Sony Exploring Sale of Music Publishing Unit, Leaked Emails Show

Re: Sony hack: Sony Exploring Sale of SONY ATV

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sony-...-235123133.html;_ylt=AwrBJSDAVp5UdTIAWCzQtDMD

Sony Planned to Sell Music-Publishing Unit Owning Beatles
Bloomberg By Lucas Shaw and Christopher Palmeri
December 23, 2014 6:51 PM
????

Sony Corp. (SNE) was considering the sale of its music-publishing business, including a partnership with Michael Jackson's estate that owns the Beatles catalog, as recently as last month, e-mails released by hackers show.

The "top secret" plan was being handled in the U.S. by Sony Entertainment Chief Executive Officer Michael Lynton, Sony Corp. of America President Nicole Seligman and their U.S. Chief Financial Officer Steve Kober, according to a Nov. 21 e-mail from Kober. The company had concluded the business had few growth prospects.

More from Bloomberg.com: Dow Average Tops 18,000 on U.S. Economy as Bonds Retreat

Top management at Tokyo-based Sony was concerned about the complex ownership and governance of the business, whose owners also include billionaire David Geffen and Abu Dhabi investors. Details of the sale plan, including possible terms or suitors, couldn't be determined. The documents were released as part of the cyber-attack on Sony over the movie "The Interview."

Katie Schroeder, a spokeswoman for Sony at Rubenstein Communications, declined to comment.

Publishing accounts for 14 percent of Sony's music revenue, the main part being recorded music. Sony Corp. (6758)'s Chief Financial Officer Kenichiro Yoshida raised questions about the future of music publishing in an Oct. 3 e-mail to his boss, CEO Kazuo Hirai, and Lynton, in a prelude to a meeting of the three, according to messages released by the hackers.

"I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Music Publishing business, which has a rather complex capital and governance structure and is impacted by the market shift to streaming," Yoshida wrote in the message.

Sony Deliberations
Sony's deliberations on the publishing business were included in a planning document sent to at least half a dozen Sony executives, according to the Nov. 21 e-mail. That included a presentation that outlined they were considering the sale.

"We are very surprised that the attached listing includes the comment about the sale of Sony/ATV," Kober wrote. "As you know quite well, this is a top-secret project that is being handled by me working directly with Michael and Nicole."

Sony's American depositary receipts rose 0.4 percent to $20.86 on Dec. 23 in New York. They have advanced 21 percent this year.

The publishing division includes Sony/ATV Music Publishing and EMI Music Publishing.

Music Mergers
Sony/ATV was established in 1995 as a joint venture between Sony and Jackson, who had acquired ATV 10 years earlier. Former Beatle Paul McCartney had also tried to purchase the catalog.

In 2012, Sony paid $2.2 billion for the larger EMI Music Publishing, along with investors including Jackson's estate, Blackstone Group's GSO Capital Partners LP, Geffen and Mubadala Development Co. owned by the Abu Dhabi government. Sony/ATV administers EMI on behalf of the investors. Messages left for Geffen, Mubadala and Blackstone weren't returned.

Music publishers collect royalties from album sales, use on TV and other performances. The combined Sony publishing business represents stars from Bruce Springsteen to Lady Gaga and more than 2 million songs, including "New York, New York," "Jailhouse Rock" and "I Heard It Through the Grapevine."

The Japanese company and Jackson's estate each own half of Sony/ATV, which owns more than 750,000 songs, according to a press release from 2012. EMI Music Publishing, in which Sony holds a 30 percent stake, has 1.3 million songs in its catalog.

Together, Sony/ATV and EMI represent the world's biggest music publishing business, with Sony estimating a global market share of more than 30 percent.

The music publishing business generates about $500 million in annual revenue and $100 million in operating profit, according to a mid-range plan of Sony's music business in October that was released by the hackers.

Publishing Growth
Sony's music-publishing business will probably see sales rise 13 percent over three years to $617 million by fiscal year 2018, according to the mid-range plan circulated internally. Operating profit may rise 23 percent to $123 million during that period.

