Open General discussion - Katherine Jackson vs AEG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank god this awful trial is finally going to end.

What a nightmare.

I agree. I think this case was a fiasco from the very beginning. And I also think this trial did nothing for the memory of Michael. I don't care who wins or loses this case. I am just tired of this mess.

I agree with Crillon, a win for the Jackson’s will only embolden them to go after Michael’s estate and his children harder. In addition a win will give them stronger monetary as well as physiological ability to sabotage, attack and undermined the estate and kids.

I am so happy with the trial developments and they were as I hoped and posted about previously.

AEG had time to defend itself and I believe it was not used wisely so there was no need to delay the inevitable. I believe the plaintiffs in turn have reassessed their rebuttal and it seems they will keep it to one or two witnesses as I hoped and stated previously. I hope ABC7 will tweet about the testimony of the rebuttal witness, Detective Smith. I am glad the plaintiffs will call Metzger to testify. Some of his statements need clarification.

While I agree that the trial focused on Michael, it is logical as it is his wrongful death trial. However, the focus became his personal life choices and that happened when the defense started. They decided to divert attention from their own actions and focus on Michael’s past choices without ever connecting how Michael’s choices from Dangerous to early 2000-2002 resulted in AEG allegedly and negligently hiring the doctor in 2009. I agree with Jaydom7 that the trial clarified many of Michael’s health issues but, where is the connection between Michael’s health issues and AEG alleged, negligent hiring?

I understand foresee ability however; I do not believe the besmirching of Michael’s character because of his choices was an effective defense against it. An effective defense may have been to focus on the doctor’s past however, his past is not spotless and may have resulted in the jurors questioning AEG for not investigating his past - and making the result a condition of employment - even more so than they may presently be doing.

It was worrisome that there was not one witness or any piece of evidence to support Michael hiring the doctor during the defense’s case. It does not matter that Michael wanted the doctor; AEG had sole discretion on how they would retain the doctor and if they would retain the doctor. Michael, nor his past actions, dictated AEG’s relationship with the doctor. AEG did not speak once to their relationship with the doctor during their defense and that is very telling.

I agree at times both lawyer teams said negative statements. Michael’s daughter’s issues may very well stem from grief due to the lost of her father and how she lost her father. As crude as Chang’s remark may have sounded, it can be rationalized as several testimonies about Michael not being able to generate monies due to his issues were used by the defense to decrease possible damage payout have been.

I believe Michael’s legacy is not in any jeopardy. He created it, worked for it, and cemented it. Nothing anyone else had done, can do, or will do can change the mark Michael left.

If the plaintiffs are successful and I truly hope they are successful, I personally will not be concerned with what they do or do not do with the damages awarded. I can only hope, wish, pray they will find some form of solace and closure for their loss.

Last edited:
ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts
Chang: Do you recall having a conversation with Paul Gongaware about MJ's inability to sleep?
Dr. Metzger: Yes, I do.
"I wanted to be proactive and ready," the doctor said about HIStory tour. He testified he sent a copy of the plan to Gongaware, as producer
Dangerous was cut short so MJ could enter rehab. Dr. Metzger said Dr. Forecast gave MJ too much Demerol.
The doctor said he didn't think there was a plan for Dangerous tour. He didn't think a good job was done then.
"I know that Michael can't sleep when he's creating, or after he was creating, he always wanted to make it better," Dr. Metzger recalled.
The doctor wrote a letter detailing a plan to help MJ sleep. He said he sent a copy of it to the producer, MJ, Karen Faye, Debbie Rowe.

Chang: Do you recall having a conversation with Paul Gongaware about MJ's inability to sleep?
"I wanted to be proactive and ready," the doctor said about HIStory tour. He testified he sent a copy of the plan to Gongaware, as producer
Dangerous was cut short so MJ could enter rehab. Dr. Metzger said Dr. Forecast gave MJ too much Demerol.
The doctor said he didn't think there was a plan for Dangerous tour. He didn't think a good job was done then.
"I know that Michael can't sleep when he's creating, or after he was creating, he always wanted to make it better," Dr. Metzger recalled.
The doctor wrote a letter detailing a plan to help MJ sleep. He said he sent a copy of it to the producer, MJ, Karen Faye, Debbie Rowe.

And did Michael Jackson mention anything about sleep problems to the doctor who conducted medical test for an insurance company. The doctor very specifically stated that MJ did not mention an insomnia at all. What does it mean. It mean the problem was over. Or Michael Jackson just lied. And Jackson's lawyers and you want to blame AEG executives for MJ hiding his condition and lying.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what if Metzger remembers telling Gongaware that Michael had insomnia on a tour well over a decade ago, nobody would put 2+2 together in 2009 and that any concerns with Michael could be down to insomnia.

