Statement from MJ Estate Pg 12 #170 / New Yorker - Did Thriller Really Sell a 100 Million Copies?

Looking at The Guiness site it said 72 million albums... :wtf: Why did they put down the number if its certificate says 104 million albums?

IMO, the Estate's staatement that " Thriller has sold OVER 100 million should be and IS the final confirmation. I really don't think that they would have bothered releasing this statement if they weren't sure of their figures. The bottomline is that this Wyman person is trying to destroy or downgrade Michael's legacy and SOME fans are falling for the crap. Can you even imagine Beatles or Elvis fans "questioning" their statistics? Can you imagine this Wyman person questioning
Elvis' so-called "billion" sales? Of course, even a novice would know that Elvis has NOT sold a billion records with only 150 GOLD albums. However, we know that Wyman and people like him will never question THEIR 'pet celebrities' and will only go after one man that they feel is a threat to THEM, Michael Jackson. It doewsn't matter how these so-called journalist try to spin and twist the facts, Thriller IS the biggest selling album in history and FANS need to remember that FACT and stop falling for the ploys to divide and conquer. These people did the same thing when Michael was alive and they will continue to TRY and destroy or diminish Michael's legacy if they are allowed to do so. Thank God for the fans who continue to uphold and protect Michael's legacy and Thank God that the Estate is doing their job to uphold and protect Michael's legacy. If it were not for the fans and the Estate, Michael's legacy would be destroyed because his family is doing NOTHING to protect it. This is the very reason that I will be so glad when PPB are old enough to protect their father's memory and legacy.

Looking at The Guiness site it said 72 million albums... :wtf: Why did they put down the number if its certificate says 104 million albums?

it happened right in the next edition, the 2008 one. They changed the text to something like "confirmed to have sold 55 million though MJ's management says over 100 million"

Bill Wyman has an agenda for questioning thriller's sales. The Estate could have easily ignored this debate and not said anything. However, for them to release a statement saying that Thriller has sold OVER 100 million copies means that they have access to facts that we don't know about. My problem iw with Sony. They have INTENTIONALLY downplayed Thriller's numbers for years and this really, really upset Michael because HE KNEW that they were doing this.

Sony has treated badly Michael over years. Probably the fact Michael is the owner of half of the company has to do with... I'm just guessing...

Sony has treated badly Michael over years. Probably the fact Michael is the owner of half of the company has to do with... I'm just guessing...
I think the problem is Michael owns 100% of his own masters, which means less money gain to the record company. In 09 Sony had to pay hundred millions to the estate to continue sell Michael's music after the previous contract expired. So it's not strange Sony always downplay Michael's records sale numbers over the years. Especially RIAA required the record company to pay for the certificate.

However, for them to release a statement saying that Thriller has sold OVER 100 million copies means that they have access to facts that we don't know about.
That data has the same problem as the forensic musicologists and wave forms to authenticate the Cascio tracks: They will never come out.

Bill Wyman has an agenda and probably some of the people in this forum who are questioning Thriller's sales. The Estate could have easily ignored this debate and not said anything. However, for them to release a statement saying that Thriller has sold OVER 100 million copies means that they have access to facts that we don't know about. My problem iw with Sony. They have INTENTIONALLY downplayed Thriller's numbers for years and this really, really upset Michael because HE KNEW that they were doing this.

I think the problem is Michael owns 100% of his own masters, which means less money gain to the record company. In 09 Sony had to pay hundred millions to the estate to continue sell Michael's music after the previous contract expired. So it's not strange Sony always downplay Michael's records sale numbers over the years. Especially RIAA required the record company to pay for the certificate.

I disagree. Far as I have seen any promo from Sony has always tried to elevate and promote Michael sales with high end numbers. Its the media and other places that try to downplay Thriller Sales. Sony stands with the Estate on the 100 Million. Plus they would be the ones who keep track and provided the stats and data to the Estate for them to be able to make that claim.

Sony promotes the 104 Million on their official Michael Jackson.com website and before that promoted the last known high end numbers before the stats were updated. But I would be open minded to discuss it if you could show proof where Sony tried downplay MJ Sales anywhere. To my knowledge they have always promoted /shown Top numbers_ and others have tried to downsize their claims.

This was probably already stated, but let me just say this:

This man is questioning the sales of Thriller, which was released in 1982. He says that there is no way that Thriller could have sold over 100 million copies because it wasn't as easy to track sales back then. And yet, Elvis and the Beatles are the top two best selling artists ever with over 1 billion records each. Now, if it's not easy to track sales of one single album, how can it be proven that Elvis and the Beatles sold that many records? That was in the '50s and '60s when it was even HARDER to record record sales. Ridiculous. Michael could damn well be the biggest-selling artist ever, although no one can really calculate that. Thriller was released in '82, thirty years ago. It's very logical to believe that Thriller sold 110 million copies over thirty years, especially considering how big the album is, even in today's society.

