R.Kelly is a Better Producer than Prince

have you seen the video and heard how Prince had Tevin singing that song?? Tevin is Badd and the obvious MJ comparrisons are there,but still. and that Groove was a Broke Soul 11 Soul knockoff. you could play Soul 11 Soul's hits behind that easily.

Yeah I have but I get what you meant. The song does sound like "Keep On Moving"/"Back to Life" a bit.

Yeah I have but I get what you meant. The song does sound like "Keep On Moving"/"Back to Life" a bit.
Prince ain't no different than other acts who listen to radio and take what is out and put there thing on top of it. George clinton said that about Prince long ago.

he never hardly performs most of those lame albums material live eithert. He knows he has to perform the hits or end up performing at a county fair.

nobody is checking for his tired albums and lame Production. dude been played out since 1987.
People who like real music and not crappy producer of the month still buys Prince's music. People still buy his stuff even though he sues fans for puting his stuff online or starting websites for him. That's power. And he even made a song about it, lol. His last US tour from a couple of years ago was the highest grossing tour of that year with $96 million. And he performs material from those recent "lame albums" at his main concerts and his aftershows.

People who like real music and not crappy producer of the month still buys Prince's music. People still buy his stuff even though he sues fans for puting his stuff online or starting websites for him. That's power. And he even made a song about it, lol. His last US tour from a couple of years ago was the highest grossing tour of that year with $96 million. And he performs material from those recent "lame albums" at his main concerts and his aftershows.
Nosteliga always sells and always will. Prince wouldn't know real Music if it hit him directly in his head. dude is just riding off the past period.

R.Kelly writes, arranges and Produces his own stuff. He plays Keyboards and Guitar and Program beats. R has real skills no gray there.
Prince can play real drums, anyone can use a drum machine. R. Kelly's stuff all sounds alike to me and he can't sing. His stuff is only listenable when someone else is singing it.

True, that's why I said what I said in terms of "other people" he "produced". I think Prince had help (as some musicians). Doesn't limit his multi-talent but I think people put Prince on a higher pedestal than they should.
definitely, that's why i also think he's overrated by many, but not most.

I mean, he deserves the accolades and ISH. No one IMHO is touching Prince circa 1978-1987 but in terms of getting other people off the ground as a producer, he wasn't that "hot".
i agree and that's only one aspect of producing - and from that aspect alone, you can't argue who's better at it. but the thing is, was Prince trying to commit to such a role? certainly not as much as Kelly. that's another reason why such a comparison is a bit off.

definitely, that's why i also think he's overrated by many, but not most.

i agree and that's only one aspect of producing - and from that aspect alone, you can't argue who's better at it. but the thing is, was Prince trying to commit to such a role? certainly not as much as Kelly. that's another reason why such a comparison is a bit off.

Yeah, Prince was only using other artists to put out what he had wanted to sing, lol. Usually he did (Camille, anyone?), but other than that, I don't think Prince ever aspired to be a producer in the sense that Smokey Robinson was.

And IMO, Smokey is the ultimate singer-songwriter-producer. I don't even think R. Kelly's best stuff can touch Smokey's! Then again that's a bad comparison too.

Nosteliga always sells and always will. Prince wouldn't know real Music if it hit him directly in his head. dude is just riding off the past period.
wow thats what i call Prince hateration.

For no good reason either. LOL Prince makes money off his back catalogue, sure. Who doesn't? But he also puts out new albums very frequently. The last of which were pretty successful. Give the man some credit. Dude is a musical genius. And u don't have to be a jack of all trades to be a musical genius. People are looking too much for an 'all in one', someone who is ALRIGHT at everything, but not REALLY good at ONE thing. If u aren't a quadruple threat, then ur irreverent, apparently. So what if Prince "can't" produce as good as some others. He is SOLID at what he does best, he is a good performer, songwriter, and musician. That's all u need.

