One, Two, Three Punch!

more .. more.. more
New SAMP Worldwide Signing - Ryan Star
Oct 15, 2007

resize_image.php

We are pleased to announce a worldwide co-publishing agreement with Ryan Star. Ryan Star, an artist contestant on the TV show, Rock Star, is the first signing through Sony/ATV’s co-venture with Mark Burnett Productions.
http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/318

New SAMP Worldwide Signing - The Game
Oct 15, 2007

resize_image.php

We are pleased to announce the signing of a worldwide co-publishing agreement with Jayceon Taylor p/k/a The Game d/b/a Baby Game Music.

The Game is one of the most recognizable figures in popular music today. The Los Angeles rapper has single handedly resurrected the West Coast hip hop scene. His debut album "The Documentary" released in 2005 via Dr. Dre's Aftermath Entertainment sold over 2 million units and earned him 2 Grammy Nominations. His second album "Doctor's Advocate" has sold over 1.5 million records worldwide to date. The Game is the only West Coast solo artist to release a multi-platinum album since Dr. Dre's 2001 album which was released in late 1999. The Game is currently wrapping up a worldwide tour that has been instrumental in building an international fan base. He will begin to record his 3rd studio album in the next month, and it is expected to be released in the 4th quarter of 2007.
http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/319

more.. more.. moe

Sony/ATV Wins ASCAP Country Music Publisher of the Year
Oct 16, 2007

resize_image.php

NASHVILLE, TN, OCTOBER 15, 2007: The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) honored the world's finest songwriters of the most performed country songs of the past year during the 45th Annual ASCAP Country Music Awards.

For the second year in a row and the ninth time in ASCAP’s history, SONY/ATV MUSIC PUBLISHING was awarded Music Publisher Of The Year.

In addition to Publisher of the Year, SONY/ATV also won Song of the Year for the Carrie Underwood hit, “Before He Cheats”, by writer Josh Kear and a further eight individual song awards... "Beer In Mexico", "I Loved Her First", "Life Ain't Always Beautiful", "My Wish", "Settle For A Slowdown", "Some People Change", and "You Save Me".
http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/320

For the second year in a row and the ninth time in ASCAP’s history, SONY/ATV MUSIC PUBLISHING was awarded Music Publisher Of The Year.

In addition to Publisher of the Year, SONY/ATV also won Song of the Year for the Carrie Underwood hit, “Before He Cheats”,
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Bandier bringing home the gold at Sony/ATV. Go Sony and MJ!

Thanks, Rasta. You know how to keep us uptodate. Love this thread!!!

Wow! ^^ G8 stuff! I do like my country music!:yes: That Carrie Underwood song is really good.

more..more.. more
Sony/ATV Wins Triple Crown
Nov 08, 2007

SONY/ATV MUSIC PUBLISHING EARNS FIRST EVER COUNTRY TRIPLE CROWN WITH 2007 PUBLISHER OF THE YEAR AWARDS FROM ASCAP, BMI AND SESAC

HISTORIC ACHIEVEMENT MARKS FIRST TIME A MUSIC PUBLISHER HAS WON ALL THREE COUNTRY PUBLISHER OF THE YEAR AWARDS IN ONE YEAR.

November 8, 2007—New York--Sony/ATV Music Publishing Chairman and CEO Martin Bandier announced today that its Nashville division has achieved a historic and unprecedented benchmark in music publishing with performing rights organizations ASCAP, BMI and SESAC each naming it 2007 Publisher of the Year.

The 2007 awards mark the first time in the history of country music one publisher has won all three awards in one year. The BMI Country Awards were presented in Nashville on Tuesday, November 6, when Sony/ATV Music Publishing garnered Publisher of the Year for the sixth consecutive year. SESAC recognized Sony/ATV Timber Publishing along with joint venture Hillsboro Valley Songs with its Country Publisher of the Year Award on Monday, November 5 at its 2007 SESAC Nashville Music Awards. The ASCAP Publisher of the Year Award was presented to Sony/ATV Music Publishing at the 45th Annual ASCAP Country Music Awards held October 15, 2007, also in Nashville. The company has earned ASCAP Country Publisher of the Year nine times.

“I am thrilled with this unprecedented accomplishment and it is a credit to the talent of Troy Tomlinson and our entire Nashville team,” said Bandier. “Garnering the recognition as Publisher of the Year from ASCAP, SESAC and BMI in the same year proves that Sony/ATV Music Publishing Nashville is the best in the business.”