The e-mails were released as part of a devastating hack on Sony that the FBI said was committed by North Korea over the Hollywood studio's plan to release the satirical movie "The Interview," about an assassination plot against the nation's leader, Kim Jong Un.

I wish the hackers would leak some Bad Tour shows.

The estate and the beneficiaries will lose a major source of revenue. the more materials are leaked, the less money the estate can generate since the leaked materials out there for people to consume for free. The less revenues the estate can generate, the less money it can distribute to the beneficiaries. very cynical idea indeed.

When I read 'Sony Hacked' I was hoping that was going to follow with MJ songs! :(

(from other thread)

AtlasAir said:

passy001 said:
The estate and the beneficiaries will lose a major source of revenue. the more materials are leaked, the less money the estate can generate since the leaked materials out there for people to consume for free. The less revenues the estate can generate, the less money it can distribute to the beneficiaries. very cynical idea indeed.

uughh, way to suck the fun out of the room, Debbie Downer.
I was saying it jokingly, and then you do this whole long spiel about legality and bla bla bla.

You can always hope the one with the dodgy haircut in north korea is a mj fan! lol

(from other thread)

uughh, way to suck the fun out of the room, Debbie Downer.
I was saying it jokingly, and then you do this whole long spiel about legality and bla bla bla.

Dude, this stuff is no joke. Our musicians should be compensated for their work. The same way you get paid to work.

Last edited:
Dude, this stuff is no joke. Our musicians should be compensated for their work. The same way you get paid to work.
Jeez. I'm so hard core about that, that I don't even buy stuff from iTunes. Only physical albums, CDs , DVDs for me. But I was joking too.
I was picturing the leader of NK and all his guards in the palace enjoying an IMAX version of the Bad Tour on Christmas Day.

Omgggg, chill the hell out.
We all want artists to get compensated. I was joking! The hackers aren't giving a damn about some old concerts, that's why they went after the big movies.

Hackers, release all bad tour shows naowww!

Also, barbee, buying digital is still supporting the artist. I don't really buy physical media anymore because it's redundant. I'm just gonna rip it for my iPhone.
Occasionally I'll buy a physical release (like bad 25 and wembley) because of the packaging.

I know this might be off topic however Michael held his stake close for several reasons.. Not to mention my belief he isn't here anymore has to do with that Catalog so I guess it's easier just to "sell".

(I am sorry, but this is so Coincidental and very planned out)

..They also did say he was a drug addict and died of a drug over dose or wanted to make us think.. Really everyone think about it,
GAIN CATALOG + FIND BUYER = OUT OF DEBT!

Maybe I am being hung up on conspiracy theories however, That's my take on everything in the last 5 1/2 years.
Get Michael out of the way and it will lead to "GREENER" pastures.

Makes sense don't it?

ConservativeMind, because of the email leak, we know for fact that if this catalog is sold, it is due to Sony's failing (their electronic division). This is grand as there will be no need to spin the action as a failing of Michael's during his lifetime and/or suggestions he chose to abandon the asset.

I know this might be off topic however Michael held his stake close for several reasons.. Not to mention my belief he isn't here anymore has to do with that Catalog so I guess it's easier just to "sell".

..They also did say he was a drug addict and died of a drug over dose or wanted to make us think.. Really everyone think about it,

Maybe I am being hung up on conspiracy theories however, That's my take on everything in the last 5 1/2 years.

Makes sense don't it?

maybe ive misread. i apologise if so but where does it say the estate was/is intrested in selling their half. the articles about sony?

anyway it will be redundant if the tax man gets his way

Makes sense don't it?

So far the conspiracy theory was that Sony killed MJ to get his share of the catalog. It never happened and now it turns out Sony are actually thinking about selling THEIR share of the catalog, so it seems they do not want the catalog as bad as conspiracy theorists thought, after all.

Sony can do with their share whatever they want - sell it, re-buy it, whatever. Even if MJ was here they could do whatever they wanted with their share. That does not have to mean that the Estate has to sell their share too. They can keep it and be partners with the new buyer.