Michael Jackson, he can't read music. He's not producing everyone and their momma's albums either. He's not doing crazy licks on guitar and ish. LOL But what he does (sing, dance, write, and perform) is good enough.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does this thread seem incredibly random and hatful for the sake of being hateful? Prince is super talented, I don't see the need to diss him. If you think R.Kelly is better, fine. But some people are going to think Prince is more talented because he can do more overall. If you want to argue your points, it's best done in a respectuful manner where you give examples without insulting or being down right mean and disrespectful to other posters. And why was Michael brought in to this, again? Michael's more talented then all of em' anyway, lol.

Yeah, Prince was only using other artists to put out what he had wanted to sing, lol. Usually he did (Camille, anyone?), but other than that, I don't think Prince ever aspired to be a producer in the sense that Smokey Robinson was.

And IMO, Smokey is the ultimate singer-songwriter-producer. I don't even think R. Kelly's best stuff can touch Smokey's! Then again that's a bad comparison too.
Smokey is more of a Songwriter than a Producer but that is a different subject. Smokey is One of the Greatest Songwriters Ever but he ain't put in the same class of Producers as thom bell, quincy jones,gamble and huff,etc....

wow thats what i call Prince hateration.

For no good reason either. LOL Prince makes money off his back catalogue, sure. Who doesn't? But he also puts out new albums very frequently. The last of which were pretty successful. Give the man some credit. Dude is a musical genius. And u don't have to be a jack of all trades to be a musical genius. People are looking too much for an 'all in one', someone who is ALRIGHT at everything, but not REALLY good at ONE thing. If u aren't a quadruple threat, then ur irreverent, apparently. So what if Prince "can't" produce as good as some others. He is SOLID at what he does best, he is a good performer, songwriter, and musician. That's all u need.

Michael Jackson, he can't read music. He's not producing everyone and their momma's albums either. He's not doing crazy licks on guitar and ish. LOL But what he does (sing, dance, write, and perform) is good enough.
it is time to acknowledge the Musical Genius who is R.Kelly period. R wins.

it is time to acknowledge the Musical Genius who is R.Kelly period. R wins.

Good for u and Mr. Kelly :lol:

yes, IN YOUR OPINION, Kelly wins.

But in my opinion, I'm sorry but Feelin on Yo' Booty and You Remind Me of Something (or lets just say it, MY JEEP)...kills all musical 'genius-ness' for me. And thats just to name a few. :lol:

But hey, thats IMO lol. Everyone's entitled. So really u dont have to push urs down our throats. Really, u don't lol.

Is it just me or does this thread seem incredibly random and hatful for the sake of being hateful? Prince is super talented, I don't see the need to diss him. If you think R.Kelly is better, fine. But some people are going to think Prince is more talented because he can do more overall. If you want to argue your points, it's best done in a respectuful manner where you give examples without insulting or being down right mean and disrespectful to other posters. And why was Michael brought in to this, again? Michael's more talented then all of em' anyway, lol.
Michael doesn't play any instruments, except a little piano, and not on his records. And don't mention Morphine either, lol. Just a riff, not real playing. I don't know how this thread got started anyway, since Prince never put himself as an outside producer. He produces his own stuff, but very few others, discounting proteges. And no outside acts since around 1992, except two - a Chaka Khan & a Larry Graham album from around 1999. The outside few acts he produced sought him out, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Heh, I still think Smokey was a producer. You could tell how his style differed from Holland-Dozier-Holland and Norman Whitfield in that department. Whereas HDH would usually pitch up and be all over the place (which was fine) and Norman's sound was very heavy and loud (on purpose), Smokey came through smoothly, the instruments didn't have to compete with the vocals and vice versa. You could actually feel the music even before the singer said anything and then when the vocals came in, it was a WRAP!

Last edited:
Good for u and Mr. Kelly :lol:

yes, IN YOUR OPINION, Kelly wins.

