Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

Although I think it was a little harsh if someone got banned for going off topic, but yes, we went out of topic. The topic of this thread is Spike Lee's Off The Wall Documentary and its accompanying CD re-release. So let's get back on the topic. If that was the problem here, Gaz?

But yes, I would like to see Ronson on the next MJ release doing some unfinished songs.

I don't think what we talked about was off topic. We debated what might be the Estate/Sony's reason to seemingly not putting more effort into the OTW re-release. Of course, while doing so we may refer to other people's sales, the industry climate and sales of past projects by the Estate. I think that's not really off topic, or not to a crazy, unreasonable extent.

Like Bubs said, I don't think Gaz's comment was a warning to us (if it had been he would have made that clear), nor that Tygger was banned for the kind of discussion we have had in the last page or so. With Tygger it's been a long story.

I'm pretty sure everyone can work out why after chance after chance tygger is now excluded, unfortunately for the greater good of the whole community I have to make these decisions from time to time, and off topic talk although was a minor part of it it certainly was not the major reasoning.

Anyway BOT ;)

The VHS quality concert is certainly a problem for fans, but I don't think it was a huge factor in the lack of sales with the general public. Concert videos are usually not too big sellers outside of the hard core fandom of an artist, so even if it was in HD quality I doubt it would have boosted sales by very much.

It was definitely a factor in both fan community and in general public. A lot of fans boycotted the release because of that. I know I considered it but gave up eventually. For example I (general public for Queen releases) bought their blu-ray Hungarian Rhapsody: Queen Live in Budapest. I wouldn't buy it if it was on a damaged VHS transferred to DVD. I'm sure there are few others who would do the same with Wembley.

Like I said, if Sony sees that they can sell 143,000 copies a year of the original Bad album without any effort, any promotion, any investment, while putting money into a project like Bad 25 will not bring them any higher sales wise then they will draw the conclusions from that.

Yeah, but have you considered that this sudden Bad appearance on the charts is delayed reaction to Bad 25? How often would you see Bad on the Billboard chart before that? Thriller, yes. Greatest hits collections, yes. But not Bad. I'm not saying that people are buying Bad 25. But maybe they are buying the original album because of what 25th anniversary did for the album. Exposure of the album to the wider audience, younger audience through Spike Lee's documentary, through anniversary celebration and even through media acknowledgement of the album. I think this may be the effect because of the Bad 25. Not entirely, but one part for sure. New content aside, I think Bad 25 had positive influence on Bad album sales in general.

I think one problem with the release of the Bad tour DVD was you could easily tell this was video meant for the in-arena video screens. It wasn't recorded with the intention of someone watching it who wasn't actually in the arena watching the show. This really detracted from the experience of watching it in my opinion.

Going off topic wasn't the main reason why Tygger got banned. If you happen to post regularly, you may have noticed in every thread she participated in, she was looking for conflicts, unnecessary ones if you ask me. I don't mind anymore disagreeing with me but she belittled people's opinions for disagreeing with them, if you disagreed with her and no matter how many facts you stated, she was hell bent to be right, she couldn't stand being proven wrong. Also for a fan, she was a harsh Michael detractor. I'm not saying Michael can't be criticized at all, I've done it myself but there are ways to do it. Tygger had been banned for 2 months before, I think for the same reason and she continued with her same behavior.

Anyways, I thank you Gaz! I bet the atmosphere in the forum will be calmer now, sorry for going off topic.

It was definitely a factor in both fan community and in general public. A lot of fans boycotted the release because of that. I know I considered it but gave up eventually. For example I (general public for Queen releases) bought their blu-ray Hungarian Rhapsody: Queen Live in Budapest. I wouldn't buy it if it was on a damaged VHS transferred to DVD. I'm sure there are few others who would do the same with Wembley.

And was Queen's Hungarian Rhapsody a huge seller?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_Rhapsody:_Queen_Live_in_Budapest#Charts

While this article doesn't give numbers it does not look like it set the charts afire. It seems like it was a moderate success in some smaller countries and that's it. And it's the best quality you can have. It was recorded on film. It was released on DVD and Blue-ray. It's Queen who are popular and are considered one of the best concert artists.

