Murray Trial - All media reports/articles - Merged - No discussion

Nov 29, 5:11 PM EST
Quotes and reaction to Jackson doc sentencing

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Quotes on the sentencing of Conrad Murray, Michael Jackson's doctor:

- "We are not here to seek revenge. There is nothing you can do today that will bring Michael back. But we will keep the love in our heart that Michael embodied throughout his life. His passion was for unifying the world through the gift of his artistry." - Jackson family statement read by attorney Brian Panish

- "As Michael's parents, we could never have imagined that we would live to witness his passing. It is simply against the natural order of things. As his brothers and sisters, we will never be able to hold, laugh or perform again with our brother Michael. And as his children, we will grow up without a father, our best friend, our playmate and our dad." - Jackson family statement as read by Panish

- "Dr. Murray - whether he's a barista for the rest of his life, whether he's a greeter at Walmart - he's going to be the man who killed Michael Jackson." - defense attorney Ed Chernoff

- "My son is not what they charged him to be. He was a gentle child from the time he was small. " - Milta Rush, Murray's mother

- "It should be made very clear that experimental medicine is not going to be tolerated, and Mr. Jackson was an experiment. The fact that he participated in it does not excuse or lessen the blame of Dr. Murray, who simply could have walked away and said no as countless others did." - Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor

- "I can't even imagine that happening to any of us because of the horrific violation of trust." - Judge Pastor, regarding a recording of an impaired Jackson that authorities recovered from Murray's cell phone

- "This is going to be a real test of our criminal justice system to see if it's meaningful at all," District Attorney Steve Cooley said about Murray's four-year sentence automatically being cut in half

- "The egregious conduct of Dr. Murray when `treating' Michael Jackson was bad enough but when coupled with his outrageous lies in trying to cover up his wrongdoing after Michael was dying and/or had died only served to magnify his criminal actions. Michael Jackson was the one of the greatest entertainers that ever lived and he will be missed by millions." - Statement issued by estate of Michael Jackson

-"For those of us who knew Michael and loved him this is not a day of celebration. It is a day of continued pain because of the loss of a great artist and friend. I do hope it sends a signal to those that would prostitute their professional skills for money and pleasure while violating the oath of their profession." - Rev. Al Sharpton

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-11-29-17-11-25

<!-- START full --><!-- START 24 --><!-- --><ROOT></ROOT><!-- gd2-status-2 --><!-- SpaceID=16009645 loc=NT1 noad --><SCRIPT language=javascript>if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['kdkkf03uvHY-']='&U=12bt9t27l%2fN%3dkdkkf03uvHY-%2fC%3d-1%2fD%3dNT1%2fB%3d-1%2fV%3d0';</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!--QYZ ,;;NT1;16009645;2;-->
Michael Jackson's Doctor Conrad Murray Sentenced to Four Years

<CITE class="byline vcard">By JIM AVILA, ALYSSA NEWCOMB and LUCHINA FISHER | Good Morning America – <ABBR title=2011-11-29T15:18:18Z>18 hrs ag</ABBR></CITE>
<!-- yog-5u -->
An outraged judge sentenced Michael Jackson's doctor Conrad Murray to four years in prison today for involuntary manslaughter in the singer's death.

Judge Michael Pastor called Murray's treatment of Jackson a "cycle of horrible medicine" and "medicine madness."

Murray, 58, treated Jackson like a "medical experiment," the judge said, which factored into his decision to hand down the maximum sentence of four years, which the Jackson family had requested.

Jail overcrowding could result in the four-year sentence being cut at least in half.

Jackson's parents Katherine and Joe, and siblings Jermaine, LaToya and Randy were present at today's sentencing, but did not speak, instead allowing family friend and attorney Brian Panish to read a statement on behalf of Jackson's three children and family.

In the statement, Jackson's children told the Los Angeles court that they lost their "father, best friend, and playmate" when the singer died, but stressed they were not seeking "revenge".
The statement asked the judge to "impose a sentence that reminds physicians they cannot sell their services to the highest bidder."

Michael Jackson's Doctor Sentenced to Four Years

"As Michael's parents, we never imagined we would live to witness his passing," Panish read, on behalf of the singer's parents Katherine and Joe Jackson. "There is no way to describe the loss of our beloved brother, son, father and friend."

The judge's tone grew sterner as he gave a scathing review of Murray's actions while treating Jackson, saying the doctor "violated his sworn oath for money, fame, prestige." He said there was a "recurring, continuous pattern of deceit, lies," and cited a "longstanding failure of character" by Murray.

Murray "unquestionably violated the trust and confidence of his patient," Pastor said.
The judge also mentioned the tape the Murray made of a drugged up Michael Jackson who was slurring his words so badly he could barely be understood and suggested that Murray was contemplating a new tactic if he needed at a later date.

"That tape recording was Dr. Murray's insurance policy. It was designed to record his patient surreptitiously at that patient's most vulnerable point," Pastor said.

The judge called the recording a "horrific violation of trust," and asked, "What value would be placed on that tape recording if it were to be released?"

Prosecutor David Walgren read from a statement Katherine Jackson made shortly after her son's death, telling of how the family's world "collapsed" after Jackson died.

Walgren described how Jackson's daughter Paris was crying at the hospital.

"I want to go with you," she told her father after he had passed.

"He trusted he would be cared for by Conrad Murray so he would see another day," Walgren said.

He mentioned that Jackson had plans to go into film making with his children, a passion they had recently developed.

The Jackson family watched from the packed court room.

Murray's defense attorney pleaded with Pastor to consider the cardiologist's humble beginnings and good deeds, stressing that this was an unfortunate, tragic chapter in the doctor's life.

"Whether he's a barista or a greeter at Walmart, he's still going to be the man who killed Michael Jackson," Ed Chernoff said.

The defense lawyer also put some of the blame on Michael Jackson. "Michael Jackson was a drug seeker... He was a powerful, famous and wealthy individual."
<!--pagebreak-->
Murray sat expressionless throughout the proceeding, only turning once to mouth "I love you" to his girlfriend after the sentence was handed down. As he exited the court room, Murray blew his girlfriend Nicole Alvarez a kiss.

The cardiologist will spend the next four years behind bars.

Pastor began the proceeding by rejecting a motion by Murray's legal team that cameras be evicted from the courtroom during his sentencing.

The district attorney asked for the maximum sentence of four years as well as $100 million -- the singer's projected earnings from the 50-show "This Is It" tour -- payable to the Jackson estate. The prosecution also asked Murray to pay $1.8 million in costs associated with Jackson's memorial service and funeral.

The judge set a Jan. 23 date for determining restitution, citing the high amount.

Lisa Franklin, who was an alternate juror, told Good Morning America that it was clear Murray did not have the necessary safeguards in place when things went wrong.

"The three biggest things for us were the 911 call, not calling 911. That was a big issue, and not having the medical equipment in the room to put somebody under sedation and leaving the room," Franklin said.

Before the sentencing, Brain Oxman, the Jackson family attorney, said the clan has experienced a "whole mixture of terrible emotions." Originally, the family, including matriarch Katherine Jackson, wanted the book thrown at Murray. Now, post-conviction, Katherine and daughter La Toya are saying, "It doesn't change anything," Oxman said.

"He's been serving his sentence since June 25, and it's more powerful than anything the judge can do to him," said Oxman, who first met Murray in UCLA's emergency room where doctors tried but failed to revive Jackson. "I saw a man who's life completely flashed before him. I don't see him as a cold, calculating killer. He did some horribly dumb things."
http://news.yahoo.com/michael-jacks...818530.html;_ylt=AjmC8ZrOtyu29GWKhfqt8FGuR5Z4

Conrad Murray's Mom She Doesn't Know Jack (Daniels) About Her Son
1129-conrad-murray-tmz-drinks-1.jpg

Note to Conrad Murray's mom. You were wrong when you told Judge Michael Pastor your son never had a drink in his life, and we have the proof -- 80 proof.