Yes this an on going issues and who knows where its going to end! But one thing I'm thinking about is could this be a plan For the Michael Jackson Estate to pay out Sony part 1? Prince Michael is 18 in February and can have legal rights to Michaels legacy!so could this also be the 5 year plan!?? Just thinking out of the box!

I'm really curious on how the Estate will play this new opportunity!

Hope they work with Universal music!!! or perhaps a number of companies? that'd be so cool

I really hope that the Estate will do nothing, won’t sell and won’t buy.

I mean it, if they sell – even if it helps to get out of debts, fans who like all conspiracy will scream and shout of hate!

If they buy, I really can’t see reasons for that too, debts here.

I just hope the buyer will be great for the Estate to collaborate with. That’s it.

I wonder what conspiracy theorists will think up this time.

Allusio;4067525 said:
I really hope that the Estate will do nothing, won’t sell and won’t buy.

I mean it, if they sell – even if it helps to get out of debts, fans who like all conspiracy will scream and shout of hate!

If they buy, I really can’t see reasons for that too, debts here.

I just hope the buyer will be great for the Estate to collaborate with. That’s it.

I wonder what conspiracy theorists will think up this time.

The Estate should never ever make buisness decisions to please fans or even consider stupid fans speculations....

The Estate should make the most money for the children - that's their job. Make as many money as possible, simple as that...

^ I know that but I doubt that after all happenings and straggles Michael had it is just about the money. There must be more to think over and to take care of, maybe such decisions must be made by PPB after all but not by Johns.

The Estate should never ever make buisness decisions to please fans or even consider stupid fans speculations....

The Estate should make the most money for the children - that's their job. Make as many money as possible, simple as that...
Make as much money as possible AND make sure the legacy lives forever. Integrity and quality have to go hand in hand.

Make as much money as possible AND make sure the legacy lives forever. Integrity and quality have to go hand in hand.

Soon enough they will realize that VHS quality will not bring in a steady income, especially with possible theatrical ventures! that would bring in three times the money, depending on how strong the advertising is though.. if they wanna take years off, then they can set up a museum among other thing's.. Sales & Income, giving Michael's kids good lives is number one focus, i'm glad Prince is working though! shows his independence.

Soon enough they will realize that VHS quality will not bring in a steady income, especially with possible theatrical ventures! that would bring in three times the money, depending on how strong the advertising is though.

Soon enough? It's not exactly rocket science, pretty sure already they know that VHS quality is always a very last resort (which I'm sure was the case with Wembley at that time). If they have located any required footage on film etc then they will no doubt use that source, as evident with Bad 25.

If they use a VHS quality source for future releases, I think we can pretty adamant that thats the highest quality source the Estate have :)

I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

however, If the estate did sell the catalog, and it was no long MJ's, I would have a hard time believing that was coincidence. Especially after how vocal/paranoid MJ was in his later years about that catalog.

but I really don't see them selling.

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainme...-competition-for-bid-of-beatles-songs-2049474

Paul McCartney facing tough competition for bid of Beatles' songs

Sunday, 4 January 2015 - 1:16pm IST

Sir Paul McCartney, who is planning to bid for rights of 251 Beatles songs written by him and John Lennon, is reportedly facing a tough competition for his bid.

Sony Music is planning to sell its 50 percent share in the back catalogue which brings in tens of millions of pounds in royalties every year following the devastating hack attack on the company's computers, the Daily Star reported.

A senior Sony Music executive said that this could evolve into one of the biggest financial battles the music industry had ever seen.

It is also reported that the estate of Michael Jackson which already owns the other 50 percent is also planning a enormous bid, along with billionaire moguls David Geffen, 71, and Len Blavatnik, 57, who owns Warner Music.

Jon Rubin, a music industry financial expert based in LA, said that he would imagine McCartney will need to find other investors and form a consortium if he is to stand a chance of once more owning the unforgettable songs he and John wrote.

Financial experts reckon that Sony's stake could go for up to 1.3billion dollars.

I thought by law the catalogue was going back to Paul and Yoko in a few years anyway. Why would he buy it? This sounds kinda like speculation.

Back