But in my opinion, I'm sorry but Feelin on Yo' Booty and You Remind Me of Something (or lets just say it, MY JEEP)...kills all musical 'genius-ness' for me. And thats just to name a few. :lol:

But hey, thats IMO lol. Everyone's entitled. So really u dont have to push urs down our throats. Really, u don't lol.
as usual the R Haters never acknowledge I Believe I can fly, Heaven's girl, Step in the Name of Love, I wish, a Woman's threat, trade in my life, your body's callin. that is just some to name a few.

Feelin on your booty was a play on words and it is cool. you remind me of something is cleaver word play with a car nothing wrong with that or new. it is cleaver and people still talk about it.

Prince can play real drums, anyone can use a drum machine. R. Kelly's stuff all sounds alike to me and he can't sing. His stuff is only listenable when someone else is singing it.
the Linn drum machine Programmed Beats that Prince used on much of his 1999 album was tight. Prince as a drummer is just slightly passable. he needed Programmed beats. R.Kelly can Outsing Prince with his mask on and his mouth full of toothpaste. Prince's falsetto is cool but his regular singing voice sounds like a Bear being Pimped Slapped by a Clawing Kitty Cat.

Heh, I still think Smokey was a producer. You could tell how his style differed from Holland-Dozier-Holland and Norman Whitfield in that department. Whereas HDH would usually pitch up and be all over the place (which was fine) and Norman's sound was very heavy and loud (on purpose), Smokey came through smoothly, the instruments didn't have to compete with the vocals and vice versa. You could actually feel the music even before the singer said anything and then when the vocals came in, it was a WRAP!
i love Smokey but he was more of a songwriter than a Producer. same thing with Lionel Richie and i feel about Smokey and Lionel the same.

Yes he's made some good ones too. But to me they aren't "OMG Genius" great. Im not a hater cuz i own and listen to a lot of R kelly lol. Its just to me a good majority of his stuff isn't THAT clever and definitely not even close to genius material lol

Whats so indirect, and 'clever' about the words "What remix is this? Feelin on yo' bootteeeeeee"? :lol:

Yes he's made some good ones too. But to me they aren't "OMG Genius" great. Im not a hater cuz i own and listen to a lot of R kelly lol. Its just to me a good majority of his stuff isn't THAT clever and definitely not even close to genius material lol

Whats so indirect, and 'clever' about the words "What remix is this? Feelin on yo' bootteeeeeee"? :lol:
because if you pinch up on the Wrong BOOTTTEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! you might have Problems and alot of explainging to do.

He is a gifted Songwriter and is cleaver with Metaphors and he has a good balance of humor and seriousness in there and he can create and make a story on almost any subject and be dead serious and yet have humor there. you never know what you are gonna get with Kellz.

He is a gifted Songwriter and is cleaver with Metaphors

No he's not. He's a thief and if he deceived MJ and us into thinking he wrote YANA and got caught then what else hasnt he wrote? Then theres him having sex with minors..................................:no::no::no: I cant believe that any of you are even talking about this waste of space. And then to say he is better than Prince? Dear God!! Delusion!

be dead serious and yet have humor there.
i'll give you that one, son.

feh3k9.jpg

the Linn drum machine Programmed Beats that Prince used on much of his 1999 album was tight. Prince as a drummer is just slightly passable. he needed Programmed beats.
He doesn't need programming, just for the new wave type material or just to get a different sound that you can't get from live drums. He can play it himself or get Sheila E., Michael Bland, Morris Day, Bobby Z., or John Blackwell.

Michael doesn't play any instruments, except a little piano, and not on his records. And don't mention Morphine either, lol. Just a riff, not real playing. I don't know how this thread got started anyway, since Prince never put himself as an outside producer. He produces his own stuff, but very few others, discounting proteges. And no outside acts since around 1992, except two - a Chaka Khan & a Larry Graham album from around 1999. The outside few acts he produced sought him out, not the other way around.

