MGM Studios. By fourth grade, he had made a deal with the lady overseeing the Red Riding Stable, which served as MGM&#8217;s barn; if he cleaned eight stalls a day, he could ride one of the rental horses for three hours. &#8220;I became very good at mucking stalls of the horses of the stars,&#8221; he says.

Though an investment banker on the losing end of one of Barrack&#8217;s deals snarks that &#8220;he&#8217;s a star-fucker,&#8221; Barrack dismisses the suggestion that his childhood shovel work might somehow explain his current forays into entertainment. If anything, his friendship with Lowe has been good business. Barrack had been present on several occasions when Lowe was on the phone negotiating final points of contracts, and was perplexed by the irrationality of Hollywood. He and Lowe started talking about whether the inefficiencies of show business presented an investment opportunity.

&#8220;In my business, nobody ever tells you what the numbers are,&#8221; says Lowe. &#8220;There can be 50 different numbers, and I&#8217;ve never been part of a deal in the last ten years, for any project I&#8217;ve done, that didn&#8217;t come down to the one-yard line and then somebody going &#8216;**** you&#8217; and the other side going &#8216;Hey, **** you&#8217; and then overturning the table, and then maybe one of the parties comes back and then the deal happens. And Tom just can&#8217;t believe this. And so when it gets to the one-yard line, inevitably they call me, and then at that point, the real negotiation begins.&#8221;

Barrack&#8217;s turn into entertainment investing began with a visit to Michael Jackson&#8217;s home in Las Vegas in 2008. Barrack had received a call from Tohme Tohme, a fellow Lebanese-American who had become Jackson&#8217;s business manager. Jackson hadn&#8217;t released an album or toured in thirteen years, but he had three significant assets: the Neverland property, the MiJac catalogue of his own music, and the enormous Sony/ATV catalogue, which included, among other songs, most of the Beatles&#8217; oeuvre. Jackson was facing a crisis, Tohme said. The holder of $270 million in loans to Jackson was foreclosing on Neverland and planned to sell it in five days. Would Barrack meet with Jackson? &#8220;It&#8217;s so not Tom&#8217;s thing,&#8221; Lowe says. &#8220;Getting roped into spending half an hour with Michael Jackson in some weird house is just not on his agenda.&#8221;

Somewhat grudgingly, Barrack arrived at Jackson&#8217;s fifties stucco rental on Palomino Lane. &#8220;Not one blade of grass,&#8221; Barrack says. &#8220;The house was old and musty.&#8221; The 1,000-plus-page Sony/ATV catalogue was on the table between them, and Barrack was quickly won over. &#8220;For sure, the guy is an absolute genius,&#8221; Barrack says. &#8220;He was remembering not just songs but every performance, every date, every script.&#8221; When it came to business matters, though, Jackson was lost. He knew only that if Neverland was foreclosed on as scheduled, it would trigger a cascade of financial devastation. For the past decade, he had repeatedly staved off financial reckoning by borrowing. Now he was out of options.

As a rule, Barrack is drawn to distressed situations. One of his rules for success.
Barrack had a relationship with the loan holder, Fortress, and was able to get an extension to give his Colony team time to crunch the numbers. They concluded that the only way to make a deal work would be for Jackson to start generating new revenue, which meant performing old material. Two days later, Barrack called Jackson. &#8220;I told him: &#8216;Where you are is an insolvable puzzle unless you&#8217;re willing to go back to work. If you&#8217;re willing to do that, then we can help, but if you&#8217;re not willing to do that, it&#8217;s just presiding over a funeral.&#8217;&#8201;&#8221; At first, Jackson demurred. &#8220;He really had a hard time with that, and he struggled for about three days. Finally, he calls back and says, &#8216;You&#8217;re right, I&#8217;ll do it.&#8217;&#8201;&#8221;

Colony agreed to bail out Jackson; in return, the firm would take ownership of Neverland and arrange for AEG, the concert promoter owned by Barrack&#8217;s friend Phil Anschutz, to stage a comeback. An unforeseen complication arose when Barrack received a call from the King of Bahrain, whom he knew from Sardinia, where Barrack owns much of the Costa Smeralda; astonishingly, Jackson had apparently forgotten that while being hosted in Bahrain, he had signed over the rights to his catalogue to the king&#8217;s son. Colony had to buy out that interest. Jackson moved into a gated $100,000-a-month mansion in Bel-Air to prepare for a run of 50 concerts in London that would relaunch his career. Instead, it ended it. He was struggling physically and heavily medicated by a live-in doctor. He died, from a sedative overdose, eighteen days before the first concert.

But in the frenzy of posthumous adulation of Jackson&#8212;in those first days, it was hard to find an FM radio station that wasn&#8217;t playing &#8220;Billie Jean&#8221; or &#8220;Beat It&#8221;&#8212;Barrack watched as Jackson&#8217;s value was suddenly and spectacularly realized. This Is It, a documentary about Jackson&#8217;s preparation for the comeback concerts, grossed $261 million worldwide during its theatrical run, a record for a concert film, and the Jackson estate signed a series of lucrative deals, including a video game and a Cirque du Soleil show.

&#8220;What&#8217;s amazing,&#8221; Barrack says, &#8220;is he attained in death what he could never attain in life.&#8221; It may be an obvious observation, but it&#8217;s one with huge financial implications for a long-term investor. Anyone who had seen past the momentary distractions of controversy and scandal could have identified the intrinsic preciousness of Jackson&#8217;s talent and fan base. Colony hadn&#8217;t predicted Jackson would die, of course, but it had wagered correctly that, over time, Michael Jackson the asset would outshine its liabilities (and even Michael Jackson the person).
[/B]

As a rule, Barrack is drawn to distressed situations. One of the adages in a list of &#8220;rules for success&#8221; that he sometimes distributes to employees is &#8220;befriend the bewildered.&#8221; And when you start applying the thought process of a vulture investor to pop culture, suddenly the world can seem dizzy with opportunity. Is Lindsay Lohan a drug-addled train wreck or an underestimated future cash machine? What about Mel Gibson? Rob Lowe himself, now a ubiquitous television star, would have made for a profitable distressed investment if Rob Lowe shares had been floated in the late eighties. It&#8217;s all a matter of correctly analyzing an asset&#8217;s fundamentals and buying at the right time.

