The Beatles!

Was hoping there would be a thread on this.

It's a very haunting track , so fitting for their final song. Listening to the track and watching the official video it is rather emotional with the history and impact the band had on the world.

One thing I will say is that the love and appreciation of The Beatles is still very much alive.

It is imo only a matter of time before they overtake queen and MJ as greatest legacy artists.

They are too much loved by press ald critics and there is zero controversy surrounding them and their music

I'm not a fan of The Beatles and I don't dig their new single very much, but the demo of Now And Then has definitely caught my ears. It has a haunting vibe to it and I love how sombering the piano sounds.

It is imo only a matter of time before they overtake queen and MJ as greatest legacy artists.

They are too much loved by press ald critics and there is zero controversy surrounding them and their music
They've been on Spotify since 2015, almost exactly 8 years and it seems like every year they come out with a release and each time they get much and good press, always with the flagship Beatle McCartney at the forefront of the promotion. This gives them an advantage even over Queen, where two living band members lead the promotion also, but the main character Freddie, who is the driving force behind the band's popularity, is dead.
The Beatles' current release certainly tops everything they have released on the market in recent years in attention. If you get a new release on every serious news program (that`s the case at least in Germany), then that's big. So they really have a chance to land a number 1 hit worldwide, at least in the UK it seems within reach, as they have now obviously pushed Swift out of number 1 on the Spotify song -charts today. And of course the popularity of their site will get more high and will bring them a streaming-boost. They allready have great streamings.
Last year as Queen released a new song from Freddie as a single with there anniversary-album-release I thought it would be a great hit, but if I am not wrong it did not even chart in the UK-single-charts.

Yes, really excellent marketing for the Beatles that Michael really hasn't had in the last few years, in contrary the oposite of worst press you can imagine.. Therefore Michaels sucsess is even more noteworthy as the most streamed legacy-solo-artist.

They've been on Spotify since 2015, almost exactly 8 years and it seems like every year they come out with a release and each time they get much and good press, always with the flagship Beatle McCartney at the forefront of the promotion.
These two things are so important, imo. Just today in the Sunday Times there is a 3 page feature titled 'How we want The Beatles to be Remembered' by Paul and Ringo but, as usual, it's mostly quotes from Paul. He is a master publicist. There seems to be a pretty strong consensus that Paul was the one always pushing the rest of the band to do this and that new project and he's just continued doing it each decade since, looking after their legacy. And, yeah, he gets tons of help from the UK press. They just can't get enough.

This gives them an advantage even over Queen, where two living band members lead the promotion also, but the main character Freddie, who is the driving force behind the band's popularity, is dead.
Agreed. Queen are really popular but they don't have the cultural significance of The Beatles and Brian and Roger don't have Paul McCartney's PR genius. They are good but they are not anywhere near his level.

The Beatles' current release certainly tops everything they have released on the market in recent years in attention. If you get a new release on every serious news program (that`s the case at least in Germany), then that's big.
Lots of reasons but I think the biggest one is the fact of it being marketed as 'John's last song'. So much poignancy in that.

So they really have a chance to land a number 1 hit worldwide, at least in the UK it seems within reach, as they have now obviously pushed Swift out of number 1 on the Spotify song -charts today. And of course the popularity of their site will get more high and will bring them a streaming-boost. They allready have great streamings.
Last year as Queen released a new song from Freddie as a single with there anniversary-album-release I thought it would be a great hit, but if I am not wrong it did not even chart in the UK-single-charts.

Yes, really excellent marketing for the Beatles that Michael really hasn't had in the last few years, in contrary the oposite of worst press you can imagine.. Therefore Michaels sucsess is even more noteworthy as the most streamed legacy-solo-artist.
Excellent point.

"It's strange when you think about it," McCartney says. "There's John, in his apartment, banging away at a piano doing a demo. And now we've restored it and it's a crystal clear, beautiful vocal. You still wonder, is it inferior, something we shouldn't do? But every time I thought that, I thought, 'Let's say I had a chance to ask John.' And John would have loved it. Of course, I'm never going to know, but I think mine's the best guess we can have. And now it is a Beatles record. When we played it to people, some cried, some said, 'Jesus Christ, it's a Beatles record!' "

Sunday Times, 5 Nov 2023

So it’s going nr 1 in the UK. Probably hit of the year worldwide?
We’re back in the 60s. Stones with a nr 1 album and the Beatles in the singles chart. I would never have guessed this.
It is the equivalent of MJ scoring a nr 1 record somewhere in 2065 or so. Seems really unlikely but you never know

I just listened to the whole White album yesterday. It was pretty illuminating. I used to call them overrated, but lately, I understand that they certainly were not. They're still not my style but man did they work together well.

I've always felt George was the best by far though. All Things Must Pass is a MASTERPIECE.

I just listened to the whole White album yesterday. It was pretty illuminating. I used to call them overrated, but lately, I understand that they certainly were not. They're still not my style but man did they work together well.

I've always felt George was the best by far though. All Things Must Pass is a MASTERPIECE.
I'm listening to the entire Revolver album today for the first time. I like it way, way more. These boys were good actually.

The song is

nr 79 Canada
nr 52 Italy
nr 47 Finland
nr 41 Japan
Nr 15 Norway, Wallony (Belgium)
Nr 8 Sweden, Flanders (Belgium)
nr 6 Australia
Nr 5 Holland
nr 4 Ireland
Nr 2 Switzerland
nr 1 Germany, UK

I guess it failed to chart top 100 in USA and France, things could change of course
I expected more impressive stats to be fair

The song is

nr 79 Canada
nr 52 Italy
nr 47 Finland
nr 41 Japan
Nr 15 Norway, Wallony (Belgium)
Nr 8 Sweden, Flanders (Belgium)
nr 6 Australia
Nr 5 Holland
nr 4 Ireland
Nr 2 Switzerland
nr 1 Germany, UK

I guess it failed to chart top 100 in USA and France, things could change of course
I expected more impressive stats to be fair

It`s number 7 in the US. Not bad and a good promotion for their remaster-album-releases for introducing new fans.

Talk of the Charts

@talkofthecharts
Subscribe

This week's Billboard Hot 100 top 10:
#1. (+5) Cruel Summer
#2. (+2) Paint The Town Red
#3. (-2) Is It Over Now? (TV)
#4. (+4) Snooze#
5. (NEW) Standing Next To You
#6. (+5) I Remember Everything
#7. (NEW) Now And Then
#8. (+5) Fast Car
#9. (+8) Thinkin' Bout Me
#10. (+5) Last Night

Their albums are 15 and 20 in the US BB 200. I did expect a better performing.

In UK they are pretty good on 2 and 3., in Germany also Top 5.

So it will interesting how long the charting is in the long run. I assume the hardecore-Beatles-fans bought in this first week.

I'm listening to the entire Revolver album today for the first time. I like it way, way more. These boys were good actually.
I listened to Abbey Road for the first time. Man, this is a good album. I love the sound they came up. She's so Heavy is peak blues.

Really enjoying the new mixes on the new Red and Blue re issues. Pretty awesome to hear these songs brought up to modern recording standards.

Back