Official Clarification From The Estate Regarding The Mijac - Sony/ATV Situation

I know that, but I think the questions about Sony/ATV are more serious. The issues about Mijac were only about who would administer MJ's catalog. But it's great to know that they will not sell Mijac. In my opinion Mijac is the most important catalog of the planet. But keeping the Sony/ATV is a matter of justice.

Yeah..Michael even helped make Sony/ATV what it is today..It would make no financial sense to sell their half of the Sony/ATV catalog..It's such a massive revenue generating asset. What would be the purpose of getting rid of it? There really is none..I've said this in the other thread but if the Estate tried to tell the Sony/ATV share, that would be simply pure corruption on their part..So I don't think they will do that..Also, judges are able to block insanely negative financial moves like that (I hope?)..I admit it would be nice for Branca and the Estate to say "We will never sell Michael's portion of the Sony/ATV Catalog." as well.

Oh yes, Sony is such a good company, they are benefactors, and MJ and we have thousand times to thank that they gave Michael the opportunity to produce and release his music with the selfless help of them. What possibly could we do to abye that? :doh: :puke:

thanks for posting. Gaz. and thank you to John Branca for explaining the issue.

Yes, there is a matching right that Michael granted to Sony/ATV but they only get to administer the catalog for a limited term AND only if they agree to unprecedented favorable terms. We will not relinquish ultimate control and ownership to anyone.
matching right? confusng term of words or is that just me.? bascialyl sony/atv get to admin mijca if they accept the terms mj put down?

I know that, but I think the questions about Sony/ATV are more serious.
there are no questions though theres no evidence it will be sold now or in the future.if branca etc are so adamant aabout mijac being held by the estate it wont be any diff re sony/atv.

Last edited:
Matching rights - as far as I know - means that someone has priority over other parties if they are willing to match their offer.

For example assume you are selling something and Jane offers you 1000 dollars. Jill who has a matching right says I'll pay you the same ($1000) and you have to go with Jill then.

The way Branca tells it sounds like only way Sony can get the administration rights of the catalog if they willing to agree (or match) the terms of the current agreement in place.

In short his point is Sony wouldn't be able to get the rights to manage it no matter what, they can only get it if they give or match the best offer.

thanks. so its not offical that this deal is happening yet then?

Did anyone else notice the fact that he makes no mention of their intent to perserve MJ's stake in Sony/ATV? I think this is quite glaring.

I'm very nervous...

Didn't mean to go negative. I'm appreciative of John Branca for the due diligence of addressing this, and I'm certainly grateful of Gaz for posting.

But none the less, I'm less assured about Sony/ATV now than I have ever been.

Did anyone else notice the fact that he makes no mention of their intent to perserve MJ's stake in Sony/ATV? I think this is quite glaring.

I'm very nervous...

I think its irrelevant to think this way. This mail is about MiJac.

on the other hand, its something "natural" and undoubted that Branca and co. have their interest to preserve Mjs stake in Sony/ATV.

In case you didn't know there was a recent news that said that publishing management of MIJAC could move from Warner to Sony.

This is the issue that John Branca is addressing here.

The new possible development at hand has nothing to do with Sony/ATV and it's totally about MIJAC.

That's why he's only mentioning the current issue.

Exactly. and the matching right was signed years ago, and Sony/ATV has the advantage in getting MiJac

matching right? confusng term of words or is that just me.? bascialyl sony/atv get to admin mijca if they accept the terms mj put down?

there are no questions though theres no evidence it will be sold now or in the future.if branca etc are so adamant aabout mijac being held by the estate it wont be any diff re sony/atv.

I'm not against the Estate. I have been defending these guys. But it is time to stop with ridiculous comments like "there are no questions though theres no evidence". It is obvious that there are questions. A man is not here anymore!!! It would be great if they officially confirm they will not sell Sony/ATV. This is not about evidence, proof or conspiracy. This is about surveillance.

We're not talking about the new album or accusing people of crimes. We just want an answer.

Some people are just never happy.

I hope we don't end up hearing arguments like this if/when MJ's stake in Sony/ATV is lost or sold. I think ALL fans should universally agree that this would be a monumental loss for MJ.