Not long after Jackson&#8217;s death, Barrack read that Annie Leibovitz had taken out a $24 million loan from Art Capital, putting up four homes and the rights to her catalogue as collateral, and that Art Capital had sued her after a series of missed payments. It was 7 a.m. in Los Angeles, and Richard Nanula, a Colony principal, was playing golf at the Malibu Country Club when Barrack e-mailed: &#8220;Can we help her?&#8221; Nanula met with Leibovitz in New York, and Colony ended up buying out Leibovitz&#8217;s debt for $40 million. Leibovitz got the rights to her photographs back; in typical Colony fashion, her real estate would serve as the collateral on the new loan. And Barrack&#8217;s firm would work with her to generate new revenue through exhibits of her work and the sale of limited-edition archival prints.

&#8220;The very first thing Tom said to me was that he wasn&#8217;t interested in my real estate or my archive,&#8221; Leibovitz says. &#8220;He was interested in me.&#8221; Whereas her previous lender was set to make money foreclosing on a loan gone bad, Barrack saw profit potential in facilitating a longer-term turnaround. Comparing Colony with Art Capital, Leibovitz says only: &#8220;There are no equivalences. None.&#8221;

Barrack says he no longer believes real-estate investing can deliver more than &#8220;singles and doubles.&#8221; In fact, it has yielded some strikeouts: A $4 billion Colony fund raised in 2007 showed 60 percent losses as of the first quarter of 2010. Meanwhile, Barrack says Colony is fielding &#8220;hundreds&#8221; of inquiries by cash-squeezed artists and celebrities who hope he can do for them what he did for Jackson and Leibovitz. &#8220;It&#8217;s the most inefficient quagmire of opportunities I&#8217;ve ever seen, financially.&#8221;

In flirting with pop culture, Barrack is navigating a world that has tripped up many an otherwise savvy investor, and the next few years will test whether he&#8217;s a Hollywood savant or just its latest victim. In early July, he wrote a rhapsodic memo to his employees announcing a &#8220;personal breakthrough.&#8221; After a meeting scheduled to take place on a yacht in Turkey was canceled, he found himself twiddling his thumbs at sea. &#8220;I didn&#8217;t know what to do, and I&#8217;m not good at being alone,&#8221; he says. He ended up reluctantly reading the only book on the boat&#8212;Twilight&#8212;and then the next two books in the series. In his letter, loaded with disclaimers about how almost disgusting he had found it to contemplate reading a book for teenage girls, he chalked up the book&#8217;s broad appeal to Edward&#8217;s canny grasp of gender. &#8220;Every woman longs for the anticipation, the romance, the journey, the taboo, the patience, and the attentiveness,&#8221; Barrack wrote. &#8220;Men, however, are all about the destination, the result, the speed, and the outcome.&#8221;

Barrack meant his essay as a small parable about the value of exposing oneself to new ways of looking at things, but after it was accidentally posted online and blogged about by The Wall Street Journal, Bella&#8217;s legions seized on it as a tribute to their heroine. Twilight blogs went crazy, and mail started flooding in from appreciative teenyboppers everywhere, from Sweden to China. &#8220;I swear to God,&#8221; Barrack says, &#8220;it&#8217;s the most embarrassing moment of my life, because you know, for a man, I didn&#8217;t mean it as a sensitive moment. I meant it because what I realized about myself was these things that I was sure of&#8212;these points of view that I had held that I was so rock-solid about&#8212;when I took the time to go to the other side, it unwrapped me.&#8221;

At the same time that vampires were eating his brain, Barrack was wondering what his putative media-entertainment fund&#8217;s first deal should be. Disney had been looking to sell Miramax for months, and until recently, it had looked as if founders Bob and Harvey Weinstein were going to buy it back with the help of investor Ron Burkle. Then, suddenly, Disney terminated talks, after the Weinstein-Burkle group dropped their bid from $625 million to $575 million. &#8220;You don&#8217;t hondle Disney,&#8221; explains someone close to the negotiations.

Colony&#8217;s Nanula, who had been Disney&#8217;s CFO when the company first acquired Miramax, liked the deal: It was a library to exploit, a hard asset immune to the vagaries of Hollywood egos. And as it happened, Disney was now in exclusive talks with another Barrack friend, construction tycoon Ron Tutor, who was looking for a co-investor. Nanula took charge of the negotiations for Colony-Tutor, since he had literally hired the people at Disney he would be across the table from. The Colony-Tutor team ended up agreeing to pay $610 million ($662 million before adjustments), with a conservative one third in equity. That represented only four times cash flow, and Miramax came with $250 million in blue-chip receivables. Best of all, there was no money-sucking, roll-the-dice studio attached. Nor were there any Weinsteins. &#8220;We saw value where others did not,&#8221; Barrack says.

&#8220;They overpaid by a mile,&#8221; snipes a rival bidder. &#8220;Film libraries are melting ice cubes. You&#8217;ve got to find a way to re-create revenue streams, which means making films, which means risks.&#8221; While Barrack understands that at some point, the library will need to be refreshed, his focus is on maximizing distribution of its existing content. As he sees it, the archive is less a depreciating asset than one for which the new-media turbulence poses an opportunity. The Colony-Tutor purchase is set to close later this month, and both Google and Netflix are already eyeing a digital-rights deal for the Miramax archive.