The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is the U.S. based membership association of over 300,000 composers, songwriters, lyricists, and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP presented its Publisher of the Year honors to Sony/ATV Music Publishing at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium during the performing rights organization's 45th annual country awards presentation.

Sony /ATV Music’s 2007 ASCAP CMA winners include Song Of The Year for “Before He Cheats” written by Josh Kear and recorded by Carrie Underwood, “Life Ain't Always Beautiful” by Cyndi Thomson and recorded by Gary Alan, “Settle For A Slowdown” written and recorded by Dierks Bentley, “I Loved Her First” by Walt Aldridge and recorded by Heartland; “You Save Me” by Brett James and recorded by Kenny Chesney; “My Wish” written by Steve Robson, and recorded by Rascal Flatts; “Beer In Mexico” written and recorded by Kenny Chesney and “Some People Change” by Michael Dulaney and recorded by Montgomery Gentry.

BMI is a performing rights organization currently representing more than 6.5 million compositions. It collects license fees on behalf of its songwriters, composers and music publishers and distributes them as royalties to those members whose works have been performed.

Sony/ATV Music’s BMI songs earning CMA awards include “Every Mile a Memory” written by Steve Bogard and recorded by Dierks Bentley, “Give It Away” by Bill Anderson and recorded by George Strait, “How 'Bout You” written and recorded by Eric Church, “I'll Wait for You” by Bill Anderson and recorded by Joe Nichols, “Kerosene” written and recorded by Miranda Lambert, “Leave the Pieces” by Jennifer Hanson and recorded by The Wreckers, “A Little Too Late” by Dean Dillon and recorded by Toby Keith, “The Lucky One” by Jay Joyce and recorded by Faith Hill, “My Little Girl” by Tom Douglas and recorded by Tim McGraw, “My, Oh My” by Jessica Harp and recorded by The Wreckers, “The Seashores of Old Mexico” by Merle Haggard and recorded by George Strait, “Settle for a Slowdown” by Tony Martin and recorded by Dierks Bentley, "Tim McGraw” written and recorded by Taylor Swift, “Why, Why, Why” by Tony Martin and recorded by Billy Currington, “Would You Go With Me” by John Scott Sherrill and recorded by Josh Turner, “Yee Haw” by Casey Beathard and recorded by Jake Owen, and “You'll Always Be My Baby” by Tony Martin and recorded by Sara Evans.

SESAC was founded in 1930, making it the second oldest performing rights organization in the United States. Additional SESAC awards presented to Sony/ATV Music at the CMA’s include the Songwriter of the Year Award to Liz Rose for Sony/ATV Timber Publishing and Hillsboro Valley Songs, and awards for .“Teardrops on My Guitar" and “Tim McGraw” by Liz Rose and recorded by Taylor Swift, “Diamonds in the Sun” by Liz Rose and recorded by Walt Wilkins & the Mystiqueros, and “Unglamorous” by Liz Rose and recorded by Lori McKenna.

About Sony/ATV Music Publishing (http://www.sonyatv.com")
Sony/ATV Music Publishing was established in 1995 as a joint venture between Sony and trusts formed by Michael Jackson. Sony/ATV Music Publishing owns or administers over 600,000 copyrights by such artists as The Beatles, Beck, Brooks & Dunn, Leonard Cohen, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, The Everly Brothers, Fall Out Boy, Jimi Hendrix, Billy Mann, Joni Mitchell, Graham Nash, Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Richie Sambora, Stephen Stills, KT Tunstall and Diane Warren, among others. Sony/ATV recently acquired both the Leiber Stoller and Famous catalogues. It is not part of the Sony BMG Music Entertainment venture.
http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/328

Hey RastaPasta does BMI stand for anything (is it an abbrv. for something)? If you know.

Hey RastaPasta does BMI stand for anything (is it an abbrv. for something)? If you know.
here is it ..straight from the website so no errors:

BMI is a performing right organization: It collects license fees on behalf of its songwriters, composers and music publishers and distributes them as royalties to those members whose works have been performed.
As a performing right organization, BMI issues licenses to various users of music, including television and radio stations and networks; new media, including the Internet and mobile technologies such as ringtones and ringbacks; satellite audio services like XM and Sirius; nightclubs, discos, hotels, bars, restaurants and other venues; digital jukeboxes; and live concerts. It then tracks public performances of its members' music, and collects and distributes licensing revenues for those performances as royalties to the more than over 350,000 songwriters, composers and music publishers it represents, as well as the thousands of creators from around the world who have chosen BMI for representation in the U.S.
BMI currently represents some more than 6.5 million compositions — a number that is constantly growing. As a result, BMI has, over the years, sought out and implemented a number of technological innovations in its continuing effort to gather the most accurate information available about where, when and how its members' compositions are used as well as ensuring that payment to those whose works have been performed is made in as precise and timely a manner as possible.

