On Behind the Mask

I liked this version, but a lot of work could still have been done to make the song better.

If I were me I would have done things a lil different:

1. Remove the crowd noise.
2. Decrease the amount of he-he's as I feel they drown the song a little bit.
3. Made the synth melody from the original version kick in after the sax solo to give more of a nostalgic sound, I think it would fit.
4. Include the "Who do you love" background vocals from the greg phillinganes version.

I would love to have heard a version where Greg Phillinganes co-produce the whole thing.. :)

...wishful thinking does wonders. haha

Give us it the way MJ left it, would love to hear it that way. The live crowd does nothing for the song, there are a few added adlibs and as Birchey said, the Scream Classic Club Mix sounds like a bit of that was used.

Would love to hear the original demo but doubt we will. :(

Either way, it's an awesome song, my favorite on the album.

Give us it the way MJ left it, would love to hear it that way. The live crowd does nothing for the song, there are a few added adlibs and as Birchey said, the Scream Classic Club Mix sounds like a bit of that was used.

Would love to hear the original demo but doubt we will. :(

Agree with this .. the live crowd, and that ridiculous sax intro totally ruin it for me

His voice carries so much melody, soul, richness and energy it almost doesn't need any music...I feel the same about Slave..

That's so true..I also think STTR doesn't need any music..actually I wish someone would release it without all the remix..Michael is the only artist who has the ability to affect me as a listener without the music which adds to his voice.

personally i dont like the song that much.. maybe because of all the eee. I hope they will release more stuff so we can compare it, demos from michael and the songs on michael and also other songs so we can understand things better.

Michael did so much writting and recording in his live.. i think we only have 2procent so to understand more why they made it like this we have to here more ;)

I always laugh when I see this on Wikipedia:

Jason Lipshutz with Gail Mitchell and Gary Graff from Billboard thought the song was "a must-listen songs on Michael", and it "holds the highest number of Jackson's signature 'hee-hee!' exclaims".
:D

Last edited:
This song is my favorite on the album. But there is much similar with Yelow Magic Orchestra version and i don't like it. I think if Michael would finish this song himself he'd make it more original than to copy parts from others.

^^^

I think BTM is very close to MJ's vision. (maybe MJ would not have added the live bits though)

He loved the YMO's version and wanted to make a song with that melody so he would copy some parts I think.

I love original YMO version, MJ version on Michael Album is too crowded for me. It's over mixed, just like Another Day.

Back