What Do Other Celebs' Fans Think About MICHAEL?

Even though I'm a fan of Prince, I must admit that he won't be having an everlasting legacy. He was never as commercially successful as MJ and made a lot of crappy music unlike Michael. 50-100 years from now, most people still would have heard of Michael Jackson, The Beatles. I can't say the same about Prince. I think he will be forgotten pretty quickly unfortunately.

Speaking of streaming, does it count towards album and single sales?

The Beatles also have the Cirque show Love in Vegas.

In America, it counts for some but generally not too much. Go google Billboards streaming rules, you should find something.

The Beatles also have the Cirque show Love in Vegas.

Yeah honestly The Beatles are doing pretty well at the moment legacy-wise. They had a Top Ten live album earlier this year, and outside of "official work", the song "Black Beatles" has been topping charts all over the world (which went on to get further attention thanks to the mannequin challenge, even Paul McCartney joined in and that got quite a bit of attention on FB/Twitter).

Additionally, I've heard a decent amount about a popular childrens Netflix show called Beat Bugs, which is based around The Beatles songs and the main characters often sing covers of their songs. Many popular guest singers (such as P!nk, Robbie Williams, James Bay, Rod Stewart, Sia to name a few) come on to lend their voices too, with the soundtracks being available on streaming/download websites. I was reading comments about it a while ago and many parents were going on about how - alongside the actual Beatles recordings - that it was a great way to introduce their kids to The Beatles catalogue.

Last edited:
Even though I'm a fan of Prince, I must admit that he won't be having an everlasting legacy. He was never as commercially successful as MJ and made a lot of crappy music unlike Michael. 50-100 years from now, most people still would have heard of Michael Jackson, The Beatles. I can't say the same about Prince. I think he will be forgotten pretty quickly unfortunately.
Well darn, that's a bit harsh.
But yeah, I don't see Prince having the multi-generational appeal of Michael.
Not sure about how singles work but 1500 streams equals one album sale.
Here's a link to an article about it.
http://www.completemusicupdate.com/article/riaa-says-1500-streams-equals-one-album-sale-updates-gold-and-platinum-certifications/

Yeah honestly The Beatles are doing pretty well at the moment legacy-wise.
It also helps The Beatles that music magazines almost always have them as the #1 best act or having the best album in history. That's free publicity for them. The Beatles had a movie this year by Ron Howard. Prince didn't get that kind of press or publicity. Paul McCartney is one of the biggest concert draws today and Ringo's All Starr Band tours do pretty well too. Paul also did that song & music video with Rihanna, so he reached a huge younger audience.

Yes, it does count, altough not a one-on-one basis - ie. one streaming of an album doesn't equal one album sold, but you have to play the songs of an album 1500 times for it to count as an album sold. Now Billboard counts streaming in their main charts and RIAA also counts streaming in their certifications. That's actually how Thriller jumped from being certified for 30 million to 32 million last year. They added that 2 million because of the new rules of RIAA which now also counts streaming. And that is pretty impressive because it means 3 billion streams of the songs of the Thriller album - and in this only those streams are counted which were started from the US.

Last edited:
Yes, it does count, altough not a one-on-one basis - ie. one streaming of an album doesn't equal one album sold, but you have to play the songs of an album 1500 times for it to count as an album sold. Now Billboard counts streaming in their main charts and RIAA also counts streaming in their certifications. That's actually how Thriller jumped from being certified for 30 million to 32 million last year. They added that 2 million because of the new rules of RIAA which now also counts streaming. And that is pretty impressive because it means 3 billion streams of the songs of the Thriller album - and in this only those streams are counted which were started from the US.
IKR, that is pretty darn impressive.
I really want the estate to report MJ's total sales in America, so we can have an exact up to date number!

I love Kate Bush. I saw her Before The Dawn show second row from the front and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to.

I know what you mean about measuring success through commercial means, but it's swings and roundabouts. MJ was very concerned with being the best and I think he felt validated as an artist through his commercial successes. But for MJ, that spurred him on, to become the greatest. With other artists, being concerned with commercial viability often leads to them chasing trends, selling out, not being true to themselves etc. I don't think MJ ever had that problem, he always put his stamp on whatever he did, even when he was embracing new musical trends or using contemporary producers. This is partly why a project like Xscape kind of falls flat, because MJ's final touch is the missing ingredient.

