Most underrated MJ’s work

Psychoniff;4090132 said:
And his original songs of the Blood On The Dance Floor remix album which in my opinion was halfway to becoming a concept album.

zuriyal;4090252 said:
BOTDF being a remix album didn't give some of the really great new songs their opportunity to shine unfortunately :/

Doo Doo Head;4090259 said:
Everything during the 'Blood On the Dance Floor' "era". So the album and 'Ghosts' definitely.

I agree with all of these.

“Blood On The Dance Floor” had such great potential, but it turned out to be a hotchpotch with those remixes that ruined everything on that album…

Definitely agree with Is It Scary, I've been so hooked on that song lately! BOTDF being a remix album didn't give some of the really great new songs their opportunity to shine unfortunately :/

I prefer to think of Blood On The Dance Floor as an E.P

slightly hijacking this thread (going back to the discussion on the first page), when I bought my TII tickets I started a best-of list to share with my friends on facebook, very few of whom were fans. For some reason I didn't finish it, then obviously didn't have the heart to for a long time after he died. I finally put it on Facebook right around the time Michael was released, so I'll share it here. (It mostly excludes the Michael tracklist namely because I selected the songs before he died, and because I didn't want to highlight posthumous work)

1.. Workin' Day and Night (Off the Wall, 1979, #3)
In addition to all the information shared about Off the Wall in the previous list item, this song is one of the best kept secrets in the entire discography. Michael included it on both the Badand Dangerous world tours--though it is probably the least "known" song included, everyone goes crazy! (Click the links to watch). It's groovy, sexy (yes, I said "sexy"), and a fantastic R&B/disco fusion track. The percussion is rich and varied, the horns are golden, and we hear a touch, or preview, if you will, of Michael's aggressive shouting vocal style that he showcased on his later work. This track is so bad-ass that Michael sampled himself from this song for Scream (HIStory, 1995). It is THAT good. Off the Wall as a whole album, especially in hindsight, is a fantastic preview of everything Michael had to offer as an artist, and then some.

^ Good stuff. Never heard of WDAN being sampled for Scream though. Which part?

It uses some of the backup vocals. For some reason I'm blanking at the moment, and I'm not where I can listen to Scream to pinpoint, but I've heard them. Check the official credits in the booklet!

reibish;4090266 said:
slightly hijacking this thread (going back to the discussion on the first page), when I bought my TII tickets I started a best-of list to share with my friends on facebook, very few of whom were fans. For some reason I didn't finish it, then obviously didn't have the heart to for a long time after he died. I finally put it on Facebook right around the time Michael was released, so I'll share it here. (It mostly excludes the Michael tracklist namely because I selected the songs before he died, and because I didn't want to highlight posthumous work)

Let me comment on your (interesting) list of the most underrated songs:

“Morphine”:
This song should have been officially released along with a music clip in order to strengthen more its very strong, social message.

“Threatened”:
This song was not the best choice for a closing track. Also, it was overly crowded (in terms of production), unnecessarily noisy & for me a mundane “remake” of the “Thriller” song. If you ask me, “Xscape” (early ‘00s version) could have been a better choice so as to act as a psychological relief at the end of that album.

“Streetwalker”:
This song was (melodically) rather weak & in no way as good as “Another Part Of Me” (these two songs were in contention for making the “BAD” final track listing).

“Come Together”
:
Although it was a passionate performance, indisputably better than the lifeless original, it seemed to be totally out of place (both lyrically & musically) on the “HIStory” album. For me, it was one of the most pointless selections of all time.

“2 Bad”:
The rap performance was annoyingly better than the rest of the song. It is really frustrating, considering the fact that this specific rap was performed by a basketball player…

“Whatever Happens”:
This song is considered to be the best track on that album but (surprisingly) MJ had no involvement in the songwriting (do not get deceived by his name that is listed in the credits)...

mj_frenzy;4090430 said:
“Threatened”:
This song was not the best choice for a closing track. Also, it was overly crowded (in terms of production), unnecessarily noisy & for me a mundane “remake” of the “Thriller” song. If you ask me, “Xscape” (early ‘00s version) could have been a better choice so as to act as a psychological relief at the end of that album.

I am not sure why you say Threatened is a remake of Thriller. Not even close. The only similarity is that both are about a horror theme - but that is only a very shallow, surface reading of it, since Thriller does not have any deeper layers to to it, it's just a fun horror story, but Threatened is so much more than that.

