New footage of Michael reading to Prince and Paris

If we don't like seeing precious, private moments like this, then why do we click the play button tho?

Because it wasn't obvious from the thread title that those were "precious, private moments," i.e. there was no way to know how intimate the context would be -- home movies, or reading in a bookstore, or how old the kids were, or something else.

Lot before that. book came out around 99 i think someone said. kids look 3 or so

If kids look 3 then it is 2001 at least because Paris was born in 1998. And she can talk. So it's definitely not 1999. I would say it is 2002. That would mean that Prince is 5 and Paris 4. MJ looks 2002 to me.

He seems quite annoyed, and yeah, looks like he has a cold. He may have been irritated about something not shown? We don't know who took the video?

Yes, and also I was considering that this would be during the time he was working on Invincible. I remember an interview where MJ was asked how doing this album was different from his others, MJ remarked that this time around he had young children and they would get colds and he'd catch them, and it would slow down the recording process (my paraphrasing). Do you recall that as well?

An extremely creative mind like his would have a true pull doing anything besides carrying out his creative vision; even though he loved his children, and put them first...his mind would still feel quite the pull to get back to being able to fully focus on his music and creative endeavors.

Even everyday moms when spending time with their little ones can have their minds occupied with a thousand things that they wish they could be doing but have to wait because right then they are wanted by their little one/s to have a book read to them. haha. It's a balancing act for any parent...but for a creative genious...I don't know how he did it! :)

In every video of MJ and his children it looks so sweet.

MJ is reading loud for the children - nice to see such normal things. He truely seems to have been a great father.

For me, it was a mixture of things.

1- The video automatically plays on Facebook.

2- I watch a lot of clips and read a lot of things about Michael he would probably prefer people not to read or watch. For me personally, it is not about trying to pry into his personal life- believe me, I feel guilty, horribly, horribly guilty for watching this- but I knew the whole fan community would eventually see this and be talking about it and I wanted to make sure I was informed on just exactly what was being discussed. Yes, the bottom line is, my motive to watch was selfish .

That's very true, many people and MJ pages already shared that video several hours earlier prior to this thread. You don't have to click the play button, you're just scrolling and it plays itself. But I recognized it was from that eBay auction, most of the comments were positive and I couldn't resist not watching the whole snippet. Probably my motives to watch it were selfish as well and I feel I did something wrong but many of us didn't ask for that snippet released.

What a horrible clip. haha
I just "hope for Michael" that there are more clips that show him interacting better with the children.
Besides the "oh, nice to see Michael with the kids" theres just nothing about it that puts him in a good light.

Why is it so horrible? He's reading to them... I don't see that as a bad thing.

He looks annoyed, especially when Paris started speaking and he slammed the book!

I liked the clip. MJ looked peed off. He certainly sounded as though he had a cold and was reading much too fast and not enjoying it. Sitting around in his pj's. I loved the way he slammed the book shut, as much to say, neither of you is listening so not reading anymore.

I just "hope for Michael" that there are more clips that show him interacting better with the children.
Besides the "oh, nice to see Michael with the kids" theres just nothing about it that puts him in a good light.

WTH.......are you for real?........'interacting better with the children.......'nothing about it puts him in a good light.....? he's being a parent, a human being, isn't he allowed to be himself? Geez.....

I always thought it was interesting that he had his sons hair bleached at that young age.

Before I can answer this. I wanna say that the video is just too adorable it made me giggle. If it was auctioned and I got the tape of that footage I would send it back to Prince and Paris at an instant.

I'd personally give it back to them in their own hands (can't even trust the posties these days!) :no:

LOL! When I read to my nephew I read it slowly and we look at the illustrations before we move on with the story.

Michael raced through this too quickly!

Michael basically read to himself lol :D

I think we shouldn't judge a book by its cover (literally!) We have absolutely no idea what's going on, other than him reading to his small children while being (presumably) under the weather. I can tell you this tho: Anyone who has children will identify with the behavior Michael is portraying here. Raising kids (or even keeping them entertained) is not all fun and games all the time.

So please, elaborate on why you find this ''a horrible video''? And while you're doing that.. keep in mind that this is only a fragment of a moment of a morning or afternoon of a day in the highly stressful life of a superstar, spending real time with his children.

I always thought it was interesting that he had his sons hair bleached at that young age.

When I was a kid my hair was really blonde, but the older I got the darker it became. My guess is that the same thing happened to Prince

Last edited:
Maybe- he didn't seem to have much "emotion" going on, but that could have been due to a myriad of reasons; maybe he was sick. Under stress. Maybe the kids had been misbehaving. Maybe he had other things on his mind. Maybe he was busy working on something and the kids kept begging him to read and he didn't want to, but he was frustrated and ultimately caved... seriously it could be anything. We don't know the circumstances surrounding this particular moment. And all parents are like that at one point or another, that doesn't make it a horrible clip at all.