To fully harvest the library, Colony envisions possibilities including a Miramax cable channel, a Miramax night on another cable channel, a Miramax.com, a video-on-demand Miramax channel, even, one day, a Miramax studio. The Weinstein brothers were not happy to lose out to Barrack and Tutor, and because they retain sequel rights to six films in the library, including Scream and Spy Kids, they could potentially make life more difficult for Colony. Both Barrack and Lowe have received agitated phone calls. &#8220;Harvey was frustrated,&#8221; Barrack says, &#8220;because his parents&#8217; names were on the wall.&#8221; (The brothers had named the company after their parents Miriam and Max.) &#8220;He sold that name and put a couple hundred million dollars in his pocket, and we had nothing to do with that decision, so you can&#8217;t blame us. On an ongoing basis, he is an incredible talent, and we would love to do something with him.&#8221;

Colony plans to do more deals in the movie business&#8212;perhaps rolling up other film libraries, such as Lionsgate&#8217;s&#8212;and in other entertainment sectors. It is looking at private TV channels (such as the New York Yankees channel), at European soccer teams, at sports stadiums, at structured-settlement types of royalty deals. Over the summer, Colony signed a deal with the yoga master Bikram Choudhury to help him transition his thousands of &#8220;authorized&#8221; studios to a franchise model.

But such deals can only be done one at a time. &#8220;The benefit and the detriment of that business, whether it&#8217;s Michael Jackson or Annie Leibovitz, is each one is so personalized,&#8221; Barrack says. &#8220;It&#8217;s a crafted investment, a venture-capital investment. It&#8217;s investing in talent that has been inefficient; by giving them a different set of clubs in the bag, you&#8217;ll make them efficient and take the arbitrage.&#8221;

All of this non-real-estate activity has at least a few of Colony&#8217;s 650 investors a bit unsettled. &#8220;I don&#8217;t like it,&#8221; says a longtime Colony investor of the Miramax purchase. &#8220;Just because you&#8217;re good in one thing doesn&#8217;t mean you&#8217;re good in everything. And what I don&#8217;t like most is that he&#8217;s not in full control. The risk in that deal is not the deal; the risk is in how well Barrack and Tutor get along.&#8221;

Nanula is well aware of the perils of dilettantism, and says that any new production would likely come later, as sequels or remakes of films already in the library, and be produced on someone else&#8217;s dime. &#8220;I think it&#8217;s a bit of a gamble,&#8221; acknowledges Richard Blum, the San Francisco investor (and husband of Senator Dianne Feinstein), who is putting money into the deal. &#8220;But part of what I like are the partners. It&#8217;s not like buying Treasuries, but I think these guys have a formula for success.&#8221;

After we drive to Barrack&#8217;s nearby ranch for a tour (vineyards, stables, two regulation-size polo fields), Lowe leaves for a night shoot in Big Sur. Barrack wants to have dinner in Santa Monica, so we take a helicopter up the coast. At Capo, we&#8217;re joined by Laird Hamilton, probably the world&#8217;s best big-wave surfer, and his wife, Gabrielle Reece, the professional volleyball player. Hamilton and Reece are the California dream incarnate, blond and buff and bluff. He&#8217;s six-foot-three. She&#8217;s taller. The couple divide their time between Malibu and Hawaii, where Hamilton grew up. Hamilton greets us with a nod and a quiet &#8220;aloha.&#8221;

Barrack, who has surfed since he bought his first Dewey Weber board for $15 as a teenager, got to know Hamilton after cold-calling him to speak at his annual investor conference. &#8220;He&#8217;s not all fogged up like all the financial guys and the guys on Wall Street,&#8221; Barrack had told me earlier. &#8220;I was always groping to convey to these investors how difficult it is to analyze risk. And Laird just hit the ball out of the park. His philosophy of life applies to everything.&#8221;

Hamilton reciprocates the admiration. &#8220;It took me about half a second to know that Tom is a good man,&#8221; he says. &#8220;It&#8217;s part of being in touch with your animal side. You just know&#8212;looking eyeballs.&#8221;

Over dinner, there&#8217;s much talk about surfing and fitness and protein-smoothie recipes. Hamilton is famous for his grueling, inventive regimens. Last week, he worked out Barrack and Lowe in the Neverland pool, having them hold twenty-pound dumbbells, sink to the bottom of the thirteen-foot-deep end, squat, explode upward to the surface, gasp for air, and repeat. Tomorrow, he and Barrack will run on the beach, pulling railroad ties behind them.

Hamilton recommends a book he&#8217;s reading, Deep Survival; parenting and other wisdom is exchanged. &#8220;The man with the sickle doesn&#8217;t discriminate,&#8221; Hamilton says.

Does Hamilton ever ask Barrack for advice?

&#8220;The beautiful thing about Laird and Gabby is our relationship started out agendaless, and we&#8217;re both really careful trying to keep it that way,&#8221; Barrack says. &#8220;And they&#8217;re really good on the financial things. They don&#8217;t need my financial help.&#8221;

&#8220;Okay, now he&#8217;s going too far,&#8221; says Reece, who at least for now is not in any evident distress. &#8220;If we had something really serious, we&#8217;d feel like we could go there.&#8221;

http://nymag.com/print/?/news/business/69782/index5.html

"They concluded that the only way to make a deal work would be for Jackson to start generating new revenue, which meant performing old material. Two days later, Barrack called Jackson. &#8220;I told him: &#8216;Where you are is an insolvable puzzle unless you&#8217;re willing to go back to work. If you&#8217;re willing to do that, then we can help, but if you&#8217;re not willing to do that, it&#8217;s just presiding over a funeral.&#8217;&#8201;&#8221; At first, Jackson demurred. &#8220;He really had a hard time with that, and he struggled for about three days. Finally, he calls back and says, &#8216;You&#8217;re right, I&#8217;ll do it.&#8217;&#8201;&#8221;

&#8220;What&#8217;s amazing,&#8221; Barrack says, &#8220;is he attained in death what he could never attain in life.&#8221; [...] Colony hadn&#8217;t predicted Jackson would die, of course, but it had wagered correctly that, over time, Michael Jackson the asset would outshine its liabilities (and even Michael Jackson the person).

