Songs that sound better live

Man In The Mirror, Heartbreak Hotel (triumph tour/ Bad87), Lovely One, Working Day And Night

Never seen/heard the live version of TDCAU - nice find.

Lyon '97 HWT - https://youtu.be/kEeSXxLvwKE?t=2m10s

IMO it doesn't really sound better, but as a fan, I really enjoy these live vocals.
Wow great find. Michael doesn't sound bad at all. In fact, I think his vocals are pretty decent.

Contrary to popular belief, Michael's vocals weren't terrible for the entirety of the History tour. Only during some concerts such as Munich.

Nice find lol. The only other one I knew was the scream playback failiure in brunei. TDCAU live is almost unheard of. It is nice to hear though.

There was also the Dangerous playback failure in Ostend.

And I think there was also a playback failure of Beat It at a concert in late 1996, although I'm not too sure about that.

Nite Line;4234748 said:

And I think there was also a playback failure of Beat It at a concert in late 1996, although I'm not too sure about that.

You are referring to ‘Beat It’ from one Australian HIStory concert in 1996.

MJ here sings fully live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji9_EO9STJc

Wow great find. Michael doesn't sound bad at all. In fact, I think his vocals are pretty decent.

Contrary to popular belief, Michael's vocals weren't terrible for the entirety of the History tour. Only during some concerts such as Munich.

As analogue pointed out, he's singing over his own recorded vocal so the resultant audio to our ears now is a mixture of the two. We can't really judge the quality of voice on that basis. What we can sort of make out doesn't sound dreadful, sure (if that's what you meant, sorry!).

Nite Line;4234748 said:

mj_frenzy;4234749 said:
You are referring to ‘Beat It’ from one Australian HIStory concert in 1996.

MJ here sings fully live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji9_EO9STJc
Those are the shows from the history tour I want to leak lol.
If they do end up releasing the history tour, I want any decent live vocals that were recorded dubbed in.

Last edited:
As analogue pointed out, he's singing over his own recorded vocal so the resultant audio to our ears now is a mixture of the two. We can't really judge the quality of voice on that basis. What we can sort of make out doesn't sound dreadful, sure (if that's what you meant, sorry!).

Yes, I'm aware that he is singing over the playback.

This version of 'Earth Song' is absolutely amazing, and I often listen to it instead of the studio track just to hear MJ's improv at the end of the song "Tell me what about it" *CLAP* :clap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEGV8czGrq0
And yes I'm aware the playback is used during this performance, but the end is completely live and amazing, which you all know anyway haha

MJ sounds really good to me on the Beat It Australia concert. He definitely still had it.

how could I forget 'she's out of my life'? :eek: he exceeded the studio version vocally and theatrically. it was a real moment. amazing how he was able to sound so controlled and clear right after he had been dancing.

I prefer the tempo and energy of 'heartbreak hotel' live. it doesn't sound as crisp or 'classy' as the recording though..

i'm speaking of the 'victory' and 'triumph' tours in both respects

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' Bad Tour and early Dangerous Tour
Human Nature Bad Tour, especially the 87 leg
Another Part Of Me
Heartbreak Hotel
Dangerous MTV Awards 1995 is on par with the studio version

Nice find Hulkamaniac, Michael's vocals sound quite strong there

I prefer the 1993 live version of that song, because it has the ''I cannot sleep alone tonight'' bridge.

Yeah I got to admit I love the bridge in the studio version. It has perfect timing and works perfectly to bring the chorus back with so much power, just like MJ spoke about how bridge should work. "it's escapism"

Back