New Jack Swing Appreciation Thread

I kinda don't classify Dangerous as NJS because half of the album is all MJ lol (Heal The World def. isn't NJS lol)

Bobby Brown's Don't Be Cruel is one of the best R&B albums in the past 25 years.
Guy's debut album is the quintessential NJS album

and who said Color Me Badd's "I Wanna Sex You Up" was NJS?!

I Wanna Sex You Up is NJS, why wouldn't it be? Its seriously on any NJS compilation you can find :lol:

And Dangerous is mostly NJS, cuz the OTHER half of the album is practically all NJS sound. MJ never has just one sound on any album, but Dangerous' "theme" is practically NJS. You got Why You Wanna Trip on Me, She Drives Me Wild, In The Closet, Remember The Time, Can't Let Her Get Away...thats the first half right there. Teddy Riley's producing is written all over it.

Last edited:
I remember that era all too very well. Especially when Boyz II Men first came out. I remember how huge they were when I was in 5th grade. I loved Boyz 2 Men at the time because they came from Philadelphia. Which is an hour away from where I live. I also had loved some of those other singers you guys had mention. It is this kind of music is why I still love the Dangerous album like I do.

MAN! That gap band joint is something i haven't heard in a WHILE!
The Wilson brothers are one of my favorite groups. I have all of their albums, and Charlie's solo stuff too. Little know trivia: Charlie Wilson played keyboards on a Eurythmics tour around 1989.

I Wanna Sex You Up is NJS, why wouldn't it be? Its seriously on any NJS compilation you can find :lol:

And Dangerous is mostly NJS, cuz the OTHER half of the album is practically all NJS sound. MJ never has just one sound on any album, but Dangerous' "theme" is practically NJS. You got Why You Wanna Trip on Me, She Drives Me Wild, In The Closet, Remember The Time, Can't Let Her Get Away...thats the first half right there. Teddy Riley's producing is written all over it.
Foreal? Because I remember nobody saw it as New Jack Swing

This was THE COOLEST NJS song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9aLBdeT6ks

I'm a B Brown 4 Life!

The New Jack Swing Thread

I'm big fan of New Jack Swing. Post some of your favorite New Jack Swing songs on here

Re: The New Jack Swing Thread

Here's the post I made in an old NJS appreciation thread I made:
I dunno what it is!

I don't even REMEMBER the NJS era, but it's now my new obsession! I feel like i should've been in that era for REAL!

Im always playing it. People think I'm crazy cuz i'm 20, listening to some New Jack Swing lol. I wonder why this sound died out! It's soooo groovy lol. I mean, who can beat KEITH SWEAT! That is my GUY! I love every thing that he's made lol Like this one

Just...a touch...of looove...a lil bit
Just...a touch...of love

and
Somethin something
somethin something
somethin somethin just aint riiiggghhttt

That is my JAM. Lets see if u guys can remember these:

How about my favorite "quiet storm' jam...

I can tell you how i feel a-bout you
nite and daaaaaaaayyyy (how i feel about youu oohh noooo!)

Or my "club banger":

Iitts drivin me out of my miinnd
That's why it's hard for me to finnnd
Can't get you out of myyy headdd
Miss her, kiss her love herrrrr....
That girl is POOOISSOOOONNNNNN

I LOVE that song!!! (does the running man)

And i gotta give it up to BOBBY BROWN! My favorite song of his is...my heaaarttt...belongs to my roni...she MYYYY only loooveeee. AAH!

And the song I've been having on repeat lately is Color Me Badd. (holds head down in shame) I love that falsetto in the beginning! Come inside take off your coat I'll make you feel at home...Now lets pour a glass of wine cuz now WE'RE ALL alone... AW! His falsetto is so small! :lol: OooooOOOoooo...I wanna sex you up! All niggghtt... :lol:

Oh and I can't forget about Guy. Can't. Jaaamm....ohhhh jammmm......jaaaaaaaaaammmm.....Teddy Jam for meeeeee....dum dum didAAAYYY " :lol: (Fresh Prince forever changed that song for me. "You'll end up an old lady with a shower cap on your head and just all of a sudden start sayin 'dum dum didDAY!' :lol: )

Or how about...YOU CAN CALL ME CRAAA-ZAAAYYYY! :lol:

And lets give love to Heavy Diddley diddley deeee! Is it good to you...I liiike itttttt...is it goood to you...I reeally really liike it!

Ya'll remember: Keep breakin my heaaaaaaaarrttt....keep breakin my heartt pretty brown eyeeesss....keep breakin my heeeAARRTTTTTT.... My sis says that was one of those 'played out' songs :lol:

I love the Troop jam... Spread my winnnggs...and fly away....to a place I have looongged fooorrrrr....and my heart will be...the paath waayyyyy...

Lovin it!

So what are your favorites. Maybe I can add to my collection! (please don't think I'm nuts!)

LOL well I thought it was old and dead, that's why I didn't post the link :p

Loves it. I was a young tten in the early nighties so I rememebr a lot of songs from the particular era. Loves everything :D:punk:

Groove U - Tender Love [1994]

NJS was all about the sound and production for me and i think some of the best from the genre came nearing its decline in mid-90s. here's a couple of tracks by the very smooth Characters production duo:

41S61JNAVCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Seek And You'll Find

Call And I'll Answer

Flyte Tyme NJS

a little Flyte Tyme swing with Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis and Jellybean Johnson's foray into NJS:

x5885s.jpg

New Edition - Crucial (Dance Remix)

Dub

Beat A Pella

groovin.gif

LOL! "I can tell you how I feel about you nite and daaaay"
Now if you wanna see a funny video- THAT was funny! oh that silly little Al b. sure! lol

lmao I think "Vibe" is the best song EVER made. :lol:

"She's got that VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBBBEEEEE

VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBBBBBEEEE

VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBE"

LMAO Billie Jean ain't got nothing on that. :lol:

New Jack Swing was a term made by Barry Michael Cooper during the so-called "crack" era of the late 1980s. Teddy Riley was its musical muse to the whole thing and it became a mini-revolution. NJS was really funk music with a modern hip-hop, house and classic R&B slant on it. NJS was good with ballads too from Keith Sweat, Johnny Gill and Guy.

This was one of the best NJS songs out:

Dreamin - Christopher Williams

Back