Murray's mom wrote a letter to Judge Michael Pastor before his sentencing, pleading for mercy for her son and claiming Conrad is a good person who "never drank alcohol, took drugs or smoked cigarettes in his life."

But here's the deal. We got this pic of the Doc, who was at a holiday bash in Vegas in the late '90's. You see Murray triple fisting. People at the party tell us Murray was drinking champagne and cocktails all night long.

At least he won't get extra jail time for this lie.
http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/30/conrad-murray-mom-alcohol/

Secret audio helped sway judge to send Jackson doctor to jail for singer’s death: By Associated Press,

<!-- /byline --><ARTICLE>LOS ANGELES — The voice of Michael Jackson helped put the man who killed him behind bars.

It wasn’t the familiar voice of hits such as “Billie Jean” and “Thriller,” but the slow, slurring recording of the singer that was found on his physician’s cell phone that helped convince a judge to sentence the doctor to jail for four years.

</ARTICLE>
<!--/article-side-rail--><ARTICLE>The four-minute recording was one of the blockbuster revelations of Dr. Conrad Murray’s involuntary manslaughter trial, a previously unknown piece of evidence that revealed an impaired Jackson describing his ambitions and aspirations as his personal physician listened.

It was also one of the trial’s most haunting moments, and stuck in the mind of Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor as he considered in recent days how to sentence Murray for causing Jackson’s unexpected death in June 2009. It wasn’t the only thing the judge considered — he unwaveringly assailed the cardiologist’s decisions and ethics for nearly 30 minutes on Tuesday — but helped convince Pastor to give Murray the maximum sentence.

Jurors unanimously convicted Murray on Nov. 7, but it was up to Pastor on Tuesday to sentence the doctor and explain his punishment.

“Of everything I heard and saw during the course of the trial, one aspect of the evidence stands out the most, and that is the surreptitious recording of Michael Jackson by his trusted doctor,” Pastor said.

Murray’s attorneys never explained in court why the recording was made, and prosecutors said they do not know what substances Jackson was under the influence of when the audio was recorded six weeks before his death. Murray had been giving the singer nightly doses of the anesthetic propofol to help him sleep.

The doctor’s time in a Los Angeles jail will be automatically reduced to less than two years due to laws imposed due to California’s prison overcrowding and budget woes.

Murray, 58, will have plenty of time if he wants to consider Pastor’s harsh rebuke of him. The Houston-based cardiologist will be confined to a one-man cell and kept away from other prisoners.

With Jackson’s family and Murray’s mother and girlfriend looking on, the judge called the doctor’s actions a “disgrace to the medical profession,” and said he displayed a “failure of character” and had showed a complete lack of remorse for his significant role in causing Jackson’s death.

“It should be made very clear that experimental medicine is not going to be tolerated, and Mr. Jackson was an experiment,” Pastor said. “The fact that he participated in it does not excuse or lessen the blame of Dr. Murray, who simply could have walked away and said no as countless others did.

“But Dr. Murray was intrigued with the prospect of this money-for-medicine madness,” the judge said.

Defense attorney J. Michael Flanagan said after the sentencing hearing that Murray made the recording accidentally while playing with a new application on his iPhone. He deleted it, but a computer investigator recovered it from the doctor’s phone after Jackson’s death.
Pastor said he believed the recording was made with more sinister intent.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...1/30/gIQAFtmZBO_story.html?wprss=rss_national
</ARTICLE>

Nov 29 2011 7:37 PM EST 895
Conrad Murray Sentence 'Not Enough,' MJ Fans Say
But other Michael Jackson supporters outside L.A. courthouse tell MTV News 'justice has been served.'
By Katie Byrne, with reporting by Vanessa White Wolf

LOS ANGELES &#8212; During the trial of Dr. Conrad Murray, Michael Jackson's fans have been as much a fixture at the courthouse as the Jackson family. When Murray was sentenced to four years in jail Tuesday (November 29), MTV News spoke with those loyal fans outside the court to see if the maximum sentence was an apt punishment.

"Four years &#8212; not enough, but at least something," said one fan, sporting a red jacket in tribute to MJ. "And where I come from, a little something is always better than nothing."

One pair of friends might have been wearing matching Thriller T-shirts, but their opinions on Murray's sentence certainly didn't match. "If four years is the maximum and he got the maximum &#8212; I know she's not happy, but I'm happy," one of the women said, gesturing to her less-than-pleased companion. "I feel like justice was served and that L.A. can now be proud and stand tall."

"It's better than nothing, but it's not even close to justice," said another fan, wearing Jackson's trademark fedora and sequined glove. "Not only was [Murray] negligent; he let the man die. It's unconscionable. He didn't even try. How would a heart doctor not know how to give CPR? It's insane."

The cardiologist, who was found guilty of one felony count of involuntary manslaughter November 7, was facing up to four years in state prison in the death of the pop icon, but due to recent changes to alleviate overcrowding in California prisons, the judge in the case said he was unable to send the doctor to state prison for his crime. On top of that, legal expert Mike Cavalluzzi told MTV News that Murray will likely serve less than half of his four-year sentence.

Those legal loopholes concerned a female fan outside the courthouse, but she was also happy that the maximum punishment was doled out.

"The only thing I'm worried about now, with the overcrowding of the jails, he might get one year and house arrest," she told MTV News. "I'm just hoping it'll be four years, that's what I'm praying. I'm just glad that justice has been served today, and I'm glad justice can be served to the family and to the fans, and everybody around today will be happy and celebrate that justice has been served. And I'm sure Michael's looking from heaven right now."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1675105/conrad-murray-sentencing-michael-jackson-fans.jhtml

Murray patient: 'I will never turn my back on him'
by Courtney Zubowski / KHOU 11 News
khou.com Posted on November 29, 2011 at 6:20 PM

HOUSTON&#8212;About a half dozen of Dr. Conrad Murray&#8217;s patients gathered at Houston's Antioch Missionary Baptist Church to watch Tuesday&#8217;s sentencing.

A Los Angeles judge gave Murray the maximum four-year sentence after calling him a "disgrace to the medical profession."

Earlier this month, jurors convicted Murray of involuntary manslaughter for his role in the death of pop legend Michael Jackson.

Patients from Murray&#8217;s Acres Home clinic thought the judge&#8217;s sentence was too harsh.
"They are going to try and bring Dr. Murray down as low as they can and I will never turn my back on him. If he walks back here today, he will still be my doctor," said Ruby Moseley who testified during his trial.

Murray&#8217;s pastor, Rev. F.N. Williams, who is also his patient, said he wasn&#8217;t surprised by the sentence because he considers Murray a scapegoat.
"Los Angeles has to have a show. They lost O.J. Simpson in Los Angeles so here&#8217;s their opportunity to get one, so they got one," said Rev. Williams.

Rev. Williams&#8217; son, who is also a pastor at the church, believes the judge&#8217;s decision and remarks before the sentencing were racially motivated.
"I doubt very seriously if Dr. Murray were of another ethnicity that Judge Pastor would have responded the same way he did," said Rev. F.N. Williams, Jr.

Murray will serve his time in the Los Angeles County Jail. Because of overcrowding, the sheriff said he will likely serve less than half of the four-year sentence.

http://www.khou.com/news/neighborho...will-never-turn-my-back-on-him-134715958.html

JERMAINE GIVES AN INTERVIEW TO THE SUN NEWSPAPER

Jermaine: I hope Conrad Murray is haunted by what he’s done

Brother's despair as Michael Jackson's doctor
gets four years

'True justice shouldn't feel this empty' ... Jermaine Jackson outside court

World Exclusive
By PETE SAMSON, US Editor

Published: Today at 01:06

AS much as the headlines may say otherwise, what happened yesterday was not justice.

True justice shouldn't feel as empty and pointless as this.

"Justice" is not having some clown of a doctor act so criminally negligent with Michael's life that he ends up killing him . . . then receives such a pitiful sentence.

That's not natural justice.

