Question about Michael and him playing instruments

MJ played musical instruments physically and he beatboxed, he could do both. There
is a demo of him, Randy, and Janet playing percussion on I think DSTGE and He also played guitar on state of shock.

Michael playing percussion, piano and simple guitar chords is not in doubt. The standard/complexity is -he could play what was needed to communicate ideas.

However, it was David Williams who plays the guitar on State Of Shock as per credits. MJ is credited for lead vocals, backing vocals, handclaps, Linn programming and producer on SOS.

Every and all persons associated with the production of all MJ's albums are given full distinctive credit, why should it be any different for him on his own album? It is what it is,
he played the instruments that the albums said he played.

Face it, He was just that talented.

None of the engineers have seen MJ play in the studio during recording sessions, but he did beatbox. Michael's guitar credits on HIStory is him beatboxing it which can b heard on TDCAU while Slash and Trevor Rabin play guitar. His credit on BAD for percussion is How Now Brown Cow -Swedien joke name for MJ's beatbox.

Checking the credits...MJ always played simple instruments like the clapstick. It was nothing complex -if MJ was a proficient drummer, guitarist, etc, he'd have played those himself instead of Boddicker, Riley, Bottrell or Buxer. His beatbox did the job and he got the credit.

well if u look at the credits on the history album booklet mj is credited for
keyboards and synthesizers
guitars
drums and percussion
i used to think he could only play a little but then we all know what a perfectionist mike was so he must of been quite good if he put himself on the album.
he said he didn't rap cos there were people who could do it better than him. the fact that he played on the album must mean that he was doing a pretty good job.

also read somewhere that someone asked him why doesn't he play more and mj said "thats for when i get too old to dance"

I agree with the quote above, that he probably didn't feel he played that well enough according to his own standards and maybe liked portraying the instruments with his mouth better, or had other musicians play instead of him, but if the credits say he played guitar one would would assume that's what was played (One exapmle is Morphine). I don't think anyone would go out of their way to make MJ look good or portray him as doing more that he actually did. If anything, he would have been outed a long time ago as beatboxing everything.

Also it doesn't seem that he always went out of his own way to show every single thing that he was capable of, it probaly would have seemed contrived.

Michael playing percussion, piano and simple guitar chords is not in doubt. The standard/complexity is -he could play what was needed to communicate ideas.

However, it was David Williams who plays the guitar on State Of Shock as per credits. MJ is credited for lead vocals, backing vocals, handclaps, Linn programming and producer on SOS.

None of the engineers have seen MJ play in the studio during recording sessions, but he did beatbox. Michael's guitar credits on HIStory is him beatboxing it which can b heard on TDCAU while Slash and Trevor Rabin play guitar. His credit on BAD for percussion is How Now Brown Cow -Swedien joke name for MJ's beatbox.

Checking the credits...MJ always played simple instruments like the clapstick. It was nothing complex -if MJ was a proficient drummer, guitarist, etc, he'd have played those himself instead of Boddicker, Riley, Bottrell or Buxer. His beatbox did the job and he got the credit.

My bad, you are right about the SOS guitar, however, I am puzzled why you seem so bent on mitigating his instrumental abilities as saying he played simple chords.
How do you know that every engineer said they never saw MJ play anything? They probably were'nt around him every second, or around him during every creative process.
As you can probably discern, I am weary when people downplay MJ because he was abused so much.

Last edited:
^^^The engineers posted on gearslutz in great detail and MJ would tell me them what he wanted to hear back via the musicians playing.

Hellbent on mitigating MJ's instrumental capabilities? More like putting it into perspective. Don't tell me...Bruce Swedien can't be trusted even though he worked with MJ from OTW through to Invincible yet says he wasn't that kind of musician, but could play guitar. Oh dear. As Quincy said once, playing is not the important thing - ideas and an understanding of music is much more important.

It's about complete realism - not blind faith.

Question to the bodyguards who are writing on a book;
Q: Did Michael play music instruments at home? I heard he used to play piano for his guests in Neverland.

- Yes MJ played the piano often and sang in the house, it was simply amazing to hear him cause that was the side of him we didnt really know.

Back