... And these mobsters and killers are free as the birds in the sky....

Discussion: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3154635&highlight=beatles#post3154635

How Michael Jackson bought the Beatles catalogue

Johnnie L. Roberts
TheWrap

Forty-eight million in cash would get Michael Jackson only so far in his bid to possess a musical crown jewel.

The coup a quarter-century ago that would hand him ownership of the Beatles catalogue -- one of the 20th century's greatest bodies of songs -- relied heavily on an invaluable intangible: superlawyer John Branca's guile and chutzpah.

Today, Branca effectively controls Jackson's estate -- potentially the richest ever for a celebrity -- and the Beatles catalogue is its shiniest crown jewel. In 1985, the Branca-engineered Beatles purchase would radically redefine the dimensions of Jackson's legend.

In a few years of adulthood and relative freedom from his family's shadow, he towered as a creative force evidenced by the historic ''Thriller," the worldwide tour in support of "Bad," his illusionary moonwalk and the iconographic studded glove. Possessing the Beatles, however, revealed how Jackson's business instincts rivaled his remarkable artistry.

Why the Beatles didn't own their catalogue in the first place was unfortunate. Seeking to thwart British tax collectors, John Lennon and Paul McCartney in the 1960s formed Northern Songs, a public company, as the repository for the songs they wrote. The move backfired in 1969 when impresario Sir Lew Grade bought control of it on the open market through one of his companies, ATV Music.

Seventeen years later, Australian Robert Holmes à Court acquired Grade's crumbling entertainment empire. And, inevitably, Holmes à Court, a notable among the era's unsentimental raiders and plunderers of corporations, would put all or parts of it, including the Beatles, on the auction block.

In September 1984, Branca alerted Jackson, mentioning that ATV, a name the entertainer didn't even recognize, was available. ''It includes a few things you might be interested in," Branca had teased Jackson, according to a 1985 report in the Los Angeles Times. ''Northern Songs ... yeah, Mike ... the Beatles."

On Nov. 20, the lawyer telexed Holmes à Court, with a $46 million offer and a meeting request. Garry Stiffelman, a Branca firm partner who handled pivotal details, described the ensuing months negotiating and jockeying ''the long and winding road," the Times reported.

There was the globe-spanning ordeal of verifying the authenticity of all 4,000 songs in the catalogue, not just the 251 Beatles songs. But mostly it was the maddening antics of the seller, Holmes à Court, who repeatedly reneged on his word. In all, there were eight drafts of the contract, the Times noted.

Holmes à Court relished his reputation for tough dealing. ''The Viet Cong didn't play by the rules, and look what happened," he once told Fortune magazine.

In May 1985, Jackson's emissaries abandoned talks for about a month. Meanwhile, another bidder suddenly emerged: the team of Martin Bandier (now CEO of Sony/ATV) and Charles Koppelman, a veteran show business executive and investor who's now chairman of Martha Stewart's empire.

Their offer: $50 million -- about $2 million more than Jackson's.
Ironically, while Koppelman and Bandier had no idea that the world's biggest megastar was in the running, Branca had sensitive intelligence on the rivals. He, for example, knew they were backed by MCA Music, then headed by Irving Azoff, now CEO of Live Nation. An old Branca acquaintance, the lawyer had hired Azoff in 1984 to help with the Victory tour, Jackson's last with his brothers.

So when Bandier and Koppelman thought they had the deal sewn up, Branca called on Azoff to pull his financing. The two were the last to know they'd been sucker-punched. On the flight to London to -- they thought -- seal the deal, they spied Branca in a nearby seat. ''What are you doing in London," asked Bandier. Replied Branca, ''Just business."

Not until the Bandier and Koppelman met with Holmes à Court, Bandier recalls, did they learn disappointing news: ''He said, 'I've made a decision. I'm selling it to Michael Jackson.'"

Indeed, Branca had left nothing to chance. The bid, at $47.5 million, was the highest amount ever paid by an individual for a catalogue, the Los Angeles Times reported.

On top of the cash, Branca threw in a Jackson benefit concert for Holmes à Court's favorite charity and pledged a lifetime of income from the Beatles' classic "Penny Lane" to Holmes à Court's daughter, Penny.

"Brilliant," Bandier told me this summer, recalling Branca's move. "Charles and I couldn't do the moonwalk."

To this day, 25 years later, it's still evident Branca and his law partners remain sensitive to Paul McCartney's stinging accusation that his one-time friend Jackson had stabbed him in the back.
''Paul's representatives were very aware of what was going on," said Gary Stiffelman, who handled pivotal details for Branca. ''The part that always bothered me was the accusation that Michael stole it from under McCartney."

Branca also had been careful to seek the blessing of Yoko Ono. She reportedly was thrilled that a corporation wouldn't own the catalogue and didn't want the headache herself of teaming with McCartney for a joint bid.

When it was all over, Jackson gifted Branca with a Rolls Royce, the first of two he would give him. So it was that at barely 30 in 1990, Jackson now was fabulously wealthy -- worth $300 million, according to biographer J. Randy Taraborrelli, author of "Michael Jackson: The Magic and Madness."

http://music.msn.com/michael-jackso...id=51066f80-7eae-4e55-8742-303cb5e4d511&mpc=1

:scratch: "Michael" is listed as a featured release on the Sony/ATV USA homepage.

resize_image.php

Michael Jackson
Michael

http://www.sonyatv.com/

:unsure:

Wondering IF withbthe pending sale of Warner Chappell, will his whole catalog eventually be transferred to Sony/ATV, whether or not they and the estate buy the entire company...?