How come Metzger didn't mention this very imortant thing in his depositions? I believe he was lying and the Jacksons also gave him Debbie's testimony (which they weren't supposed to do) to try and explain somehow the German doctors. Seems like he was caught in telling different things in his depositions. Not a very good look for him IMO.

So what if Metzger remembers telling Gongaware that Michael had insomnia on a tour well over a decade ago, nobody would put 2+2 together in 2009 and that any concerns with Michael could be down to insomnia.

Thats because the plaintiffs wanna show that AEG knew about MJ's issues/problems or whatever they wanna call them but still went on to produce a show. If Congaware who worked back in the days knew about some issues re Michael, then he should've be more cautious this time around and perhaps knowing that those issues might reappear.

Thats because the plaintiffs wanna show that AEG knew about MJ's issues/problems or whatever they wanna call them but still went on to produce a show. If Congaware who worked back in the days knew about some issues re Michael, then he should've be more cautious this time around and perhaps knowing that those issues might reappear.

Whilst on tour. Michael wasn't on tour, yet. I have a problem with the Plantiffs asserting this as the bottom line would be that nobody should have entered into any kind of tour with Michael, because everybody knows that at some point he had issues with pain medication.

Metzger is testifying:

"Katherine Jackson’s side called Metzger to elaborate on why he called Jackson a “doctor shopper” a half-dozen times during videotaped deposition testimony previously played for jurors. Metzger said Thursday that his characterization only meant Jackson had to “shop” for “quality” doctors for his family when he moved to new cities. He said he didn’t believe his friendship with the “Thriller” singer was dependent on his prescription pad.

Deborah Chang: “Did you ever believe or suspect he sought pain killers for a high or sheer (pleasure)?”

Metzger: “No, Michael abhorred medicine and only used it when he was in pain. I don’t believe this was in any way a recreational phenomenon,”

Chang: Was your belief he looked for doctors to get drugs?

Dr. Metzger: No

“Michael was very private,” he said, echoing his deposition testimony. But he “would often rely on others and had faith in the medical profession that we would always do what was right.”

Metzger called Jackson an “extremely loving” dad whose heart was in the right place when he put masks and veils on his three kids — Prince, 16, Paris, 15, and Blanket, 11. "It was a beautiful, caring, solid relationship," Dr. Metzger explained.
“I think he did a wise thing in the early years, not exposing their faces so they could go out in public,” he testified. “We went to a few movies together, and nobody knew who they were.

He chuckled at a photo showing him with Jackson in a fat suit and full makeup for the singer’s role as the white mayor of a fictional town in the short film “Ghosts.” He said they visited a Baskin-Robbins ice cream shop together that day, and nobody recognized the incognito idol.

1235932_10151658421381616_1082472287_n.jpg

Last edited:
Gongaware did not recall discussing Michael's addiction issues on the Dangerous tour with Finkelstein despite Finkelstein's opposing testimony. He also stated he was not aware of Michael having sleep issues while Metzger has testified otherwise. The doctor was to be paid for his services during pre-production.

RadarOnline's article says the opposite of ABC7's tweets. It is the defense opposing the room change not the plaintiffs. I trust ABC7's tweets.

Last edited:
Metzger is another one confirming MJs lupus.

"The doctor said he became very close to Michael Jackson. He started seeing him in 1983 for discoid lupus. After, there was the burn incident. "His pain became unbearable," he explained.

"The discoid could travel from his scalp to his face, leading to disfigurement. The discoid lupus was very scary to him, Dr. Metzger said, and the burns came on top of the discoid".

Dr. Metzger said he would agree that MJ needed the majority of the surgeries he underwent, specially after the burn.

"During HIStory tour, his main responsibility was with Michael Jackson. He said he was never approached by a promoter/producer with a contract." Dr. Metzger said he never had the issue where he had to put MJ in danger to continue the tour. "I never put in jeopardy his health for performance," he said.

Chang: Were would your allegiance fall, with the producer or patient?
Dr. Metzger: Of course the patient, regardless if it was MJ or not

Chang showed Murray's contract to Metzger and asked if he was ever given a contract that says doctor could be terminated by the producer. "I've never seen a document like this," Dr. Metzger said. He said he would've never signed a document that had that clause in it, it's a conflict of interest.

Last edited:
Regarding last summer's mess.