No matter what the debt, no matter what the circumstance, MJ held a tight grip on that Sony/ATV catalog. When he was enduring the worst of times, he still held on to it. There should be no reason now, especially during this dramatic financial resurgence that the catalog should be lost.

I hope we don't end up hearing arguments like this if/when MJ's stake in Sony/ATV is lost or sold. I think ALL fans should universally agree that this would be a monumental loss for MJ.

No matter what the debt, no matter what the circumstance, MJ held a tight grip on that Sony/ATV catalog. When he was enduring the worst of times, he still held on to it. There should be no reason now, especially during this dramatic financial resurgence that the catalog should be lost.

I think, in this case the circumstances would be very important if.... MJ lost his stake., but only IF.
You cant lose something with - no reason.

I'm not against the Estate. I have been defending these guys. But it is time to stop with ridiculous comments like "there are no questions though theres no evidence". It is obvious that there are questions. A man is not here anymore!!! It would be great if they officially confirm they will not sell Sony/ATV. This is not about evidence, proof or conspiracy. This is about surveillance.

We're not talking about the new album or accusing people of crimes. We just want an answer.

Agreed..

Last edited:
I'm not against the Estate. I have been defending these guys. But it is time to stop with ridiculous comments like "there are no questions though theres no evidence". It is obvious that there are questions. A man is not here anymore!!
im talking about the sony/atv cat not murray. there are questions as to what murray did.that is irrelvent ot the sony atv cat. some think its all connected in order for sony to get the cat i dont. so to me its two seperate issues. so at this time until the sony atv is sold etc there are no questions in relation to the cat

thanks. so its not offical that this deal is happening yet then?

no.

I think if we read the Roger Friedman article he's mentioning that Warner is close to bankruptcy - which is true and their publishing business will be sold.

Estate has the option to pull MIJAC from warner and with the "matching rights" Sony becomes the company that's most likely to manage the MIJAC's publishing rights.

Branca said in July 2009 that Sony/Atv is not for sale. I know it was almost 2 years ago but I want to believe he and McClain still think the same. After all he keeps a framed note Michael wrote for him "Branca, The catalog is mine" so maybe it means something.

Jackson Assets Draw the Gaze of Wall Street
John G. Branca, the entertainment lawyer who structured Mr. Jackson’s initial purchase of the Beatles catalog and is now one of two executors of his estate, declined to comment by e-mail on Sunday, saying only that the Jackson stake in Sony/ATV “is not for sale.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/business/20fund.html

no.

I think if we read the Roger Friedman article he's mentioning that Warner is close to bankruptcy - which is true and their publishing business will be sold.

Estate has the option to pull MIJAC from warner and with the "matching rights" Sony becomes the company that's most likely to manage the MIJAC's publishing rights.

Reading this give me a sad feeling "Warner is close to bankruptcy" look at how MJ fight to keep his side of ATV alive no one giving him credit for doing a good job I am sure Warner had more money that MJ I am sure Sony has more money than mj to support there half of ATV, yet mj was accuse of been a spend drift, when in all reality it take a lot of millions to keep his half of ATV alive. WHO IS GOING TO TELL THE TRUTH?

I am confused why people think Michael will lose his stake in the catalogue when I thought this was about his music catalogue publishing rights going from a company that is going bankrupt and going to the company his co-owns.

I think the estate is getting stronger and positioning itself in a good place. The Sony/ATV is a valued asset and something they know Michael fought hard to keep. They seem to be making good decisions for the most part and to give this up would seem a crazy thing to do. The value of it will just keep growing in the years to come.

Good to read.
Great to know.
What's Michael's is MJ3's.

:clapping:

In case you didn't know there was a recent news that said that publishing management of MIJAC could move from Warner to Sony.

This is the issue that John Branca is addressing here.

The new possible development at hand has nothing to do with Sony/ATV and it's totally about MIJAC.

That's why he's only mentioning the current issue.

thank you Gaz , thank you ivy.

Branca said in July 2009 that Sony/Atv is not for sale. I know it was almost 2 years ago but I want to believe he and McClain still think the same. After all he keeps a framed note Michael wrote for him "Branca, The catalog is mine" so maybe it means something.

exactly !

I am just curious to know how people know he has a framed note from Michael that he keeps?

Back