That's "justice" on paper for the prosecutors and courts to record as another conviction secured.

For us as a family, it feels like justice — in the true, hard-hitting, let-the-punishment-match-the-crime sense of the word — has been denied by a technicality.

Let me tell you what justice should have — and could have — looked like: Dr Conrad Murray charged with, and convicted of, second-degree murder and sent down for decades. A life incarcerated for the life lost because of his reckless choices, inept skills and breathtaking disregard of the human life in his solo care.

As someone who sat through the evidence at trial before Murray was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, I know there was enough legal justification to charge this case as second-degree murder.

In the US, the malice is deemed "implied" if a person's negligence is so unbelievably reckless. As Murray's was.

I also know the District Attorney's office in LA seriously considered this route. But they opted for the less risky, more conviction-likely, safer option when the overwhelming evidence screamed for a stronger charge.

That is why, when I watched Murray being sentenced at LA Superior Court yesterday, I felt more like shrugging my shoulders than punching the air.

Because I was witnessing the due process go through the motions for the soft sentence that involuntary manslaughter carries.

I don't blame Judge Michael Pastor. The maximum sentence could only be four years by law. From the start, this case, its truth and the wider circumstances leading up to Michael's death, have been placed in a straitjacket.

Judge Pastor's hands were tied and he gave him the maximum sentence, but four years feels woefully insufficient.

What I appreciated was how the judge "disassociated" himself from all suggestions that Michael would have died with or without Murray's involvement.

That lie, that Michael somehow self-administered or contributed to his own death, was sent to jail with the rest of Murray's lies. I just hope that for every long day that Murray does serve in jail, he is haunted by what he's done in the same way we've been haunted by what he didn't do — keep Michael healthy and alive.

Murray's recklessness has robbed our family of a son, brother and uncle.

It has deprived Prince, Paris and Blanket of a wonderful father who doted on them.

It has deprived the world of a genius artist whose music would have kept on evolving.
And it denied Michael the greatest comeback of all time — the comeback he had imagined for such a long time.

He was on the verge of turning over a new leaf in his life.

The This Is It concerts in London were just the beginning of a five-year plan to turn things around and restore some financial security. He was even finalising a $15million (£9.6million) downpayment on a home in Las Vegas.

This payment was one of the last things he spoke about at rehearsals before heading home for that ill-fated, sleepless night.

Murray's recklessness denied Michael the new, exciting future he had his heart set on. I have seen some ill-informed reactions that have painted Murray as some kind of "scapegoat" and that my brother's death was due to his "addiction to drugs".

None of which is true — as all evidence proved.

For the record, Michael had no dependency on the painkiller demerol at the time of his death, as was claimed in court.

It's true that he had a known drug dependency in 1993 and it continued to mess with him for almost a decade. But circumstances in 2001 did not kill him in 2009, despite Murray's defence team doing its best to link the past to the future.

Bottom line: There was no demerol found in his house or in his body. So much for him being "an addict".

Michael, a chronic insomniac, died because he wanted to sleep, not because he wanted to get high, and he trusted Murray to ensure this happened by administering an unorthodox measure — the anaesthetic propofol.

Michael regarded this sleep-inducing drug as the only effective solution to an insomnia triggered by touring.

Propofol is like a gun — safe in the right hands but in the wrong hands, it's deadly. Michael placed his life in Murray's wrong hands.

One of the toughest aspects of the trial was realising how saveable Michael was.
Had Murray monitored him, instead of wandering off to ring his girlfriends, he'd have seen that Michael had stopped breathing.

Had he had the standard life-saving equipment and rang 911 and not stalled for 15 inexplicable minutes, there was always a real chance of life. Had he not kept hidden from paramedics the vital fact he'd administered propofol. Had he been a trained professional who knew what he was doing, Michael would still be alive today.

I remain haunted by the endless list of "Had he done this . . . "

I also remain haunted by the wider truths that hide beneath the surface of the Murray case.
This extra, disturbing information is what I discovered when writing my tribute memoir You Are Not Alone: Michael, Through A Brother's Eyes.

I received some criticism for the timing of the book, but I not only wanted to document the truth about Michael as a human being, I wanted fans to understand what we, the family, have learned about what really happened at the This Is It rehearsals.

It was here — behind the scenes and unseen in the official movie — that Michael's body first issued distress signals about the gradual poisoning by propofol.

It was being administered to such an extent that it turned my brother's body toxic. He was, in effect, a dead man walking long before he died.

Michael collapsed on stage, had to be helped up steps, half his body was hot and half was cold and he didn't even have the strength to lift a lightweight prop during a routine for Thriller.

Something was seriously wrong, but a collective attitude of "the show must go on" prevailed. No doubt assisted by Murray's lies that Michael was in fine health.
<!-- null --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="none">tagDart.wo({url:'http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adj/bizarre.thesun.co.uk/mainhomepage;pos=mpu;sz=300x250;cat=;tile=2;ord=1322667933913;'});</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="none"></SCRIPT><!-- JavaScript Only --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="none"></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="none"></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
I think the story behind his decline in health and his treatment by certain people — topics that were never fully explored at trial because of the narrow scope of evidence — is troubling.

From what eyewitnesses shared with me for the book, too many people kept their eye on the prize of a money-spinning concert and lost sight of the frail human being at its centre.

Based on the dire condition Michael was in, This Is It should have been shut down by June 20. In other words, he was saveable long before June 25 when he died.

For us as a family, this remains part of a wider neglect of Michael. It is within the arena of a wrongful death civil lawsuit against the concert promoter AEG which is where some wider truths will, I hope, be examined.

The conviction and sentencing of Murray is the first step towards a greater justice.
Nothing can bring Michael back. Nothing can change the meagre reality surrounding Murray's sentencing. But it is our duty to his memory to bring out the truth of what happened to him.
Maybe then we'll start to feel better vindicated. Maybe then we'll feel less empty.

Maybe then we'll be able to rest, knowing "truth" is sometimes the definition of true justice.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...onrad-Murray-is-haunted-by-what-hes-done.html

Conrad Murray: Prosecutors, Michael Jackson&#8217;s family weigh in on sentence
By Sarah Anne Hughes

Posted at 10:15 AM ET, 11/30/2011

Conrad Murray was given the maximum sentence possible Tuesday for his role in the death of Michael Jackson: four years in state prison.

But Murray will likely serve just half of his sentence for involuntary manslaughter &#8212; handed down by Judge Michael Pastor after a strong reprimand &#8212; in a county jail due to overcrowding.

Some of Jackson&#8217;s family members do not think that even four years behind bars is enough time.
&#8220;Four years is not enough for someone's life,&#8221; Jackson&#8217;s mother Katherine told KTLA. &#8220;It won't bring him back.&#8221; Her son Jermaine Jackson added, &#8220;100 years won't be enough.&#8221;

Prosecutors David Walgren and Debra Brazil appeared on the &#8220;Today&#8221; show Wednesday, where they seemed at peace with the sentence. &#8220;The actual time spent behind bars is not a reflection of the seriousness of Conrad Murray's conduct,&#8221; Brazil told Savannah Guthrie.
When asked if he was disappointed that the doctor may only serve two years, Walgren said Murray &#8220;certainly deserves the full weight of the punishment, and he certainly deserves the full four years.&#8221; He added that it was the sheriff who determined how much time Murray actually serves.
Guthrie&#8217;s &#8220;Today&#8221; interview with Murray, filmed days before he was convicted, actually contributed to his sentence. Murray refused to take any responsibility for Jackson&#8217;s death, calling the King of Pop an addict and a liar.
Walgren conceded that the interview was a bad idea: &#8220;I think it showed a complete failure to recognize what he did.&#8221;

Murray&#8217;s ex-girlfriend Nicole Alvarez, however, told TMZ that Murray had been &#8220;mournful for the past two-and-a-half years.&#8221;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...1/30/gIQA14CkCO_blog.html?wprss=celebritology

Prosecutors OK with Conrad Murray serving less than four years
By Courtney Hazlett

Dr. Conrad Murray received a maximum four-year sentence on Tuesday for his role in the death of Michael Jackson, and the deputy district attorneys who prosecuted Murray, David Walgren and Deborah Brazil, appeared on TODAY exclusively Wednesday with their reactions to the sentence.