Dr. Metzger met Katherine Jackson many years ago, he said. He provided some medical care to her last Summer. He gave Mrs. Jackson advice about traveling because of her health."Janet and Randy asked me to evaluate her health," Dr. Metzger said. "I've previously taken care of Janet many years ago."

Dr. Metzger: I advised her to fly to Arizona for a concert. I do not know where she was in Arizona, I did not advise her to go to a spa.

LastTear;3906319 said:
^^^^ I agree, I think there is something untoward going on, seems like as the plantiffs case has changed direction so has his testimony.

Also can someone please copy this as I'm on my mobile atm, thanks.

http://t.radaronline.com/radaronlin...media-from-closing,523c90e9da27f5d9d0238ffc/1

Stay Out! Jackson Family Moves To Restrict Media From Closing Arguments Of Blockbuster AEG Trial

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 @ 11:15AM | By Melissa Cronin

Katherine Jackson and millions of Michael Jackson fans around the world could get closure in the next few weeks as the Jackson family matriarch’s wrongful death lawsuit against concert promoting company AEG finally comes to an end. But RadarOnline.com has learned that Jackson is attempting to ensure that it doesn’t turn into a media circus as the lawyers for each side give their closing statements: On September 18, her lawyers filed a brief attempting to block a proposed move to a larger courtroom that could accommodate more members of the press.

“Counsel for defendants were quite startled — and concerned — when the Court informed the parties that the Court intended to conduct closing arguments in the large courtroom, rather than in [the room] where the entire trial has been held,” the documents read. “We write to ask the Court to reconsider.”

Jackson’s attorneys argue that “the conspicuous increase in media presence that will necessarily accompany the move could have a substantial and prejudicial effect on the jury.” They also claim that it could lend undue importance to the closing statements, which are legally less important to the case than the evidence that has previously been presented.

“For those reasons, defendants request that the jury hear the parties’ closing arguments in [the room they've been in all along],” the documents read.

But they won’t block out the press entirely, proposing that the court set up a closed-circuit feed in another room that will protect “the jury from the unsettling, distracting effects of media presence.”

Stay tuned to RadarOnline.com as the case heads to a final verdict.

Mertzer is biased towards the family and his testimony shows that. He said he did not tell Katherine to go to a spa, but to fly to Arizona for a concert. To me, going to a spa would make more sense. You can relax at the spa. If I remember correctly the concert was not in Arizona, so why would he tell her to fly to Arizona to a concert? It seems he is trying to stay out of the summer disaster. What a shame that Michael's children have to give evidence in a case for their grandmother, where the dr. giving testimony was part of a plot to keep the grandmother away.

I hope the judge's decision to get a bigger room at this late date has nothing to do with her ego, wanting her case to be talked about all over the media.

Some were saying Michael collapsed due to drugs, but Mertzer shows the real reason here:
-After MJ collapsed during the HBO special, Dr. Metzger went to NYC for 3 or 4 days to be with Michael.
-"He was dehydrated, he had a gastroenteritis (stomach inflammation with diarrhea)," Dr. Metzger testified.

Well, well. Talk about conflict:
-Cahan: Did plaintiffs' counsel help you find an attorney? Dr. Metzger: Yes
-Cahan: Are plaintiffs' paying for your attorney in this case? Dr. Metzger: I believe so. C: How much does he charge? Dr. M: I don't know

I think so far Mertzer gets the most per hour for testifying in court. Does anyone remember if another doctor got more per hour?
-The doctor said he's spent about 6 hours of his time. Cahan asked how much he charges and he said he was not comfortable disclosing his rate
- Cahan asked the judge to order him to answer, which judge did. He said he charges approximately $1,000/hour.

Sometimes Mertzer says Michael was doctor shopping as though Michael was getting doctors and not telling them what other doctors were giving him. Then, Mertzer changes and acts as though doctor shopping means Michael is looking for the best doctors when he travels. It seems he tries to do damage control for his statements and then forgets, and go back and say the same thing.

I noticed both sides deliberately did something they knew they were not supposed to do. Plaintiffs gave Mertzer Debbie's testimony and the Defense slipped in that Mertzer was reprimanded. Both pretended it was a mistake or misunderstanding.

Last edited:
As far as I know, Randy testified for free that MJ was druggie and in need to so many interventions that he couldn't remember when and where those interventions were staged and who was or wasn't there.

Didn't Katherine too testify that mother is the last person to know if son is druggie :eyeroll:
I personally thought Randy came off as less than credible in this testimony about the "drug use" and "interventions."

How come Metzger didn't mention this very imortant thing in his depositions? I believe he was lying and the Jacksons also gave him Debbie's testimony (which they weren't supposed to do) to try and explain somehow the German doctors. Seems like he was caught in telling different things in his depositions. Not a very good look for him IMO.