But when I say it's swings and roundabouts, what concerns me as a fan of someone like Prince, is how his legacy will last for future generations. I am not concerned about this with Michael, despite everything that he's had thrown at him, I feel secure in my belief that his musical legacy will live on for hundreds of years to come, I truly believe that. MJ's music was always so universal, and young kids today love MJ just as they did thirty years ago. His hits compilations are constantly lingering in the charts, week in, week out. Thriller is played every Halloween without fail, you go to a wedding, nine times out of ten the DJ will play at least 2 or 3 MJ songs and everyone will get up on the dancefloor.

With Prince or Kate Bush and artists of their ilk, they have an almost cult following, and since Prince has passed, I have wondered what will become of his legacy once the people who became fans during his lifetime are gone. I mean, the man didn't exactly do himself any favours, by making so much of his music inaccessible, a good chunk of his later work is now out-of-print and he had an overly-zealous obsession with making sure his music couldn't be listened to or watched online without him being compensated for it. It's all very well taking that stance and fighting for artists rights, it some ways it's commendable, but what about preserving your own legacy for future generations? Warner Bros recently put out Prince's first posthumous release, a hits compilation which was fairly heavily promoted and has come out just in time for the Christmas market in the same year as his death. It failed to reach the top 20 here in the UK and just about scraped the top 40 Stateside. Prince could've had so much more universal appeal than he did, but he shot himself in the foot repeatedly and I fear his musical legacy will largely die out with his fanbase.

For MJ, he knew what he was doing. It wasn't just about being number 1 that week, he talked often about building a legacy and about the importance of his work living on and being immortalised. He achieved it through his unparalelled talent, attention to detail and ambiton, and whilst I think his appeal was unique exclusively to him, I do think other artists could've achieved a more enduring legacy had they taken the time and foresight to look beyond their own creative whims and self-indulgence.

I think a lot of Prince fans are in denial about Prince's legacy/future. I like some of Prince's stuff, so I sometimes lurk Prince.org. There's a whole thread discussing this topic.

A writer wrote an article expressing his fears that Prince would be forgotten for the very reason everyone is mentioning here. However, no one wanted to accept it. They spoke about how the Estate would in time rectify matters and put Prince on streaming services. They even mentioned how The Beatles gained more success once their music finds hit ITunes, saying how this will be for Prince.

But they're forgetting one thing: Much of the youth don't have a clue who Prince is.

I bet if you were to ask them who the Beatles are, they'll know. Ask them about Prince and you get crickets. I saw so many comments after his passing of younger ones saying they didn't know anything about him. Because of this, they aren't going to even be looking for his music even if they put it on those sites. Sure a few will simply find him and become fans, but the Beatles already had a following and recognition, something Prince won't be able to benefit from.

I had a feeling this was how it was going to go when I saw his music start to dramatically fall off the chart so quickly. That was solidified for me with this latest release. The album did very poorly. It's a shame, but I think this might be the eventuality of Prince.

I think with the huge megastars we had in the '80s, & I mean MJ, Madonna, Prince & probably Springsteen, is that their success was SO HUGE in that decade it overshadowed everything else they did, even though their fanbase would probably argue their best years came later.

E.g. Michael - majority of us prefer his '90s output over his '80s:
General public would quote songs from Thriller & Bad and may not have heard of WII, SIM, GITM, Jam, etc...etc...

Madonna - most think of True Blue, Like A Prayer, Like A Virgin and some '90s stuff like Ray Of Light, but as a huge fan I much prefer her output from 2000 (Don't Tell Me, Music, American Life, Hard Candy, Rebel Heart).

I'm only what you may call a casual fan of Prince. I own 3 albums plus the Greatest Hits that came out in the 90's (triple CD set) and have seen him live. But I know very little after The Gold Experience, mainly because any Hits collection out there doesn't include it.

In fact when I saw him live in Leeds a couple of years ago, I was disappointed that apart from 30 seconds of Diamonds & Pearls (one of his best tracks), there was nothing from the 90's or beyond, prefering instead a ten minute mostly instrumental cover of 'Play That Funky Music'.