I am not sure why you say Threatened is a remake of Thriller. Not even close. The only similarity is that both are about a horror theme - but that is only a very shallow, surface reading of it, since Thriller does not have any deeper layers to to it, it's just a fun horror story, but Threatened is so much more than that.

I can see how one might say it's production is crowded (I felt a bit that way at the very beginning, grew quickly to love it though) but this^^ 100%.

respect77;4090444 said:

It really annoys me that every horror/gothic themed song post Thriller has been called either a Thriller knockoff or trying to re-capture the Thriller vibe. I mean should we call all love songs the same? Kind off a narrow perspective, esp when Thriller really hasn't any [lyrical] depth to it compared to his later "horror" songs.

mj_frenzy;4090430 said:
“2 Bad”:
The rap performance was annoyingly better than the rest of the song. It is really frustrating, considering the fact that this specific rap was performed by a basketball player…

What? Blasphemous! You really think so? 2Bad is in my top 5 from HIStory. The hardest track on that CD for sure.

I don't know how underrated it is but Blood On The Dancefloor is one of Michael's best songs. The song,the theme, the video, it's just aces. Such a creative piece.

So guys remember...the list was written for NON fans to read, not regular fans. I had to find ways to get them to relate! lol I'll be back with more in depth responses later.

respect77;4090444 said:

It depends on how much deeper can someone really go…

It is more than obvious that even today (30 years after its initial release) there are people who are still unaware of the deeper, allegorical & universal message that “Thriller” conveyed.

To be more specific, zombies represented (song & video) something much deeper. They represented not only all the social concerns (drug addiction, prostitution, gang crime, incurable diseases, extreme poverty, etc.) that always lurked during that period (that’s why the zombies appeared shortly after a carefree tryst) but also all the suppressed, unpleasant emotions that people desperately tried (& still do) not to let them (re)surface (hence their lack of weapons).

Themidwestcowboy;4090536 said:
What? Blasphemous! You really think so? 2Bad is in my top 5 from HIStory. The hardest track on that CD for sure.

It is perfectly natural to disagree considering that “2 Bad” is listed among your most favorite tracks on “HIStory” album…

mj_frenzy;4090564 said:
To be more specific, zombies represented (song & video) something much deeper. They represented not only all the social concerns (drug addiction, prostitution, gang crime, incurable diseases, extreme poverty, etc.) that always lurked during that period (that’s why the zombies appeared shortly after a carefree tryst) but also all the suppressed, unpleasant emotions that people desperately tried (& still do) not to let them (re)surface (hence their lack of weapons).

I very much doubt that Rod Temperton had such intentions with those lyrics. Threatened however very clearly has several layers and the whole "monster came to town" horror story is clearly just an allegory.

In fact, none of his late horror stories are Thriller remakes (Is It Scary, Ghosts, Threatened) IMO. To me they are a lot more interesting than Thriller, exactly because they are more multi-layered in meaning and defintiely more personal and autobiographical.

Last edited:
So guys remember...the list was written for NON fans to read, not regular fans. I had to find ways to get them to relate! lol I'll be back with more in depth responses later.

Great songs. - BUT - why would you want non fans to hear MJ sing a Beatles cover? - It's a great cover, I like it more than the original. - But there are SOOO many MJ songs I woud rather want non fans to hear.

If you replaced Come Together with Is It Scary or Keep the Faith I really like your list.

I always try to make my friends hear some of the not so known MJ songs. :)

Morphine surprises many - and many likes the song actually ! - I also always play Who Is It - but since it was officially released as a single it can not be on your list. :)

I feel the Invincible album is for sure underrated. There are so many wonderful tracks. There's some things about it I don't favor (like the rapping parts because Michael didn't need them, but that was a trait of many 90s/00s r&b song), but it's still a very good album, it's a point in Michael's life where it seems he's found some peace again, and it doesn't get the attention or appreciation it deserves.

Invincible2k1;4090742 said:
What are some of the other issues you found with it?

It’s perfectly normal to ask me because “Invincible” is probably your favorite album.

But, I have already addressed some of its drawbacks in other threads &, most importantly, if I will do it here then this thread is going to take a totally different turn.

mj_frenzy;4090780 said:
It’s perfectly normal to ask me because “Invincible” is probably your favorite album.