Exactly the fact that even such HD concert releases do not generally produce big sales why I think even if Wembley had been in HD quality it would not have meant a huge boost on part of the general public. Sure maybe a couple of more people would have bought it, maybe some fans would not have boycotted it (although sometimes I have the feeling, for some there will always be a reason to "boycott", no matter what), but I don't think it would have made a huge difference.

For the record, I am not against concert releases. I would very much love to see MJ concerts released and in high quality. That Toronto Victory Tour show is my dream to get released in HQ now (possibly will never happen, LOL). I just say that concert DVDs/Blue-rays are rarely a big selling point for the general public, outside of the hard core fan base.

Yeah, but have you considered that this sudden Bad appearance on the charts is delayed reaction to Bad 25? How often would you see Bad on the Billboard chart before that? Thriller, yes. Greatest hits collections, yes. But not Bad. I'm not saying that people are buying Bad 25. But maybe they are buying the original album because of what 25th anniversary did for the album. Exposure of the album to the wider audience, younger audience through Spike Lee's documentary, through anniversary celebration and even through media acknowledgement of the album. I think this may be the effect because of the Bad 25. Not entirely, but one part for sure. New content aside, I think Bad 25 had positive influence on Bad album sales in general.

So the general public (that usually has a short attention span) reacts to the Bad25 campaign three years later? And that by buying not Bad25, but Bad. I find that very unlikely.

A documentary like Bad 25 surely can help but we will have documentary for OTW as well, so that element will be there. But I am not sure how familiar the general public really is with that docu. To be honest, I have never seen the Bad25 docu on TV here where I live. They keep playing This Is It over and over again but not other MJ docus/films. (They play his music videos pretty often and in great variety on the music channel, though.)

Last edited:
respect77;4128014 said:
However, I am a firm believer in that the Estate should not only think of commercial efficiency all the time. On Sony's part it is understandable, but I think the Estate also needs to cultivivate MJ's legacy and in that they sometimes should release material with less sales potential and with more appeal to the hard core fans. Or they should start a collector's label for hard core fans, like it was suggested once in a thread here.

Absolutely. All of my ramblings here are really just to open up the argument, and in some ways counteract the point of view, that quality releases won't be supported by the Estate because they aren't commercially viable.

And as respect says, why would Joe Public buy Off the Wall at £21 when they can get it for £5? The appeal of that documentary will mostly be in it's television audience, as far as the general public goes.

However, I am a firm believer in that the Estate should not only think of commercial efficiency all the time. On Sony's part it is understandable, but I think the Estate also needs to cultivivate MJ's legacy and in that they sometimes should release material with less sales potential and with more appeal to the hard core fans. Or they should start a collector's label for hard core fans, like it was suggested once in a thread here.
I totally agree, but even commercially speaking I think it is important to distinguish between short and long term effects.

-You can release an album full of remixes by today's hottest producers and make a nice amount of money in the short run, but if it does nothing to bolster the perception of MJ as an artist, I don't think this will convert into any sustained increase in sales/fandom in the long run. Opinions on this will vary, but I think Xscape actively hurt the MJ brand. Yes, it might have led to increased exposure among younger generations, but I don't think that benefit outweighed the negative of solely focusing on the remixes (demos were released but on a deluxe edition only, they were poorly mixed and not given any attention during any of the Xscape promo). Michael was presented as a singer, a hitmaker whose own musical ideas do not matter and is dependent on hot external producers to make something worthwhile, and I think that is extremely harmful.
-On the other hand, you can release an album, dvd/blu-ray or box of original material like outtakes, demos, concerts and documentaries that will not make you as much money in the short term because they will not storm the charts, but will make you money in the long run because MJ is presented as a genius artist whose catalogue is worth delving into.

Honestly, a very similar situation happened to Elvis. After he passed, shoddy, quickly thrown together products and cd's with remixes rather than original recordings were released for years. It did nothing for his reputation and, many would say, absolutely harmed it. I probably would have never grown an appreciation for Elvis beyond a very casual level, if it was not for the high quality releases that have come out in more recent years, after his Estate was taken over by people who are actually fans of his work.

