MJ’s most depressing song

This is a great discussion.

Morphine, while I agree that it is definitely very autobiographical and revealing, I wouldn't call depressing. It doesn't make me feel sad listening to it. I feel energized and angry, usually. Frustrated. He was really good about communicating the stress and mental anguish of addiction in that song. It is really hard to think about after he died, but it was always a thought provoking piece to me even before then. IMO it's one of the absolutely best things he ever created, and I wish I could have asked him about it. I have several family members who are addicts and it hits a soft spot for me in that way.

I Am A Loser, I guess in terms of content is a good choice and shouldn't be ignored. I guess the only reason I'd disagree with it being the "most depressing" is that we don't have the finished product. It comes across much more hopeful. In the end, Michael was an optimist, and wrote that way. He even talked about the coda in Heartbreak Hotel - he wanted to leave the listener reassured and feeling same. He wanted to end on a good note and not actually terrorize or depress others.

Little Susie and Be Not Always are fantastic examples. BNA always wows me. I listened to it over and over and over and over. It's so unlike anything else Michael recorded (Randy wrote it, right? Sorry if my brain is fuzzy). And he absolutely nailed it. I love that it feels like a secret among us - fans know, real fans know, and when we go to listen to it, it takes us somewhere that only we would really understand.

Little Susie is more eye-opening than depressing - it makes me want to stop things. It makes me want to mobilize. This poor child; abused, neglected, and murdered by what little family she knows? That wees me off, big time. It makes me want to go out and protect every child the same way Michael wanted to do, but it doesn't make me sad in the heart for longer than it takes to want to do justice by Susie (and all the Susies in the world that suffered the same fate).

So when it comes down to it - Be Not Always wins. I think it always will. Such a unique and beautiful work of art. It really is astounding, and does its job well.

No, MJ -co-wrote it with Marlon.

Be not always
Little Susie
Childhood

and to a lesser degree She's out of my life.

Themidwestcowboy;4102324 said:
What's more depressing than a song called "I Am A Loser". Lol

I have always considered (since its leak) this song the one with the strangest lyrics that MJ ever recorded.

The story about its making is probably known, in any case it is a really interesting one & sheds light on the song’s birth ('Xscape Origins' book).

This song does not refer to MJ himself at all (in other words, it is not an autobiographical one) & if it got an official release, it would have come out with a different chorus line & title.

More specifically, it was originally recorded in 2003 while MJ & Brad Buxer were living (during that period) in a hotel & their rooms were very close one another. During that night, an emotional distress kept Buxer off from sleeping. He kept repeating the words ‘I am a loser’ & MJ accidentally heard him & proposed recording a song about Buxer’s emotional trouble.

Consequently, Michael Prince (along with Buxer) helped MJ to record a scratch vocal by means of rudimentary recording equipment. In the subsequent years, the song underwent various modifications, but before they played it publicly, MJ insisted on the change of the song’s title/chorus line. MJ did not want to sing ‘I Am A Loser’, (& hence be still perceived as a loser), on the contrary he had no problem at all singing ‘I Was A Loser’. As a result, the song ‘I Am A Loser’ transformed into ‘I Was A Loser’ (the latter is the official but still unknown version of this song).

Finally, the whole story ends in a very sad way because it was revealed later (through a handwritten note) that MJ listed the song ‘I Was The Loser’ (or ‘The Loser’) as one of the songs that he planned to complete from 2009 onwards (along with other 28 tracks).

Omfg.... I just heard Be Not Always for the first time and I'm bawling my eyes out here. Thank you for introducing it to me! And now I just go to bed to cry myself to sleep....

MOST depressing I'm not sure but I'm surprised I haven't seen (Maybe I over looked) 'Don't Walk Away'... I shed some tears with that one for sure!

Smile

I know it's a paradox, but this song makes me so sad. There is something so deep-seated in it, so much Weltschmerz or pain behind it. Just my feeling. Already the start sets free a feeling of loneliness and longing for something in me.

