The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

Das geht runter wie Öl 😄 (very flattering)
Runter! I love it! Haven't even done the Google translate, don't care, I love it! :ROFLMAO:

Tbh, I only started English when I was around 10 years old, and I am not really fluent in Plattdeutsch. I can speak some French , it used to be wayyyy better.
Plattdeutsch! ❤️

That sounds so much worse than it is (well, it isn´t a bad thing at all lol) :ROFLMAO:
It makes an awsome movie title, though:
COMING TO YOUR THEATERS SOON!
THE MONOLINGUAL HEATHEN
One woman and her mesmerising story of challenge, transformation and - finally- triumph!
Hm, love the idea, just not sure about the casting. Don't know who to suggest and I'm not sure I want the biopic casting team to deal with it. :ROFLMAO:

Cool, cool idea though. I think I might be somewhat stalled in the 'challenge' part of the story, right now, but I will keep plodding on. Onwards and upwards! :D

Rank languages!

Mine​

1. Latin
2. Greek

Then it get very very hard!

3. German/Russian/English get to share this!

And then it gets somewhat easier.

4. French
5. Chinese
6. Icelandic
7. Finnish
8. Swedish

Not sure after that. But my least favourites is probably Italian followed by—dead last—Spanish.

(This is not a rascist post in any way, by the way.)

I will rank them by how much I like the sound and flow:

Italian
Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese
English and some dialects (I love how Adele speaks, for example 😄 :love:)
French
Russian
Spanish

- ranking may change according to mood 😄

Question: Is it just me or do Brazilian Portuguese and Russian sound a bit similar? I hear a simlarity, although they are very distinct from each other, of course.

Runter! I love it! Haven't even done the Google translate, don't care, I love it! :ROFLMAO:
runter = DOWN 😄
Plattdeutsch! ❤️

Hm, love the idea, just not sure about the casting. Don't know who to suggest and I'm not sure I want the biopic casting team to deal with it. :ROFLMAO:
haha
Cool, cool idea though. I think I might be somewhat stalled in the 'challenge' part of the story, right now, but I will keep plodding on. Onwards and upwards! :D
kitten yawning GIF

YAY!

I will rank them by how much I like the sound and flow:
That's how I did it.

Italian
Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese
I dithered so much over Portuguese and, truth be told, I haven't heard it in my life absolutely loads so stuck to the ones I've heard from childhood.

English and some dialects (I love how Adele speaks, for example 😄 :love:)
French
Russian
Spanish

- ranking may change according to mood 😄
I'm already minded to swap around Russian and Swahili, lol.

Question: Is it just me or do Brazilian Portuguese and Russian sound a bit similar? I hear a simlarity, although they are very distinct from each other, of course.
I've heard lots of people say this about Portuguese and Russian. Not sure I've heard the distinction being made about Brazilian Portuguese but, generally, yeah, loads of people say this. It's intriguing, what with Portuguese being one of the 'Romance' languages.

That's how I did it.

I dithered so much over Portuguese and, truth be told, I haven't heard it in my life absolutely loads so stuck to the ones I've heard from childhood.

I'm already minded to swap around Russian and Swahili, lol.
:D
I've heard lots of people say this about Portuguese and Russian. Not sure I've heard the distinction being made about Brazilian Portuguese but, generally, yeah, loads of people say this. It's intriguing, what with Portuguese being one of the 'Romance' languages.

Wow!

I asked a Brazilian friend if she thinks there are similarities, and she was dumbfounded lol (LOVE the word dumbfounded, by the way). She said it never occured to her lol.

I asked a Brazilian friend if she thinks there are similarities, and she was dumbfounded lol (LOVE the word dumbfounded, by the way). She said it never occured to her lol.
Interesting. I don't have anything useful to add bc these convos are not ones I've been able to take an active part in. I've heard numerous convos about whether Portuguese is harder to learn than Russian - or vice versa - and sooner or later the question of similarity between the two comes up. That's pretty much all I know.

Cologne dialect 😄

OK, this guy's hair is lamentable and probably means he should be banished to ... I don't even know where. I can't think of anywhere dreadful enough, lol.

