Sony and Jackson Estate reach agreement for Sony to acquire remaining half of Sony/ATV Music Publish

I have to say, I am a little disappointed, but as soon as Sony activated their right to buy/sell I knew The Estate would never be able to come up with that kind of money.

It's good on one way (debt free etc) but bad in another that giving up something so lucrative is always not the best move.

I have to say, I am a little disappointed, but as soon as Sony activated their right to buy/sell I knew The Estate would never be able to come up with that kind of money.

At this point the thing I'm most interested in is what the estate decides to do with the money.

At this point the thing I'm most interested in is what the estate decides to do with the money.
i will be interested in that as well. Publishing was such a perfect investment for Michael, not only bc he was a musician, but so well versed in musical history and his roots are from such a huge musical legacy. Much more romantic a business venture than say, oil and gas.
I hope they find something equally worthy to invest in.

Well they better come up with better ideas how to keep mjs legacy alive considering the pretty much just sold it...

Are you kidding? Michael's legacy is Mijac, not the Beatles. How insulting

Last edited:
Wish they would use the $ to buy back Neverland.

How much is Mijac worth?

about $70 to $130 Million

and the estate has pretty much lost a lot of credibility that's for sure. They are being raked over the coals deservedly so. Social media will now see what MJ meant all those years ago when he said 'they are trying to kill him' for that catalog. He said it for years and years and no one did a damn thing to help him.

that's only because average MJ fans aren't business savvy enough to understand what is going on.

this was a buy/sell option activated by Sony. Based on the new information it sounds like a shotgun buy/sell. It means Sony made an offer to buy MJ's share. Estate's only option were to buy Sony's share. If they didn't Sony would buy their share.

As Gaz pointed out, you don't need to be an accountant to know Estate doesn't have $750 Million. Branca based on his previous and current statement tried to raise the money through investors. It also sounds like he might have succeeded but decided against it. The reason is also obvious. Because Estate still had debts and increasing the debt further wasn't a financially responsible decision.

As for the "tried to kill him for the catalog", it turns out Sony had the buy/sell clause from the start per the statement. That means they could have exercised it when MJ alive as well - assuming there was no limitations. It would mean there was no need to "kill him" to get the catalog. All they needed to activate the clause. But they didn't.

At this point I think MJ's estate needs to start a thread on this website (this is the biggest MJ forum right?) and have an open discussion with us about of what we want.
I know you can't make everyone happy but after this they need to try their best to do so.

about $70 to $130 Million

that's only because average MJ fans aren't business savvy enough to understand what is going on.

this was a buy/sell option activated by Sony. Based on the new information it sounds like a shotgun buy/sell. It means Sony made an offer to buy MJ's share. Estate's only option were to buy Sony's share. If they didn't Sony would buy their share.

As Gaz pointed out, you don't need to be an accountant to know Estate doesn't have $750 Million. Branca based on his previous and current statement tried to raise the money through investors. It also sounds like he might have succeeded but decided against it. The reason is also obvious. Because Estate still had debts and increasing the debt further wasn't a financially responsible decision.

As for the "tried to kill him for the catalog", it turns out Sony had the buy/sell clause from the start per the statement. That means they could have exercised it when MJ alive as well - assuming there was no limitations. It would mean there was no need to "kill him" to get the catalog. All they needed to activate the clause. But they didn't.

Have to say that last sentence has literately blow out of the water one of huge huge arguments the conspiracy theorists and anti estate fans have been waging ever since Michael died, I wonder if they will take note of that now its been publicized, think not, (not that I'm a Sony fan so don't care if it does exonerate them).

At this point I think MJ's estate needs to start a thread on this website (this is the biggest MJ forum right?) and have an open discussion with us about of what we want.
I know you can't make everyone happy but after this they need to try their best to do so.

I'm sorry, but I removed all association with the Estate as it was causing me to much grief, you can by all means email them directly on one of their MJ Online Team staff, oh and yes we are haha..

I'm confused. Are MJ's own songs sold to Sony as well? Or are they safe with the Estate? I hope that the Estate knows what they are doing. It's a good thing they're debt free now. They have a lotttt of money and I hope they use that money wisely to keep Michael's legacy alive with new projects.

