Rating Rod

What is Rod's best MJ track?

• Total voters
'Off The Wall' has the most infectious chorus, with Michael's multi layered harmonies - which he almost gets lost in! The groove in the verses does sound like 'Boogie Nights', but it is fitting since it represents the grind of the 9 to 5, with the chorus being the escape. The first time I actually heard this was on 'The Making Of Thriller' video tape. It matched the playful, horror montage very well - especially the intro (Michael was the one who did that laugh, lol).

I think Rod Temperton is the songwriter who came the closest to capturing something that Michael would have written himself.

Yes i agree with you 100%

I love

Rock With You ( Ii love this one alot in Michael Bad concerts love the way he moves)
Thriller
Lady In My Life
Baby Be Mine

Last edited:
'thriller' is such a well written song that stimulates all the senses; you *smell* the funk of forty thousand years, you *feel* the cold hand' you *see* a sight that almost stops your heart. the spoken word goes a bit too far, and I rarely listen to it. it's amazing how the suspense is kept without giving anything away. the whole song is built on threats, yet no one actually gets hurt. just like in the film. Michael is the perfect person to sell this song; he goes from being the mocking commentator, to being soothing and comforting, to being the ringleader that introduces us to the event/horror that is 'the thriller!' seriously, his range is incredible! both lead and background. interesting how the film mix focuses on the former.. that middle 8 section ('night creatures crawling') is another realm onto itself, and legitimately scary!

I think Rod Temperton is the songwriter who came the closest to capturing something that Michael would have written himself.
I'd say ,at least lyrically,the Rod Temperton songs are much superior to the songs Mike wrote himself. I love both though,and theres for sure a similarity.But it might be the other way,like Michael incorporating Rod's style of songwriting,in my opinion

Back