And I'm not solely talking about collectors label releases here either. For instance, just last year Sony released an 8 cd, 2 dvd boxset on their main label featuring concerts and rehearsal audio, and both the original and a re-edited version of the concert film That's The Way It Is. They've released similar products in the past, including every bit of behind the scenes footage they could find in raw form, the stuff a fan goes crazy for. So apparently it can be commercially viable enough to release products like that for the masses. The only somewhat comparable thing we have when it comes to MJ is the WATW 25th anniversary dvd, and that of course is not MJ-exclusive.

I know I probably sound like a broken record because I have posted about these things several times, but that's because I really wish the best for MJ and because I know, through examples like this, that it is not just wishful thinking on my part but actually possible and happening with other artists. Seriously, look around and see how the back catalogue and artistry of other musicians, both dead and alive, are being treated. It really is no comparison.

What is a bad product is subjective. Do you think every great selling album is necessarily a great album and every album that doesn't sell is a bad product?

Absolutely, it is subjective. All music is subjective. Music critics are extremely subjective (you should see what is going on in my country! best album of the year and of course the best selling by far got 1 star from music critics just because they have different political views than the band! But that's another story). And the only objective way you can rate/rank music and artists are by their album sales, chart success and concert tickets sold. That is only objective and fair way. That's why MJ was the best of all times, objectively. Not subjectively because some music critic said so. People made him the best by buying his records and concert tickets.

Of course, that every great selling album is NOT necessarily a great album! But it's not a bad one either. There is a saying in my country that goes something like this: you can package the sh*t in a nice package and put a bow on it, but when you unpack it, it will still be just sh*t. So even without all the media propaganda and subjective music critics and radio editors, Adele & Taylor would still sell pretty well. Not 14 mil copies well, but still very very well. And I don't like their music but I can't say it's bad music. That's my view on that.

I totally agree, but even commercially speaking I think it is important to distinguish between short and long term effects.

-You can release an album full of remixes by today's hottest producers and make a nice amount of money in the short run, but if it does nothing to bolster the perception of MJ as an artist, I don't think this will convert into any sustained increase in sales/fandom in the long run. Opinions on this will vary, but I think Xscape actively hurt the MJ brand. Yes, it might have led to increased exposure among younger generations, but I don't think that benefit outweighed the negative of solely focusing on the remixes (demos were released but on a deluxe edition only, they were poorly mixed and not given any attention during any of the Xscape promo). Michael was presented as a singer, a hitmaker whose own musical ideas do not matter and is dependent on hot external producers to make something worthwhile, and I think that is extremely harmful.
-On the other hand, you can release an album, dvd/blu-ray or box of original material like outtakes, demos, concerts and documentaries that will not make you as much money in the short term because they will not storm the charts, but will make you money in the long run because MJ is presented as a genius artist whose catalogue is worth delving into.

Honestly, a very similar situation happened to Elvis. After he passed, shoddy, quickly thrown together products and cd's with remixes rather than original recordings were released for years. It did nothing for his reputation and, many would say, absolutely harmed it. I probably would have never grown an appreciation for Elvis beyond a very casual level, if it was not for the high quality releases that have come out in more recent years, after his Estate was taken over by people who are actually fans of his work.

And I'm not solely talking about collectors label releases here either. For instance, just last year Sony released an 8 cd, 2 dvd boxset on their main label featuring concerts and rehearsal audio, and both the original and a re-edited version of the concert film That's The Way It Is. They've released similar products in the past, including every bit of behind the scenes footage they could find in raw form, the stuff a fan goes crazy for. So apparently it can be commercially viable enough to release products like that for the masses. The only somewhat comparable thing we have when it comes to MJ is the WATW 25th anniversary dvd, and that of course is not MJ-exclusive.

I know I probably sound like a broken record because I have posted about these things several times, but that's because I really wish the best for MJ and because I know, through examples like this, that it is not just wishful thinking on my part but actually possible and happening with other artists. Seriously, look around and see how the back catalogue and artistry of other musicians, both dead and alive, are being treated. It really is no comparison.

I agree with this.