The sentence came after the judge proffered a 24-minute dressing down of Murray, and the harsh tone did not come as a surprise to the prosecution. "He (the judge) had sat through the trial, had heard all of the evidence, he was one of the most informed people in regards to the facts of the case, and I think being aware of all the facts and all the evidence, he was rightfully offended by the actions of Conrad Murray and was expressing that," Walgren said.

Although Murray received the maximum sentence of four years, he is unlikely to serve anything close to that amount of time, a fact that the prosecution does not find disappointing. Brazil told Savannah Guthrie, "The judge clearly sent a message to Dr. Murray as well as any other physician by imposing the maximum sentence. The actual time spent behind bars is not a reflection of the seriousness of Conrad Murray's conduct."

Walgren agreed: "I think he certainly deserves the full weight of the punishment and he certainly deserves the full four years ... How much time he actually serves at the end of the day will be up to the sheriff."

Although the facts of the case were presented at trial, Murray gave the prosecution and judge fodder from outside the courtroom in the form of a documentary about the case, and accompanying interview with Guthrie -- an action that might have ultimately hurt him at sentencing Tuesday. "I certainly don't think it helped him," Walgren said. "I think the fact that in that interview he expressed a complete lack of remorse, a complete lack of personal responsibility, he blamed it again on Michael Jackson rather than himself ... that he Conrad Murray was the victim and not Michael Jackson, I think it showed a complete failure to recognize what he did."

http://scoop.today.msnbc.msn.com/_n...th-conrad-murray-serving-less-than-four-years

Last edited:
Conrad Murray to be released from jail by Christmas?
Dec. 1, 2011 01:07 AM

The medic was sentenced to four years incarceration Tuesday for the involuntary manslaughter of Michael Jackson but those close to him believe he could be allowed to serve most of the time under house arrest because of the non violent nature of his crime.

A source told RadarOnline.com: "Dr. Murray's lawyers are actually relieved that Judge Pastor didn't sentence him to community service, like Lindsay Lohan is doing at the morgue. That would have been an absolute nightmare for him, as he would certainly be mocked, and it wouldn't have been safe for him to be picking up trash on the freeway or cleaning up graffiti.
"Judge Pastor actually did Murray a favor by maxing him out."

Because of overcrowding in California correctional facilities, Dr. Murray was sent to Los Angeles County Jail but the decision to release him on house arrest would have to be approved by Sheriff Lee Baca.

The source added: "The Sheriff will determine when Dr. Murray will be released on house arrest. Dr. Murray is hoping that he will be released by Christmas. His lawyers have told him that is a real possibility

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/...d-murray-released-from-jail-by-christmas.html

Conrad Murray : I'm Glad I Did that Documentary

Conrad Murray doesn't regret for a second doing the documentary that infuriated Judge Michael Pastor, because he wanted the public to hear his side of the story.

Murray -- who declined to testify in his trial -- spoke with friends and family after the sentence. We're told Murray said he knew he was going to get the maximum sentence, so it didn't bother him that he became Judge Michael Pastor's human punching bag over the things he said in the documentary -- in particular, trashing Michael Jackson and not accepting any blame for his death.

And we know more about Murray's reaction to the sentence. He's saying he's "surprisingly upbeat" about the sentence, telling one friend, "I'm just relieved it's finally over," adding, "Don't worry, I'm fine, and I'll be out soon."

http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/29/conrad-murray-reacts-to-sentence-documentary/

Michael Jackson legacy expected to thrive despite shadow of drug abuse cast at doctor’s trial

<!-- /article tool bar -->By Associated Press, Updated: Friday, December 2, 8:28 AM

<!-- /byline --><ARTICLE>LOS ANGELES — The private world of Michael Jackson, fiercely shielded by the superstar in life, was exposed in the trial of Dr. Conrad Murray. But rather than suffering harm from revelations of drug use, experts say Jackson’s legacy and posthumous earning power will survive any damage done and could actually grow after he was portrayed as a victim of a money-hungry doctor.

Jackson died before he could launch a series of highly anticipated comeback concerts in London as he tried to regain the towering status he enjoyed when he released the “Thriller” album in 1983.
</ARTICLE>
<!--/article-side-rail--><ARTICLE>But his death did breathe new life into record sales and boosted other projects to generate hundreds of millions of dollars for his estate, even as his already tarnished personal life took another hit by revelations about his drug use.

Jackson zoomed to the top of the Forbes Magazine list of highest earning dead celebrities and his executors are moving quickly on more projects designed to burnish the performer’s image and expand the inheritance of his three children.

A Cirque du Soleil extravaganza, “Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour” opens in Las Vegas this weekend, a precursor to a permanent installation at the Mandalay Bay Hotel, and fans are expected to flock there for a “Fan Fest” exhibit of Jackson memorabilia.

After the trial, a judge made it clear that the defense effort to cast Jackson as the villain in the case had been a miserable failure. Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter, called a reckless opportunist and sentenced to the maximum four years in prison.

Judge Michael Pastor also blasted Murray for experimenting on the pop star with the operating-room anesthetic propofol to help him battle debilitating insomnia, even though the drug was never meant to be used in a private home.

Some experts say the revelations made the King of Pop look more like a regular person coping with a difficult challenge.

“In the final analysis, not a lot of damage was done,” Jackson biographer J. Randy Taraborelli said. “I think the trial humanized Michael Jackson. It presented him as a human being with problems.”

As evidence unfolded, “It definitely made our hearts go out to Michael Jackson. He was a person suffering a great deal and not getting the help he needed,” the author said.

Taraborelli said the entertainer’s family, fans and estate executors were concerned before the trial that testimony would paint Jackson as responsible for his own death while resurrecting past accusations of child molestation and bizarre behavior by the King of Pop.

But the judge limited testimony and evidence to Jackson’s final months and specifically ruled out any mention of the 2005 molestation trial.

Thomas Mesereau Jr., the attorney who won Jackson’s acquittal in that case, believes the Murray trial did damage Jackson’s reputation but said the impact would likely be short term.

“It certainly didn’t help to have all this testimony about drug use,” Mesereau said. “But as time passes, people will focus more on his music and the negatives will fade.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...2/02/gIQA9EvlJO_story.html?wprss=rss_national

Sherrif has already said murray doesnt qualify for house arrest and will serve the full two years

..Why Conrad Murray, a Convicted Felon, Remains on the Medicare Payroll
By Avik Roy | Forbes &#8211; Wed, Nov 30, 2011..

Yesterday in Los Angeles, Dr. Conrad Murray was sentenced to four years in prison for helping to kill Michael Jackson by prescribing him propofol, an industrial-strength anesthetic, for Jackson&#8217;s insomnia. California Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor called Murray a &#8220;disgrace to the medical profession&#8221; who had committed a &#8220;horrific violation of trust.&#8221; Dr. Murray was convicted on November 7, and the State of California suspended his medical license back in January. But not to worry: Murray can continue to get paid by Medicare.

This factoid is one of many contained in a letter that Senators Orrin Hatch (R., Utah) and Tom Coburn (R., Okla.) sent yesterday to Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius. In September, Hatch and Coburn sent Medicare chief Donald Berwick a list of 34 doctors and non-physician practitioners who have either been convicted of a felony, or pled guilty to a felony &#8220;generally considered detrimental to the Medicare program,&#8221; but retained their ability to bill Medicare for patient services, and/or to write orders and referrals.

