The Thriller Era

FtCgEzvaUAA8hCI

this thread and mjj pictures are so useful to me when making covers for my mixes lmao. have a colourised photo here

Attachments

• mj.jpg
    mj.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 157-3.jpg
    157-3.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 5
@filmandmusic

I was intrigued by your question. This is all I could find:

"Michael Jackson pictured wearing the 1979/1980 season OGC Nice home shirt. Against the wishes of photographer Todd Gray, Michael chose to wear the soccer jersey during a photoshoot intended for Rock Superstars Post Magazine at the Jackson family estate in Los Angeles, California, 1983."

Slightly longer account of the football shirt photoshoot. I didn't know that Michael had played a gig at Camp Nou. 😲

Excerpt:
"While not one of the most famous pictures of Jackson’s storied life, it’s well known among his loyal fan base. It comes from a photoshoot with-then personal photographer Todd Gray in 1983. According to Gray, he and Jackson did four or five wardrobe changes during the course of the day and, much to the photographer’s chagrin, his subject refused to remove the shirt once he’d put it on.

Had Jackson seen the nimble Yugoslavian striker Nenad Bjeković rattle in 15 goals in 1979/80 season as Nice fought against relegation and immediately fallen in love with the team? As romantically tantalising as that prospect might be, it’s highly unlikely. Yet no one really knows how Jackson got his hands on the shirt, with Gray insisting that it didn’t come from him. Some speculate that he bought the jersey himself on a trip to the Cote d’Azur while promoting Thriller.

Taken in the garden of Hayvenhurst, the Jackson family compound in California, the pictures convey a carefree Jackson; pre-onset of Vitiligo, pre-Pepsi burn incident, post-Motown 25 and just prior to his rise to stratospheric levels of fame. This was Jackson before he became a one-man moneymaking machine, before the weight of his own success became a millstone, before that pressure of having to be Michael Jackson, for better or worse, consumed him. Gray’s photos show a man at ease."

Last edited:
i should also point out he is at his happiest in this era as well next to the off the wall era in my opinion not to meant bad events with his hair catching on fire as many feel it when all down the drain then though i kind of disagree. michael will be going solo during the bad era. (y)
i agree. thats why this is one of my favorites; because he is the happiest and i love it when hes happy :)

Back