Thanx ^^! It doesn't say if BMI is a short for something like I am not sure what B could stand for but maybe M=music and I=International (I am guessing)

Rasta you have got to put this article up. It's GREAT news.

Billboard has an article up entitled "SONY/ATV WRAPS UP FAMOUS".

It goes on to say that Sony/ATV has now acquired INTERNATIONAL administration rights to the Famous catalog from Universal Music Group, wrapping up FULL international control of the Famous music catalog.

BMG Music Publishing, apparently held the administration rights outside of the United States and certain Asian territories.

Now Michael OWNS THE ENTIRE package. I would have to say that this news is great for MJ. GREAT! GREAT! GREAT!

Can this thread be turned into a sticky please? Its very useful and I for one don't want it buried.

Rasta you have got to put this article up. It's GREAT news.

Billboard has an article up entitled "SONY/ATV WRAPS UP FAMOUS".

It goes on to say that Sony/ATV has now acquired INTERNATIONAL administration rights to the Famous catalog from Universal Music Group, wrapping up FULL international control of the Famous music catalog.

I would have to say that this news is great for MJ. GREAT! GREAT! GREAT!
I had seen this article earlier and was going to go back to it and post it but it slipped my mind. I have a strange feeling that s/atv will buy out Universal eventually. I read somewhere that it's a possibility. I certainly hope so.

I had seen this article earlier and was going to go back to it and post it but it slipped my mind. I have a strange feeling that s/atv will buy out Universal eventually. I read somewhere that it's a possibility. I certainly hope so.
That would be so nice but I think some govt conspiracy would stop that. Maybe it is good that they think MJ doesn't own it any more so they won't sabbotage his plan.
My biggest dream is for MJ to be rich enough to buy out one of the major newspapers that have been a thorn in his flesh for so long.:)

Hey eternitys_child, I think it has to do with his agreement with Sony... and the dealings with his masters...I think Michael has a say in what albums can be used ..

I don't think we realize it .. BUT.. Michael is the one that got Mottola fired.. and Michael .. carries a LOT more weight in Sony now (post Mottola).. than many realize..

he holds the trumph card to the future of Sony/BMG earnings .. because the money is in the publishing.. and that's where Sony/BMG wants to go..

that Ebony magazine issue.. revealed alot...to me .. if you are the artist that earned a record company $1bil profit off one album.. ummmm??

Sony/BMG is about to 'throw down' some major cash in backing one Michael Jackson... this is my guess..

just to repeat.. a continuatin of his legacy is about to be written.. please don't miss it....

mannnn,,that's some good stuff to hear..and he owns the right to gameshow themes? haha...kill it MJ :kickass:

That would be so nice but I think some govt conspiracy would stop that. Maybe it is good that they think MJ doesn't own it any more so they won't sabbotage his plan.
My biggest dream is for MJ to be rich enough to buy out one of the major newspapers that have been a thorn in his flesh for so long.:)

That will be so sweet!:yes: Can you imagine some of the faces when they hear the news that MJ is now their Boss!!!

That will be so sweet!:yes: Can you imagine some of the faces when they hear the news that MJ is now their Boss!!!
Hee, hee. I wouldn't be surprised if he already done so. MJ has been known for buying things in other peopes name. he didn't buy Neverland in his name either.

from the time of the Jackson 5...whenever MJ is in the midst...good fortune follows...and it applies to the business side too. someone is watching over him

Hee, hee. I wouldn't be surprised if he already done so. MJ has been known for buying things in other peopes name. he didn't buy Neverland in his name either.

