The JAZZ thread...

@Agonum
Gave little Susie a go. Simply amazing, Michael would have loved this tribute. It is real jazz, not some wannabe stuff, epic!
Enrico Rava is old school, been making jazz albums since the 70s.
Hm, I might have a go myself. Wasn't gonna bother bc I assumed it would be wannabe stuff. This sounds a bit more hopeful.

So far I got a country MJ tribute, a metal tribute
Metal? Which band?

a reggae tribute.
Who? I'm intrigued.

Hm, I might have a go myself. Wasn't gonna bother bc I assumed it would be wannabe stuff. This sounds a bit more hopeful.
Why would I post wannabe stuff 😝 these are genuine jazzifications (I made this up) of MJ songs. if you really hate trumpet dominated jazz you’re going to hate it, there is no watering down here from what I have heard.
Metal? Which band?
just various bands, I don’t know any of them. I think you are the one that pointed me out to this to be honest lol
Who? I'm intrigued.
I don’t know him, a guy called Kashief Lindo. I found it on Spotify , didn’t listen to any of it yet.

George Benson also did 2 beautiful covers on his guitar. Got to be there and The Lady in my life. You know the jazz guy who later scored a massive hit with “give me the night”.
I’m gonna post more links soon probably, though it seems there is no real appetite for it. 🤔

Robbie Fulks - I’m going back to Indiana, it’s your thing or it isn’t but I love it, especially the short yodel at the end.

George Benson also did 2 beautiful covers on his guitar. Got to be there and The Lady in my life. You know the jazz guy who later scored a massive hit with “give me the night”.

Benson is a legend!

6c6.gif

So I listened to the entire Rava tribute album and it is fantastic. What a tribute! He not only keeps the songs fully recognizable he turns them into genuine exciting jazz pieces. I have to applaud him for coming up with a very unconventional set list. This 70 something guy clearly is a fan if he plays stuff like Speechless, HIStory and Privacy.

Up next I’m going to listen to the folk/country tribute by Robbie Fulks. You can also find this on spotify under the name “happy” with the following tracklist

1 Goin Back to Indiana (video posted above)
2 black or white
3 billie jean
4 mama’s pearl
5 the way you make me feel
6 man in the mirror
7 ben
8 don’t stop till you get enough
9 the girl is line
10 don’t let it get you down
11 privacy
12 farewell my summer love
13 happy
14 going back to goin back to Indiana ( I have no idea what this is, probably some reprise or so)

Again AWESOME tracklist. I’m very curious , big thumbs up to Robbie Fulks either way!

PS again a cover of “privacy” is there something in the song we don’t hear? I mean I really don’t like it.

Dang he turns DSTYGE into a full blown bluegrass track! Loving these original tributes!

I just realized this is a jazz only thread. But like true jazz i’m improvising and putting it here anyway 😛

EDIT he turns Privacy into a weird avant garde piece, pretty grating but completely original lol. It’s like Yoko Ono meets Captain Beefheart. I promise the rest of the record is really good though!

Last edited:
There’s another legendary bassist!
I really wanted to put this in the Bass thread but I'd already put a few in there so ...

Ngl, don't really know this guy. Only came across him ... can't remember but not too long ago. Tried a couple of numbers but they were too long for me - you know, like about 10 MINUTES!!

fgs! :ROFLMAO:

That's why I went for this one. It was the shortest one I could find, lol. I'm not a jazz aficionado. I like bits and bobs, old-school stuff, mostly. But I do love this and his bass playing is sublime.

He’s a legend. Has done major with Luther Vandross and Herbie Hancock among others.
See, that's why I wouldn't know him. Don't like Vandross and am too lazy to really pay attention to Hancock even though I know he's a legend.

I really just like screechy rock music, lol.

Interview with David Zard followed by a longer one with jazz musician Enrico Rava. David Zard goes first and he does touch on what he considers to be some of Michael's flaws but gets very emotional at the end and calls Michael a special person.

The video is 10m long. From approx 4m 12s Enrico Rava talks about Michael and why he covers Michael's music. Enrico was familiar with Michael's music from J5 days but got into him properly when his wife bought the video of the Bucharest show. There's a bit of Enrico's band doing their cover of SC.

@filmandmusic - FYI

@zinniabooklover
Great find. I love the Italian language it is so expressive

Great interviews. Interesting about shy people being easy to manipulate. I have to say as a shy person myself this is 100% true.
you have to call a spade a spade, most people who met him have only kind words to say about him. The few who haven’t surely never wanted to like him in the first place.

Rava is of course the best as he say MJ is a genius without hesitation but apparently we have his wife to thank!

Ah David Zard already died in 2018 what a shame, he seemed to have been an emphatic man

Last edited:
@zinniabooklover
Great find. I love the Italian language it is so expressive
It is really beautiful to listen to. So mellifluous (sp?).

Great interviews. Interesting about shy people being easy to manipulate. I have to say as a shy person myself this is 100% true.
Yeah, I had no problem with David Zard saying that stuff. You can agree or disagree with him - I happen to think he has a valid point - but he's making a fair assessment of Michael, imo.

you have to call a spade a spade, most people who met him have only kind words to say about him. The few who haven’t surely never wanted to like him in the first place.
That's an excellent point.

Rava is of course the best as he say MJ is a genius without hesitation but apparently we have his wife to thank!
That bit made me laugh so much! He was aware of J5 and seemed to rate them but it was never gonna go anywhere until his wife bought the Dangerous video. I love that! So random, lol.

Jeff Beck's cover version of Charlie Mingus' song, Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - 5m 30s

Wilbur Bascomb on bass, Richard Bailey on drums.

Jabbo Smith's Rhythm Aces / Tanguay Blues - released 8th August 1929

2m 56s

Last edited:
Original Dixieland Jass Band / Livery Stables Blues - 1917

"Original Dixieland Jass Band (ODJB) was founded in New Orleans in 1916. Their first jazz recording isdated 1917. In late 1917 it changed the name's spelling to "Jazz."L'ODJB first members were: Larry Shields (clarinet), Eddie Edwards (trombone), Henry Ragas (piano), Tony Sbarbaro (drums) e Nick LaRocca (cornet)."

3m 10s

Herbie Hancock interview

"Herbie Hancock is an icon of music and the recipient of 14 Grammy Awards. He was described in an NPR Jazz Profile as “arguably the most influential practitioner of modern jazz piano since Thelonious Monk.” His jazz hits include Watermelon Man and Chameleon. His 1983 hit Rockit won a Grammy for Best R & B Instrumental and remains a hip hop classic. Herbie currently serves as the creative chair for Jazz at the LA Phil.Herbie discusses his life and career in music and reveals his spiritual side as well. He also takes us inside his professional relationship with the LA Phil’s Music and Artistic Director Gustavo Dudamel, and tells us about the LA Phil’s Power to the People Festival March 5-April 11 in Los Angeles."

22m 29s

Back