I simply tried to explain why commercially the Estate/Sony may make certain decisions - in this case not putting much more effort into this release. Of course, I'd much prefer to have a package with demos, both of the songs that are on the album and unreleased ones. I'd like to have a nice Triumph Tour DVD/Blue-ray attached in high quality. I'd like a 70 page book attached with pictures and with describing the creative process and each song on OTW. I also said several times I don't buy the argument that it's not commercially viable. If it is commercially viable for Pipes of Peace, how can it not be for Off The Wall which a much more significant and popular album in pop music history?

But obviously Sony/the Estate go for the maximum possible profit. While an elaborate project like this can be made commercially viable it's probably not profitable ENOUGH for them. Probably it's because of the deal Sony has with the Estate (Sony paid out a lot of money for that) that they rather want to maximize short term profit. I don't blame Sony, they are a business in first place, but the Estate needs to pay more attention to artistic considerations and the long term in their treatment of MJ's legacy.

which is not my priority as a hard core fan who is interested in Michael's art in the first place not Timbaland's or anyone else's.

I also consider myself to be a hardcore fan and I'm also not interested in Timbaland's art. But what you and many others failed to see in Xscape is that it is still Michael's art and not anyone else's. But nevermind. We obviously disagree on that one.

I don't think that was the only reason he got banned, and don't think Gaz's post meant warning to stay on topic. Tygger's only reason here was to insert in every post how bad executors are and to be honest, seemingly he was obsessively trying to get Ivy, no matter what was the topic.

Ok, sorry then. I thought it was a warning for us because I didn't know what he did.

Anyways, I thought Ronson could be good choice to work on next release, but I'm not certain about "finishing" MJ's songs:)

Then to do what? Remixes of already released songs? I'm not interested in remixes. He did one song for MICHAEL album, I would first like to hear that one and what he did with it and then decide if he deserves another chance. But I would give him a try on the next posthumous studio release. Maybe just one track for the start.

He is also in the Spike's doc? Isn't he? We'll see what will he have to say about MJ. Maybe that will be a good start to see him. We'll see.

So the general public (that usually has a short attention span) reacts to the Bad25 campaign three years later? And that by buying not Bad25, but Bad. I find that very unlikely.

A documentary like Bad 25 surely can help but we will have documentary for OTW as well, so that element will be there. But I am not sure how familiar the general public really is with that docu. To be honest, I have never seen the Bad25 docu on TV here where I live. They keep playing This Is It over and over again but not other MJ docus/films. (They play his music videos pretty often and in great variety on the music channel, though.)

I just think that everyone including general public and critics had started to appreciate Bad album more after Bad 25 happened. May be the effect of Bad 25, may be not. But how do you explain sudden constant appearance of Bad on Billboard chart in the last year or so? Before that was always Thriller, Thriller, Number Ones, Thriller. Maybe they just stock Bad albums better? I think Bad 25 campaign had some influence on that.

And the only objective way you can rate/rank music and artists are by their album sales, chart success and concert tickets sold. That is only objective and fair way. That's why MJ was the best of all times, objectively. Not subjectively because some music critic said so. People made him the best by buying his records and concert tickets.

Record sales don't objectively say anything about who is the best artist of all times. (There is not such, BTW. How do you compare apples and oranges, say a classical musician with a rapper? And they both can be the greatest in what they do.) They only can tell objectively about who is the best selling artist of all times which is different to being the best.

(Of course, to me MJ is the best but that has nothing to do with his sales.)

Of course, that every great selling album is NOT necessarily a great album! But it's not a bad one either. There is a saying in my country that goes something like this: you can package the sh*t in a nice package and put a bow on it, but when you unpack it, it will still be just sh*t. So even without all the media propaganda and subjective music critics and radio editors, Adele & Taylor would still sell pretty well. Not 14 mil copies well, but still very very well. And I don't like their music but I can't say it's bad music. That's my view on that.

Well, just because artists sell well I don't necessarily consider them great. IMO a better measure of greatness "objectively" (if you necessarily want something as a measure) is longevity. Anything can be hyped up on a short term and made a big seller. Yes, even shit (I have seen many big selling albums that IMO are far from being great.) But if people still listen to it in 20-30 years then it at the very least stood the test of time.