&#8220;In response to our findings,&#8221; write Hatch and Coburn, &#8220;CMS confirmed that 37 individuals who were participating in the Medicare program were convicted of a felony. However, CMS did not confirm that they would revoke any single physician or non-physician practitioner identified for such crime.&#8221;

Berwick languidly responded that Medicare is &#8220;implementing an automated screening contract to help address the challenge of continuously monitoring provider licensure status,&#8221; but conceded that, in the meantime, &#8220;there are significant challenges with obtaining licensure information in real-time for all Medicare providers and suppliers.&#8221; But Conrad Murray lost his license in January. Today is the last day of November. Only in Washington does ten-plus months get called &#8220;real-time.&#8221;

Hatch and Coburn pointed out that CMS doesn&#8217;t appear to have built the basic infrastructure needed to root out felons. &#8220;CMS confirmed our understanding,&#8221; they write, &#8220;that it does not have basic data sharing agreements or performance metrics to share felony indictment or conviction data with the Department of Justice, the Internal Revenue Service, Office of the Inspector General within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS OIG), or State Officials.&#8221; In other words, Medicare doesn&#8217;t know whether or not the people they send taxpayers&#8217; checks to are criminals.

And we wonder why Medicare and Medicaid lose trillions of dollars to fraud?

http://news.yahoo.com/why-conrad-murray-convicted-felon-remains-medicare-payroll-142022993.html

Dr. Conrad Murray files appeal notice
By Alan Duke, CNN
December 3, 2011 -- Updated 0513 GMT (1313 HKT)

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Dr. Conrad Murray filed notice Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court that he will appeal his conviction last month of involuntary manslaughter in the death of Michael Jackson.

Murray was sentenced to four years in the Los Angeles County Jail on Tuesday, three weeks after a jury found him guilty of being responsible for Jackson's 2009 death.

"He disagrees with the jury's findings and the pretrial rulings made by the court," defense lawyer Nareg Gourjian said Friday.

Murray, who signed his own appeal notice, has not hired a lawyer to represent him in the appellate process, Gourjian said.
The appeal notice was filed "In Pro Per," legalese that means he's representing himself. The return address on the document is the jail where Murray has resided since his conviction.
It's not unusual for appeal notices to be filed in that manner before a lawyer who specializes in the appellate process is chosen, Gourjian said.

Murray's trial lawyers have complained that a series of pretrial decisions by Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor limited their ability to defend the doctor.
Judge Michael Pastor blocked their efforts to introduce evidence and testimony about Jackson's past drug use and his finances.

The defense argued that Jackson's fear of financial ruin if his comeback concerts were canceled led him to self-administered the drugs that killed him in a desperate search for sleep.

The judge did not allow them to call to the stand other doctors they believe would testify they used propofol to put Jackson to sleep for years before his death.

Murray's four-year sentence, unless overturned on appeal, is expected to keep the doctor in jail for only two years since state rules give him credit for two days served for every one day behind bars.
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/12/02/j...d-murray-appeal/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Conrad Murray to appeal Conviction
Sunday, December 04, 2011 » 02:10am

Dr. Conrad Murray is to appeal his conviction for the involuntary manslaughter of Michael Jackson.
The medic - who was sentenced to four years behind bars last week after he was ruled responsible for the 2009 death of the pop superstar - has filed an official appeal to challenge the decision 'pro per', meaning he will represent himself.

In preparation for the case, Dr. Murray - who is currently serving his sentence at the Men's Central Jail in Los Angeles - has requested preliminary hearing and trial transcripts, all written motions, and jury instructions, and is said to be 'confident' the appeal will see him vindicated for the crime.

Nareg Gourjian - one of the lawyers who represented him in the manslaughter trail, who he is still in frequent contact with - told TMZ: 'This case presents a gold mine of issues for any appellate lawyer. Dr. Murray is confident that the Court of Appeal will vindicate him.'

Despite the appeal, it is thought the medic could be out of jail by Christmas and allowed to serve most of his sentence under house arrest because of the non violent nature of his crime.
A source recently said: 'The Sheriff will determine when Dr. Murray will be released on house arrest. Dr. Murray is hoping that he will be released by Christmas. His lawyers have told him that is a real possibility.'

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Ent...onrad_Murray_to_appeal_conviction_692649.html

Conrad Murray WILL appeal conviction for Michael Jackson death
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 3:37 AM on 3rd December 2011

The doctor convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the death of Michael Jackson has filed a notice that he intends to appeal.
The pop singer's former physician Dr Conrad Murray was sentenced to four years behind bars last week - and it was widely-anticipated he would appeal.

Now Murray has signed a one-page document, filed in Los Angeles on Friday, seeking all records and transcripts from the case.
Fight: Conrad Murray was sentenced for involuntary manslaughter after a six-week trial giving the most detailed account yet of Jackson's final hours. He has now filed a notice that he intends to appeal
It does not indicate the basis on which Murray will argue to overturn his conviction.
'He disagrees with the jury's findings and the pretrial rulings made by the court,' defense lawyer Nareg Gourjian told CNN.
Murray filed the appeal in 'pro per', which means he is representing himself rather than using an attorney, according to TMZ.
Appeal notices are often filed in this way before a lawyer who specialises in the appellate process is chosen, Gourjian said.

Lawyer J. Michael Flanagan said the Houston cardiologist can no longer afford private legal help.
'There's probably going to be a restitution decision that puts him underwater,' Flanagan explained.
'We're helping him with the appeal paperwork, and eventually there's a possibility we might be appointed to work on his appeal. We know the case and think we're the logical people to be appointed, but you never know.'

Murray's challenge will be heard by a state appeals court in Los Angeles if he files an opening brief at a later date.
The appeal follows a six-week trial that detailed Jackson's final hours.

The jury heard how the cardiologist administered the powerful anesthetic propofol to treat the singer's insomnia.
During the investigation into Jackson's June 2009 death, Murray told detectives he had been giving Jackson nightly doses of propofol to help him sleep as he prepared for a series of comeback concerts.
Murray declined to testify during his trial but participated in a documentary in which he said he didn't consider himself guilty of any crime and blamed Jackson for entrapping him into administering the drug.
Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor blasted Murray as a 'danger to the community', slamming him for playing 'Russian roulette' with the singer and using him as an 'experiment'.
Several members of Jackson's family, including mother Katherine and siblings LaToya, Jermaine, Randy and Rebbie, attended the proceedings.

Following the sentencing, Jackson's mother insisted it was 'not enough'.
Katherine Jackson, leaving the Los Angeles courtroom, thanked the prosecutors and Judge Michael Pastor for delivering justice after the trial that saw Murray sentenced for her son's death.
But she said the jail time would never bring her son back to life.
Speaking to KTLA, she said: 'Four years is not enough for someone's life. It won't bring him back but at least he got the maximum. I thought the judge was very, very fair and I thank him.
'Four years won't bring my son back, but that's the law. So the judge gave him the maximum, so I thank the judge and I thank the prosecutors and I think everything went well.'
Jermaine Jackson, who was by his mother's side as the family exited, echoed her remarks to waiting reporters.
'One hundred years is not enough,' he said.

Nicole Alvarez, Murray's girlfriend and mother of his son, disagreed. She told TMZ that Judge Michael Pastor's decision to give him the maximum sentence was 'ridiculous,' especially since the judge said Murray didn't show any remorse.
Ms Alvarez said that Murray has been 'mournful for the past two years.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tion-Michael-Jackson-death.html#ixzz1fURPVwv4

Last edited:
Conrad Murray's Delusional Appeal: What It Means
Posted: 12/ 5/11 10:19 AM ET

While sitting inside his 5x8 ft jail cell, Dr. Conrad Murray should be repenting for his crime. Instead, he's plotting his escape by filing to appeal his conviction. Even after a jury found him guilty of involuntary manslaughter, Murray is still convinced of his own innocence, convinced he is the victim of some sort of conspiracy by the prosecutors and the public.