MJ was similar in some respects. The 2001 MSG show for example *shudder*, only one song from his latest album & little 90s work. And the 1995 VMA's (which was amazing) was more directed his Greatest Hits (which admittedly made up one disc on HIStory), where as it would have been a great opportunity to do TDCAU or Earth Song.

I don't think a talent like Prince will ever go away but I agree his impact will be lessened by the reasons you all mention unless some measures are taken.

I don't think Prince will be completely forgotten. After all, he has a functioning museum now.

In my country, there are a few mansions-turned-museums where some writers resided. None of them is extremely famous, but there were a few sentences about them in my literature textbooks at high school. And the museums still stand although hardly anyone reads their books nowadays. That being said, maybe in 150-years time families will be hiking in Minnesota and thinking, "Hey, maybe we could go to Paisley Park, there's a museum dedicated to a musician from here."

I actually think Prince is in a worse position than Madonna and Michael. After Diamonds & Pealrs in 1991, he only really had one more hit (The Most Beautiful Girl In The World in '94) and then that was it. The moment he stopped getting major label backing, he stopped having hits, and then by the time he went back to a major label, it had been too long, and he wasn't getting airplay anymore.

Kind of similar to the problem MJ had when Invincible dropped. By late 2001, MJ hadn't been in the charts in nearly four and a half years, and in that time, a lot of lesser talented but young and good looking pretenders to the throne had cropped up. How many new Kings of Pop did we have around that time? Sisqo, Justin Timberlake, Ne-Yo... I even remember Q magazine reviewing a Darren Hayes album and saying how he had made a better Michael Jackson album than MJ himself (ludicrous of course).

A new musical landscape combined with behind-the-scenes tensions at Sony made an early 00's comeback for MJ seemed destined for failure. Prince suffered a similar fate with practically every major label album he released after 1991.

Madonna did remarkable really, to still be having proper hit singles well into the mid-late 2000's as she was approaching her fifties. It seems industry and media ageism and the emergence of lesser talented upcoming poptarts have finally put an end to that for her now, as she hasn't had a legitimate hit from her last two albums. I'm not a huge Madonna fan, but my wife is, and that second single from Rebel Heart (Ghost Town was it?) was one of her best songs in a long time. If that had come out ten years earlier, I am convinced it would've been a smash. But she seems to have finally reached the commercial roadblock that MJ and Prince both suffered, where she will always be a massive live draw, and her albums will always chart high, but the days of radio airplay and massive hit singles are behind her. But she did amazingly well commercially speaking to have had such a long run.

Yes, Ghosttown was Madonna's best single for ages and is a stunning record. Her best ballad since Rain & was criminal it didn't chart. Having said that, she should have done this at the Brits & Grammy's more than the 'Madonna by-numbers' Living For Love.

Rebel Heart's title track is also beautiful.

Much like Mike releasing the rather MJ standard YRMW over Whatever Happens or Butterflies as lead track from Invincible.

On the Q mag/Darren Hayes thing, I distinctly remember them reviewing Bobby Brown's Bobby as the album Michael Jackson wishes he'd have made a few weeks after Dangerous came out. History shows how crazy that comment is.

But that was their prerogative I suppose.

I thank you.

Well I can say most Prince fans just love Michael Jackson. We may compare the two excessively, but we definitely respect him. Many people here also have accounts on the prince.org. A goo dreason, both are alike as being super talented, great showmen and they dominated the 80s. Both were also huge Black superstars that had a huge global audience and they grew out of the restricted black music scene.

I actually think Prince is in a worse position than Madonna and Michael. After Diamonds & Pealrs in 1991, he only really had one more hit (The Most Beautiful Girl In The World in '94) and then that was it. The moment he stopped getting major label backing, he stopped having hits, and then by the time he went back to a major label, it had been too long, and he wasn't getting airplay anymore.

Kind of similar to the problem MJ had when Invincible dropped. By late 2001, MJ hadn't been in the charts in nearly four and a half years, and in that time, a lot of lesser talented but young and good looking pretenders to the throne had cropped up. How many new Kings of Pop did we have around that time? Sisqo, Justin Timberlake, Ne-Yo... I even remember Q magazine reviewing a Darren Hayes album and saying how he had made a better Michael Jackson album than MJ himself (ludicrous of course).

