Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

Hmm.. It's isn't. It's actually his lowest selling album after Invincible.

Thriller 66 MIL
Bad 32 MIL
Dangerous 30 MIL
Off The Wall 20 MIL
HIStory 20 MIL

http://www.mediatraffic.de/alltime-album-chart.htm

But the media did. Also that's not entirely true.

He did not lose half of his fan base. He did lose some fans after the media persecution because of the purchase of The Beatles catalogue.

Half of the people who bought the album, not fans.

Not true. Media speculations about "skin bleaching" started before the release of the Bad album. And from that period to 1993 Oprah interview passed 6 years. Far too long time for media speculations and accusations of him wanting to be white and change his race. And when he finally admitted that he has skin condition no one believed him because of those media speculations. The damage was irreversible. Until the autopsy report revealed that he had vitiligo no one outside the fan base believed him. He waited to long with that and he did lose some of his fan base because of that (especially among black audience).

He didn't want to be exclusive anything. US leg of the Dangerous Tour was planned. If it weren't for 1993 accusations he would tour the US also. He didn't have to compensate anything. He toured the world to expand his market and to gain new fans. He did lose some of the fans in US, that I agree with, mainly because of the things I said before (media persecution because of the purchase of The Beatles catalogue and media speculations and accusations of skin bleaching). For the same reasons he also lost a lot of general record buying public that are not necessary the fans of the artist but they buy what's hot on the charts at the moment, like they did with Thriller.

The numbers u putting shows even more the suport he lost from Thriller to Bad

If u are saying Thriller sold 66 million and Bad sold 32 million, 66-32 is 34, that means he lost 34 million fans which is over 50%

The actual sales of Thriller during its initial run was around 47 million and Bad 25 million

Most of the fans who did not buy Bad in the states who bought Thiller did not know he purchased that catalog

And OTW did provide the foundation for Thriller because without it, there would have no Thriller, no Bad, no Dangerous, no History, no Invincible

Only reason we havent heard more about its impact is because as a black artist, he felt shunned by the National Academys of recording arts and science only recognized dont stop til you get enough and the albun OTW for best r&b performance, and for years he rarely mentioned that album ir refered to it publicly

But when this documentary hits, will see how much of an impact that album had as it stands as the greatest r&b/soul album ever made 36 years after the fact

Last edited:
And people need to stop comparing MJ/Quincy album sales to others because those sales went beyond a normal sales..

I think you refuted yourself in your post because comparing MJ/Quincy album sales to other albums is actually possible and realistic. I think what you wanted to say is that comparing Thriller album sales with other albums should stop because Thriller sales went beyond a normal sales. Dangerous, like you said, sold almost exactly like Bad (without Quincy and in a period when MJ was highly criticised in media and by critics and without touring in the US) and like you also said HIStory (again without Quincy and with all the media scrutiny and accusations) matched/outsold the sales of Off The Wall.

Exactly! And all that sh*t started to happen, like you said, in 1985! The reason, not just that he broke every record set by The Beatles (media and critics all time favourite act) and Elvis, he also bought their entire catalogue! Not to mention, MJ was black! In 1985 that was not acceptable for black people in their beliefs. And over night, like MJ said, they called him a woman, gay, that he wants to bleach his skin to look white, that he wants to buy elephant man bones, that he sleeps in hyperbaric chamber...).

Michael was the same black person who broke all the album sales records and dropped all those great videos and he was the most respected music figure in the country by a mile in 1983, Thriller had already outsold the Beatles and Elvis most successful albums sales wise

With the Beatles catalog, it wasnt that the media didnt like it, it was fans of the Beatles who did not like what they felt was Michael using their music for commercial purposes....thats where the flack started

popularity

The numbers u putting shows even more the suport he lost from Thriller to Bad

If u are saying Thriller sold 66 million and Bad sold 32 million, 66-32 is 34, that means he lost 34 million fans which is over 50%

The actual sales of Thriller during its initial run was around 47 million and Bad 25 million
What about what I posted earlier in this thread.