Even more delusional than his belief that he is innocent is his belief that he can successfully represent himself. Even more offensive than his total lack of remorse is his expectation that the public foot the bill for his appeal.
Murray is most likely representing himself because he no longer has the money to pay his attorneys. While his defense team is required to represent him through the trial, even if they weren't getting paid after some point, they are not required to represent him on appeal. Since Murray cannot afford an attorney, the public has to pay for the transcripts of the trial and any other costs to build up his case. So not only is Murray plotting his escape, but he's doing it all on the taxpayer's dollar.

However, Murray's delusional appeal attempt is, for the most part, a lost cause. The odds are, Murray will be out of jail before the Court of Appeal is even able to rule on his case. It takes several months just to put the record and transcripts for an appeal together, and it usually takes about two years for the Court of Appeal to rule. While Murray has been sentenced to a four-year prison term, in all likelihood, he will spend just two years behind bars due to prison overcrowding in California, so he probably will never get to argue his case.

However, if Murray is still behind bars when the Court of Appeal hears oral arguments, he'll get exactly what he wants: his moment in the spotlight... but not completely. While the press can attend, cameras are not allowed inside the Court of Appeal.

As Murray spends his days inside the LA County Jail's law library writing up his appeal, Michael Jackson's family must grapple with the fact that their son's killer still refuses to own up to his crimes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mari-fagel/conrad-murrays-delusional_b_1129102.html

Dr. Conrad Murray Seeing Chaplain In Jail
Posted on Dec 05, 2011 @ 03:
By Amber Goodhand - Radar Reporter

After being sentenced to the maximum four years in jail for his role in Michael Jackson&#8217;s death, RadarOnline.com has exclusively learned Dr. Conrad Murray has been seeking hope from the jail chaplain.

According to an insider, Dr. Murray was sitting next to Celebrity Rehab alum British producer/writer Duncan Roy last week in the Los Angeles County Jail when he summoned the chaplain to discuss his future.
&#8220;Tears welled up in his eyes as he sat across from the chaplain,&#8221; the source exclusively told RadarOnline.com. &#8220;The chaplain told him, &#8216;You need hope.&#8217;&#8221;
Dr. Murray and Roy &#8212; who is being held on $35,000 bail for a felony attempted extortion charge &#8212; are both being segregated from the rest of the jail because of their &#8220;celebrity&#8221; status.

&#8220;Conrad is reaching for whatever he can right now to get him through this,&#8221; the source said.

Just four days after his sentencing, Dr. Murray formally filed documents to start the appeal of his involuntary manslaughter conviction, and he&#8217;s representing himself.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2011/12/dr-conrad-murray-seeing-chaplain-jail-anita-mcaffee

(I couldn't let this pass without a personal note: Actually Conrad the feeling you should be seeking isn't called hope, its called 'remorse'.....the 'hope' comes afterwards. However, if one 'Pastor' has not helped you to realisation, then I doubt that another one can.)

Last edited:
Doctor convicted in Michael Jackson&#8217;s death files notice seeking court-paid lawyer for appeal
Associated Press, Updated: Tuesday, December 13, 8:38 PM
LOS ANGELES &#8212; The doctor convicted of killing Michael Jackson asked a court Tuesday to appoint a publicly funded attorney to handle his appeal because he cannot afford to hire counsel.

Dr. Conrad Murray filed an amended notice of appeal stating he is indigent and unable to pay for an appellate lawyer to try to overturn his involuntary manslaughter conviction.

The 58-year-old cardiologist intends to argue his case before the California 2nd District Court of Appeal, based in Los Angeles.
Murray&#8217;s filing states that a court-appointed attorney would decide how to frame the appeal after reviewing transcripts and rulings from the case.
The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that felony convicts have a constitutional right to assistance of counsel.

A jury convicted Murray last month in Jackson&#8217;s June 2009 death. Murray is expected to serve roughly two years in jail, half of the four-year sentence that Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor handed down on Nov. 29.

Murray&#8217;s had sought to present evidence to jurors about Jackson&#8217;s finances, details of his deal for a series of comeback concerts, and information about other doctors treating the pop superstar. But the judge refused and stated the trial would be about Murray&#8217;s care of the singer.

The Houston-based doctor had been giving Jackson nightly doses of the powerful anesthetic propofol as a sleep aid. The drug is normally given in hospital settings with extensive monitoring equipment, but testimony showed Murray had only basic equipment and left Jackson&#8217;s bedside on the morning of his death.

Pastor has scheduled a hearing for Jan. 23 to decide whether to order Murray to pay any restitution to Jackson&#8217;s family or reimburse them for funeral expenses, which totaled more than $1.8 million.

Jackson&#8217;s estate estimated the singer would have earned at least $100 million if he had performed his &#8220;This Is It&#8221; concerts planned for London&#8217;s O2 arena.

Murray will lose his medical license. He remains in a single-man cell in the Men&#8217;s Central Jail, which is the address he listed on his appeals filings.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...y-for-appeal/2011/12/13/gIQAHIYGsO_story.html

Conrad Murray Under Tight Security: Lawyer
First Posted: 12/14/11 09:48 AM ET Updated: 12/14/11 10:43 AM ET
By ANTHONY McCARTNEY, Associated Press

LOS ANGELES &#8212; The doctor convicted of killing Michael Jackson is coping with tight security and isolation and remains optimistic that he will win an upcoming appeal, his civil attorney said Tuesday.

Charles Peckham said sheriff's deputies appear to be subjecting Conrad Murray to more security than other inmates at Men's Central Jail and that the physician was left heavily shackled during their jailhouse meeting.
"Treating him like Hannibal Lecter is offensive," Peckham said, referring to the fictional serial killer from popular books and films. A sheriff's officials defended the security measures, saying they were for Murray's safety.

The attorney had to obtain a court order Tuesday to meet with Murray to discuss strategy on a wrongful death lawsuit filed by Jackson's father. Peckham said despite the judge's order, he was denied entry to the jail, but officials relented after speaking with the civil trial court handling the case.
He said their initial 30-minute meeting was cut short when the jail was placed in lockdown, but Peckham said the time was enough to upset him and see that Murray's fortunes had dramatically changed.
"This man who saved lives made a mistake, and they're going to him pay like a mass-murderer," Peckham said. The doctor spoke extensively to documentary filmmakers before his conviction, but few details of his life behind bars have been divulged.

Murray "is a real target because of his notoriety and because of the Michael Jackson connection," sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said. "We're just being extra cautious right now."
He said jail officials will evaluate how to handle Murray's incarceration, but that he may not serve his whole sentence in isolation from other inmates. He noted that without a recent change in state law, Murray would be serving his term in state prison, not a county lockup.

Peckham said Murray, who has been jailed since a jury convicted him of involuntary manslaughter on Nov. 7, is optimistic that an appellate court will grant an appeal on the case.
Peckham's visit came hours after the physician, who was never paid the $150,000 a month he expected for serving as Jackson's personal physician, asked a court to provide a publicly funded attorney to handle his appeal because he is indigent.

J. Michael Flanagan, who was one of Murray's criminal defense lawyers, agreed with Peckham's description. He said that when he visited Murray recently, four deputies escorted the physician into the meeting room and shackled him to a table.
"He can't even scratch his nose," the attorney said. Flanagan said he saw another inmate who was charged with murder meet with his attorney without the same restrictive measures.
"This is because of his notoriety," Whitmore said. "It's not so much the crime itself."

Peckham said he didn't "think the sheriff's department is being anything but professional. I do however believe the amount of security for Dr. Murray is vastly out of proportion with the potential threat."
He said Murray told him he appreciates the support and prayers he's received from former patients and friends.

In the early days of his confinement, Murray was classified as suicidal in jail records, according to a probation report. Peckham said he saw no indications that the physician intended to take his own life and that he seemed to be in control of his mental health.

Murray indicated in a two-page court filing Tuesday that he would rely on a court-funded attorney to help craft his appeal. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that felony convicts have a constitutional right to assistance of counsel.

Flanagan and Murray's other criminal attorneys had sought to present evidence to jurors about Jackson's finances, details of his deal for a series of comeback concerts, and information about other doctors treating the pop superstar. But the judge refused and ruled the trial would be about Murray's care of the singer.