A new musical landscape combined with behind-the-scenes tensions at Sony made an early 00's comeback for MJ seemed destined for failure. Prince suffered a similar fate with practically every major label album he released after 1991.

Madonna did remarkable really, to still be having proper hit singles well into the mid-late 2000's as she was approaching her fifties. It seems industry and media ageism and the emergence of lesser talented upcoming poptarts have finally put an end to that for her now, as she hasn't had a legitimate hit from her last two albums. I'm not a huge Madonna fan, but my wife is, and that second single from Rebel Heart (Ghost Town was it?) was one of her best songs in a long time. If that had come out ten years earlier, I am convinced it would've been a smash. But she seems to have finally reached the commercial roadblock that MJ and Prince both suffered, where she will always be a massive live draw, and her albums will always chart high, but the days of radio airplay and massive hit singles are behind her. But she did amazingly well commercially speaking to have had such a long run.

They tried it SO damn hard with that new King Of Pop mess.
I've literally never seen such a big campaign to replace an artist as big and successful as Michael happen to anyone other then Michael himself.
Some people really couldn't stand Michael overall being such a successful artist.
That whole thing was so damn disrespectful.
They were literally out here trying to downplay/diminish Michael and strip him of his hard earned title to give it someone for being a less talented version OF Michael.

Edit:I think I remember some interview where the interviewer was pretty much trying to shove Justin Timberlake down Michael's throat as the new King Of Pop and Michael just kinda swerved away from that bullshit and redirected the interview.

I also remeber another interview where once again Justin Timberlake was being shoved down Michael's throat and almost as soon as the interviewer brought up Justin Timberlake Michael brought up Chris Brown and Usher.
I lowkey believe that in both situations Michael was being shady, and I love it LOL.

I know Michael had to have gotten tired of dumbasses trying to replace him, and/or interviewing him while pretty much baiting him to lie by saying that someone was the newer better version of himself.

Last edited:
I think a lot of Prince fans are in denial about Prince's legacy/future. I like some of Prince's stuff, so I sometimes lurk Prince.org. There's a whole thread discussing this topic.

A writer wrote an article expressing his fears that Prince would be forgotten for the very reason everyone is mentioning here. However, no one wanted to accept it. They spoke about how the Estate would in time rectify matters and put Prince on streaming services. They even mentioned how The Beatles gained more success once their music finds hit ITunes, saying how this will be for Prince.

But they're forgetting one thing: Much of the youth don't have a clue who Prince is.

I bet if you were to ask them who the Beatles are, they'll know. Ask them about Prince and you get crickets. I saw so many comments after his passing of younger ones saying they didn't know anything about him. Because of this, they aren't going to even be looking for his music even if they put it on those sites. Sure a few will simply find him and become fans, but the Beatles already had a following and recognition, something Prince won't be able to benefit from.

I had a feeling this was how it was going to go when I saw his music start to dramatically fall off the chart so quickly. That was solidified for me with this latest release. The album did very poorly. It's a shame, but I think this might be the eventuality of Prince.

The bold part is so true. When Michael died, everyone was talking about it at work and school. It was all about Michael. When Prince died, no one even cared. I told one of my friends that Prince died today and he was like "who is that?" You didn't get that with Michael.

The bold part is so true. When Michael died, everyone was talking about it at work and school. It was all about Michael. When Prince died, no one even cared. I told one of my friends that Prince died today and he was like "who is that?" You didn't get that with Michael.

That's a big stretch to say that no one cared.
While I don't believe that his death effected people on as large a scale as Michael's it was obviously a big deal. :/

That's a big stretch to say that no one cared.
While I don't believe that his death effected people on as large a scale as Michael's it was obviously a big deal. :/

No, obviously I didn't mean no one cared. I didn't word it properly. I meant not a lot of people cared. Like when Michael died, it was a massive deal. Even people who weren't Michael's fans were talking about it. With Prince, only his fans really cared.

After Diamonds & Pearls in 1991, he only really had one more hit (The Most Beautiful Girl In The World in '94) and then that was it.
7 from the 1992 symbol album was a Top 10 hit in the US.

No, obviously I didn't mean no one cared. I didn't word it properly. I meant not a lot of people cared. Like when Michael died, it was a massive deal. Even people who weren't Michael's fans were talking about it. With Prince, only his fans really cared.

