What did Michael smell like/what perfume or cologne did he wear?

I love this thread actually haha Jungle gardenia -did not know .... opium . mmm i knew of opium too.
It's a good list to build from.

@wendijane

I'm still obsessing over this perfume malarkey! Got this list off reddit. I can see that Creed is mentioned - two different versions. No way to know if this list is legit or how this person is supposed to know all this stuff but thought it might be worth capturing it, anyway. I can always delete if you think it's all bogus.

"I am seeing a lot of stuff online as to what MJ wore as fragrances, the fact is he wore many different fragrances. I am going to shed some light on EVERY fragrance that this man wore to end all the speculation.

Late 1980s- Lagerfeld - Classic
(unknown time) Calvin Klein Obsession
(unknown time) Joop Wolfgang (most likely Fall 2008)
(unknown time ) Creed- orange Spice
(Unknown Time ) Creed- Royal Water
(1995/2007 )Yves Saint Laurent - Opium for Men
(somewhere in the 90's he wore this also wore it in 2007, this was the
mystery YSL scent his bodyguard was referring to )

(Unknown time )
Jungle gardenia
2001- Dior- Dune
Wore this during invincible era
2002- Calvin Klein - Eternity
(There is a video on youtube of him spraying it)

2004/2005- Dolce & Gabanna for Women- (Red Cap)
(Wore this during the trial, Jermaine Jackson even said he was wearing
The Dolce & Gabanna Red cap fragance)

2009- Tom Ford - Black Orchid, Tom Ford - White Patchouli,
Jean Desprez -Bal A Versailles, Clive Christian- No 1

( I posted pictures of both of them from inside his bathroom in a previous thread )"
I had the BAV years back, didnt like it that much on me. Few weeks ago I bought my second bottle tom ford, I LOVE it. I also have the obsession. And I read somewhere he had the baby powder perfume.
Which video was the eternity? The one in the car when they spray almost the whole bottle on him?

I had the BAV years back, didnt like it that much on me.
If you dig around in all of that stuff I bumped you'll find a comment about this. I'm sure it was the BAV, not the Black Orchid. They were saying that people often don't like the BAV but it's sometimes bc they didn't manage to get the real version. I think they were talking about buying stuff online and not all of the websites selling it can be trusted.

Otoh, the Black Orchid didn't work for me bc it just didn't get along with my skin. It was never gonna smell good on me. So it could be that, couldn't it? Maybe that fragrance just isn't for you. The Black Orchid didn't suit me but it smelt great just as a scent in the house. At some point in the future I just might be tempted to get the smallest bottle and spray it onto, I dunno, I could even use blotting paper instead of the test strip. And then just leave it. That's what I did before and it was sensational.

Few weeks ago I bought my second bottle tom ford, I LOVE it.
ooh, you're really making me think about this ...

I also have the obsession. And I read somewhere he had the baby powder perfume.
Which video was the eternity?
I haven't been able to find it. I wish they had given more details.

The one in the car when they spray almost the whole bottle on him?
Don't think I've seen that. But I don't watch Michael's adverts so, if it's a commercial, I definitely wouldn't be familiar with it.

I love this thread actually haha Jungle gardenia -did not know
And Elizabeth Taylor and Barbara Stanwyck both wore it. And Michael wore it onstage - did he wear it off stage also? I'd love to know.

When I was looking at this before all I could find was suggestions that JG had been discontinued. Just looked it up now and found this:

"Jungle Gardenia by Tuvaché is a Amber Floral fragrance for women. Jungle Gardenia was launched in 1933. Top notes are Bitter Orange, Clary Sage, Heliotrope and Cyclamen; middle notes are Gardenia, Tuberose, Jasmine, Tarragon, Ylang-Ylang, Violet Leaf and Lily-of-the-Valley; base notes are Sandalwood, Benzoin, Oakmoss and Musk.

Jungle Gardenia perfume was originally launched in 1933 year by the New York based perfume company Tuvaché. The fragrance was reformulated few times; like in 1950 by Jovan and in 1995 by Coty. The fragrance contains notes of greens, bitter orange, clary sage, cyclamen, gardenia, tuberose, heliotrope, tarragona, violet leaf, lily of the valley, jasmine, ylang-ylang, oak moss, benzoin, sandalwood and musk."