Really! I didn't know that! Wow! I wonder what else MJ owns under a different name? I wonder if RastaPasta will know! :p)

from the time of the Jackson 5...whenever MJ is in the midst...good fortune follows...and it applies to the business side too. someone is watching over him

Yup! Someone sure is!:yes:

Last edited:

thanks for bringing this up.. I remember there was talk when Vivendi was trying to sell.. but of course ..that was before Marting Bandier... that man is on a mission...

oh, if I find that article.. again.. I will post it here...

more, more.. more

Sony/ATV Wins Triple Crown
Nov 08, 2007

SONY/ATV MUSIC PUBLISHING EARNS FIRST EVER COUNTRY TRIPLE CROWN WITH 2007 PUBLISHER OF THE YEAR AWARDS FROM ASCAP, BMI AND SESAC

HISTORIC ACHIEVEMENT MARKS FIRST TIME A MUSIC PUBLISHER HAS WON ALL THREE COUNTRY PUBLISHER OF THE YEAR AWARDS IN ONE YEAR.

November 8, 2007—New York--Sony/ATV Music Publishing Chairman and CEO Martin Bandier announced today that its Nashville division has achieved a historic and unprecedented benchmark in music publishing with performing rights organizations ASCAP, BMI and SESAC each naming it 2007 Publisher of the Year.

The 2007 awards mark the first time in the history of country music one publisher has won all three awards in one year. The BMI Country Awards were presented in Nashville on Tuesday, November 6, when Sony/ATV Music Publishing garnered Publisher of the Year for the sixth consecutive year. SESAC recognized Sony/ATV Timber Publishing along with joint venture Hillsboro Valley Songs with its Country Publisher of the Year Award on Monday, November 5 at its 2007 SESAC Nashville Music Awards. The ASCAP Publisher of the Year Award was presented to Sony/ATV Music Publishing at the 45th Annual ASCAP Country Music Awards held October 15, 2007, also in Nashville. The company has earned ASCAP Country Publisher of the Year nine times.

“I am thrilled with this unprecedented accomplishment and it is a credit to the talent of Troy Tomlinson and our entire Nashville team,” said Bandier. “Garnering the recognition as Publisher of the Year from ASCAP, SESAC and BMI in the same year proves that Sony/ATV Music Publishing Nashville is the best in the business.”

The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is the U.S. based membership association of over 300,000 composers, songwriters, lyricists, and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP presented its Publisher of the Year honors to Sony/ATV Music Publishing at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium during the performing rights organization's 45th annual country awards presentation.

Sony /ATV Music’s 2007 ASCAP CMA winners include Song Of The Year for “Before He Cheats” written by Josh Kear and recorded by Carrie Underwood, “Life Ain't Always Beautiful” by Cyndi Thomson and recorded by Gary Alan, “Settle For A Slowdown” written and recorded by Dierks Bentley, “I Loved Her First” by Walt Aldridge and recorded by Heartland; “You Save Me” by Brett James and recorded by Kenny Chesney; “My Wish” written by Steve Robson, and recorded by Rascal Flatts; “Beer In Mexico” written and recorded by Kenny Chesney and “Some People Change” by Michael Dulaney and recorded by Montgomery Gentry.

BMI is a performing rights organization currently representing more than 6.5 million compositions. It collects license fees on behalf of its songwriters, composers and music publishers and distributes them as royalties to those members whose works have been performed.

Sony/ATV Music’s BMI songs earning CMA awards include “Every Mile a Memory” written by Steve Bogard and recorded by Dierks Bentley, “Give It Away” by Bill Anderson and recorded by George Strait, “How 'Bout You” written and recorded by Eric Church, “I'll Wait for You” by Bill Anderson and recorded by Joe Nichols, “Kerosene” written and recorded by Miranda Lambert, “Leave the Pieces” by Jennifer Hanson and recorded by The Wreckers, “A Little Too Late” by Dean Dillon and recorded by Toby Keith, “The Lucky One” by Jay Joyce and recorded by Faith Hill, “My Little Girl” by Tom Douglas and recorded by Tim McGraw, “My, Oh My” by Jessica Harp and recorded by The Wreckers, “The Seashores of Old Mexico” by Merle Haggard and recorded by George Strait, “Settle for a Slowdown” by Tony Martin and recorded by Dierks Bentley, "Tim McGraw” written and recorded by Taylor Swift, “Why, Why, Why” by Tony Martin and recorded by Billy Currington, “Would You Go With Me” by John Scott Sherrill and recorded by Josh Turner, “Yee Haw” by Casey Beathard and recorded by Jake Owen, and “You'll Always Be My Baby” by Tony Martin and recorded by Sara Evans.