Well that's complete bollocks.

And also my favourite Prince track.

And also my favourite Prince track.

One of my favorites too, was playing it last night!

I also remeber another interview where once again Justin Timberlake was being shoved down Michael's throat and almost as soon as the interviewer brought up Justin Timberlake Michael brought up Chris Brown and Usher.
I lowkey believe that in both situations Michael was being shady, and I love it LOL.

I think you're getting two interviews mixed up, a 2006 Access Hollywood interview and a 2008 interview for his 50th birthday.

In 2006, Will.i.am is talking about the current generation, he brings up how he and Justin Timberlake are products of Michael Jackson. After he finishes his speaking, Billy Bush and his team intercut footage of JT and MJ and asks the audience (so not MJ) about what those he inspired. Then we cut back to the actual interview where he says "Michael, I would love to hear what you thought of Justin Timberlake or something like that, because he's the closest thing to Michael Jackson I think today. You know what I mean?" to which Michael responds "I think Justin's doing a wonderful job, as well as Usher (Michael smiles) it's great to see. I'm inspired by what they do, and I'm sure I've inspired them. It's very nice." So he mentions Justin just as much as Usher, but no Chris Brown.

In the 2008 interview, they actually focus more-so on Brown by actually briefly cutting to a Chris Brown interview, where he talks about Michael's influence (along with a montage of Chris Brown clips intercut with Michael Jackson playing ontop). Michael then says "Some of the newer artists - I think Chris Brown is doing wonderful, and Timberlake. I really admire what they are doing." So in that interview, he actually voluntarily mentioned Justin's name.

I do get what you mean about the press trying to replace legacy artists. "Is he the new such and such?" "Are these the new such and such?" I just roll my eyes and forget about it. It's not true (and some of my favorites I've seen this done to - their legacy is well solidified. They won't nor can't be replaced, no matter how great the new artists are).

museum

I don't think Prince will be completely forgotten. After all, he has a functioning museum now.
Johnny Cash & B.B. King have museums. But the main people who will go to a museum are ones who are interested in the performer and/or has access to the location. It's not like a lot of non-Elvis Presley fans go visit Graceland. I don't think Minneapolis is a city that attracts a lot of tourists. I don't think Cleveland Ohio is one either, which is where the Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame is. As far as Prince, all they have to do is put one of his songs in the next Grand Theft Auto game. On Youtube I've seen old R&B songs that had no mainstream attention when they were originally released have millions of views just because it was in GTA, and many of the comments says that is where they became aware of a particular song. Other videos have comments about hearing a song in a TV commercial or a movie, like Boogie Wonderland by Earth Wind & Fire. Or they heard a sample in a current hit and searched for the original song.

One of my favorites too, was playing it last night!

I think you're getting two interviews mixed up, a 2006 Access Hollywood interview and a 2008 interview for his 50th birthday.

In 2006, Will.i.am is talking about the current generation, he brings up how he and Justin Timberlake are products of Michael Jackson. After he finishes his speaking, Billy Bush and his team intercut footage of JT and MJ and asks the audience (so not MJ) about what those he inspired. Then we cut back to the actual interview where he says "Michael, I would love to hear what you thought of Justin Timberlake or something like that, because he's the closest thing to Michael Jackson I think today. You know what I mean?" to which Michael responds "I think Justin's doing a wonderful job, as well as Usher (Michael smiles) it's great to see. I'm inspired by what they do, and I'm sure I've inspired them. It's very nice." So he mentions Justin just as much as Usher, but no Chris Brown.

In the 2008 interview, they actually focus more-so on Brown by actually briefly cutting to a Chris Brown interview, where he talks about Michael's influence (along with a montage of Chris Brown clips intercut with Michael Jackson playing ontop). Michael then says "Some of the newer artists - I think Chris Brown is doing wonderful, and Timberlake. I really admire what they are doing." So in that interview, he actually voluntarily mentioned Justin's name.

I do get what you mean about the press trying to replace legacy artists. "Is he the new such and such?" "Are these the new such and such?" I just roll my eyes and forget about it. It's not true (and some of my favorites I've seen this done to - their legacy is well solidified. They won't nor can't be replaced, no matter how great the new artists are).

