The female singer-songwriter-musician-producer(-engineer)

Info re 'Women In Audio' by Leslie MG Bird, published in 2020. Includes a link to the table of contents.

Pensado's Place interview with Ebonie Smith, audio engineer, producer, songwriter. July 2020

1 hour

"Ebonie received her first Grammy Certificate and RIAA-certified platinum plaque for work as an assistant engineer on Hamilton (Original Broadway Cast Recording). She received her second Grammy Certificate for work as an assistant engineer on Sturgill Simpson's award-winning album A Sailor'sGuide to Earth. She also engineered on the Grammy-nominated album Dirty Computer by Janelle Monáe and the Grammy-winning album Invasion to Privacy by Cardi B."

Bobbie Gentry / Ode to Billie Joe - 1967

4m 15s

Bobbie Gentry wrote and produced her own songs. Here's a quote from The Guardian newspaper:

"In 1974 a writer called Morag Veljkovic questioned Gentry’s feminist credentials: didn’t the tight dresses and teased-up hair contradict a bra-burning stance? “I am a woman working for herself in a man’s field. I am a successful woman record producer,” said Gentry calmly. “Did you know that I took Ode to Billie Joe to Capitol, sold it, and produced the album myself? It wasn’t easy. It’s difficult when a woman is attractive; beauty is supposed to negate intelligence – which is ridiculous. Certainly there are no women executives and producers to speak of in the record business.”

Last edited:
Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders (2019?)

chrissie-hynde-0609-1024x683.jpg

Alanis Morrisette and Olivia Rodrigo - Oct 2021

"Olivia Rodrigo and Alanis Morrissette were a natural pairing for Rolling Stone's Musicians on Musicians series. The two stars sat down for an epic conversation about music, life in public, performing, and much more."

15m 18s

"Olivia Rodrigo stopped by to chat with Bru about life, music, and what's next! Bru and Olivia also play a game of 'Spill Your Guts' to dig deeper into things!"

21m 13s

Paula Abdul
Madonna
Kate Bush
Sarah Brightman 💝
oh boy, i don't care for too many female artists. I am not too sure hmmm

Paula Abdul
Madonna
Kate Bush
Sarah Brightman 💝
oh boy, i don't care for too many female artists. I am not too sure hmmm
I def prefer male singers. Don't know why but I do seem to prefer the male voice. That said, I love this thread. Especially bc it isn't just about performers. It's the engineers and producers as well and I love that. I can name Tony Visconti and Quincy Jones and Steve Lillywhite but can I name 3 female producers without looking them up first? Don't think I can. :(

I def prefer male singers. Don't know why but I do seem to prefer the male voice. That said, I love this thread.
This is quite a refreshing thread
Especially bc it isn't just about performers. It's the engineers and producers as well and I love that. I can name Tony Visconti and Quincy Jones and Steve Lillywhite but can I name 3 female producers without looking them up first? Don't think I can. :(
That reminds me zin. i have to check out that lady again

edit- Susan Rogers
Bjork
Both have been mentioned

Now this lady here Peggy "Mac" Mccreary should be here in this thread
She is a sound Engineer and has worked with very notable artists , including Van Halen. Elton John & Prince,

Last edited:
Back