It sounds gorgeous. Jasmine and ylang-ylang together are beautiful. That I can confirm.

.... opium . mmm i knew of opium too.
It's a good list to build from.
Yeah. We could use a few more details, though. :)

If you dig around in all of that stuff I bumped you'll find a comment about this. I'm sure it was the BAV, not the Black Orchid. They were saying that people often don't like the BAV but it's sometimes bc they didn't manage to get the real version. I think they were talking about buying stuff online and not all of the websites selling it can be trusted.

Otoh, the Black Orchid didn't work for me bc it just didn't get along with my skin. It was never gonna smell good on me. So it could be that, couldn't it? Maybe that fragrance just isn't for you. The Black Orchid didn't suit me but it smelt great just as a scent in the house. At some point in the future I just might be tempted to get the smallest bottle and spray it onto, I dunno, I could even use blotting paper instead of the test strip. And then just leave it. That's what I did before and it was sensational.

ooh, you're really making me think about this ...

I haven't been able to find it. I wish they had given more details.

Don't think I've seen that. But I don't watch Michael's adverts so, if it's a commercial, I definitely wouldn't be familiar with it.
The orchid is a strong one. I think...you love it or you cant get used to it...I guess...or smt... I am addicted to it...

Yes, maybe I didnt get the real version of BAV, back then...I thought it was too...eh...hmm...I dont know...old people smell?? haha. Cant explain.

But..he had really expensive taste...haha.

The baby powder was the library of fragrance. (but they say it only stay for about a hour)

I mean when he went to gary indiana, that car trip, they sprayed a lot of perfume on him...I thought maybe you mentioned that. I hadnt figure out yet what kind they sprayed on him there.

The orchid is a strong one. I think...you love it or you cant get used to it...I guess...or smt... I am addicted to it...
Yeah, fragrance is like that, isn't it. Ngl, perfume isn't really my thing although I did used to love making my own scents just using essential oils. I didn't do it properly, just did my own simple blends. It's good fun, though.

Yes, maybe I didnt get the real version of BAV, back then...I thought it was too...eh...hmm...I dont know...old people smell?? haha. Cant explain.
No, I know what you mean.

But..he had really expensive taste...haha.
Yeah, I don't really like perfume but maybe that's bc I never had access to proper expensive ones. Cheap perfume doesn't do it for me. I'd rather try to do my own with the essential oils. But when I had the test strip with the Black Orchid on it - and that probably isn't the most expensive one Michael used - I could tell I was in another world. You could really smell the higher cost of the ingredients.

The baby powder was the library of fragrance. (but they say it only stay for about a hour)
Yeah, a powder based fragrance isn't going to hang around for long.

I mean when he went to gary indiana, that car trip, they sprayed a lot of perfume on him...I thought maybe you mentioned that. I hadnt figure out yet what kind they sprayed on him there.
I think this might have been mentioned in one of the bits I bumped from an old thread. I haven't seen it myself.

And Elizabeth Taylor and Barbara Stanwyck both wore it. And Michael wore it onstage - did he wear it off stage also? I'd love to know.

When I was looking at this before all I could find was suggestions that JG had been discontinued. Just looked it up now and found this:

"Jungle Gardenia by Tuvaché is a Amber Floral fragrance for women. Jungle Gardenia was launched in 1933. Top notes are Bitter Orange, Clary Sage, Heliotrope and Cyclamen; middle notes are Gardenia, Tuberose, Jasmine, Tarragon, Ylang-Ylang, Violet Leaf and Lily-of-the-Valley; base notes are Sandalwood, Benzoin, Oakmoss and Musk.

Jungle Gardenia perfume was originally launched in 1933 year by the New York based perfume company Tuvaché. The fragrance was reformulated few times; like in 1950 by Jovan and in 1995 by Coty. The fragrance contains notes of greens, bitter orange, clary sage, cyclamen, gardenia, tuberose, heliotrope, tarragona, violet leaf, lily of the valley, jasmine, ylang-ylang, oak moss, benzoin, sandalwood and musk."