Last edited:
Maybe they just stock Bad albums better?

Yes, that's very possible.

How do you think Bad 25 influenced it when the Bad 25 docu is so hidden by now that even fans have to go out of their way to find a Bad25 DVD and when the Bad25 package itself hardly sold? And for some reason it does not have an immediate effect but it does three years later? Even if people watched the Bad 25 docu on TV in 2012 it took them three years to understand what it was about and go out and buy a Bad album? I don't know, maybe it did have some effect, but it's hard to see a direct correlation.

Absolutely. All of my ramblings here are really just to open up the argument, and in some ways counteract the point of view, that quality releases won't be supported by the Estate because they aren't commercially viable.

Quality releases can be commercially viable. That should be the main goal for everyone. That's why I think Xscape was a good start and a good way for the future releases. I know some people will disagree.

-You can release an album full of remixes by today's hottest producers and make a nice amount of money in the short run, but if it does nothing to bolster the perception of MJ as an artist, I don't think this will convert into any sustained increase in sales/fandom in the long run. Opinions on this will vary, but I think Xscape actively hurt the MJ brand. Yes, it might have led to increased exposure among younger generations, but I don't think that benefit outweighed the negative of solely focusing on the remixes (demos were released but on a deluxe edition only, they were poorly mixed and not given any attention during any of the Xscape promo).

I'm also against an album full of remixes. I don't think it will harm anyone or anything, but I think it won't accomplish anything. Just look at Immortal. I think no one will ever listen to those remixes over album songs.

But on the other hand posthumous studio albums with finished songs or contemporized songs in the case of Xscape can have and it did have a positive effect (short and long term) on current and future potential MJ listeners. I don't know if you remember, but when the album was released, several of MJ back catalog albums charted on Billboard charts for weeks (Number Ones, Essential, Thriller & Bad). For few weeks in a row MJ had 5 albums on the charts, more than any other living or dead artist. That was a direct positive effect of Xscape. And I, unlike you, think that that release and similar releases can and will benefit MJ brand now and in the future.

Michael was presented as a singer, a hitmaker whose own musical ideas do not matter and is dependent on hot external producers to make something worthwhile.

Maybe to you it seemed that way. To me it absolutely did not.

Yes, that's very possible.

How do you think Bad 25 influenced it when the Bad 25 docu is so hidden by now that even fans have to go out of their way to find a Bad25 DVD and when the Bad25 package itself hardly sold? And for some reason it does not have an immediate effect but it does three years later? Even if people watched the Bad 25 docu on TV in 2012 it took them three years to understand what it was about and go out and buy a Bad album? I don't know, maybe it did have some effect, but it's hard to see a direct correlation.

I don't know, maybe by word of mouth. The Weekend (the artists) few days ago said his best album ever is MJ's Bad. I just feel the album started to receive the recognition that it deserves, that it deserves from day 1, but it didn't get. It was always considered as Thriller follow up that failed to become Thriller. I just think that it is appreciated more, by general audience and by critics. I don't know why. May be the effect of Bad 25, may be not. But it somehow happened overnight and I'm glad. The album really deserves the recognition it's finally getting.

With the willingness of many consumers to BUY music first shifting - many years ago with the rise of the internet - to rather PIRATING it instead and a recent trend of those left who still pay (at least sometimes) shifting to (mostly) ONLY PAY FOR A MUSIC STREAMING SERVICE, the potential consumer base that could buy any physical/digital MJ music product will further shrink.

I hope they release a real trailer for the doc. I can't wait. :)

I can't keep track. Are we mad because the Off The Wall disc wont have new stuff?
Wouldn't the doc be new enough? No, its not the Triumph Tour, but its better than waiting forever AFTER airing on TV like Bad 25 did.

Also, it's implied that Triumph tour material will be in the doc, right? (Based off the commercial)

This made me chuckle. I lose track too since it seems fans stay mad about something.

http://www.barryschultzphotography.com/blog/

Picture-3.png

Film Director Spike Lee selected this photo of Michael Jackson to be used in his upcoming film,
“Michael Jackson’s Journey from Motown to Off the Wall”.

