Music from Africa

DuranDuran

Proud Member
I'm a fan of Oumou Sangare. Here's a couple of her tunes.
[youtube]sbxCaUdvlsI&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]s61XYm3lJZw&fmt=18[/youtube]

This is Manu Dibango performing in concert with the Fania All Stars circa 1973 or 74. The song is called Soul Makossa. The chant on Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' comes from here. Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch sampled the sax riff.
[youtube]BZ6IJ2vozEk&fmt=18[/youtube]

The only person from Africa that I listen too is Angelique Kidjo.

[youtube]W96Axs6WkFg&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]NVqHZHDlaKo&feature=related[/youtube]

Last edited:
The only person from Africa that I listen too is Angelique Kidjo.

[youtube]W96Axs6WkFg&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]NVqHZHDlaKo&feature=related[/youtube]

Shes real good. I got into her in this year.

Have any of you heard of Lira? I can't post Youtube videos for some odd reason but please go and search that name on Youtube, you'll enjoy her. Anyway its really good to see people you guys talking about ''Freshly Ground''. I'm from South Africa myslef and I didn't know they were that big internationally.

by Metal Injection on May 5, 2017
scene-report-kenya.jpg

The following is a guest post by Edward Banchs, author of Heavy Metal Africa: Life, Passion, and Heavy Metal in the Forgotten Continent.

With the recent story that Stick To Your Guns was the first metal band to perform in Kenya, I felt the need to discuss a metal scene that I got to know quite well; after all, I did write a book about the matter. While Stick To Your Guns may have been the first American distortion-led band to rouse a mosh pit in the valleys of East Africa, the rockers in Kenya’s capital city of Nairobi know this music all too well, having already headbanged to previous international visitors. But most notably, Kenyans enjoy boasting about the wonderful talent of their own that have been shouting anthems at them for years. And they are proud!

In my book, Heavy Metal Africa: Life, Passion, and Heavy Metal in the Forgotten Continent, I detail the importance of this music to the current generation of ‘bangers not only in Kenya, but throughout the five other nations I visited. Immersing myself with those responsible for this genre’s nascence in their respective countries, as well as the voices shaping today’s scene, I left the land of our forebearers with a better understanding as to what fueled this generation of Africans pushing their continent forward. Kenya, like the rest of Africa, may be a bit off the collective metal map for most, but to those who call this beautiful nation home, this music, its power, its energy, and its honesty means everything. Here now are a few of the bands that are impacting Kenya’s metal scene.

Local superstars, Parking Lot Grass, have been a link for rockers outside of Africa to the Kenyan rock scene. The band with the healthiest buzz outside of the country has even been asked to perform in Europe. Fans of Foo Fighter-style rock that like to belt out songs with the windows down need to give Parking Lot Grass a listen. Listen to “Rainman” below, and check out their album ‘Tusk At Hand,’ a commentary on animal poaching, on your favorite digital store. Seriously, put this one on full volume – you will have this stuck in your head all day.
[video=youtube;_km253pvVdc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_km253pvVdc[/video]
Read rest of article here.

Back