SESAC was founded in 1930, making it the second oldest performing rights organization in the United States. Additional SESAC awards presented to Sony/ATV Music at the CMA’s include the Songwriter of the Year Award to Liz Rose for Sony/ATV Timber Publishing and Hillsboro Valley Songs, and awards for .“Teardrops on My Guitar" and “Tim McGraw” by Liz Rose and recorded by Taylor Swift, “Diamonds in the Sun” by Liz Rose and recorded by Walt Wilkins & the Mystiqueros, and “Unglamorous” by Liz Rose and recorded by Lori McKenna.

About Sony/ATV Music Publishing (http://www.sonyatv.com")
Sony/ATV Music Publishing was established in 1995 as a joint venture between Sony and trusts formed by Michael Jackson. Sony/ATV Music Publishing owns or administers over 600,000 copyrights by such artists as The Beatles, Beck, Brooks & Dunn, Leonard Cohen, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, The Everly Brothers, Fall Out Boy, Jimi Hendrix, Billy Mann, Joni Mitchell, Graham Nash, Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Richie Sambora, Stephen Stills, KT Tunstall and Diane Warren, among others. Sony/ATV recently acquired both the Leiber Stoller and Famous catalogues. It is not part of the Sony BMG Music Entertainment venture.
http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/328

more.. more.. more

Sony/ATV Inks World Ex US deal with Diane Warren
Nov 20, 2007

resize_image.php

New York, NY – Sony/ATV Music Publishing Chairman and CEO Martin Bandier announced on September 24, 2007 that the company has entered into a publishing agreement with legendary songwriter Diane Warren for exclusive worldwide administration of her catalogue, excluding North America. Warren was formerly with EMI Music Publishing. The deal with Sony/ATV Music Publishing includes her entire back catalogue.

Warren, one of the world’s most successful and prolific songwriters, has had her songs recorded by a who’s who of artists, including Aerosmith, Elton John, Tina Turner, Barbra Streisand, Eric Clapton, Mariah Carey, Meatloaf, Chicago, Aretha Franklin, Patti LaBelle, Roberta Flack, Gloria Estefan, Michael Bolton, Whitney Houston, Neil Diamond, Joe Cocker, Pet Shop Boys and Cher.

Her latest release, entitled “Do You Feel Me,” was performed by neo-soul recording artist Anthony Hamilton for director Ridley Scott’s forthcoming film, “American Gangster.” It is slated for release in November 2007. The track adds to the nearly 100 songs written by Warren that have been featured in major motion pictures. In 1997, she received a Grammy Award for the theme song “Because You Loved Me,” recorded by Celine Dion for the film “Up Close & Personal.”

Warren set a record for the music business in 1989 when she became the first songwriter ever to have seven songs by seven different artists on Billboard Magazine’s Hot 100 Chart during the same week.

“Diane Warren is one of the world’s greatest songwriters, whose catalogue and future works we are proud to represent,” said Bandier. “Diane and I have worked together for years and there is one thing I know well: the world loves her songs. She has an extraordinary gift for putting into words and music the emotions we all feel.”

Warren began her career in 1983. Since then, more than 100 of her songs have become Billboard Magazine Top 10 hits across pop, R&B, country, Latin, dance, adult contemporary and Christian genres. Her track entitled “How Do I Live,” recorded by both country pop artist LeAnn Rimes and country crooner Trisha Yearwood, is the longest-running song on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart and Country Singles chart, respectively.

Recently, The Pussycat Dolls, Carrie Underwood, Joss Stone, Daniel Bedingfield, Christina Aguilera, Sugababes, Fantasia, Westlife, Travis Tritt, JoJo, Jessica Simpson and Faith Hill have all recorded Warren’s songs, many of which have become hits for the artists. In addition, she has tracks slated to appear on forthcoming albums by Jennifer Hudson, Daniel Powter, Mary J. Blige, Lenny Kravitz and Whitney Houston.

Warren has earned nine Grammy Award nominations, six Academy Award nominations and four Golden Globe nominations. The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) named her “Songwriter of the Year” six times, and she is a four-time winner of Billboard Magazine’s Songwriter of the Year Award.

Terms of the agreement between Warren and Sony/ATV were not disclosed.

About Sony/ATV Music Publishing (http://www.sonyatv.com)
Sony/ATV Music Publishing was established in 1995 as a joint venture between Sony and trusts formed by Michael Jackson. Sony/ATV Music Publishing owns or administers over 500,000 copyrights by such artists as The Beatles, Beck, Brooks & Dunn, Leonard Cohen, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, The Everly Brothers, Fall Out Boy, Jimi Hendrix, Billy Mann, Joni Mitchell, Graham Nash, Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Richie Sambora, Stephen Stills, KT Tunstall and Hank Williams, among others. Sony/ATV recently acquired the Leiber Stoller catalogue. It is not part of the Sony BMG Music Entertainment venture.

http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/332

that was a smart move for MJ to get dianne warren. that woman is a classic songwriting machine.