The Houston-based doctor had been giving Jackson nightly doses of the powerful anesthetic propofol as a sleep aid. The drug is normally given in hospital settings with extensive monitoring equipment, but testimony showed Murray had only basic equipment and left Jackson's bedside on the morning of his death.

Pastor has scheduled a hearing for Jan. 23 to decide whether to order Murray to pay any restitution to Jackson's family or reimburse them for funeral expenses, which totaled more than $1.8 million.

Jackson's estate estimated the singer would have earned at least $100 million if he had performed his "This Is It" concerts planned for London's O2 arena.

Murray will lose his medical license as a result of the conviction is upheld.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/14/conrad-murray-update_n_1148108.html

Conrad Murray jail treatment 'crazy, unbelievable', says lawyer
Published Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 10:07 GMT | By Daniel SperlingConrad Murray's former lawyer has blasted the "crazy and unbelievable" treatment of the 58-year-old in jail.

Murray was sentenced to four years in prison on November 29 after being found guilty of the involuntary manslaughter of his ex-patient Michael Jackson.
Attorney J Michael Flanagan has since expressed shock at the behaviour he witnessed when recently visiting Murray at the Los Angeles County Jail, claiming that the physician was brought out with his hands and feet shackled and then handcuffed to their table as they talked.
"It is crazy and unbelievable how [the sheriffs] are treating [Murray]," he told E!. "I've never seen something like this before [for involuntary manslaughter]."

Flanagan added that he was surprised to hear that Murray had been placed in a cell next to someone convicted of gang murder.

It is now known that Murray has requested an attorney for his upcoming appeal, despite having filed to represent himself earlier this month.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz...treatment-crazy-unbelievable-says-lawyer.html

Conrad Murray in Shackles, Asks for Court-Appointed Attorney
Tue., Dec. 13, 2011 4:47 PM PST by Baker Machado

The cash-strapped Conrad Murray, who has asked for a court-appointed attorney for his appeal process, doesn't seem to be experiencing jail time like some other well-known names.
Murray's previous attorney J. Michael Flanagan is outraged at the doctor's treatment in the slammer, telling E! News that "it is crazy and unbelievable how [the sheriffs] are treating" Murray in jail.

Flanagan says that after waiting for over an hour to visit the doctor yesterday, Murray arrived with his feet and hands cuffed, and was then handcuffed to the table for their meeting. "I've never seen something like this before," for someone serving for this particular crime, the attorney tells us.
He also adds that Murray's cell is next to a member that is in jail for gang murder.

According to documents obtained by E! News, in the notice of appeal Murray filed this morning in Los Angeles Superior Court, Michale Jackson's former doc stated that he is "indigent and respectfully requests the appointment of counsel on appeal."

Murray was convicted last month of involuntary manslaughter in the 2009 death of Michael Jackson and was ordered to serve four years in a Los Angeles county jail. He intends to appeal his conviction, but does not have an attorney to work with to argue his case.

Flanagan tells E! News that he doesn't handle appeals and that is why he isn't representing Murray in this process. He says he has offered advice about whom Murray should have represent him, but says, "Whoever does it has a big undertaking" with all the evidence involved.

Murray had filed a motion to appeal back on December 6 "In Pro Per," which means he was planning to represent himself.

http://uk.eonline.com/news/conrad_murray_in_shackles_asks/280479

DA drops $100 million restitution against Murray
Posted: Jan 22, 2012 11:49 PM
Updated: Jan 23, 2012 3:03 AM

The prosecution drops request that Dr. Conrad Murray pay Michael Jackson's family. (Source: POOL/CNN)
The prosecutor said he was dropping the restitution request after talking with Jackson's parents and lawyers.

Jackson died on June 25, 2009 of an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol and sedatives.

Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter last year and sentenced to four years in prison.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/16574882/da-drops-100-million-restitution-against-murray

Jacksons to Conrad Murray: You don't owe us
Family drops $100 million request for restitution from disgraced, convicted doctor
Conrad Murray &#8212; the former personal physician of Michael Jackson who is currently serving out a four-year jail sentence for causing the singer's death &#8212; can at least scratch one worry off his list.
Prosecutors for the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office have withdrawn the request for restitution from Murray, following the Jackson family's decision not to pursue it, a spokesperson for the DA's office confirms to TheWrap.

Story: Conrad Murray too poor to fund appeal
No reason was given for the decision, and TheWrap's request for comment from the family's lawyer has not yet been answered.
..But there's a good chance that the singer's kin realized that there was no way they would collect. During Murray's late November sentencing, prosecutors asked for restitution in excess of $100 million, an amount reflecting what Jackson would have made during a string of dates in London which the singer was rehearsing for at the time of his death.

During the sentencing, even the prosecutors conceded that it would be impossible for Murray to repay that amount.

Murray, who's appealing his involuntary manslaughter conviction, had his medical license suspended by the Medical Board of California earlier this month &#8212; standard operating procedure for doctors who've been convicted of felonies.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46053681/ns/today-entertainment/

Last edited:
Conrad Murray seeks release pending appeal
Saturday, January 28, 2012

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The doctor convicted in the death of Michael Jackson is asking to be released from jail pending his appeal.

Dr. Conrad Murray is already serving a four-year jail sentence. His attorney J. Michael Flanagan is asking that he be released on his own recognizance or on bail with electronic monitoring.

Flanagan says Murray is not a danger to society and wants to help support his seven children. He also suggested the sentence and Murray's mode of confinement is extremely severe for a man with no prior criminal record.

Jackson died in June 2009 of an overdose of the powerful anesthetic propofol, which Murray administered.

Murray's appeal has not yet been filed, but the motion offered a preview of some issues that will be raised, including the claim that judge in the case should have allowed testimony about Jackson's financial condition.

Flanagan said leaving that information out "seriously compromised the defendant's ability to demonstrate the desperate situation which was guiding the decisions and choices of both Mr. Jackson and Dr. Murray."

Under sentencing guidelines, Murray is expected to serve no more than half of his sentence. The attorney said if he served his complete sentence he would not receive the benefits of a favorable appeal decision if his case was overturned.

A hearing for the motion was set for Feb. 24.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/entertainment&id=8522533&rss=rss-kabc-article-8522533

By Shaun Kitchener On January 28, 2012
Conrad Murray Demands Jail Release Without Bail
Michael Jackson's convicted doctor appeals

Conrad Murray is reportedly asking to be released from prison without bail, as his lawyers scramble together an appeal against his involuntary manslaughter conviction.

Michael Jackson's former doctor was sentenced late last year to four years behind bars for helping cause the King Of Pop's death in June 2009.

TMZ reports that legal documents have been filed insisting that Murray is within his rights to appeal the verdict, saying he has "exhausted virtually all of his available resources".

The basis of the campaign is the "improper exclusion of defence evidence and witnesses that resulted in violating the defendant's State and constitutional rights to due process, to present a defence and to the effective assistance of counsel."

The site alleges that he is asking to be released without bail, and that he has volunteered to wear an electronic monitoring bracelet.

If successful, he is thought to be planning to stay with the mother of his 2-year-old son, Nicole Alvarez.

Do you think he stands a chance?!

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/68404/Conrad-Murray-Demands-Jail-Release-Without-Bail

Murray wants out of jail for appeal in Jackson's death
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Posted: Jan. 28, 2012 | 2:01 a.m.
Updated: Jan. 28, 2012 | 8:17 a.m.
LOS ANGELES -- The doctor convicted of involuntary manslaughter in Michael Jackson's death asked a judge Friday to release him from jail pending appeal.

Dr. Conrad Murray, who is serving a four-year jail sentence, said in a declaration that he should be released either on his own recognizance or on bail with electronic monitoring.

He said he is not a danger to society, will not flee and wants to work to help support his seven children.

Murray was a Houston cardiologist with an office in Las Vegas. His lawyer, J. Michael Flanagan, said in the motion that Murray knows he cannot work as a doctor but would find other employment.

