MJ Estate teams up with Yonder & Beyond to create US-based social media application PlayMeet

either a honest mistake and not understanding the difference between executors as individuals and executors as executors of the MJ estate. or deliberate mention of MJ name to bring attention to the company.

I'd bet the latter. ;)

I'd bet the latter. ;)

I guess it is expected to refer to Branca and McClain's role as executors of MJ estate even when the news/situation is about them as individuals. I mean look to many media interviews done in the past with Branca as a lawyer for example, all of the articles mentioned that he is an executor of MJ Estate. So it comes up, it gets mentioned.

and here regardless of the differing opinions in regards to level of McClain's involvement, we know he was involved and "helped create" the app. So when mentioning his involvement, also mention his position as Executor of MJ Estate and Voila! you suddenly created a link to Michael Jackson and name dropped him in your announcement. And that MJ name dropping results in a local small announcement to attract attention internationally and put it on MJ fans radar. So if they can claim a link to MJ by saying "Mcclain who happens to be an executor of MJ Estate helped develop the app" why wouldn't they do it? It wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Last edited:
either a honest mistake and not understanding the difference between executors as individuals and executors as executors of the MJ estate. or deliberate mention of MJ name to bring attention to the company.

Yes, Ivy your above comment makes perfect sense. For me personally, it is very clear. NO involvement with the estate/no partnership with the estate means no funding from the MJ estate or forthcoming profits to the MJ Estate. They only worked with J.McClain ( who happens to be a co-executor of the MJ estate) as a private individual to develop this app.

Yes, Ivy your above comment makes perfect sense. For me personally, it is very clear. NO involvement with the estate/no partnership with the estate means no funding from the MJ estate or forthcoming profits to the MJ Estate. They only worked with J.McClain ( who happens to be a co-executor of the MJ estate) as a private individual to develop this app.
They also list the accomplishments of the Estate (TII-most successful concert movie ever-Cirque Immortal show, Cirque One show, Xscape, Billboard Awards) to show that McClain was responsible for all of that, why wouldn't this new app be equally successful.

No statement yet? Would be grand if the Estate could clarify this issue as they have made their positions clear when they were not involved in projects in the past. Regardless, this mobile application will launch next month. It will be interesting if Michael's likeness will be used to promote PlayMeet the way Xperia's mobile was.

By the way, I have been correcting my posts to say JMPM however I was correct when I stated Sony was involved as per the below.

PlayMeet launched as a Sony joint venture 2013 but it won't go live in Australia and the US until May.

Thanks. I see no problem with the executors having their own business ventures. And, growing the estate (through investments) is what they are supposed to be doing, for the heirs. The problem, if any, lies in the blurring of the two. This investment seems to have nothing to do with Michael, the BRAND. Investments of the estate do not necessarily have to use his name/image. But if this is just a private investment, by executors to grow their OWN income, then that does need to be clarified.

I guess it is expected to refer to Branca and McClain's role as executors of MJ estate even when the news/situation is about them as individuals. I mean look to many media interviews done in the past with Branca as a lawyer for example, all of the articles mentioned that he is an executor of MJ Estate. So it comes up, it gets mentioned.

and here regardless of the differing opinions in regards to level of McClain's involvement, we know he was involved and "helped create" the app. So when mentioning his involvement, also mention his position as Executor of MJ Estate and Voila! you suddenly created a link to Michael Jackson and name dropped him in your announcement. And that MJ name dropping results in a local small announcement to attract attention internationally and put it on MJ fans radar. So if they can claim a link to MJ by saying "Mcclain who happens to be an executor of MJ Estate helped develop the app" why wouldn't they do it? It wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Me either.

JMPM Properties LLC may well be Mcclain's company which may have contributed to the confusion.

The trademark applications for Playmeet (originally Playmeter) go back to 2009.

Interesting.... JMPM Properties equates to Mclain? Indeed!

Interesting find. Trademark applications for Playmeter go back to 2005.

Since they walked back the MJ Estate thing, I was then trying to run down the "PlayMeet launched as a Sony joint venture 2013" mentioned in media reports. Looked at Trademark history.

2005, eh? Mcclain's been tinkering awhile.

^^
IMO no collaboration with MJ Estate means no Estate funding. Actually there has never been any statement that this was funded by Estate or any other person. Their clarification to me makes it clear that this has nothing to do with MJ Estate and it's an individual project of McClain.

Thank you. I started to think I was really dense-no where in that press release (I've read it a few times now) did I see where they said the Estate invested in this in any way-so I wasn't understanding the argument. :( Unless it was the part that said Sony started it as a joint venture.

I wouldn't think that is the same as the Estate. The press release mentioned John McClain, himself, and that was it. I'm confused-I'll go back and read it again.

Personally, I think it's an idiotic idea, but I didn't "share cassettes" with people back in the day, either.

Okay then, glad to see I was on the same page as you guys

"PlayMeet launched as a Sony joint venture 2013 but it won't go live in Australia and the US until May."

u1rw7.jpg

http://www.playmeet.me/

Back