I couldn't prove Sony has downplayed Michael's sales but they didn't promote Invincible as they had should, Michael wanted BOTTD to be an EP but it seemed he was forced to made it an album.

This man is questioning the sales of Thriller, which was released in 1982. He says that there is no way that Thriller could have sold over 100 million copies because it wasn't as easy to track sales back then. And yet, Elvis and the Beatles are the top two best selling artists ever with over 1 billion records each. Now, if it's not easy to track sales of one single album, how can it be proven that Elvis and the Beatles sold that many records? That was in the '50s and '60s when it was even HARDER to record record sales. Ridiculous. Michael could damn well be the biggest-selling artist ever, although no one can really calculate that. Thriller was released in '82, thirty years ago. It's very logical to believe that Thriller sold 110 million copies over thirty years, especially considering how big the album is, even in today's society.

You are exactly correct. I have NEVER believed that the Beatles or Elvis sold a billion records. There is NO WAY to verify this. Yet, this WYman person only applies that to Michael. Elvis only had 150 GOLD albums, how does that even translate into a BILLION records. It is so obvious what Wyman is doing. These people have been trying to downplay Michael's sales for YEARS, even when he was alive. They are still trying to do the same thing. WYman and these "rock" journalist and critics still have the same AGENDA they have always had. They don't want Michael to overtake THEIR Holy Grails of music. Even Michael knew this and sang about it on the HIStory album. What Wyman is doing is crystal clear.

Also this handwriting...

I couldn't agree more!
mattolasabatogedmeMJBerlin2002.jpg

:agree:

I couldn't prove Sony has downplayed Michael's sales but they didn't promote Invincible as they had should, Michael wanted BOTTD to be an EP but it seemed he was forced to made it an album.
But we are discussing the sales here. That is the topic of this thread. Like you said it's not proof they downplayed Michael sales and its not related to the sales of Thriller. It's not that I disagree with what you are saying above about Michael's past issues with Sony. But there are other threads available for that" discussion. I just hate to see this thread get derailed as so many do with off topic rants about Sony.

Both Estate and SONY claim over 100 Million sold.
Sony was promoting the 104 Million sales for Thriller since 2006. They posted it on Sony/Michael. They also promoted that number in 2008 for Thriller 25 promo and It is their stats and data that will back up this claim. Now they may not have the certificates yet from RIAA for US sales but that doesn't make the claim invalid. Billboard doesn't even disputing that claim. It is disgruntled, jealous music media rockers like Wyman that write articles to try to dispute or downplay it. Or others, some who are fans don't believe that number based on the incomplete data they have.

But we are discussing the sales here. That is the topic of this thread, Like you said it's not proof they downplayed Michael sales and its not related to the sales of Thriller. It's not that I disagree with what you are saying above about Michael's past issues with Sony. but there are other threads available for that discussion. I just hate to see this thread get derailed as so many do with off topic rants about Sony.

A lot of rants were made here. The weak ones were left behind, as would happen to this sony sabotage one... hadn't you come in to argue it. You mods are getting paranoid and working against yourselves. The other one stopped another "discussion" that 3 days after the rant hadn't started yet

Last edited:
A lot of rants were made here. The weak ones were left behind, as would happen to this sony sabotage one... hadn't you comen in to argue it. You mods are getting paranoid and working against yourselves. The other one stopped another "discussion" that 3 days after the rant hadn't started yet
I don't see any rants deleted and I am not posting as a mod on that post. That is my personal opinion on this topic as a member. I posted my view respectfully not with arrogance or telling others what view to take on this topic. I was just suggesting we should stay on topic. I enjoy reading seeing others views (even yours) I think it's important to see all sides even though I may not always agree. I took no moderation action in that post for you to come against the mods for. All staff is allowed to post and have their own opinions here like everyone else. Including you. and as staff we do not all agree on various topics but our moderation is unbiased and is is done according to the rules and guidelines and not based on mine or any staffs personal views. We are not allowed to do that. Members know that and are given a reason in the thread or by PM when moderation is taken. When I post in an official capacity. I will have my mod hat on.