"Warner Music Group, which has held a series of takeover talks with EMI over the last 10 years, is widely seen as the most likely suitor for the recorded division.

Those likely to be interested in the publishing division, analysts say, include the joint venture between private equity firm KKR and Bertelsmann, pension funds and Sony/ATV Music Publishing, a venture between Sony Corp and the estate of late pop star Michael Jackson."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/sns-rt-news-us-emi-citigroup-20110201,0,3152764.story

Last edited:
:scratch: "Michael" is listed as a featured release on the Sony/ATV USA homepage.

resize_image.php

Michael Jackson
Michael

http://www.sonyatv.com/

:unsure:

Wondering IF withbthe pending sale of Warner Chappell, will his whole catalog eventually be transferred to Sony/ATV, whether or not they and the estate buy the entire company...?

"Warner Music Group, which has held a series of takeover talks with EMI over the last 10 years, is widely seen as the most likely suitor for the recorded division.

Those likely to be interested in the publishing division, analysts say, include the joint venture between private equity firm KKR and Bertelsmann, pension funds and Sony/ATV Music Publishing, a venture between Sony Corp and the estate of late pop star Michael Jackson."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/sns-rt-news-us-emi-citigroup-20110201,0,3152764.story

i would guess yes, since they have the power to do the bidding..and warner plans on doing the selling. of course, 'pending' is theh same as saying fiance, these days. it means 'no promise of a sale'. lol. MJ's estate ain't ever losing that catalogue. i've never seen a company more willing to buy stuff, than them. most people are into selling, they['re so economically strapped. i can't remember the last time atv has been interested in selling anything since MJ took it over.

i would guess yes, since they have the power to do the bidding..and warner plans on doing the selling. of course, 'pending' is theh same as saying fiance, these days. it means 'no promise of a sale'. lol. MJ's estate ain't ever losing that catalogue. i've never seen a company more willing to buy stuff, than them. most people are into selling, they['re so economically strapped. i can't remember the last time atv has been interested in selling anything since MJ took it over.

No, I'm talking about Michael's own music that's published by Warner Chappell. "Michael" the album was published through Sony/ATV according to their website.

:scratch:

No, I'm talking about Michael's own music that's published by Warner Chappell. "Michael" the album was published through Sony/ATV according to their website.

Michael is listed as a feature album on Sony/ATV website because Akon and the other song writer of Hold My Hand are Sony/ATV's song-writter. So, Sony/ATV owns the right of HMH.

Songs that are written by Michael, such as TWYLM, Best of Joy, and Much Too Soon are still published by Mijac.

Michael is listed as a feature album on Sony/ATV website because Akon and the other song writer of Hold My Hand are Sony/ATV's song-writter. So, Sony/ATV owns the right of HMH.

Songs that are written by Michael, such as TWYLM, Best of Joy, and Much Too Soon are still published by Mijac.

Thank you!

Then I think they should have used the HMH single cover instead of the "Michael" cover. The music industry is confusing enough as it is. :doh:

:smilerolleyes: That threw me off

Mike's(publishing)owned song, 'The Time Of My Life' was performed by The Black Eyed Peas during the Super Bowl halftime show, this year, 2011. so MJ permeates yet another superbowl halftime show, in yet, another way. a lot of people said they didn't like The Black Eyed Peas performance, but we, here like the sound of the kaching going into MJ's estate.

Last edited:
Michael Jackson Song Catalog Will Moonwalk to Sony/ATV Publishing

Michael Jackson, even in death, remains in the middle of the current musical chairs deals in the declining record industry. For all these years, Michael&#8217;s MiJac Publishing has been administered by Warner Chappell, part of what is now Warner Music Group. MiJac includes not only Michael&#8217;s hits that he wrote, like &#8220;Billie Jean&#8221; and &#8220;Beat It,&#8221; but a vast number of other hits including those of Ray Charles, Curtis Mayfield, and Sly and the Family Stone.

Warner Chappell doesn&#8217;t own MiJac but it administers the rights to it and collects hefty fees. With WMG for sale, and talk of Warner Chappell being sold off, MiJac would seem like an integral part of their story.
But there&#8217;s a hitch that I can reveal to you: MiJac is leaving Warner Chappell and going to become part of Sony/ATV Music Publishing, the company that Michael Jackson&#8217;s estate co-owns with Sony and contains the Beatles catalog.

According to sources, this arrangement was written into the MiJac contract with Warner Chappell years ago. It would be triggered by the release of the next Jackson album&#8211;in this case, the recent &#8220;Michael&#8221;&#8211;and the repayment of loans.

The move by MiJac to Sony/ATV is a big deal for many reasons. With both WMG and EMI Music for sale,Sony/ATV could be kicking the tires of each company&#8217;s publishing divisions for purchase. But Warner Chappell might be less interesting to Sony ATV considering they&#8217;re already getting Mi Jac. And without MiJac, Warner Chappell&#8211;which just had a down quarter&#8211;might not look so good to other potential buyers.