Which is like other big albums such as Born In The USA (Bruce Springsteen), Rumours (Fleetwood Mac) Purple Rain (Prince & The Revolution), Jagged Little Pill (Alanis Morrisette), self titled aka Black Album (Metallica), Come Away With Me (Norah Jones), etc. Those acts never had any other album that had the same success. Whitney Houston had 3 albums that sold big though, the first 2 and the Bodyguard Soundtrack and maybe Def Leppard's 1980s albums too.

It's not unique to Mike. There's a big drop from Purple Rain to Around The World In A Day & Born In The USA to Tunnel Of Love. Around The World was released a year later, no gap. None of the albums Prince & Bruce released before their biggest albums were as popular either.

Can we please focus on off the wall in this thread, it's over 40pages of arguments about record sales,quincy...etc, everything but a journey from motown to off the wall

I think you refuted yourself in your post because comparing MJ/Quincy album sales to other albums is actually possible and realistic. I think what you wanted to say is that comparing Thriller album sales with other albums should stop because Thriller sales went beyond a normal sales. Dangerous, like you said, sold almost exactly like Bad (without Quincy and in a period when MJ was highly criticised in media and by critics and without touring in the US) and like you also said HIStory (again without Quincy and with all the media scrutiny and accusations) matched/outsold the sales of Off The Wall.

Isnt that kinda what I said? no? lol

^ well staying on topic wouldn't be so 'Off The wall' would it? ... see what I did there? you know... since we're not staying on topic and going off the script we are being 'off the wall'... no? well ok..

We are off topic in dedication TO Off The Wall which in theory we're still on Off The Wall theme..

10354243_10208556087964748_81298184937704979_n.jpg

12642849_10208555738556013_2447413176734311589_n.jpg

12654419_10208555865679191_1981290696209544388_n.jpg

^^Yea-I'm reading posts from some of the audience on Facebook and they loved it-Hoopman, what did you think? Did they have a Q&A? I just realized that Branca couldn't be there, since I read in another thread that he testified in court today in LA. Too bad.

What do they mean by "customize your package" ?

It comes with chalk (the white thing on top of the album), and the gatefold of the actual album will let you be able to 'draw' on it with the chalk. Because you can 'personalise' it, it's essentially customising your package.

No reviews of OTW? Was the theatre full of MJ fans?

That chalk thing is kind of stupid. :D

I wonder what kind of sales they are expecting? I hope they don't have too high expectations. I'm not going to buy it most likely because I don't want to buy the album again just to get the documentary.

That chalk thing is kind of stupid. :D

I wonder what kind of sales they are expecting? I hope they don't have too high expectations. I'm not going to buy it most likely because I don't want to buy the album again just to get the documentary.

I imagine they're not expecting a great deal of sales tbh, there's almost no advertising for it, it's a pretty low-key package (yeah there's chalk, but apart from that it's just the documentary bundled with the CD from last year's reissue). Honestly if I wasn't on this website, I probably wouldn't even know about it. Yeah, the MJ Facebook page has posted about it like, once or twice but I do miss the odd post by them.

My theory - based on nothing but the timing - is that they're releasing this as a way to fulfil one of their agreed projects with Sony (given how a number of projects have to be fulfilled by the end of the contract next year). What I'm hoping is that they're focusing more of their finances and resources on some sort of anniversary release for Dangerous later this year. That's just my theory on all of this really.

I'm getting the album, just for that piece of chalk. This will definitely be a collectors item worth millions some day

What were the duration of the performances? any full length? Destiny, J5 & Triumph etc.? any great behind the scenes?

I'd say around a minute or so. Some great behind the scenes interviews and still photography.

The highlight of the documentary came during the DSTYFE clip, where MJ does this amazing dance and camera angle zooms in right on the target, like everyone was on their feet and the audience went just crazy!

REVOLT TV ?@RevoltTV
.@SpikeLee at Bam Rose Cinemas promoting his new Michael Jackson documentary.
CaKrgtDUYAIn5FS.jpg

^^These pictures are really cute. It looks like a great group of people won the drawing. I saw one guy wearing a tuxedo in honor of the album cover.
They were also raving on the dance step Hoopman mentioned.

I'm so glad they made this doc. You can tell by the pix and comments that audience weren't even alive at this time and I'm grateful and excited they have a chance to really discover it.

Back