I feel like many fans are refusing to call mj songs depressing because it has a negitive conotation.. in the case of art being able to pull that emotion out of the audiencd shows true depth... dont be so aFraid to say.. yeah "shes out of my life is depressing".. its meant to be, michael himself cried after each take...

Art is meant to pull emotions, even ones that hurt...

@KOPV: Exactly, that is also what I think. I do think that Smile is one of Michael's strongest songs, because it is that touching and emotion-provoking. I think, achieving that with art is the biggest acknowledgement one could get. Saying it makes me very sad does not mean I don't like it. It's just something I wouldn't hear between the doors or just in the background. It's something very deep-seated.

Someone Put Your Hand Out
Don't Walk Away
Gone Too Soon
She's Out of My Life
Be Not Always
*Much Too Soon (I know most people feel some kind of way about the "Michael" album, and rightfully so, but this one was actually him singing lol. It's definitely a sad one...)

Someone Put Your Hand Out
Don't Walk Away
Gone Too Soon
She's Out of My Life
Be Not Always
*Much Too Soon (I know most people feel some kind of way about the "Michael" album, and rightfully so, but this one was actually him singing lol. It's definitely a sad one...)
Someone put your hand out is a masterpiece in its own right. Far from depression. Opra like yea! But not depression but thats ur opinion. Now be not always....u got me there lol!

Morphine by far. Such a powerful, angry, sad, and unfortunately prophetic song. Especially around the "Demerol, Demerol , Oh God he's taking Demerol" line. It's almost as if he knew that people like Diane Demon and Nancy DisGrace would still be sandbagging him from beyond the grave, calling MJ a self destructive drug addict who was taking drugs like Demerol just to get high.....

SPYHO IS depressing lol! That doesn't mean it's a "bad" song, it's a GORGEOUS song not to mention one of my favorites. But if you listen to the actual lyrics, it's a very sad song. Michael basically is saying that he doesn't think he's able to love fully, but he yearns for the opportunity to try, and he's begging for someone, ANYONE to take a chance on loving him. That's depressing af lol. Especially in the 2nd verse....

"I've lived my life (of lonely?)
A soul that cries of shame
In handicapped emotions
Save me now, or what still remains
I'll be your story hero
A serenading rhyme
I'm just needing that someone
Save me now, I'm going out of my mind...."

Liiiiike lol...... The melodies are soaring and beautiful, but his words... my heart bleeds for him... :no:

Liberian Man;4126970 said:
Someone put your hand out is a masterpiece in its own right. Far from depression. Opra like yea! But not depression but thats ur opinion. Now be not always....u got me there lol!

PurdyYungThang84;4128640 said:
SPYHO IS depressing lol! That doesn't mean it's a "bad" song, it's a GORGEOUS song not to mention one of my favorites. But if you listen to the actual lyrics, it's a very sad song.

Depressing songs can be masterpieces (or gorgeous) at the same time.

In other words, to call a song a depressing one does not take away its beauty or appeal (‘Little Susie’, for example).

Finally, sifting through the replies, I am a bit surprised to see that the very sad, melancholic, love ballad ‘I’m So Blue’ has not been mentioned yet. A version of this song was eventually included on the ‘Bad 25’ anniversary edition & here MJ sings “to keep from feeling blue”.

Be Not Always

Who Is It, those lines and the way He sing it put me down:
I Am The Damned
I Am The Dead
I Am The Agony Inside
The Dying Head
This Is Injustice
Woe Unto Thee
I Pray This Punishment
Would Have Mercy On Me.

After Michael's passing, One Day In your Life... :(

My choice for most depressing song goes to Little Susie. To this day it is the only MJ song (or any song at all) that made me cry when I first listened to it (I think I was like 8 or 9 years old then, I don't remember).

Be Not Always and Someone Put Your Hand Out are the most sad imo. Amazing songs though.

Back