What may happen now: the newer, and very hot, BMG Music Rights will likely make a play for EMI Music Publishing. EMI Music&#8211;the record company, which has the Beatles albums in its catalog&#8211;the physical albums and box sets&#8211;could then be merged with another record company like Sony Music or, more horrifyingly, Warner Music. Stay tuned.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2011/02/1...g-catalog-will-moonwalk-to-sonyatv-publishing

MsMo;3228808 said:

hdr_news.gif

2011 SONY/ATV (Michael Jackson Estate) GRAMMY WINNERS
Feb 15, 2011

resize_image.php

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance
Lady Gaga, “Bad Romance” (Lady Gaga, RedOne)

Best Pop Vocal Album
Lady Gaga, The Fame Monster (Lady Gaga, RedOne)

Best Short Form Music Video
Lady Gaga, “Bad Romance”

Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals
Sade, “Soldier Of Love”(Sade, Andrew Hale, Paul Denman, Stuart Matthewman)

Best Contemporary R&B Album
Usher, Raymond V Raymond
“Foolin’ Around” (Johnta Austin)
“More” (RedOne)
“Hey Daddy (Daddy’s Home)” (Andrew Harr, Jermaine Jackson EX US)

Best Rap Solo Performance
Eminem, “Not Afraid” (Boi-1da)

Best Rap Album
Eminem, Recovery
“Seduction” (Boi-1da)
“W.T.P.” (Supa Dups)
“Not Afraid” (Boi-1da)
“Cinderella Man” (Jamal Harris)

Best Female Country Vocal Performance
Miranda Lambert, “The House That Built Me” (Tom Douglas)

Best Country Album
Lady Antebellum, Need You Now
“Hello World (Tom Douglas, Tony Lane)
“Love This Pain (Jason Sellers)
“Bottle Up Lightning” (Tony Martin)

Best Contemporary Blues Album
Buddy Guy, Living Proof
“74 Years Young” (Gary Nicholson)
“Key Don't Fit” (Gary Nicholson)
“Where The Blues Begins” (Gary Nicholson)
“Stay Around A Little Longer” (Gary Nicholson)
“Coming For You” (Gary Nicholson)

Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
Crazy Heart
“Falling and Flying” (Gary Nicholson)
“Hello Trouble” (Eddie McDuff)

Best Historical Album
The Beatles (The Original Studio Recordings)

Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical
John Mayer, Battle Studies

Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album
Michael Bublé, Crazy Love
“Whatever it Takes” (Ron Sexsmith)

Best Pop Instrumental Album
Larry Carlton & Tak Matsumoto
“Take Your Pick” (Takahiro Matsumoto)

Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance
Paul McCartney, “Helter Skelter” (Lennon / McCartney)

CONTROL IN LATIN AMERICA ONLY

Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical
Revolver (David Guetta's One Love Club Remix) (Guetta)
[control this song in Latin America only]

Best R&B Song

John Legend & The Roots “Shine” (John Legend)

Best R&B Album
John Legend & The Roots Wake Up!
“Shine” (John Legend)

http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/800

Business Entities - Updates

the business entities controlled by the Michael Jackson Estate. Below you may see an updated overview of these active companies controlled by the MJ Estate.

MJ's intellectual properties are well controlled but divided into too many companies.

100% ownership:
The Michael Jackson Company LLC (Active in Delaware; Owns some intellectual property since 2006)
MJJ Productions Inc. (Active both in Delaware and California; Owns some intellectual property since 1979; MJ's production company between 1979-2006)
MJJ Ventures (Active in California; Owns some intellectual property related to short films since 1991)
Optimum productions Inc. (Active in California; Owns intellectual property related to short films since 1983)
MJJ Artistic Inc. (Active in California; Owns some intellectual property since 1990)
Nation Comics Inc. (Active in California; Owns some intellectial property since 1991)
Invincible Tours Inc. (Active in California; Controlled MJ's planned 2002 tour since 2001)
Triumph International Inc. (Active in Delaware and California; Owns most of the intellectual property related to MJ since 1982)
Triumph Multimedia Inc. (Active in California; Owns some intellectual property since 1993)
MJ-ATV Publishing Trust (Active in Delaware; Controls MJ's part in Sony/ATV since 1999)
MJ Publishing LLC (Active in Delaware; Controls MJ's own music catalog and master recordings since 1998, aka. MiJac Music)
New Horizon Trust I. II. and III. (Active in Delaware; Holds publishing rights against debts)
Go For Your Dream Foundation (Active in California; Controls MJ's previous foundation since 2003)

50% partnerships:

SEE Virtual World MJ LLC (Active in California; Controls the joint venture on PlanetMichael.com project since 2009)
SEE Virtual World MJ Operations LLC (Active in California; Controls the joint venture on PlanetMichael.com project since 2010)
Cirque Jackson I.P. LLC (Active in Delaware; Controls the joint venture with Cirque De Soleil on the MJ shows since 2010)
Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC (Active in Delaware and California; Controls the joint venture with Sony since 1995)
Sycamore Valley Ranch Company LLC (Active in California; Controls MJ's Neverland Ranch with Colony Capital since 2008)
MJJ Records LLC (Active in Delaware and California; Owns master records and intellectual property to MJ's MJJ Music label recordings with Sony)
World Events LLC (Active in Delaware; Owns intellectual property to the 2001 MJ concerts with David Gest)
MJ Licensing LLC (Active in Delaware; Owns some intellectual property in Europe since 2003 with Dieter Wiesner)

Questionable companies:
MJJ Kingdom LLC (Active in Delaware and California; It's profile is unknown, created in the Tohme Tohme era in 2008)
Jackson International LLC (Active in California; MJ's previous investment company since 1998, it's function is unknown)

LimeWire settles pub copyright suit

Terms of the settlement were not revealed

By Christopher Morris

Defunct file-sharing service LimeWire has settled a massive federal copyright infringement suit filed by eight major music publishing companies.A spokeswoman for the National Music Publishers Assn., whose members include the plaintiffs in the case, confirmed the settlement.

"We are pleased that this litigation is over," the NMPA said in a statement. "The parties worked hard to achieve a settlement that is a good result for all involved."

Terms of the settlement were not revealed. All claims in the case were dismissed, and each side will pay its own costs of the suit, according to a Bloomberg News report citing a March 7 court filing.

LimeWire was sued last June in U.S. District Court in New York, by EMI Music Publishing, Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Universal Music Publishing Group, Warner/Chappell Music, Inc., Bug Music, MPL Music Publishing, Peermusic, and The Richmond Organization (Variety, June 17). The publishers alleged widespread abuse of their song copyrights.