I love Dianne Warren or rather all her songs!!! She is cool!

Hey RastaPasta do you know if MJ owns any other music (or anything else) under a different name? Just wondering.

more..more.. more

Sony/ATV salutes OSCAR PETERSON (1925-2007)
Jan 09, 2008

resize_image.php

Sony/ATV salutes OSCAR PETERSON (1925-2007)

Since his death on Christmas Eve, Oscar Peterson has understandably been the subject of many glowing obituaries praising the Canadian-born musician as one of the finest jazz pianists of all time. He leaves behind a legacy of recordings which capture the astonishingly brilliant technique of his unparalleled playing.

Below is a list of some of the Sony/ATV-controlled compositions that Oscar Peterson recorded during his long career. As you’ll see, certain titles were chosen on more than one occasion.

For example in 1955, when Oscar cut an entire album accompanied by a predominantly string orchestra conducted by Russ Garcia, one of the tunes he chose was STELLA BY STARLIGHT, Victor Young’s haunting theme from the 1944 horror movie “The Uninvited”. Then a decade later for an album titled “Blues Etude”, maestro Peterson re-visited Young’s melody, this time in one of his traditional trio settings accompanied by his longtime associate Ray Brown on bass and Louis Hayes on drums.

ALL OF ME (Marks/Simons
Verve/Universal: 1959

CARAVAN (Ellington/Tizol/Mills)
Clef/Universal: 1950

C-JAM BLUES (Ellington)
Pablo/Concord: 1967

DO NOTHIN’ TILL YOU HEAR FROM ME (Ellington/Russell

EASY LIVING (Robin/Rainger)
Pablo/Concord: 1974

I GET ALONG WITHOUT YOU VERY WELL (Carmichael)
Pablo/Concord: 1978

I GOT IT BAD AND THAT AIN’T GOOD (Ellington/Webster)
Clef/Universal: 1952
and Verve/Universal: 1959

IF I SHOULD LOSE YOU (Robin/Rainger)
Pablo/Concord: 1983

IN A SENTIMENTAL MOOD (Ellington/Kurtz/Mills)
Pablo/Concord: 1973

ISN’T IT ROMANTIC (Rodgers/Hart)
Clef/Universal: 1953

IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU (Burke/Van Heusen)
Verve/Universal: 1955

JUST A-SITTIN’ AND A ROCKIN’(Ellington/Strayhorn/Gaines)

MOTEN SWING (Moten/Moten)
Verve/Universal: 1962

MY OLD FLAME (Johnston/Coslow) Verve/Universal: 1954

THE NEARNESS OF YOU (Carmichael/Washington)
Clef/Universal: 1951

PRELUDE TO A KISS (Ellington/Gordon/Mills)
Clef/Universal: 1952

ROCKIN’ IN RHYTHM (Ellington/Carney/Mills)
Victor/Sony BMG: 1949

SATIN DOLL (Ellington/Strayhorn/Mercer) Verve/Universal: 1964

STELLA BY STARLIGHT (Young/Washington)
Verve/Universal: 1955
and EmArcy/Universal: 1965

TANGERINE (Schertzinger/Mercer) Verve/Universal: 1962

THAT OLD BLACK MAGIC (Arlen/Mercer)

TWO SLEEPY PEOPLE (Loesser/Carmichael)

From Alan Warner
Creative Consultant

http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/343

more..more.. more

yes...this guy is my favorite piano player of all time.

i was truly saddened by his death. this man could use his left hand like most people use their right hand. it was amazing to listen to, and always will be.

i see him as the jazz version of johann sebastian bach. then again, i see bach as the jazz version of a classical (baroque) artist.

Last edited:
adding to the list....

Michael Jackson has bought a stake in Eminem’s back catalogue.

Jackson, who also currently owns The Beatles copyright, has bought Famous Music LLC from Viacom.

As well as owning Eminem’s ’Without Me’ and ’The Real Slim Shady’, Jackson now owns the rights to songs by Shakira, Beck and Bjork.

In a statement Jackson said: “This is a milestone event for Sony/ATV Music Publishing. The diverse collection of songs in this catalogue range from timeless classics to contemporary hits, and I am pleased to add the acquisition of Famous Music to Sony/ ATV.”

more.. more..