Mod hat on :chef:

If you or any member has a complaint about any moderation taken on your posts or in the threads please use the venues as provided in the rules. ( PM or email) Normally your post would be deleted for violating that rule. but to be transparent and to show you are not being singled out for your view. I will openly address it here. You can post your view on any topic (Even an unpopular view) as you have been allowed to do in this thread. Moderation was even taken on posts here that attacked and insulted you for your view. (They were deleted) If any post was deleted in this thread it was not because of ones view on this topic but for a violation of MJJC policy. As MJJC rules state. If you have any complaint about moderation PM the admin to discuss it or you can send an email to memberservice@mjjcommunity.com and your issue will be discussed with you and hopefully resolved. :) Any further post of this nature will be deleted as stated in our rules. So no need to reply here, better to take it to PM.

IMO, the Estate's staatement that " Thriller has sold OVER 100 million should be and IS the final confirmation. I really don't think that they would have bothered releasing this statement if they weren't sure of their figures. The bottomline is that this Wyman person is trying to destroy or downgrade Michael's legacy and SOME fans are falling for the crap. Can you even imagine Beatles or Elvis fans "questioning" their statistics? Can you imagine this Wyman person questioning
Elvis' so-called "billion" sales? Of course, even a novice would know that Elvis has NOT sold a billion records with only 150 GOLD albums. However, we know that Wyman and people like him will never question THEIR 'pet celebrities' and will only go after one man that they feel is a threat to THEM, Michael Jackson. It doewsn't matter how these so-called journalist try to spin and twist the facts, Thriller IS the biggest selling album in history and FANS need to remember that FACT and stop falling for the ploys to divide and conquer. These people did the same thing when Michael was alive and they will continue to TRY and destroy or diminish Michael's legacy if they are allowed to do so. Thank God for the fans who continue to uphold and protect Michael's legacy and Thank God that the Estate is doing their job to uphold and protect Michael's legacy. If it were not for the fans and the Estate, Michael's legacy would be destroyed because his family is doing NOTHING to protect it. This is the very reason that I will be so glad when PPB are old enough to protect their father's memory and legacy.

I do believe in The Estate statement, some of us actually mentioned The Guiness certificate given to Michael in October 2006 that says 104 million albums but it's weird its site has lower number in comparison to the award given to Michael...

Great ^^ no one brought up that point yet. Post it under his article.

PS: Qbee the mod hat looks like an upside down cup without handles.

i wonder if there would be this much debate on this topic if the artist were The Beatles. I wonder how much we would admit how conditioned we are by the media.

bill wyman has an agenda for questioning thriller's sales. The estate could have easily ignored this debate and not said anything. However, for them to release a statement saying that thriller has sold over 100 million copies means that they have access to facts that we don't know about. My problem iw with sony. They have intentionally downplayed thriller's numbers for years and this really, really upset michael because he knew that they were doing this.

^^ this.

i wonder if there would be this much debate on this topic if the artist were The Beatles. I wonder how much we would admit how conditioned we are by the media.
Well on that article probably not many of his followers would question Beatles sales. Most MJ fans know better that to be conditioned by what the media says especially when it comes to Michael. I think there are only 2 people in this thread who are debating against the 104 Million sales and they are not basing it by media but by available incomplete statistics from what I see. The rest here agree on 104 million, including myself. I think much of the debate in here is on what constitutes as actual proof of those sales besides the Estate and Sony's claim.

"Thriller" is back on the BB200 this week :wild:

Top 200 COMPREHENSIVE ALBUMS
Thriller #88 (RE): 221 Wks
The Essential #120 (-27): 89 Wks
Number Ones #143 (-4): 245 Wks

:clap:

It's still pretty impressive to see Thriller ranking so high in sales on Amazon:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #267 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)

And that's just the main album, not including all the various other editions and their sales.

It's still pretty impressive to see Thriller ranking so high in sales on Amazon:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #267 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)

And that's just the main album, not including all the various other editions and their sales.

and there you go. and it's not even Halloween, right now. 31 years and counting past the 104 million, in real time, as usual...literally.

Last edited:

Oh really, I thought Thriller was not selling anymore? SARCASM ALERT!!

Welcome to the new Generation of Michael music lovers people. Some of these buyers are in their teens or 20s.

It's nice to know Thriller contunes selling 30 years later, I'd buy the album to my pet if necessary to keep its record. :giggle:I just wish the new generation of fans to read and inform themselves because many teens are terribly uninformed.

this week

Thriller #52 (+36) and back at #1 (+8) on the Catalogue Albums Chart :punk:

this week

Thriller #52 (+36) and back at #1 (+8) on the Catalogue Albums Chart :punk:

Really awesome!

I don't like the new Billboard page though. And why do they use a childhood pic of Michael for Thriller? Why not the album cover?

Back