Had LimeWire been found guilty at trial, the toll could have been high: The publishers alleged "millions of infringing acts," and sought maximum statutory damages of $150,000 per infringing act.

The action succeeded a May decision in the same court, which found that LimeWire encouraged infringement of sound recordings (Variety, May 12). The previous suit was mounted by 13 record labels. An award of damages in that case remains pending.

As a result, LimeWire was ordered by the New York court to disable its peer-to-peer service (Variety, Oct. 27). An injunction order by the court said that LimeWire continued to be "a tool of choice for rampant infringement."

Contact the variety newsroom at news@variety.com

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118033570

Not sure whether this belongs here?

Sony To Reorganize Key Unit
By Jay Alabaster, Associated Press
Manufacturing.Net - March 10, 2011

TOKYO (AP) -- Sony Corp. said Thursday it will reorganize its main electronics businesses and promote the star of its gaming operations to lead a new consumer products division.
The massive new consumer group will be led by Kazuo Hirai, a rising executive who has overseen a recovery in Sony's video game business. The move likely sets the stage for him to one day take over for current CEO Howard Stringer.
The board will be watching Hirai's performance, Stringer said. But he denied he was stepping down any time soon to make way for a new chief executive.
"We haven't made up our mind on who our next president or CEO will be," he told reporters at Tokyo headquarters, while praising Hirai as loyal and charming.
The iconic company said it will combine the vast array of products that have made it famous with consumers -- including TVs, video games, PCs and mobile phones -- into the group. A second main division will be formed with the company's digital components and business-facing products.
Tokyo-based Sony remains a household brand name, but has lost much of the glow from years past, when products like its Walkman portable music players transformed the electronics industry. It is currently struggling against flashier rivals like Apple Inc. and behemoth competitors like Korea's Samsung Electronics Co.
Profits have grown in the gaming division under Hirai, with its core PlayStation 3 home console expected to sell 15 million units for the year through March, up from 13 million the previous year.
The company has also generated buzz among gaming aficionados with the recent announcement of a successor to its PlayStation Portable, due to go on sale late this year. Codenamed "NGP," for next-generation portable, it promises flashier graphics on a large screen.
But its core television business is racking up its sixth year of red ink, as it played catchup in flat-panel TVs to rivals.
Stringer, a Welsh-born American, who became the first non-Japanese to head Sony in 2005, said his management team has been trying to make Sony profitable, and the latest move was part of that turnaround effort.
"This is the last stage in the integration," he said.
Sony is striving to find a formula for combining such consumer products with its large music and movie holdings, which include the recent movie "The Social Network," about Facebook, and Michael Jackson's "Michael."
In its earnings announcement last month, Sony said that quarterly profit dropped from a year earlier, pulled down by the strong yen and falling TV prices. It also cut its annual sales forecast for the current financial period.
The changes revealed Thursday are to be implemented from the start of the company's next fiscal year that begins in April.
The promotion of Hirai makes it more likely he will one day run the company. In a press release, the company said Stringer would remain in charge, but the reshuffle was aimed at "empowering the next generation of Sony's management."
Hirai, 50, is one of Sony's most charismatic, recognizable leaders. Fluent in English, he has been instrumental in the success of the PlayStation brand in the U.S. and the rise of gaming as a major entertainment platform rivaling movies and television. Entertainment Weekly once named him one of the most powerful executives in the industry.
The announcement came during trading hours on Thursday. Sony shares were down 1.1 percent in the afternoon, compared to a 1.5 percent decline in Japan's benchmark Nikkei 225 stock average.
SOURCE

U R welcome :cheeky:

Moonwalker.Fan;3301658 said:
Thanks for the video, the best part is 6:00+

MTV and Sony ATV’s Extreme Music to Launch Hype Production Music

Film Music Magazine • March 22, 2011

MTV and Extreme Music, the production music arm of Sony/ATV, have announced the launch of Hype Production Music: a newly created hybrid music production and licensing partnership fueled by new and emerging independent talent.

Hype Production Music will empower MTV and Extreme to contract directly with unsigned artists and creatively help them produce new music with vocals that will enjoy first look consideration for key placements across MTV Networks’ programming and feed music supervisors’ appetites throughout the industry for blog-breaking freshmen bands.

Hype artists will benefit from their songs’ inclusion in the Hype Music Library that will be licensed through Extreme’s global client base of professional users with the copyright diligence of a major label, but the credibility of an indie. In addition, MTV will serve as music distributor for all contracted songs, delivering music to the artist’s fans through multiple digital music services. All revenues from licensing and digital distribution of songs included in the Hype Music Library will be split with 50 percent going to the artist.

“MTV has always been in the business of championing artists on the cusp. With the launch of ‘HYPE’, MTV has a platform to bring those artists to the forefront within our programming and beyond,” said Joe Cuello SVP, Creative Music Integration for MTV. “Day to day we search out the best emerging artists and songs to help tell a story and we are thrilled to be deepening those relationships. In partnership with Extreme, we are able to work hand-in-hand with artists from the start to create and distribute amazing original music.”

“It’s no secret that the music industry is gasping for air and struggling for ways to break new artists,” said Russell Emanuel CEO, Extreme Music. “HYPE’s hybrid model as an artist-friendly incubator leveraging its ability to license tracks directly in high profile shows will dramatically boost an act’s profile. This is a new breed, second to none career jump-starting opportunity. It’s production music on steroids!”

The initial HYPE offerings are slated for release early in 2011 and include: Daniel Chavez Wright (3D Friends), George Byrne, Locksley, Ginger Sling, The Midi Mafia, New Cassettes, Desoto Jones, Theft, National Skyline, Atlantic Line, Hell & Lula, Marc Robillard, The Diamond Light, The New FOs, Lego Johnson, Atlantic Connection and Heavy Young Heathens.

http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=7585

Last edited:
Guys, post a comment on this blogger and the article and use all info from this thread!