Lee’s last documentary film on Michael, “BAD”, was extremely well done and very well liked even by
non Jackson fans.

“Off the Wall” will premiere at The Sundance Film Festival in January 2016.
I made this photo of Michael while he was in Amsterdam to promote a new solo album in 1979.
We did these exclusive photos while we were totally alone in an underground passage by the entrance to
the Amsterdam Casino between the Sonesta Hotel and The Koepel Church.
I got him to autograph a Jackson’s album for me which I still have.
Michael was soft-spoken and very kind. He posed for me as I suggested.

Looks good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54kIhEQ7p0&feature=youtu.be

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F54kIhEQ7p0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Published on 12 Jan 2016

Don't miss the premiere of Showtime's Documentary Michael Jackson's Journey from Motown to Off The Wall Friday, February 5th.

The film focuses on a rarely examined chapter of Jackson&#8217;s career as he evolves from the lead singer of Jackson 5 to a solo artist recording what will become his breakthrough, seminal 1979 pop record, Off The Wall. Audiences will travel with the global superstar as he strikes a new path with CBS Records, first with his brothers as The Jacksons and then stepping out on his own to create his own music with his own team. This illuminating portrait traces how an earnest, passionate, hard-working young man becomes the &#8220;King of Pop.&#8221;

MICHAEL JACKSON&#8217;S JOURNEY FROM MOTOWN TO OFF THE WALL contains a wealth of footage, including material from Michael&#8217;s personal archive, and in his own words. The documentary also includes interviews with prominent entertainment and sports stars including Lee Daniels, The Weeknd, Pharrell Williams, Kobe Bryant, Misty Copeland, Mark Ronson, John Legend, Questlove, L.A. Reid, and more, as well as his parents Katherine and Joe Jackson, and his brothers Jackie and Marlon Jackson. Off The Wall created a whole new category in pop music. Written by Michael Jackson, the first single from Off The Wall, &#8220;Don&#8217;t Stop &#8216;Til You Get Enough,&#8221; earned Jackson his first Grammy® and was his first single to hit No. 1 in the U.S. and internationally as a solo artist. The album was an enormous commercial success; as of 2014 it is certified eight times platinum in the United States and has sold more than 30 million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling albums of all time. Off The Wall not only &#8220;invented pop music as we know it,&#8221; wrote Rolling Stone, it transcended music and entertainment altogether, becoming an important moment in African-American history.

The film is produced by Spike Lee, John Branca and John McClain.

Subscribe to the Showtime channel for more clips: http://goo.gl/esCMib

Never seen this before. Mark Ronson talking about the song he did for MICHAEL album. He says that the song wasn't as finished as the rest of them. Also he says that he did it for Xscape, not MICHAEL. Maybe he mixed them. It starts at 7:30. Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI9HcZWyH_4

I'm really hoping it's live streamed, I'm interested in the documentary, that DSTYGE tease got me excited. :lol: at Questlove saying "keep on with the forks don't stop..."

The footage looks promising. Sad thing is that from those 4 guys, The Weekend in most popular. Again Questlove with his lyrics ignorance. First he didn't know that it's not "Librarian" Girl, now he doesn't know that it isn't "with the forks don't stop". What an idiot! Just google the lyrics if you can't understand them! SPIKE, YOU SHOULD HAVE CUT THAT OUT! Not funny at all and little disrespectful! What "bizarre lyrics"?? And who are these other guys? Just no names for me.

The footage looks promising. Sad thing is that from those 4 guys, The Weekend in most popular. Again Questlove with his lyrics ignorance. First he didn't know that it's not "Librarian" Girl, now he doesn't know that it isn't "with the forks don't stop". What an idiot! Just google the lyrics if you can't understand them! SPIKE, YOU SHOULD HAVE CUT THAT OUT! Not funny at all and little disrespectful! What "bizarre lyrics"?? And who are these other guys? Just no names for me.

Dude... chill out! Questlove talks about he misunderstood the lyrics when the song just came out. I'm pretty sure that there was no such thing as Google in the late 70s to search for the lyrics to the song.

Ok, then can someone please explain what are the bizarre lyrics in that song?

Back