LOL, I had a feeling I may have made a mix up, so I'm not really surprised.:rofl:

In the 2008 interview though, who knows, maybe Michael mentioned him because after having him shoved down his throat so much via media and whatnot he figured he might as well do it before the interviewer asked, especially since the interview seemed like it was going in that rather annoying direction anyways, LOL.

But still, in the 2006 interview I still think Michael was being a lil shady because although they shoved Chris and Usher Down his throat too they IMO went into overdrive with Justin Timberlake, and I'm sure Michael was at least a lil bit annoyed by it, so he brought up someone other then Justin (that person being Usher) to kind of shut the interviewer down on that mess.
In the end It may or may not have been shade, but I like to think it was.:)

Edit: For me it's also not about new acts replacing legacy acts.
It's straight up about the disrespect and disregard of after all Michael went through to get where got in the music industry that people really thought he could be replaced by someone that isn't too bad on their own, but really doesn't stack up at all compared to Michael.
Like I've said I'm sure it's been done to almost every popular artist at some point, but there was seemingly an entire media campaign to replace Michael and/or diminish his talent in comparison to someone who in reality wasn't touching him.
Even now, I see this mess done with Michael more then any other classic artists.

Last edited:
As far as Prince, all they have to do is put one of his songs in the next Grand Theft Auto game. On Youtube I've seen old R&B songs that had no mainstream attention when they were originally released have millions of views just because it was in GTA, and many of the comments says that is where they became aware of a particular song. Other videos have comments about hearing a song in a TV commercial or a movie, like Boogie Wonderland by Earth Wind & Fire. Or they heard a sample in a current hit and searched for the original song.

It'd be a really good idea to have a good Prince song in the next Grand Theft Auto. Apart from the fact that the franchise is one of the biggest ever (The latest game GTA V has sold similar, if not more, copies than Thriller), it's a really great way to introduce music to newer generations. My friends and I have learnt of many great songs over the years by hearing them on the radio in GTA (I had whole playlists dedicated to them in Spotify even). Combine that with a release of his music (even if it's just Prince 4Ever) on Spotify/Apple Music and you have a great start!

Really don't approve of artists music being used in commercials though (unless it's for a good cause, or for the artists material of course). I've heard so many songs for the first time in commercials that I associate that song with the commercial, and whenever I later hear those songs on the radio/streaming, they're immediately ruined for me because I can't help but think of the ad.

Of course, thats why advertising agencies do that but it really ruins it for me, and I'm especially against it (unless the ad is incredibly amazing and unique in itself, then maybe I can let it slide but that is rare). Michael was smart, he got around it by creating custom versions of his songs that were adapted for the advertisement, which is why I can hear Billie Jean without think of Pepsi Generation.

In the 2008 interview though, who knows, maybe Michael mentioned him because after having him shoved down his throat so much via media and whatnot he figured he might as well do it before the interviewer asked, especially since the interview seemed like it was going in that rather annoying direction anyways, LOL.

Mmm that doesn't really make any sense though, if Michael disagreed with it or was annoyed with it, why would he voluntarily bring JT up? If he wanted people to stop bringing up Timberlake in interviews with him, he wouldn't bring it up himself. That'd just... achieve the exact opposite of what he's trying to do?

I don't think it's too far-fetched to think Michael actually liked Timberlake and his work (even if he disagreed with the whole new "King of Pop" nonsense, which mind you was the press, not JT).

Mmm that doesn't really make any sense though, if Michael disagreed with it or was annoyed with it, why would he voluntarily bring JT up? If he wanted people to stop bringing up Timberlake in interviews with him, he wouldn't bring it up himself. That'd just... achieve the exact opposite of what he's trying to do?

Trust me, overall I'm sure he didn't like it (why would anyone like to be almost constantly baited into saying saying someone was a newer better version of themselves, LOL).
Also when I said what I said, I mean't that maybe he brought his name up before the interviewer to avoid the interviewer shoving him down his throat and going into a long spiel about how he was 'the new King Of Pop'.:rofl:
Kind of like a mention it and get it over with kind of thing.
It might not make sense to you in particular, but people do that kind of thing all the time.:yes:

I don't think it's too far-fetched to think Michael actually liked Timberlake and his work (even if he disagreed with the whole new "King of Pop" nonsense, which mind you was the press, not JT).