He suggested the sentence and Murray's mode of confinement is extremely severe for a man with no prior criminal record. He said Murray is being held in solitary confinement and is chained to a table when he meets with lawyers.

Jackson died in June 2009 from an overdose of the anesthetic propofol, administered by Murray. Flanagan conceded that Murray made some medical misjudgments but said he never intended harm to Jackson. A hearing on the motion was set for Feb. 24.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/murray-wants-out-of-jail-for-appeal-in-jackson-s-death-138252069.html

Last edited:
Michael Jackson's Doctor Conrad Murray Denied Bail
By ALYSSA NEWCOMB (@alyssanewcomb)
Feb. 24, 2012
Dr. Conrad Murray, convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the death of pop icon Michael Jackson, will have to remain behind bars while he appeals his conviction, a judge said today.
Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor denied the request of Murray's attorneys to release him on bail while he appeals his four year sentence. Pastor called Murray a flight risk and a danger to society if he ever practiced medicine again, the Associated Press reported.
Murray, 59, was not present at the hearing.
The former doctor of the King of Pop has been serving his four year sentence in solitary confinement at the Los Angeles County Jail.

Murray was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for injecting Jackson with a lethal amount of the drug propofol.

Despite receiving the maximum sentence, Murray will likely serve only half of his four-year jail sentence due to a recent change in California law that allows non-violent felony offenders to serve their time in county jail instead of state prison.
Officials from the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department said the cardiologist would more than likely be released in two years due to factors such as jail overcrowding.

After Murray's November sentencing, District Attorney Steve Cooley said he was considering asking the judge to modify the sentence so Murray's crime could be reclassified as a serious felony, which would send him into the state prison system where he would serve the entire four years of his sentence.

"This is going to be a real test of our criminal justice system to see if it's meaningful at all," Cooley said at a news conference after the sentencing.

At Murray's sentencing, Pastor rip into the doctor calling his treatment of Jackson a "cycle of horrible medicine" and "medicine madness."
Murray treated Jackson like a "medical experiment," the judge said, which factored into his decision to hand down the maximum sentence

http://abcnews.go.com/US/michael-jacksons-doctor-conrad-murray-denied-bail/story?id=15784437#Scene_1

Judge denies bail for Michael Jackson's killer doctor
Reuters &#8211; 2 hrs 37 mins ago
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The doctor convicted of killing Michael Jackson must stay in jail pending his appeal because he might flee if allowed out on bail, a Los Angeles judge ruled on Friday.

Los Angeles Superior Court judge Michael Pastor turned down Dr. Conrad Murray's request to be released until his involuntary manslaughter conviction appeal is heard.
Pastor said on Friday he believed Murray, who was born in Grenada and worked in both Las Vegas and Texas before being hired to care for the pop singer in 2009, is a flight risk.

Murray, 59, began serving a four-year jail term in November last year after being convicted by a jury of the involuntary manslaughter of the "Thriller" singer.
The physician admitted giving Jackson sedatives and a dose of the powerful anesthetic propofol to help him sleep on the morning of his June 25, 2009 death, but the doctor denied criminal negligence.

Murray, who was not in court for Friday's hearing, had asked for bail, house arrest or electronic monitoring pending his appeal, which he said could take more than a year to be heard.
But prosecutors argued that he could flee California, was a danger to the community and had shown no remorse for his part in Jackson's death.

http://news.yahoo.com/judge-denies-bail-michael-jacksons-killer-doctor-185203127.html

Judge Takes Up Bid For Bail By Michael Jackson Doctor
February 24, 2012 11:00 AM
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) &#8212; In the wake of Whitney Houston&#8217;s death, members of the Jackson family have been speaking out about her relationship with Michael Jackson.

Meanwhile, Jackson&#8217;s doctor in solitary confinement, his lawyer planned to implore a judge to release him on bail as the appeal of his involuntary manslaughter conviction winds its way through the courts.

Attorney J. Michael Flanagan was to appear Friday to argue a motion he has filed saying that Conrad Murray should be released either on his own recognizance or on bail with an electronic monitoring ankle bracelet. Murray is in a Los Angeles County jail.
He submitted a declaration from Valerie G. Wass, the lawyer handling Murray&#8217;s appeal, who said she will present &#8220;at least one argument raising a substantial legal question&#8221; which could lead to reversal of Murray&#8217;s conviction. If he remains jailed, they said, he could serve his entire sentence before the appeal is decided.

Flanagan suggested that the four-year sentence imposed on Murray was excessive.
&#8220;It is difficult to understand how a 58-year-old man with no prior record, who was convicted of one count of a crime that does not involve intended consequences or malice could be given an upper term sentence,&#8221; he wrote in his motion.

Murray actually turned 59 on Sunday.

Prosecutors David Walgren and Deborah Brazil said in their reply motion that Murray was properly sentenced in the star&#8217;s death and would be a flight risk and a danger to the community if released. They said he practiced &#8220;dangerous and experimental medicine&#8221; on Jackson leading to his death.

Murray was convicted Nov. 7 of involuntary manslaughter after a trial focusing on use of the anesthetic propofol. Jackson died of an overdose of the drug in June 2009 while in Murray&#8217;s care.
Murray&#8217;s four-year jail sentence is the highest penalty that could be imposed for that crime. Under current sentencing guidelines he will probably serve half of that term.

Flanagan has said Murray knows he cannot work as a doctor but would find other employment. He said Murray is extremely sorrowful about Jackson&#8217;s death.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/02/24/judge-takes-up-bid-for-bail-by-michael-jackson-doctor/

Last edited:
[h=1]Court Denies Request by Michael Jackson&#8217;s Doctor to Test Drug Vial [/h] August 13, 2012 | 1:47pm

An appellate court denied a request Monday that it order forensic testing on a piece of evidence that Dr. Conrad Murray's lawyers claimed might cast doubt on his guilt in Michael Jackson's death.

The 2nd District Court of Appeal issued the decision without comment. Attorneys for Murray, who is serving a two-year manslaughter sentence, had asked for lab testing on residue from a propofol vial found in the pop star's room.

The doctor's fingerprint was on the vial, and prosecutors theorized that it held the dose of the surgical anesthetic propofol that killed Jackson on June 25, 2009. Murray's defense, which maintained that Jackson administered the fatal dose himself, asked late in the trial for testing, but was rebuffed by the trial judge who said the request was not timely.

An attorney for Murray, Valerie Wass, said she planned to petition the state Supreme Court to order testing on the drug bottle.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/08/conrad-murray-michael-jackson-propofol-vial.html

CherubimII;3689804 said:
[h=1]Court Denies Request by Michael Jackson&#8217;s Doctor to Test Drug Vial [/h] August 13, 2012 | 1:47pm

An appellate court denied a request Monday that it order forensic testing on a piece of evidence that Dr. Conrad Murray's lawyers claimed might cast doubt on his guilt in Michael Jackson's death.

The 2nd District Court of Appeal issued the decision without comment. Attorneys for Murray, who is serving a two-year manslaughter sentence, had asked for lab testing on residue from a propofol vial found in the pop star's room.

The doctor's fingerprint was on the vial, and prosecutors theorized that it held the dose of the surgical anesthetic propofol that killed Jackson on June 25, 2009. Murray's defense, which maintained that Jackson administered the fatal dose himself, asked late in the trial for testing, but was rebuffed by the trial judge who said the request was not timely.

An attorney for Murray, Valerie Wass, said she planned to petition the state Supreme Court to order testing on the drug bottle.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/08/conrad-murray-michael-jackson-propofol-vial.html

We all knew this would be the response.

This woman needs to stop wasting justices time when they have ligit cases to review. Also, she needs to stop telling the press about each stupid idea that she wants to put into action, because when she fails it makes her look more ridiculous than ever. Nothing she tries works, except getting Muarry clean underwear quicker and a walk in the sun.

Back