2007 Sony/ATV Grammy Nominees
Dec 21, 2007

resize_image.php

(for recordings released during the Eligibility Year
October 1, 2006 through September 30, 2007)

RECORD OF THE YEAR

• Irreplaceable
Beyoncé
Track from: B'Day
[Sony Urban Music/Columbia/Music World Productions]

• Umbrella
Rihanna Featuring Jay-Z
Track from: Good Girl Gone Bad
[Def Jam]

ALBUM OF THE YEAR

• These Days
Vince Gill
[MCA Nashville]

• River: The Joni Letters
Herbie Hancock
[Verve]

SONG OF THE YEAR

• Before He Cheats
Josh Kear & Chris Tompkins, songwriters (Carrie Underwood)
Track from: Some Hearts
[19 Recordings/Arista Nashville; Publishers: That Little House Music, Mighty Underdog Music/Sony/ATV Cross Keys]

• Umbrella
Shawn Carter, Kuk Harrell, Terius "Dream" Nash & Christopher Stewart,
songwriters (Rihanna Featuring Jay-Z)
[Def Jam]

BEST NEW ARTIST

• Taylor Swift

BEST FEMALE POP VOCAL PERFORMANCE

• Big Girls Don't Cry
Fergie
Track from: The Dutchess
[A&M Records]

• Christina Aguilera
for "Canyman"
Linda Perry

BEST MALE POP VOCAL PERFORMANCE

• Everything
Michael Bublé
Track from: Call Me Irresponsible
[143 Records/Reprise]

• Belief
John Mayer
Track from: The Village Sessions
[Columbia/Aware]

BEST POP PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR A GROUP WITH VOCALS

• (You Want To) Make A Memory
Bon Jovi
Track from: Lost Highway
[Island/Mercury]

BEST POP COLLABORATION WITH VOCALS

• Beautiful Liar
Beyoncé & Shakira
Track from: B'Day (Deluxe Edition)
[Columbia/Sony Urban]

• Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
[Rounder Records]

• The Sweet Escape
Gwen Stefani & Akon
Track from: The Sweet Escape
[Interscope Records]

BEST POP INSTRUMENTAL PERFORMANCE

• One Week Last Summer
Joni Mitchell
Track from: Shine
[Hear Music]

BEST POP VOCAL ALBUM

• Lost Highway
Bon Jovi
[Island/Mercury]

BEST DANCE RECORDING

• Love Today
Mika
Track from: Life In Cartoon Motion
[Casablanca/Universal Republic Records]

• Don't Stop The Music
Rihanna
[Def Jam]

BEST SOLO ROCK PERFORMANCE

• Our Country
John Mellencamp
Track from: Freedom's Road
[Universal Republic Records]

BEST ROCK ALBUM
(Vocal or Instrumental. Includes Hard Rock and Metal.)

• Daughtry
Daughtry
[RCA Records]

BEST ROCKINSTRUMENTAL PERFORMANCE

• Always With Me, Always With You
Joe Satriani
Track from: Satriani Live!
[Epic/Red Ink]

BEST ALTERNATIVE MUSIC ALBUM

• Neon Bible
Arcade Fire
[Merge Records]

BEST FEMALE R&B VOCAL PERFORMANCE

• When I See You
Fantasia
Track from: Fantasia
[J Records/19 Records/S Records]

BEST MALE R&B VOCAL PERFORMANCE

• Woman
Raheem DeVaughn
[Jive Records]

• Because Of You
Ne-Yo
[Def Jam Recordings]

BEST R&B PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP WITH VOCALS

• Hate That I Love You
Rihanna Featuring Ne-Yo
[Def Jam Recordings]

• Bartender
T-Pain Featuring Akon
[Jive]

BEST R&B PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP WITH VOCALS
(For duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

• Same Girl
R. Kelly Featuring Usher
Track from: Double Up
[Jive]

BEST TRADITIONAL R&B VOCAL PERFORMANCE

• Walk A Mile In My Shoes
Otis Clay
Track from: Walk A Mile In My Shoes
[Echo Records]

BEST R&B SONG

• Hate That I Love You
M.S. Eriksen, T.E. Hermansen & Shaffer Smith, songwriters (Rihanna Featuring
Ne-Yo)
[Def Jam Recordings; Publishers: EMI April Music, Sony/ATV Tunes]