You totally act like a Michael Jackson hater dude. I know you're probably not, but EVERY TIME anyone says something nice about Michael, you come along and hit it down in some kind of way. Michael is a better singer and dancer then either R.Kelly or Prince, and many would argue he's a better song writer and performer then either too, over all, he's got higher quality talent. Playing instruments is like an aquired skill. Unless you're like Jimie Hendrix or something, there's a lot of people out there that are very good and on the same level as either Prince or Kelly.

Last edited:
Prince's acoustic drumming technique has influenced the likes of Ahmir ?uestlove Thomson - hip-hop/soul drummer premier, and legendary producer J Dilla.

?uestlove:

Prince is another non-drummer that was very influential on me, again he was very sloppy. His work on the Dirty Mind record, he always pushed the rhythm, whereas an average drummer would just play a traditional (beatboxes a straight rhythm), he would always push (beatboxes), it was always off beat. But I was obsessed with being off beat, off rhythm. I don’t know why because of the human touch or whatever. Not to mention he is one of the pioneers of really good drum programming. Even though Herbie Hancock had one of the first Linn Drums for his work, and of course the Talking Heads, David Byrne did a lot of work with computerized drums. But I definitely know that Prince had one of the first models, he still has it in the studio. When we did the Electric Circus record Prince graceously let us use Paisley Park for a few sessions. I was in the basement and sure enough all this stuff is still intact, and we used some of the stuff. But I didnt know that that was a drummachine, because his programmings were so syncopated, I was thinking that just one drummer played his stuff. So for two years straight I would think if he took 7-7-7-9-3-1-1, a song that has a very complex near Weather Report-ish hi-hat pattern, that no human being can really do.«

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/TUTORS.9.0.html?act_session=190

I like Michael a lot and even own the Boogie album from the J5. How is saying not playing an instrument a put down anyway. I could say that about Whitney Houston or Frank Sinatra, it's not anything negative. A lot of people here just suck up to Michael that's all and are not objective. Just yes men. Just like the starter of this thread is a yes man for R. Kelly.

You gotta give it up to Robert though. He sure brings a lot of humor (intentional or unintentional) in his music and he's unapologetic for it! :lol:

"Trapped in the Closet" was just pure comedy. IMHO, it was BEGGING to be parodied (a'la "South Park").

"Well I was just standing here
And Tom Cruise locked himself in the closet
I ask myself why won't Tom Cruise just come out the closet
And nobody has no answers
AND SO I PULL OUT MY GUN! (screaming)
Tell me why Tom Cruise in the closet or else I'm gonna shoot someone!

Well I was just standing here
And Tom Cruise locked himself in the closet
Then John Travolta climb now
John Travolta in the closet too
Please Tom Cruise and John Travolta come out of the closet!
Let me calm myself down
AND I PULL OUT MY GUN! (screaming, oh Jesus here he goes with the gun again)
If Tom Cruise and John Travolta don't come out of the closet I'm gonna cap this b***h!

Now I've been asked to come up here
To get you both out of the closet
Man this is some crazy ISH!
Why won't you both just come out the closet and they said:
'We're not coming out of the closet so you can just go away'
But everyone wants you out of the closet
'That doesn't matter 'cause we're gonna stay'

Now I'm starting to get angry
So I pull out my gun! (screaming)
I'm gonna give you a count to three to open the closet door
ONE, I'm gonna shoot you both!
TWO, I'm gonna cap some b***h!
THREE... (closes door)

Now I'm in the closet, now I'm in the closet too."

----
:lol:

Last edited:
I like Michael a lot and even own the Boogie album from the J5. How is saying not playing an instrument a put down anyway. I could say that about Whitney Houston or Frank Sinatra, it's not anything negative. A lot of people here just suck up to Michael that's all and are not objective. Just yes men. Just like the starter of this thread is a yes man for R. Kelly.

Well its just every time someone compliments Michael, it seems like you come along and try and discredit it in some way. But whatever, I don't think you're a hater, you just sound like one. You said he doesn't play instruments and it came off sounding like you said it to try and take away from his level of talent, and it doesn't. He's purely, innately, more gifted then anyone I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Back