Recommend an Album

Re: Recommend an album

Lianne La Havas: Is Your Love Big Enough

61-cNGpZEcL._SL1425_.jpg

Listening to this today. Without a doubt the best post-Beatles piece of work. Nineteen Hundred & Eighty Five is probably my favourite McCartney song. Ever.

I think you accidentally embedded Band On The Run, when clearly you intended to show Flaming Pie.
Oh no. No no no. God no. Flaming Pie is good, but not even anywhere near All Things Must Pass, even.

That said, I need to go listen to Beautiful Night now.

^^ My two favourite PM songs (including Beatles songs) are both on Flaming Pie. Somedays and Calico Skies (that last one is heartbreaking).
Oh it is. To be honest, most songs on Flaming Pie can be linked to Linda and the whole situation in some way. Its like listening to someone mourn. That said, it's far and above most of the post-Beatles stuff. Its a sensational album. Even listening to Beautiful Night here is tugging at the ol' heart strings

I think the album was made in the midst of her battle with cancer, but I don't know whether or not they knew if it was terminal or not. There's a sense of finality to Calico Skies when you read the lyrics. It's the kind of song you would write about the love of your life when you knew they were going to be leaving you soon. I don't listen to it often, because it's a bit too sobering and real for me. lol
I've always taken it myself that they "had an idea" what was coming.

"I will hold you for as long as you like" is one of the most crushing and beautiful things I've ever heard sung by someone.

EDIT: I just watched the video. Christ. Tears.

I've always taken it myself that they "had an idea" what was coming.

"I will hold you for as long as you like" is one of the most crushing and beautiful things I've ever heard sung by someone.

EDIT: I just watched the video. Christ. Tears.
I hadn't heard 'Calico Skies' so I went over and pulled up the video-So beautiful and sad.

What was worse, the next video down, was a clip from 'The Concert for Linda' which I've never seen. And Paul said they were going to sing a song that he used to listen to in Liverpool while Linda was listening to it in New York-then said "Lonesome Town" by Ricky Nelson.

Hadn't heard Ricky Nelson's name in years and years-actually hadn't thought about him in years-so it was a jolt and I suddenly could see Paul and Linda when they were young, listening to it on the radio and started really tearing up.

Paul is a very lucky man.

I hadn't heard 'Calico Skies' so I went over and pulled up the video-So beautiful and sad.

What was worse, the next video down, was a clip from 'The Concert for Linda' which I've never seen. And Paul said they were going to sing a song that he used to listen to in Liverpool while Linda was listening to it in New York-then said "Lonesome Town" by Ricky Nelson.

Hadn't heard Ricky Nelson's name in years and years-actually hadn't thought about him in years-so it was a jolt and I suddenly could see Paul and Linda when they were young, listening to it on the radio and started really tearing up.

Paul is a very lucky man.
Isnt it just gorgeous? I'm glad Matty challenged my choice earlier! I've listened to it a few times today.

I had completely forgotten that during their supposed "falling out" period, MJ wrote a nice short message thanking Paul and Linda in the HIStory booklet

I truly think that Kylie is not given enough credit/accolades for her talent as a pop diva. Her 2018 album is a masterpiece and a triumph.....she just keeps on keeping on and I admire that. She turns 50 this year and is as beautiful as ever.

This is her first studio album in 4 years.....her fourteenth studio album. Kylie has sold over 80 million records worldwide, achieved fifteen top 10 albums and ten #1 singles in Australia, and in New Zealand has secured four top 10 albums and 11 top 10 singles. She is the highest selling Australian artist of all time. She is based in the UK and is very popular there, both as an artist and as a personality.

Her first single from the album, "Dancing" has been featured heavily in the background at Commonwealth Games events on the Gold Coast in Australia, over the past eleven days.

300298.png

Track Listing:

Dancing
Stop Me From Falling
Golden
A Lifetime To Repair
Sincerely Yours
One Last Kiss
Live A Little
Shelby 68
Radio On
L.O.V.E
Raining Glitter
Music's Too Sad Without You

Any rock fans, particularly fans of GNR or Stone Temple Pilots, should check out the first Art of Anarchy album with Scott Weiland on vocals.

51B1ZN80ZSL._SS500.jpg

Here's my review:

So I knew I had to check this album out. The sickeningly talented guitar virtuoso and singer/songwriter Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal in the same band as one of the coolest frontmen in all of rock, Mr Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver fame. With two such world-class acts in the same band, I was tentatively excited to hear the results.

What they have delivered, alongside lead guitarist and drummer siblings, Jon and Vince Votta and John Moyer on bass (Disturbed), is not only the best rock album of 2015 so far, but one of the best rock albums of recent years.

Weiland is on top form here, vocally and lyrically, the melody lines just sing on this album. It is difficult to choose a highlight, as every track has its own merits. Crunchy, dramatic album opener "Small Batch Whiskey" is superb, complete with two fantastic guitar solos, a harmonica outro and riffs for days - this has to be one of the best rock tracks I've heard in years. "Time Every Time" is reminiscent of Velvet Revolvers heavier tracks in places, but rocks harder than anything Scott's former band have done and after a few listens becomes insanely hooky ("tiiiyyyme, every tiiiiyyyme, every tiiiyyyme" will get stuck in your head I guarantee).

"Get On Down" is a truly beautiful piece of work from all involved. It centres around a repeating melancholic guitar motif in the verses before Scott delivers an anthemic and emotive chorus, with Bumblefoot and Jon Votta exchanging very tasteful and understated lead guitar solos, which compliment the track beautifully.

One thing I appreciate about this album is that there's honesty to the tracks, where the musicians work together to serve the songs rather than get in the way. For those unaware of Jon Votta's prowess on the axe, he more than holds his own next to Bumblefoot - which is no easy feat. With two such world-class lead guitarists in the same band it would be all too easy for things to become flashy for the sake of it, but the solos are tastefully done, they do not overpower the songs and sound more like mini-compositions in their own right as opposed to just mindless shredding/showing off.

Lead single "Till The Dust Is Gone" is one of the more immediate tracks that draw you in, with a stellar vocal delivery from Scott, and lots of subtle nuances to enjoy, from the understated arpeggiated picking in the verses to Bumblefoot's dreamy acoustic solos. The down-tempo, almost mournful "Death Of It" starts as a wistful ballad and progresses into a climatic rock ending which keeps rewarding with repeated listens.

Tracks like "Grand Applause" and "Superstar" are brazen slices of unashamed riff-centred rock/metal, very different to anything you'd expect to hear from Scott Weiland, but he sounds just as at home here as he does with his other bands, which is a testament to his versatility as a singer.

What the future holds for Art of Anarchy remains uncertain, but if the material on their first album is anything to go by, there is way too much talent and chemistry in this band for them to give up without a fight.

Soundtracks for Béla Tarr's films by Mihály Víg
I recommend Tarr's films too (not easy viewings though).

Here's a haunting piece from Werckmeister Harmonies:
[video=youtube;tRl3VQQ0GUA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRl3VQQ0GUA[/video]

Back