It sounds gorgeous. Jasmine and ylang-ylang together are beautiful. That I can confirm.
That zin is once again very good work my darling, I know for fact i would've loved that too, no doubt.. Especially because guess what ... Top notes are orange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 , Yeah, noted it's bitter orange but i'll take that lol It's got a couple other middle notes i love in perfume anyway... heliotrope...(cherry)) & Tuberose...(honey) Both which are very sweet. I love britneey spears Midnight Fantasty & before that , Mariah M now those are really sweet- its like sweets too...lol and before that the Gwen Stefani range of Harajuku Lovers (some which were not so sweet ,and one which was putrid, bloody awful ! )well I just checked a review of the discontinued perfume though , and they also said he wore that one on stage. Why oh why would they discontinue a powerhouse of a smell. Thy heart doth bleed 😩 :ROFLMAO: @zinniabooklover

Yeah. We could use a few more details, though. :)
zin needs details !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :ROFLMAO:

Mm, I saw a comment saying this perfume didn't smell great. Which made me wonder why Michael never got into doing a proper fragrance. He could have got advice from Elizabeth Taylor. It seems like an obvious fit. He clearly loved fragrances and he had good taste. Makes more sense to me than LA Gear trainers, tbh, which is not the type of footwear he even wore. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Mm, I saw a comment saying this perfume didn't smell great. Which made me wonder why Michael never got into doing a proper fragrance. He could have got advice from Elizabeth Taylor. It seems like an obvious fit. He clearly loved fragrances and he had good taste. Makes more sense to me than LA Gear trainers, tbh, which is not the type of footwear he even wore. Seems like a missed opportunity.
Yeah but back then it kind oif had a stigma didnt it ? ..Granted , her white diamonds was a lovely ..beautiful fragrance but maybe he tried his hand at it - or just had to be included ? maybe had little choice ...maybe that was in the contract for the LA sneakers cos the appeal to the kids ...Nike and addais and PUMA market . oooh streetwear was SO hot back then and they were all doing it . I think the trainers were cool touch, i was well impressed when i knew about that. :love:

Yeah but back then it kind oif had a stigma didnt it ? .
Did it? Don't remember that. If he went really high end I would have thought it would be OK.

.Granted , her white diamonds was a lovely ..beautiful fragrance but maybe he tried his hand at it - or just had to be included ? maybe had little choice ...maybe that was in the contract for the LA sneakers cos the appeal to the kids ...Nike and addais and PUMA market . oooh streetwear was SO hot back then and they were all doing it . I think the trainers were cool touch, i was well impressed when i knew about that. :love:
Yeah, I just was never convinced, tbh. For me, he didn't suit the trainers and it just looked and felt all wrong. I get why he did it. I get why LA Gear wanted him on board. Just saying, for me it never worked. Plus, I was never into trainers, anyway. Looked like everyone was wearing a reject teddy bear on their feet. I was a punk so it was DM's all the way, for me! :D

It's true Liz Taylor's success with White Diamonds wasn't common. I do remember the surprise that it had actually worked. I don't know if Michael could have afforded the time commitment back in the 80's to do it. I just was doing a bit of wishful thinking, lol.

Yeah, I just was never convinced, tbh. For me, he didn't suit the trainers and it just looked and felt all wrong. I get why he did it. I get why LA Gear wanted him on board. Just saying, for me it never worked. Plus, I was never into trainers, anyway. Looked like everyone was wearing a reject teddy bear on their feet. I was a punk so it was DM's all the way, for me! :D

It's true Liz Taylor's success with White Diamonds wasn't common. I do remember the surprise that it had actually worked. I don't know if Michael could have afforded the time commitment back in the 80's to do it. I just was doing a bit of wishful thinking, lol.
REJECT TEDDY BEAR LMAOOOOOOOO

also no but fr michael's venture into fragrances is so under the radar, it feels like only fans really know about them. like the Dangerous era one and the holographic Bad era ones i mean. elizabeth taylor's fragrances are much more well known imo. for me who is practically addicted to Michael and fragrances as a whole i'm so in love with the idea with holding a bottle of his fragrances in my hand and practically drowning myself in the aroma. but knowing now that some aren't pleased with the smell i probably would be very disappointed to finally get my hands on one of the remaining existing bottles of his perfumes only for it to smell bad 😭 😞
Mm, I saw a comment saying this perfume didn't smell great. Which made me wonder why Michael never got into doing a proper fragrance.

Did it? Don't remember that. If he went really high end I would have thought it would be OK.

