MJ ESTATE & PAUL ANKA Sued Over 'This Is It' For $24 MILLION [ Update : Case dismissed]

Re: MJ ESTATE & PAUL ANKA Sued Over 'This Is It' For $24 MILLION [ Update : Lawsuit reopened]

Here's the update

10/30/2012 Jonzun files the complaint against Sony Music, Mijac, MJ Estate, Anka, Sony Pictures, AEG Live + other production and publishing companies

11/06/2012 Jonzun files voluntary dismissal, judge dismiss the case.

12/04/2012 Case gets reopened. Jonzun files a document saying he never wanted the case to be dismissed and someone else filed that voluntary dismissal.

2/26/2013 Jonzun tries to serve parties by sending them certified letters he can serve some and some gets returned back to him. Note: Legally you need to serve a party in 120 days and that would be Feb 27, Jonzun stated the serving process on day 119.

3/22/2013 MJ Estate files a motion to dismiss based on the point that MJ Estate isn't a legal entity and it cannot be sued.

3/26/2013 Paul Anka files a motion to dismiss based on they weren't properly served (sent to the wrong address and wrong person) and Anka and his production companies are based in California and therefore Massachusetts courts do not have jurisdiction.

4/1/2013 Jonzun files a motion asking the court to enter a default judgment against AEG as AEG hasn't responded to the complaint when they are required.

4/5/2013 Jonzun asks for an 14 day extension to reply to MJ Estate's motion to dismiss and asks a 21 day extension to reply to Paul Anka motion to dismiss.

4/5/2013 Jonzun asks court for additional 120 days to serve the parties he couldn't serve before which are Sony Pictures, Sony Music, Mijac, MJ company, Paul Anka and his companies. Jonzun claims that an unknown third party presented himself as Jonzun and filed the voluntary dismissal request. Jonzun also states that he acted within the 120 day period of case reopen date of December 4.

4/11/2013 AEG files a motion to dismiss based on that they weren't timely and properly served (letter was addressed to AEG Inc's receptionist who's not an agent of AEG Live and is not authorized to accept service in their behalf), Massachusetts courts do not have jurisdiction and the complaint did not include a claim against them.

4/12/2013 Jonzun asks for a default judgment against AEG Live in the amount of $32 Million for failure to appear.

4/17/2013 AEG files their opposition which is mainly mentioning their points in the motion to dismiss.

4/18/2013 Anka files opposition for Jonzun's 120 days extension request to serve.

4/26/2013 Jonzun replies to MJ Estate's motion to dismiss. (Note: he's one week late to file)

5/1/2013 Jonzun replies to Anka's motion to dismiss.

5/3/2013 Estate responds to Jonzun again stating that Estate's aren't legal entities and cannot be sued.

5/8/2013 Jonzun replies to AEG.

5/15/2013 Sony Music and Epic Music gets served.

5/15/2013 Jonzun files another reply in support of his request for default judgment against AEG.

5/16/2013 Judge disqualifies himself as a law firm he worked previously filed an appearance in the case. A new judge gets assigned to the case.

5/17/2013 Anka files reply again expressing MA law doesn't have jurisdiction.

5/20/2013 AEG responds with again serving AEG Inc in Denver by mail isn't proper, MA doesn't have jurisdiction and so on.

6/6/2013 Jonzun asks for a stay on the case for 120 days so that he can find a lawyer to work on contingency basis. AEG doesn't oppose this. Anka only agrees to 30 days, Estate opposes.

6/14/2013 Sony and Epic files a document saying that they weren't properly served and asks Sony and Epic to be dismissed.

10/23/2013 Judge denies motion to stay proceedings noting that he had more than enough time to find a counsel (the last action on the case was July 3, by October 23 Jonzun had 3+ months to find a lawyer)

11/20/2013 Hearing on multiple motion to dismiss has been set for January 27,2014

1/27/2024 Hearing is held court takes the matter under advisement

Note: Jonzun is still representing himself.

Re: MJ ESTATE & PAUL ANKA Sued Over 'This Is It' For $24 MILLION [ Update : Lawsuit reopened]

Gee I forgot about this case. I had to re-read to figure out what it was all about.
^^After all this foolishness he is still representing himself!!!

Can anyone figure how much this song is worth?

Last edited:

Gee I forgot about this case. I had to re-read to figure out what it was all about.

that's probably because we thought he dismissed the case

^^After all this foolishness he is still representing himself!!!

well he's looking for a lawyer on a contingency basis - meaning a lawyer that would take on the case for free and only get paid if they win the case - no lawyer would take it if they don't believe they stand a chance to win it.