Well shit, Michael liked a lot of other artists and the rest of Nsync though, so if Michael did like Justin he wasn't special.
Michael liked Rihanna, Kanye West, Beyonce, Chris Brown, Lady Gaga, and Usher to name some, and I'm sure he would have liked Bruno Mars and the Weeknd if he had lived to see them.
Michael liked a lot of younger artists, but I'm sure that he didn't think any of them were on the same level as himself, nor did he think his like of them gave the media carte blanche to try and replace himself with any of them.
Michael was just a nice guy that was secure enough in himself as an artist that he didn't mind complimenting others (even if the compliments weren't always deserved).:yes:

And honestly, it matters not to me how Justin felt about the new King Of Pop mess or who/what was behind it.
He's already on my shit list for how he pretty much let Janet take all of the heat for The Super Bowl nip slip (which her career was never the same after).
So yeah. :ermm:

Last edited:
Trust me, overall I'm sure he didn't like it (why would anyone like to be almost constantly baited into saying saying someone was a newer better version of themselves, LOL).

Sure, no-one likes that. However in the aforementioned interviews specifically, Justin Timberlake was never made out to be better than Michael. For the 2008 one we're referring to, he's not even mentioned until Michael voluntarily mentions him, and for the 2006 one, he's mention by Billy Bush as "the closest thing to Michael Jackson, I think, today". Now while I can see different people interpreting "closest thing" in different ways (and in different measurements of how close, so to speak), it still doesn't mean better, as you said earlier.

Also when I said what I said, I mean't that maybe he brought his name up before the interviewer to avoid the interviewer shoving him down his throat and going into a long spiel about how he was 'the new King Of Pop'.:rofl:
Kind of like a mention it and get it over with kind of thing.
It might not make sense to you in particular, but people do that kind of thing all the time.:yes:

I highly doubt the interviewer would go on a spiel about JT being the new King of Pop in Michael's face. It's one thing to do it behind the cover of a magazine, another thing to do it right in front of the subject's face. There's a reason usually why interviewers may compliment their subject on one or two things, or be careful on how they word certain things to avoid offending the subject. They do that so the subject will be open for further interviews, and calling JT the new King of Pop would essentially shut down any future interviews between Michael and the interview/his agency. The closest thing I can imagine would be "Some critics are calling JT the new King of Pop. What are your thoughts on these comments?", it's a respectful way to get his opinion without implying what the interviewer thinks.

I get where you're coming from with the "mention it and get it over with kind of thing"... but yeah I still don't think Michael would do that. I can really only see him bringing up artists he actually likes or at least approves of, but hey agree to disagree. He's the kind to be very polite and nice when asked about someone, but he's not just going to voluntarily be nice about someone if he doesn't have to. Least thats how I see it ^_^

Well shit, Michael liked a lot of other artists and the rest of Nsync though, so if Michael did like Justin he wasn't special.
Michael liked Rihanna, Kanye West, Beyonce, Chris Brown, Lady Gaga, and Usher to name some, and I'm sure he would have liked Bruno Mars and the Weeknd if he had lived to see them.

I wasn't trying to say Justin was special, if that's what you're trying to get across ("he wasn't special").

But yeah! I like that Michael wasn't one of those grouchy old-timers who would go "rabble rabble rabble music used to be so good now it's shit!!". Even if it wasn't always his kind of his music, he could always see the beauty in it all and appreciate it for what it is :)

Sure, no-one likes that. However in the aforementioned interviews specifically, Justin Timberlake was never made out to be better than Michael. For the 2008 one we're referring to, he's not even mentioned until Michael voluntarily mentions him, and for the 2006 one, he's mention by Billy Bush as "the closest thing to Michael Jackson, I think, today". Now while I can see different people interpreting "closest thing" in different ways (and in different measurements of how close, so to speak), it still doesn't mean better, as you said earlier.

I highly doubt the interviewer would go on a spiel about JT being the new King of Pop in Michael's face. It's one thing to do it behind the cover of a magazine, another thing to do it right in front of the subject's face. There's a reason usually why interviewers may compliment their subject on one or two things, or be careful on how they word certain things to avoid offending the subject. They do that so the subject will be open for further interviews, and calling JT the new King of Pop would essentially shut down any future interviews between Michael and the interview/his agency. The closest thing I can imagine would be "Some critics are calling JT the new King of Pop. What are your thoughts on these comments?", it's a respectful way to get his opinion without implying what the interviewer thinks.