That said, his voice, accent, sound and the general energy of his delivery is so amazing ... ALL IS FORGIVEN. :D

If that's the Cologne dialect / accent, maybe I need to move there. I need to find out how widespread English is, first. Bc I'm not going to suddenly develop a mid-life talent for languages. Not happening, lol.

Interesting. I don't have anything useful to add bc these convos are not ones I've been able to take an active part in. I've heard numerous convos about whether Portuguese is harder to learn than Russian - or vice versa - and sooner or later the question of similarity between the two comes up. That's pretty much all I know.

OK, this guy's hair is lamentable and probably means he should be banished to ... I don't even know where. I can't think of anywhere dreadful enough, lol.

Ahahahah! lmaooo. That 80s mullet! It is kinda cute though :ROFLMAO:
That said, his voice, accent, sound and the general energy of his delivery is so amazing ... ALL IS FORGIVEN. :D

If that's the Cologne dialect / accent, maybe I need to move there. I need to find out how widespread English is, first. Bc I'm not going to suddenly develop a mid-life talent for languages. Not happening, lol.
:love:

A skit with Berliner dialiéct. The comedians mock how rude it sounds and how "rude" Berlin citizins often appear to foreigners :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
But it´s true: Berlin dialect is not for the faint of heart lolol

Berlin dialect is also called BERLINER SCHNAUZE (hard to translate: Berlin potty mouth comes close lol)

A skit with Berliner dialiéct. The comedians mock how rude it sounds and how "rude" Berlin vitizins often appear to foreigners :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
But it´s true: Berlin dialect is not for the faint of heart lolol

Berlin dialect is also called BERLINER SCHNAUZE (hard to translate: Berlin potty mouth comes close lol)

But it sounds amazing. Even better than my guy from Cologne!

OK, forget Cologne, I'm moving to Berlin!

@bluemoon7: are there many dialects that are difficult to understand for non dialect speakers?

Someone I know has worked for several years in the 1990s in Germany and Switzerland. According to him (a non native speaker btw), during his stay in Switzerland he often used to ask the person he was talking with to speak in "hochdeutsch".

@bluemoon7: are there many dialects that are difficult to understand for non dialect speakers?

Someone I know has worked for several years in the 1990s in Germany and Switzerland. According to him (a non native speaker btw), during his stay in Switzerland he often used to ask the person he was talking with to speak in "hochdeutsch".

Yes, indeed! 😄

Some dialects are better understandable, and you can get used to them pretty well as a German. And then some of them like Bavarian, Swabian, and Schweitzerdeutsch are quite tricky.

Yes, indeed! 😄

Some dialects are better understandable, and you can get used to them pretty well as a German. And then some of them like Bavarian, Swabian, and Schweitzerdeutsch are quite tricky.
omg, Bavarian! When I was a kid we knew someone from Bavaria so I think, apart from random stuff on tv, that was the first spoken German I ever heard. Not saying I would be able to recognise it nowadays. But I hold the idea of it in my mind very fondly. :)

@zinniabooklover, same question for you: any spoken dialect within the UK that is a challenge for you to understand?
No. Oh, hang on! Maybe - just maybe - a Glaswegian if he (trust me, it's nearly always 'he') has had one too many. Other than that, no.

With me it's more that some accents are hard to even hear. I'm not good at picking up a Kent accent. To my ears they don't seem to have one but I know they do. Same with Derbyshire. I can't seem to hear it. I'm not talking about local vocab. I mean, the actual sound of the voice.

But if, by dialect, you mean actual vocab. I can't think of anything, tbh, that confuses me. You'll see certain phrases mentioned as being specific to one region but I know from experience that those words and phrases were also common somewhere else entirely. There are phrases which are meant to be indigenous to the Black Country (West Midlands) which I know are common up North, also.

As usual, with the UK, so much of it is class based. A middle class person would be more confused by certain accents or dialects. For us plebs it's usually not so difficult. At least, that's been my experience and observation.

Interesting question.

Back