Steven Ivory: Thriller (wow!) ~Pls Email Him on Such A GREAT Article!~

Re: Steven Ivory: Thriller (wow!)

The only part where I would disagree is with his statement that post Thriller work wasn't up to par. It was indeed better. Dangerous, IMO, was MJ's best post-Thriller work.

Absolutely about 'Dangerous' it's far exceeds 'BAD' and it is beyond underrated had it not been for the tragic events of 93 i really do think it would be right up there with 'Thriller' in terms of being legendary. Just the depth of his voice i mean how many singers can do r&b, new jack, gospel flavored, rock and pop all on one album? not many and that's what make Dangerous one of my all time fav albums. Just the way he combined so many genre's on one set.

Absolutely about 'Dangerous' it's far exceeds 'BAD' and it is beyond underrated had it not been for the tragic events of 93 i really do think it would be right up there with 'Thriller' in terms of being legendary. Just the depth of his voice i mean how many singers can do r&b, new jack, gospel flavored, rock and pop all on one album? not many and that's what make Dangerous one of my all time fav albums. Just the way he combined so many genre's on one set.
I had to think for a moment -- what tragic events.....? and then I remembered. I mean, how many CDs open with 5 SLAMMING dance songs, a slamming rock ballad with global appeal world anthem cuts?

HIStory has stand out cuts, SIM, TES, YANA -- you can't count those out because peeps were hating on him about other things....

I had to think for a moment -- what tragic events.....? and then I remembered. I mean, how many CDs open with 5 SLAMMING dance songs, a slamming rock ballad with global appeal world anthem cuts?

HIStory has stand out cuts, SIM, TES, YANA -- you can't count those out because peeps were hating on him about other things....

No CD does that now and that's the thing that makes Michael so unique, i was listening to 'Dangerous' tonight and thinking you hear a song like KTF which is about as close to Gospel you gonna get and then he turns around and sings a beautiful song like GTS same singer but just the ability to emote in so many ways and make it work, and it just makes me so angry that this album doesn't get the props it's deserves, i agree about HIStory too, thing is though he is so raw there and either peeps get it or don't with Dangerous there was a song for everybody i often think it's an album before it's time and maybe someday people will see the brilliance of Dangerous after seeing so many of these run of the mill artists now who can't sing with any depth of variety and just throw out schlock of mess masquerading as music.

Last edited:
Steven Ivory was/Is a Childhood writing hero of mine. I go back to the Blackbeat magazine days. he been down with MJ and family for over 30 years. He knows his Music big time. thriller was a Album that changed everything period. now I dug bad and dangerous but thriller was that Album and still is IMO that changed the whole game.

The only part where I would disagree is with his statement that post Thriller work wasn't up to par. It was indeed better.

The album "Thriller" itself didn't create the phenom. It was the album combined with Michael both as a performing artist and as an enigmatic personality. Michael putting out short musical films like something not before seen, Michael putting on stage performances unparralleled in pure talent and charisma, Michael being a complex and at the same time reclusive character. The album on its own never would have done what it did. It was a combination of all those things which boosted it to those sales and made Michael the most famous human being on the planet.

I agree with both of you here and as much as I like Thriller I sometimes get annoyed with ppl saying that he'll never do as good as he did back then. His later albums didn't get the attention they deserved bc of the problems in his private life and I can only hope that it will be different with the new one.

Yeah the promotion for Thriller was at its best so as for other albums after and before, it didnt have that much notoriety solely because of lack of promotion. Simple.

mistermaxxx, I knew his name sounded familiar. I enjoyed the article, It was great to hear someone who was there talk about the Motown 25 performance.

Michael Jackson is indeed a genre onto himself.

Steven Ivory was/Is a Childhood writing hero of mine. I go back to the Blackbeat magazine days. he been down with MJ and family for over 30 years. He knows his Music big time. thriller was a Album that changed everything period. now I dug bad and dangerous but thriller was that Album and still is IMO that changed the whole game.

Blackbeat magazine. Now that's a blast from the past! And there is no question that Thriller changed the game. Ivory said that Thriller was MJ's artistic peak and I respectfully disagree with him on that one point and I emailed him and told him so (after lavish praise on the piece, of course!).

E-mailed the writer, i always thought that after Michael's performance they just moved onto the next one-which i thought was abit strange because how could you just move on that quickly after a performance like that when you have never seen Michael Jackson perform solo, never seen him perform that amazing song and have never seen him moonwalk. That article made me feel like i was in the room watching that performance-if only I had been.

Blackbeat magazine. Now that's a blast from the past! And there is no question that Thriller changed the game. Ivory said that Thriller was MJ's artistic peak and I respectfully disagree with him on that one point and I emailed him and told him so (after lavish praise on the piece, of course!).
oh i go back and Steven ivory did Lee Bailey's radio show back in the day. Thriller was that album. look I dig parts of bad and Dangerous even more,but thriller went and did the damn thing.argualy the Greatest Album ever.

E-mail response from Steven Ivory:

Thank you very much for reading and then taking the time to respond. I too, look forward to MJ's next chapter.

Best,
Steven Ivory

It really was a great article.

Last edited:
Back