I would like to think that someone wouldn't do that either, but considering some of the off the wall (pun intended) stuff that had been said to Michael in interviews who knows.
Also, IMO although it wasn't always outright said, there was often times the subtext of Justin (or whatever other young artist that was mentioned alongside Michael) being the newer better Michael whether it was in articles, interviews, or anything else.
But no one sees things exactly alike.
Kanye-Shrug.png

commercials

Really don't approve of artists music being used in commercials though (unless it's for a good cause, or for the artists material of course). I've heard so many songs for the first time in commercials that I associate that song with the commercial, and whenever I later hear those songs on the radio/streaming, they're immediately ruined for me because I can't help but think of the ad.
What about Mike approving The Beatles' Revolution for Nike? George, Paul, & Ringo didn't like it and sued Nike and I think the ad company. I don't really associate songs with commercials, except actual jingles, because I usually already knew the song. There was a perfume commercial a few years ago that used Funky Space Reincarnation by Marvin Gaye, and I was surprised that an obscure song from an album that didn't do well (Here My Dear) was in an ad. Usually the songs in commercials are old hits. I do recall Sting releasing a new album and used the new single in a commercial for a car and he appeared in the commercial himself. Sting was promoting the song as well as the car, as by that point he was unlikely to get much radio airplay because of his age. I do think of Married With Children when I hear Love And Marriage by Frank Sinatra, because I watched the show and I never heard the song before the show.

Re: commercials

What about Mike approving The Beatles' Revolution for Nike? George, Paul, & Ringo didn't like it and sued Nike and I think the ad company.

In general, I'm glad Michael got the rights. I'd prefer him over any random business suit anyday because being an artist himself, he would know the true value of it and wouldn't just license it out left, right and centre.

However in saying that, I think this time Michael was disrespectful to The Beatles, their art and their artistic intentions. The Beatles had made it known they were against the commercialisation of their music in that way... and yet Michael went out and did just that, licensing it out to a shoe company of all things. I think he as an artist himself should've known better, and I'd hate to be someone who thinks of Nike every time a great song such as Revolution comes on.

Thankfully, that was really the only time I disapproved of Michael's use with The Beatles rights (I'm sure he got many more offers of that kind and refused them). The Beatles had done a commercial or two of that sort in their very early days, I believe, however they felt uneasy about it all and swore off it for good, refusing millions and millions of dollars from companies in the future.

I do think of Married With Children when I hear Love And Marriage by Frank Sinatra, because I watched the show and I never heard the song before the show.

It's funny because I'm watching a 4 hour Frank Sinatra documentary on Netflix right now (All Or Nothing At All - great doco by the way) and as soon as that song came on earlier, I immediately thought of that show too. Cannot hear a second of that song without thinking of the show.

EDIT: Speaking of that doco, Michael just appeared! It was in a session with Frank working with Quincy Jones, and they play a snippet of Quincy talking about having two of the greatest artists of their generation in the same room, no generation gap there. There's a solid half minute or so dedicated to Frank meeting Michael during a session :)
IEVOXuI.jpg

Last edited:
Re: commercials

It's funny because I'm watching a 4 hour Frank Sinatra documentary on Netflix right now (All Or Nothing At All - great doco by the way) and as soon as that song came on earlier, I immediately thought of that show too. Cannot hear a second of that song without thinking of the show.

EDIT: Speaking of that doco, Michael just appeared! It was in a session with Frank working with Quincy Jones, and they play a snippet of Quincy talking about having two of the greatest artists of their generation in the same room, no generation gap there. There's a solid half minute or so dedicated to Frank meeting Michael during a session :)
IEVOXuI.jpg

Frank seemed a pretty cool guy!
I read somewhere that he said the only male singer that he saw and that he thought was better then himself is Michael.
I'm not sure if that's true but if he did say it then that's pretty cool.
Not that Michael needed Frank's validation as a vocalist or anything, but yeah, it would be pretty cool if it was true that he said that.:)

Back