But, I have already addressed some of its drawbacks in other threads &, most importantly, if I will do it here then this thread is going to take a totally different turn.

It's tied as my favorite with another.
Anyway, I was just curious. But, I can see how it can change the course of thing quite a bit.

Songs like Who Is It, Give In To Me, Threatened, You Rock My World, Morphine.

IMHO, Who Is It surpasses Billie Jean. It's much more complex, well-written and has much more paranoia-factor to it which makes it a better MJ song. Plus, his beat boxing is just epic. The song also sounds more honest than Billie Jean.
Give In To Me deserves much more popularity. It sounds much more mature and dangerous (pun intended) than Dirty Diana. Plus, there's Slash!
Threatened or Is It Scary could have been the next chapters to thriller - seriously. If they had been released as singles and had come with awesome music videos.
You Rock My World's video is like a fusion of Remember the Time and Smooth Criminal. And the track is much better and considerably less cornier than most of the love songs released around its time of release. How this song was only #10 is downright disrespectful. How the hell could Sony not release it as a commercial single is beyond me.

Albums: everything after Bad. Every single album after Bad is shit on. Dangerous? Allmusic: Bad - 5 stars, Dangerous - 3.5 stars. 3.5 effing stars!? According to critics, NSYNC's "Celebrity" is miles better than "Dangerous" - which is bullshit.
HIStory - same as Dangerous. Invincible was according to the music scene at that time. But no one criticized the same corny lyrics and overproduction in Britney Spear's or NSYNC's albums. Everyone ganged up on Michael because of how tabloids picked on him. They paid more attention to his looks, his celebrity status and personal life than his works.

You Rock My World's video is like a fusion of Remember the Time and Smooth Criminal.

I don't think You Rock My World's music video is that underrated. It's great to watch but what you just said is exactly the problem with it. Unlike the first video from MJ's past 3-4 albums, this first video off Invincible was anything but groundbreaking. It really was just a rehash/fusion of Remember the Time, Smooth Criminal and Dangerous (in regards to his outfit). I do have some other issues with the music video too as well.

It's not a bad music video, it's just that we know and have come to expect much better from Michael. Very much love the song though, certainly one of the highlights off the album.

You Rock My World video also had elements of The Way You Make Me Feel

“You Rock My World” (video) was too predictable & boring (in every way).

Invincible was according to the music scene at that time. But no one criticized the same corny lyrics and overproduction in Britney Spear's or NSYNC's albums. Everyone ganged up on Michael because of how tabloids picked on him. They paid more attention to his looks, his celebrity status and personal life than his works.

I disagree with the timeliness of Invincible. I believe that it was far, far too ahead of its time. I also believe that it was rushed and that's why it doesn't feel right. I love Invincible for what it really could have been. Many of the songs coming out today are a lore more like the stuff on Invincible, IMO. Break of Dawn was probably the only thing in vogue at the time. Nowadays you hear ballads more like Butterflies. Same thing with the opening section of the album. Super aggressive, in your face, white and gray noise for instrumentation, etc. That's a lot more like what is going on today (especially with the rise of new EDM and dubstep).

For example - and I hope I'm not putting my foot in my mouth here about songwriters and who this song got around to - but that Prince Royce song that was a minor hit a few months ago. I remember being immediately reminded of Michael's style and that it sounded like an Invincible reject (I don't know the history of this song in particular, so it may have very well been cut from the album) - but it's on the radio and gaining airplay over 10 years after Invincible was released.

mj_frenzy;4091267 said:
“You Rock My World” (video) was too predictable & boring (in every way).

It may be predictable, but it was awesome in its own unique way. The part where the people in the pub made simple sounds and it matched the beat almost exactly was.. well, it added a sort of fresh and joyous musical detail to the whole thing. Plus, his choreography as always was spot on. It had humor for the sake of having humor; it clearly wasn't trying to be jaw-dropping neither was it giving any important message.

I disagree with the timeliness of Invincible. I believe that it was far, far too ahead of its time. I also believe that it was rushed and that's why it doesn't feel right. I love Invincible for what it really could have been. Many of the songs coming out today are a lore more like the stuff on Invincible, IMO. Break of Dawn was probably the only thing in vogue at the time. Nowadays you hear ballads more like Butterflies. Same thing with the opening section of the album. Super aggressive, in your face, white and gray noise for instrumentation, etc. That's a lot more like what is going on today (especially with the rise of new EDM and dubstep).