Can anyone figure how much this song is worth?

lawsuit is for $10 Million and then one document asked AEG to pay their share of $32 Million in damages. So I guess anything from $10 Million to 100s of Millions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After skimming the case documents I think this will get dismissed. I'll give Jonzun the credit that I believe he didn't send the dismissal letter. But he was late to serve parties, even if the judge takes December 4,2012 as start date and decides he served them within 120 days I don't think service was proper. He literally mailed the complaint to main offices and in some instances it was receptionists that take the letter from the mailman. I would think that for example AEG Live is either represented by Putnam and Trell (in house counsel) and these are the only people that are authorized to accept service for AEG Live. Also Massachusetts jurisdiction could also be problematic. Jonzun lives in MA but Estate is CA based, MJ Co could be Delaware with registration in CA, AEG Live is CA, Anka says he's CA too. So this probably should have been filed in CA and not MA. Also if dismissed he probably won't be able to refile in CA due to statue of limitations.

First off, how on earth did I miss the fact that TII was nominated for Grammy!
I must have been sleeping over that period or something:)

Thanks Ivy for updates.

11/06/2012 Jonzun files voluntary dismissal, judge dismiss the case.
12/04/2012 Case gets reopened. Jonzun files a document saying he never wanted the case to be dismissed and someone else filed that voluntary dismissal.

Ivy, do you know if this is even possible that somebody goes to court and asks case to be dismissed?
It just doesn't sound right?

Ivy, do you know if this is even possible that somebody goes to court and asks case to be dismissed?
It just doesn't sound right?

Jonzun doesn't have a lawyer so he doesn't use the electronic filing system. What happens is he mails or fax the documents to the court clerks office and clerk adds it to the system and gives notice to the parties. So someone sent or hand delivered a letter to the clerk and clerk processed it. I gave Jonzun credit because the signature on the document doesn't match, the document also has a statement about freeing James Eagan Holmes - Aurora shooter. Jonzun also very quickly asks for the case to be reopened when he gets the notice from the clerk that the dismissal request was processed and judge dismissed the case. Court also reopens the case with no questions asked. So I think there's no doubt about Jonzun did not want to dismiss the case. Now why would a random person select Jonzun's case to mess with, I don't know.

Ivy it is still odd. This guy has no lawyer, so who would try to dismiss his case? If it is a fan who is tired of lawsuits and is interested in freeing somebody (freeing James Eagan Holmes - Aurora shooter), then maybe it is a prank. This person must be connected to him in some way to single out his case out of all the other nut jobs that are suing like Johnson and the Billie Jeans. How did the person know in which way Jun submitted his documents?

Petrarose, I was thinking if we had know it is so easy to to close some cases, we should have done something ourselves for "few" cases:)

Petrarose, I was thinking if we had know it is so easy to to close some cases, we should have done something ourselves for "few" cases:)

^^Oh my goodness--you too!!! I was thinking the same thing but thought I would be goody goody and not voice my thoughts. I guess the cases we are thinking about are using lawyers, so it might not be that easy. I would be like a little busy beaver scanning the court system on a monthly basis and cancelling cases, until they send the police to my house.

^^Oh my goodness--you too!!! I was thinking the same thing but thought I would be goody goody and not voice my thoughts. I guess the cases we are thinking about are using lawyers, so it might not be that easy. I would be like a little busy beaver scanning the court system on a monthly basis and cancelling cases, until they send the police to my house.

:giggle:

Judge dismissed the case based on that MJ Estate cannot be sued (should have sued Executors in their executor capacity), Court doesn't have jurisdiction over Paul Anka and AEG and Jonzun was late in serving other parties such as Sony music etc.

Thanks ivy. can he refile doing it properly or is that it

^^This is so funny. I can't help but crack up. Anyone remember how long this waste of time took from the initial filing to the judge's final order?

Thanks ivy. can he refile doing it properly or is that it

he can probably refile but he needs to get a lawyer, file it in California and make sure the case is handled properly. He wasn't able to find a lawyer in Massachusetts. So I would think his chances of finding a lawyer in CA and refiling is slim.

Anyone remember how long this waste of time took from the initial filing to the judge's final order?

October 2012 to March 2014.

^^2012 to 2014 so he wasted almost 2 years of the court's time on a case where the wrong entity was sued. You just don't know if you should laugh or be irritated, or maybe you should just do both.

The estate is getting there, slowly but surely these lawsuit are sorted out.

Back