It's true Liz Taylor's success with White Diamonds wasn't common. I do remember the surprise that it had eventually worked. I don't know if Michael could have afforded the time commitment back in the 80's to do it. I just was doing a bit of wishful thinking, lol.

You have got me thinking of the billboards now zin for that.. lol I can see it all i just ironically, I haven't the foggiest on how it would smell :ROFLMAO:

see ..my friends , now will you look whats happened? i'll be sticking with orange creed .. its nice n fruity @LinLoveMJ :ROFLMAO:

See when i bought the ones Ms Faye was kind enough to suggest i didn't ever think it was like the scent people were trying to describe... it was so heavy and ..heavy......and ...well....

Yeah he did (we believe) change scent a lot and because i love the idea of what my top contender was, it's history. A real established gentleman's scent. Launched in 1950s
It was powdery and indeed mysterious....smelled like Cinnamon ...smelt sweetish - i am still going to say he liked Orange (spice) Creed
Created by James Henry Creed
so there :LOL::love:lol

On other days , i still think of the brand Philosophy . The Graces range. Amazing Grace from the Philosophy range my top contender ....Pure Grace, Living Grace...Inner Grace not so much ...
Another member here (🥰) was convinced that it was that Philosophy brand (now most of these are discontinued ) Baby Grace and (bloody) Love Swept, ... and the - .. Falling in Love..... Grace ... :rolleyes: (we used to fight over that :ROFLMAO: ) is what people could sometimes smell in 2000s.

ill stick to my guns( never having smelt the man of course !) and still say Creed. 🤪- but maybe Philosophy really was another contender that caught his eye. ( before it all went pete tong in 2016 of course)

It was said to be a top brand for sensitive skin in 2007 though , had been around since ooh, 1996 ? Science was the core to that brand so we know alot of care and knowledge for highly sensitive skin went into those bottles. It was never harsh stuff back then... I get though , m would spray it on his clothes , he would do it alot. I think he loved smelling good. Did't he like Dior- Poison at some point- too ? Mid 90's ? God Calvin Cline everyone loved that.😒 So many brands haha .Yeah creed. lol

The "Smells sweet" thought...🫢god,i love that... Some said he smelt " clean" . Some "sweet" . ....Maybe he never wore just one ?
Such an interesting thread. Good times... Great times.
i wish loz @Lorraine would come back for her take on this because she met him many times loz @Lorraine creed creed creed i beseech you darling :ROFLMAO: :D
I didn’t ever get close enough to sniff him! LOL Saw him many times but wouldn’t class it as met haha

I didn’t ever get close enough to sniff him! LOL Saw him many times but wouldn’t class it as met haha
I am so bloody shocked right now! Welcome back ?..., :ROFLMAO: right , ok but you were there , in those moments , you always made time to be part of his world whenever he came to visit us here :D 🤗,you've got lots of memories , whats your take on his perfume situation and did you try any of the perfumes karen suggested ?

Last edited:
I am so bloody shocked right now! Welcome back ?..., :ROFLMAO: right , ok but you were there , in those moments , you always made time to be part of his world whenever he came to visit us here :D 🤗,you've got lots of memories , whats your take on his perfume situation and did you try any of the perfumes karen suggested ?

I log in every now and then... Months and months go by. So weird how i came on today and saw the @ lol
I'm doing Ok thanks :) How are you?

Ermm... His smell, i'm gonna go for sweet 😍 unless it was after a dance session than i'm sure he was probably a bit wiffy :ROFLMAO:

I log in every now and then... Months and months go by. So weird how i came on today and saw the @ lol
I'm doing Ok thanks :) How are you?

Ermm... His smell, i'm gonna go for sweet 😍 unless it was after a dance session than i'm sure he was probably a bit wiffy :ROFLMAO:
Sweet yeah ...see we have alot to work with lol we can all establish he was sweet . You havent changed haha ... well thats fate i think . yeah, im ok thank you , i rarely only on his b day ...and then , just poped in before start of last summer .and ....that awfully hot summer we had , i kind of stayed. there are alot of new people and its quite a nice little crowd now. we have online partys too if you are interested? its lovely to see you Lorraine 😩 .

OMG! Someone from 2004! I hope you find time to frequent here! We need more people from the time when he was around to tell real stories of what it was like! A lot of us can only dream.

On topic - still processing this thread 😃. Sweets, powder, orchid!! I have no clue 😢

Back