Exactly. And, Metzger's legal fees --at $1,000 per hour--are being paid by the Jacksons.

Having a "sleep problem" is a common malady for a lot of people and not considered serious. That is , unless the solution is not Tylenol PM but propofol. But Metzger didn't tell Gongaware that MJ needed to be hooked up to an IV with a surgical anesthetic to sleep. As Ivy has said so many times, we look at this with 20/20 hindsight and see more significance to a comment made in the past than is reasonable.

Last edited:
Having a "sleep problem" is a common malady for a lot of people and not considered serious. That is , unless the solution is not Tylenol PM but propofol. But Metzger didn't tell Gongaware that MJ needed to be hooked up to an IV with a surgical anesthetic to sleep. As Ivy has said so many times, we look at this with 20/20 hindsight and see more significance to that comment than is reasonable.

Except that Metzger testified that he wrote a detailed plan to help MJ sleep & sent copies to the producer, MJ, KF & Debbie Rowe. To me that signifies that it was not just a "sleep problem" like we all occasionally have but something quite major.

Except that Metzger testified that he wrote a detailed plan to help MJ sleep & sent copies to the producer, MJ, KF & Debbie Rowe. To me that signifies that it was not just a "sleep problem" like we all occasionally have but something quite major.

If by "major" you mean life-threatening, I disagree. Who has ever died from insomnia?

I've been extremely busy but I'll update the summary thread over the weekend.

As per ABC7 tweets:

The defense paid Metzger to testify as did the plaintiffs.
The plaintiffs are not paying for Metzger lawyer as attorney Eric George testified to.
The defense filed a motion to prevent the closing arguments from taking place in a larger room, not the plaintiffs as Radar Online is incorrectly reporting. The document Radar Online attached was filed by the defense as well, not the plaintiffs.

Crillon, Qbee, as per ABC7’s tweets, Metzger discussed Michael’s sleep issues with Gongaware and as Jrsfan stated, he had a written plan to deal with it. This does not speak to hindsight; it speaks to foreseeability. The plaintiffs have maintained Gongaware knew Michael had health issues on tour. Gongaware was on two tours with Michael and on each one he had health issues and discussions with doctors treating Michael for those issues. It is logical that Michael would suffer from some health issue during the TII tour as he was telling AEG he needed a doctor to accompany him and that doctor was already treating Michael during pre-production.

Interesting exchange below:

ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts
Putnam: You made a determination about the outcome of this case?
George: I do have strong feelings about this case, yes.
"One of the most important issues of this time is corporate accountability and responsibility," George said.
Putnam asked why George agreed to represent Dr. Metzger.

They may have known MJ had sleep problems during the tour, but in this case the tour wasn't even started yet.
I'm sure they know there are artists (singers) that finds it hard after the concert to get their adrenaline levels down to normal, but as I mentioned already, they were rehearsing, not touring. Who would think that someone would have sleep problems during rehearsals, or at least as bad as MJ had?

Sometimes Mertzer says Michael was doctor shopping as though Michael was getting doctors and not telling them what other doctors were giving him. Then, Mertzer changes and acts as though doctor shopping means Michael is looking for the best doctors when he travels. It seems he tries to do damage control for his statements and then forgets, and go back and say the same thing.

Metzer testimony is damage control. that is very obvious. his previous testimony was so damaging to the plaintiffs. In fact i find his latest testimony less credible. but whether the jury choose to believe him is another matter, I guess we'll find out in a few days.

Metzger said in his video depostion, which was done in September of 2012, that MJ doctor shopped and he never knew what MJ was taking, as MJ didn't tell him. After he was called to testify live, he said:
"I always liked to review what kind of medications he was taking to make sure there was no interaction," Dr. Metzger testified."

He was contradicting himself many times, he says one thing in his video depo, and different thing in live. I think he established to jurors that something changed after 2012 desposition ansd current testimony. Even thou he says that he basically didn't talk to any Jacksons about this case, but I belive that grannynappers talked to him as he seems to be in bed with those 2 crooks
---------------
"I don't believe I ever crossed any ethical boundaries with Michael Jackson," Dr. Metzger said.