• When I See U
Louis Biancaniello, Waynne Nugent, Erika Nuri, Kevin Risto, Janet Sewel & Sam
Watters, songwriters (Fantasia)
Track from: Fantasia
[J Records/19 Records/S Records; Publishers: Breakthrough Creations/EMI April Music, S.M.Y. Publishing/Sony/ATV Tunes,
Break North Music/Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Wayne Writers/Sony/ATV Tunes, J. Sewell Publishing, Golden The Super Kid Music]

BEST R&B ALBUM

• Funk This
Chaka Khan
[Burgundy Records]

BEST CONTEMPORARY R&B ALBUM

• Fantasia
Fantasia
[J Records/19 Records/S Records]

BEST CONTEMPORARY R&B ALBUM
(For albums containing 51% or more playing time of VOCAL tracks.)

• Konvicted
Akon
[SRC/Universal Motown]

• East Side Story
Emily King
[J Records]

• Because Of You
Ne-Yo
[Def Jam Recordings]

BEST RAP/SUNG COLLABORATION

• Umbrella
Rihanna Featuring Jay-Z
[Def Jam Recordings]

• I Wanna Love You
Akon Featuring Snoop Dogg
Track from: Konvicted
[SRC/Universal Motown]

BEST COUNTRY SONG

• Before He Cheats
Josh Kear & Chris Tompkins, songwriters (Carrie Underwood)
[19 Recordings/Arista Nashville; Publishers: That Little House Music, Mighty Underdog Music/Sony/ATV Cross Keys Publishing]

• Give It Away
Bill Anderson, Buddy Cannon & Jamey Johnson, songwriters (George Strait)
Track from: It Just Comes Natural
[MCA Nashville; Publishers: Sony/ATV Tree Publishing/Mr. Bubba Music, Run Slow Music, EMI Blackwood Music]

• Long Trip Alone
Brett Beavers, Dierks Bentley & Steve Bogard, songwriters (Dierks Bentley)
Track from: Long Trip Alone
[Capitol Records Nashville; Publishers: Ensign Music/Rancho Papa Music/Home With The Armadillo Music, Big White Tracks]

• I Need You
Tony Lane & David Lee, songwriters (Tim McGraw & Faith Hill)
Track from: Let It Go
[Curb Records; Publishers: Careers-BMG Music Publishing/Nervous Worm Music/Famous Music/Ed And Lucille Songs]

BEST COUNTRY ALBUM (VOCAL OR INSTRUMENTAL)

• Long Trip Alone
Dierks Bentley
[Capitol Records Nashville]

• These Days
Vince Gill
[MCA Nashville]

• Let It Go
Tim McGraw
[Curb Records]

• 5th Gear
Brad Paisley
[Arista Nashville]

• It Just Comes Natural
George Strait
[MCA Nashville]

BEST FEMALE COUNTRY VOCAL PERFORMANCE

• Famous In A Small Town
Miranda Lambert
Track from: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
[Columbia Nashville]

• Before He Cheats
Carrie Underwood
[19 Recordings/Arista Nashville]

BEST MALE COUNTRY VOCAL PERFORMANCE

• Long Trip Alone
Dierks Bentley
Track from: Long Trip Alone
[Capitol Records Nashville]

• Give It Away
George Strait
Track from: It Just Comes Natural
[MCA Nashville]

BEST COUNTRY PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP WITH VOCALS

• Proud Of The House We Built
Brooks & Dunn
[Arista Nashville]

BEST COUNTRY COLLABORATION WITH VOCALS

• Lost Highway
Willie Nelson & Ray Price
Track from: Last Of The Breed
[Lost Highway Records]

BEST MUSICAL SHOW ALBUM
(Award to the Album Producer(s), and to the Lyricist(s) & Composer(s) of 51% or more of a new score. (Artist, Lyricist & Composer names appear in parentheses.))

• A Chorus Line
David Caddick, producer (Marvin Hamlisch, composer; Edward Kleban, lyricist)
(2006 New Cast Recording With Various Artists)
http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/340

Hey RastaPasta I didn't know that Def Jam is part of Sony? Or is it just the right to the songs like Umbrella etc that are owned by Sony/MJ?

def jam is part of universal. is just the publishing or songwritters

Hey RastaPasta I didn't know that Def Jam is part of Sony? Or is it just the right to the songs like Umbrella etc that are owned by Sony/MJ?

Def Jam is one of the smaller labels under Universal...

but many Def Jam artist have their publishing rights under Sony/ATV...

Cha..dam... Ching.. Michael $$$$$

Back