For example - and I hope I'm not putting my foot in my mouth here about songwriters and who this song got around to - but that Prince Royce song that was a minor hit a few months ago. I remember being immediately reminded of Michael's style and that it sounded like an Invincible reject (I don't know the history of this song in particular, so it may have very well been cut from the album) - but it's on the radio and gaining airplay over 10 years after Invincible was released.

I agree with you, totally. To appreciate Invincible as an album is to subtract all the hype and ridicule Michael was being subjected to at that time. The album never tried to be another Thriller or Dangerous. It was more like the modernized version of Off The Wall. The only issue with it was the length. If he could have just trimmed the album down to 10 or 11 tracks, it would've been phenomenal. My favorite songs from it were You Rock My World, Whatever Happens, Heartbreaker, Unbreakable, Butterflies, Speechless, Threatened and Don't Walk Away. Add two more songs to these 8 tracks I've listed - Cry and Privacy or 2000 watts and Break of Dawn - and it would've been one of his best albums.

All of his albums sound different from one another, but all of them still sounded like Michael Jackson albums. But with Invincible, I felt like that classic Michael Jackson sound was missing on it for the most part.

Last edited:
I loved the YRMW video. It wasn't mind-blowing, but it was cute and entertaining. I liked the colors and setting. The choreography wasn't phenomenal but I was 14 and got to see something new, really NEW from my hero. Plus I like when they go zzzzzzzz in the middle of it for no reason whatsoever. Lol.

Also all the times, in every video when he does the chin gesture with his hand, literally means "**** you" in sign language. Cracks me up.

I agree with you, totally. To appreciate Invincible as an album is to subtract all the hype and ridicule Michael was being subjected to at that time. The album never tried to be another Thriller or Dangerous. It was more like the modernized version of Off The Wall. The only issue with it was the length. If he could have just trimmed the album down to 10 or 11 tracks, it would've been phenomenal. My favorite songs from it were You Rock My World, Whatever Happens, Heartbreaker, Unbreakable, Butterflies, Speechless, Threatened and Don't Walk Away. Add two more songs to these 8 tracks I've listed - Cry and Privacy or 2000 watts and Break of Dawn - and it would've been one of his best albums.

I agree with you on this, Maq! However, it's not really not the length for me, but the tracks are slower so it feels like it kind of drags out. I'm beginning to appreciate that fact more though because it's his last album of material he approved of being released and it's kind of like two albums melded together as one.

MAQ;4091304 said:
It may be predictable, but it was awesome in its own unique way. The part where the people in the pub made simple sounds and it matched the beat almost exactly was.. well, it added a sort of fresh and joyous musical detail to the whole thing. Plus, his choreography as always was spot on. It had humor for the sake of having humor; it clearly wasn't trying to be jaw-dropping neither was it giving any important message.

It was not a video for a comeback.

Also, I expected something more innovative & inspired, especially on the threshold of a new millennium…

mj_frenzy;4091383 said:
It was not a video for a comeback.

Also, I expected something more innovative & inspired, especially on the threshold of a new millennium…

Maybe Mike didn't want it to be a comeback album? He normally takes a 4-5 year break between all of his albums. It's pretty normal for him (except for OTW-Thriller and HIStory-BOTD). So maybe it wasn't intended to be a comeback album with a comeback video. As I said before, it was a laid back album much like Off the Wall with two albums jammed into one CD. If you look at it from that angle.

Michael didn't need to establish himself as the King of Pop. He already was, and the 2000s was supposed to be a decade where he could relax and enjoy the fruit of his efforts. Instead, the media turned it to be some sort of ceremony for his "return". And when the album came out, the critics labelled it as a failure of a comeback album. Did Michael actually say that it was a comeback? No! "This Is It" was supposed to be a comeback, after an absence from the Music business for around 7 - 8 years.

To enjoy it, take Invincible as an album; not as a sort of 'reclaiming-the-throne' album. As is evident in the first and last track, Michael is aware of his undeniable celebrity status and that he doesn't need to prove himself anymore - he's been doing that for 3 decades. His figures speak for him: best selling album, best selling new jack swing album, best selling double album, best selling remix album, highest grossing concerts, best selling international artist.

He might as well do whatever the eff he wants. Without any good promotion Invincible still sold 5 million copies worldwide in 5 weeks. I hope you get what I'm trying to say :p

Back