Emphasize the importance of his companies (use http://lesliemjhu.blogspot.com/), secret or publicly unknown income, complete SONY/ATV catalogue and its artists like Gaga, Bieber, Eminem..., and of course, emphasize the biased reports of so-called economic journalists from NYTimes, Forbes....

-------------
Michael Jackson: still dead but working hard

http://www.oyetimes.com/music/mainstream/10252-michael-jackson-still-dead-but-working-hard
Over the years I have heard the odd statement that death can be the best thing to happen to an artist. The demand by the public goes up and consequently the value of the art goes up. With death, the public realise there will be no new "product" so the public fights over what there is.

It is well documented that Michael Jackson in the last part of his life had turned into something of an eccentric joke in the eyes of the world. However, the one aspect of this part of the story I found so curious was to read about the huge sums of money being bandied about in regards to the star's business dealings yet he seemed to have been constantly on the verge of bankruptcy. It seems like a paradox. How could somebody be the most recognisable and probably most bankable musical entertainer in the world and be at the point of ending up in the poor house?

According to Wikipedia, Jackson was in a partnership with Sony in a music publishing venture which was making him $75 million a year and yet he had a loan of $270 million on which he was delinquent. Just what was the loan for and where was all his income going? A NY Times article from June 2009 explained that the King of Pop's spending far outweighed his income. In 1999, he earned $11 million but spent $31 million.

In 2006, the reporter Timothy O'Brien shed some light on this mystery. While the beginning of Michael Jackson's career saw a man who seemed to have a handle on his financial affairs, the 1990's and onwards saw somebody progressively spending more and more in a capricious manner oblivious to the monetary consequences. O'Brien does point out a number of unscrupulous people in Jackson's entourage who for some unknown reason had the singer's ear and involved him a questionable and certainly unprofitable deals. Coupled with all this was a growing debt stemming from not just from overspending but also from working less.

O'Brien makes this telling statement: Mr. Jackson was making monthly payments of about $4.5 million in 2005 on $270 million in debt. That works out to be $54 million per year or 20% on $270 million. In other words, Jackson, like anybody who follows the "make the minimum payment" style of financial management, slowly crippled himself financially by having to have more just to pay the interest generated from his ever growing loans. His delinquency was so bad, the only loans he could secure were at abnormally high rates. Greater the risk, greater the interest.

Then it happened. On June 25, 2009, Michael Jackson died. Later that year I read the first story about Jackson's financial problems and I remember reading the reporter say that Jackson dying was the best thing to have happened to Jackson's career. Record sales had taken off but unlike when he was alive, the biggest drain on his finances was no longer in the picture, Michael Jackson himself.

An article from NPR dated June 25/2010 called "Michael Jackson Stacks Paper From The Grave" by Karen Grigsby Bates, states:

The big difference between Jackson now and Jackson a year or so ago &#8212; besides the obvious &#8212; is he's making money, but his outlay has changed dramatically.

Bill Werde, editor of Billboard Magazine, says Jackson's death was shocking and tragic &#8212; and fans' interest in everything Jackson resulted in the strange benefit of digging the singer out of a deep financial hole.

"Not only does it spur an incredible interest in that artist, which of course drives sales and other revenue opportunities, but it also removes the spending from the estate in a big way," Werde says.

So the money made from Jackson's music, music catalog and the release of the hit documentary This Is It, which chronicled the King of Pop's last rehearsal, isn't eroded by a large retinue and undisciplined spending habits.

The Estate
Wikipedia states that Jackson became the best selling artist of 2009. The Washington Post reports that Jackson's estate will have earned $250 million by the first anniversary of his death and is well on its way of paying off all loans. It goes on to estimate that Jackson's half of his Sony partnership is now worth $1 billion.

Forbes in their 2010 list of the 13 top-earning dead celebrities said Jackson, with gross earnings of $275 million, made more than the other 12 combined. Number two was Elvis Presley with $60 million.

Apparently Jackson has numerous unreleased recordings; possibly hundreds of them. (see the Wikipedia article below about this) This past year has seen some "new" songs from the King of Pop and it would seem his estate has much to sell to the world to keep Mr. Jackson at the top of Forbes list. Certainly his children will never have any financial worries in their lifetimes. And probably their children as well.

Final Word
I have to chuckle thinking that one is worth more dead than alive. (Then again, I should take a look in the mirror. That idea could very well be applicable to me!)

Michael Jackson was an amazing, talented, and unique performer. It is unfortunate to see someone in circumstances so far removed from the normalcy of everyday life that he would progressively see life in a distorted manner. I guess if you're so far up the ladder from the rest of us common folk, you forget - if you ever knew - what normal life really is. Then again, what's odd in normal life turns out to be what creates that artistic output. Is it a trade-off? Normalcy for greatness?

Looking at the estate, it is just mind-boggling to think about the wealth being generated by this entertainer even after his death. What a legacy and what a testimony to his popularity.

References

Wikipedia: Michael Jackson

The Toronto Star - Jun 25/2010
Death Becomes Him: The surprising rehab of Michael Jackson by Joel Rubinoff

NPR - June 25/2010
Michael Jackson Stacks Paper From The Grave by Karen Grigsby Bates

Huffington Post - March 14/2011
Exclusive: Inside Michael Jackson's "Hollywood" by Joe Vogel

The New York Times - May 14/2006
What Happened to the Fortune Michael Jackson Made? by Timothy L. O'Brien
[This is a fascinating article about Jackson's spending from the 1980s, through the 1990s and into the 2000s.]

The Daily Mail - Nov 14/2008
Michael Jackson - the man who blew a billion By Alison Boshoff

Wikipedia: List of unreleased Michael Jackson material

Back