I personally don't think it's horrible. But it looks like the intention to leak these particular seconds was meant to leave a horrible impression.
(Exchange "horrible" with "rather unfavorable" if you like).

The point of view in my last comment was how something like this is received by normal outsiders who are not
overly loving and overly understanding MJ fans.

Of couse this clip is just a small moment, and we don't know the circumstances.
But taking it isolated like it is, like any outsider will do, it just gives a bad impression of Michaels parenting skills.

The question is, if there are tons of material with Michael interacting greatly with his children,
why did they leak these particular seconds?

Last edited:
^ You are overdramatizing this. It's not like he is seen beating up his children or shouting at them. OMG, he just ran through the book and did not stop to look at each picture. What a bad, "horrible" father! :doh:

Is there any other celebrity who is analyzed and dissected like this with people (inlcuding some of his own fans) looking for faults to criticize in everything he did? Geez. -_-

I'd like to see you in everyday interactions and whether you are perfect every time.

Well maybe. But it's not my fault that there already have been countless efforts to portait him and his parenting skills in a bad light.
Something like this is just fuel to the haters. That's my point. Ok?

Well maybe. But it's not my fault that there already have been countless efforts to portait him and his parenting skills in a bad light.
Something like this is just fuel to the haters. That's my point. Ok?

LOL! This will not portray his parenting skills in a bad light. Parenting skills are about a "little" more than about how you read a book in a given moment.

And haters will find fault in the most innocent things. So why are you so overly concerned about those losers?

It seems to me he was a tired, sick with a cold Daddy who was trying to entertain his children... who were not interested in the story... look how Paris is watching Prince. :laugh: It looks like a classic "separation" moment that wasn't working. I have 2 boys... it's stressful and exhausting at times, and understandable.

LOL! This will not portray his parenting skills in a bad light. Parenting skills are about a "little" more than about how you read a book in a given moment.

And haters will find fault in the most innocent things. So why are you so overly concerned about those losers?

If you say so.
And you're jumping to conclusion again. But whatever.

I think it's complicated, and this is just a tiny slice of a moment in the lives of Michael and his children. As far as "not clicking on the link" is concerned, it was kind of unavoidable -- i.e. began playing spontaneously! To know if this was a "violation" of Michael's privacy, we'd have to know more about the context? As in, was this video HIS idea, or someone else's, and what was the intention for it?

With that said -- this was not a "stellar parenting moment," but those of us who are parents have all had such moments -- when sick or tired or stressed, and are not at optimum. I read to my daughter when she was small -- many hundreds of hours. Parenting IS exhausting. However, reading to a child is essential, as valuable learning opportunities. The kids looked a little too small to understand the words or POINT of the story, but that could have been enhanced if Michael had engaged them -- with the pictures, with commentary, and with questions about pictures, words, etc. Such as, "in the picture, the trees have green leaves. Do you think it's summer?" And so on -- hypothetically, teaching about colors, seasons, etc., in addition to the words of the story. So yes, this was an "off moment," and proves -- that Michael was HUMAN, and faced the challenges all parents face at various times.

I really have to shake my head what some fans makes from a harmless, sweet clip of Michael with his children. You'd think the Sun is at work and twisted the facts making a sweet clip to a horrible clip.
I can not see that non-MJ fans see anything other than a normal father with his children and btw it is more and more established in general public that he was a great father.

Wow...

How can anyone get something negative out of this?

MJ might have a cold - anyway he reads for his children. It's just quality time between father and children.

I like to see those clips becuase it makes me hope/think he had a normal life with his children.

We do all have the advantage of seeing how these two little cuties grew up to be avid readers and very, very bright. That tells me that every single reading session between MJ and his kids did not look like this. I remember somewhere in a interview, a person, it might have been Frank DiLeo, said both Prince and Paris learned to read early. That absolutely happens when a parent is taking the time to engage with the child while reading to them, starting with that at a very young age. I have a son who taught himself to read at age four, and we had many, many readings of picture books from the library when he was between 1 1/2 and 3. I started reading chapter books to him when he was 4...like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlotte's Web. One day he amazed me by saying he'd read to me. Which he did. (I was bummed...I always wanted to teach him to read! lol)

Michael definitely taught his kids to be readers and appreciators of books and knowledge...SO, he was doing something very, very right.

Like others have said, this is just a slice of time and I would suggest not representative of every time he sat down and read a book with them.

Michael definitely taught his kids to be readers and appreciators of books and knowledge...SO, he was doing something very, very right.

I believe so as well. And i didn't see anyone saying anything to the contrary on here.

Like others have said, this is just a slice of time and I would suggest not representative of every time he sat down and read a book with them.

And i said this as well. The question remains, why of all footage THIS slice was released.

Back