Have to say that last sentence has literately blow out of the water one of huge huge arguments the conspiracy theorists and anti estate fans have been waging ever since Michael died, I wonder if they will take note of that now its been publicized, think not, (not that I'm a Sony fan so don't care if it does exonerate them).

I'm quite sure that 99% would react to this as "Sony killed him for his catalog" and will not realize that if Sony had the option to buy MJ's share since 1995 there was no need to "kill" him.

This is not about being a Sony fan or not. It's indisputable that MJ had issues with Sony, he made it quite clear. Nothing would change that. It just hurts the "kill for catalog" argument.

I'm confused. Are MJ's own songs sold to Sony as well?

No. MJ's songs are held under MIJAC Music and Estate owns that 100%.

Sony bought MJ Estate's 50% share at Sony/ATV.

and do what with it?

Umm hows about give it to mjs children!!!!!

Its rumoured paris has been going bck there and reminzing bout her father and that place is special to her.

Umm hows about give it to mjs children!!!!!

Its rumoured paris has been going bck there and reminzing bout her father and that place is special to her.

Personally I can't see a young girl of her age or any of them for that matter with what looks like a very active social life with friends etc (yes I'm basing it on the instagram account) living out in the middle of no where, lets not forget why Michael bought it, in mind was its remoteness so he could get away from everything and have some privacy, I really can't see a teen age girl wanting to do that same - hell she would go out of her mind with boredom lol Then of course the business element kicks in, the millions it takes to keep it just to name one. But its clear for Michael at the time he had those resources, wanted that kind of privacy it fitted him like a glove (pardon the pun lol) a teenage girl, sorry just can't ever see that working (y)

Anyway, I'm straying of topic - **shift thread back on to its rails** ;)

I actually thought they had been debt-free for awhile now-at least, that's how I read something awhile back. Wasn't sure about the debt they had to incur to invest in the EMI thing, but that was an investment debt, not that old debt that Michael had been saddled with. Apparently, I was wrong.

I have mixed feelings about it-I really wanted Branca to be able to pull an investment team together to buy out Sony's half-and I'm really sorry that didn't happen.

And I also hope this does kill all this conspirator rants and raves about Branca et al killing Michael for his catalog. That SHOULD have been nipped in the bud once the options from 95 were made clear, but it just seems to live on. Michael could even have been speaking symbolically about killing him, since the interest rate on his loans were sky high-that was killing him-and driving him even further and further into debt. Who knows.

It just makes me sad and I hope they find some really worthy assets to invest in.

Last edited:
I actually thought they had been debt-free for awhile now-at least, that's how I read something awhile back. Wasn't sure about the debt they had to incur to invest in the EMI thing, but that was an investment debt, not that old debt that Michael had been saddled with. Apparently, I was wrong.

TMZ had an article 2 years ago saying Estate is debt free. However Estate had only paid the debt on MIJAC and the houses. Sony/ATV debt was and is still present. So there was a mix up back then.

Well, hell.
I'm glad they have MIJAC and EMI separate. I thought they were merged with Sony/ATV for some reason.

On another note, 42 million dollar investment just sold for 750 million-that's quite the profit.

Very proud of Michael and that acquisition. Then and now.

$42,000,000USD in 1984 is equivalent to $95,769,702USD today when adjusted for inflation, if you're curious :)

-----

Honestly this acquisition really doesn't bother me that much since Michael's Estate still owns the masters/rights to his music. All I'm really keen for is The Beatles catalogue to go back to the original Fab Four, however that may be.

$42,000,000USD in 1984 is equivalent to $95,769,702USD today when adjusted for inflation, if you're curious :)

-----

Honestly this acquisition really doesn't bother me that much since Michael's Estate still owns the masters/rights to his music. All I'm really keen for is The Beatles catalogue to go back to the original Fab Four, however that may be.
Thanks, that's interesting seeing the inflation numbers.

And of course, the catalog will go back to them in not that many years, due to the Copyright Act of 76. So.....

This makes me feel sad in the way selling Neverland made me feel sad.

I'd hoped it could stay in the family forever.

It meant so much to him to say he owned it.

Makes me realize too that if he were still alive he would likely have had to sell Neverland and the catalog due to all his debts, issues he'd considered before he'd passed, and maybe it's better if he didn't have to live to see them go.

Just wish there was something that could be done about it...

Back