Yes he did, the moment he started calling MJ his buddy or friend.
He obviously doesn't count in the time he called those German's to administer propofol to MJ.
Although, he himself didn't administer it, but by calling them, he gave wrong signals to MJ. No wonder MJ was confused with these doctors as Metzger told him about dangers of IV sleep meds, and in the past the very same doc organised doctors to give him IV sleep meds.
---------------
Cahan: Do you think MJ wanted to keep information from one doctor to another so he could more or less do what he wanted?
Dr. Metzger: No
Cahan played video deposition in the insurance company lawsuit where Dr. Metzger said MJ would segregate his doctors.
Dr. Metzger on depo: I think he didn't want to appear he was doctor shopping.
Dr. Metzger: I think he didn't want one medical group to know about another medical group so he could, more or less, do what he wanted.

This was really bad, as what he testified 2012 and now, has nothing to do with his notes or medical records what he said earlier that has been given to other parties. This was his personal impression.
-------------------------
Dr. Metzger: I went up to the landing where you could see the room where the kids said Michael was and the doors were wide open. Dr. Metzger claimed he didn't see any medical equipment in MJ's house. "He was certainly anxious and desperate over sleep," he said.

Interesting. I looked the diagram of the house, but I cannot see how could he see MJ's bedside or even his bedroom from landing?
http://cnninsession.wordpress.com/2011/09/30/floor-plan-of-michael-jacksons-home/
If he says he looking in from landing, he would have been seen foyer or closet, and oxygen tanks were in bedroom, meds in his bedside table or in bathroom and cannot be seen from anywhere landing area.
-------------------
Chang: Did you believe it was any secret in Australia that Michael could not sleep after the performances?
Dr. Metzger: No, I think everyone understood that. He was a perfectionist, Michael could not sleep after the shows.

Whats being perfectionist have got to do with anything? Most of the artist finds it hard to get their adrenaline down after the concerts, MJ wasn't any different than any other musician?
--------------------------
"Mrs. Jackson didn't need her son's money for necessities of life"Bina argued. "For 3 years she was getting $120K/year from daughter Janet"
and
Judge asked if there was record of how money Janet gave Mrs. Jackson was spent. Her money could be for the niceties.

For 83 year old woman, she went throught lots of money/year.
So Janet gave KJ money for niceties, and MJ necessities.
Astonishing that KJ didn't use money from the niceties to pay necessities such as mortgage, but was waiting MJ to give money for her necessities :doh:
------------------
Ackerman testified that Mr. Jackson was paying for many expenses at Hayvenhurst, such as utilities, transportation, food, mortgage.

Was Ackerman plaintiffs expert or defenses? I know defense brought out early in the trial that Haventhurst was heading to foreclosure as mortgage wasn't paid, utility bills weren't paid, but why didn't they put more pressure on that part, as it shows to me that for some reason MJ stopped paying Havenhurst bills.
-----------------------------
Judge: The fact in this case is Mrs. Jackson is an 83 year old woman, she doesn't work, she's dependent on her children to take care of her

She seemingly only depended on Janet and MJ, other loser siblings and husband did nothing to give her niceties or necessities.

Last edited:
Metzer testimony is damage control. that is very obvious. his previous testimony was so damaging to the plaintiffs. In fact i find his latest testimony less credible. but whether the jury choose to believe him is another matter, I guess we'll find out in a few days.

I don't think jurors find his latest testimony believable as defence caught him too many times during his testimony.
Defense showed many times that his lastest testimony differs from his 2012 testimony.
This wasn't in ABC tweets but in article they posted:
But Metzger said he couldn't remember a previous instance when he allegedly prescribed propofol himself. Rowe testified that in 1997, Metzger enlisted two doctors in Germany to administer propofol to Jackson in a hotel room, where they came equipped with monitoring equipment. The defense displayed a signed letter indicating Metzger ordered it.

That goes against many things that he testified yesterday.

I personally thought Randy came off as less than credible in this testimony about the "drug use" and "interventions."

I thought so too and could find many lies from his testimony, but his testimony wasn't for us. It was for jurors and it depends how much they are aware of family issues, they could be thinking as he is MJ's brother, he knows his stuff and believe his testimony. Then again if they belive his testimony, we can thank Randy for sinking his own case against AEG.

Last edited:
Stay Out! Jackson Family Moves To Restrict Media From Closing Arguments Of Blockbuster AEG Trial

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 @ 11:15AM | By Melissa Cronin.

That radar reporter cannot read court documents :giggle: It is actually defense (AEG lawyers) who wants to keep closing arguments in small room and motion comes from them.

I don't trust Metzger, this is all very convenient. What was involved in this sleep plan? I don't believe for one minute that Michael can go from Tylanol pm (over the counter meds, right?) to propoful, yes I understand the difference when major stress is involved, but that's a big jump from Tylanol to a general anaesthetic. I don't believe he is being truthful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back