What is your Favorite Song from BAD!?

Smooth Criminal for sure. Still remember seeing the tracklist for HIStory the first time and being absolutely shocked that Smooth Criminal wasn't on there.

"I'm So Blue".

I know that didn't make the actual Bad album. But God damn, that song is absolutely excellent.

Nope! This doesn´t work! ;D

You cannot just choose ONE song from a Michael Jackson album as a favourite (I´m speaking for myself but also assuming this as a general rule lol).

Ask me what would be my least favourite one from the BAD album and things would get a TINY bit easier. :upside_down:

Tony R;4099282 said:
Another Part Of Me
Smooth Criminal
Dirty Diana
Man In The Mirror
TWYMMF
Liberian Girl
Bad
Speed Demon
IJCSTLY
Leave Me Alone
Just Good Friends

APOM may seem like a strange choice, but it just has THE FUNK. Even now after nearly thirty years since I first heard it, i get excited, my heart beats faster, I smile and can't keep still...

APOM live (BAD tour) = yesss! All the time! Although I do not have one favourite song from BAD, I think the different live performances of APOM during the BAD tour are my favourite BAD tour performances. Just Michael, the musicians ... and this effin funky song. I can´t help it! :jump:

SPEED DEMON ARE YOU KIDDING ME ppl what is wrong with y'all. CLEAR winner!

It's ok, I'm here to fix it and make it all better.

But ok, I have to say - there is something about Bad as a whole that REALLY divides fans. Why? It's always interested me. Some say Thriller/OTW was the best. Then there are the sane fans (like us :) ) that know the truth, that it was all about Bad.

It is SO hard to select a perfect track. I still get giddy over TYWMMF. Like, to this day it will instantly make me stop what I'm doing. I'll go "WOOOO!!!! MAH JAMMMM" and you will see me sashay over to a dancefloor or anything I can improvise as one. The only time ever anyone can get away with calling me "hey pretty baby with the high heels on" is for TWYMMF. That's it. Only exception.

And that's only one song! There isn't a jam on that record that doesn't make me have a stupid smile on my face (well, except MITM, but that is because I can't listen to it anymore. 2009 ruined it for me).

SC still wows me after all this time. The stacked vocals in Leave me Alone! The uplifting feeling in Bad. THE ENTIRETY of Speed Demon. The slow jammmz. The amazing pick-me-ups in the middle - it is the perfect album. Perfect.

I've never been able to explain it, but the "80s Michael" that people talk about always makes me think of Bad before Thriller. He really outdid himself IMO. I don't know what it is. That album as a whole, the image, the tour, the everything - it just has that extra spark.

But, Speed Demon, for real. I know the crazy insane bass line is probably a synthesizer, but I don't care - one day I'll learn to play it on a real bass.

SPEED DEMON ARE YOU KIDDING ME ppl what is wrong with y'all. CLEAR winner!

It's ok, I'm here to fix it and make it all better.

But ok, I have to say - there is something about Bad as a whole that REALLY divides fans. Why? It's always interested me. Some say Thriller/OTW was the best. Then there are the sane fans (like us :) ) that know the truth, that it was all about Bad.

It is SO hard to select a perfect track. I still get giddy over TYWMMF. Like, to this day it will instantly make me stop what I'm doing. I'll go "WOOOO!!!! MAH JAMMMM" and you will see me sashay over to a dancefloor or anything I can improvise as one. The only time ever anyone can get away with calling me "hey pretty baby with the high heels on" is for TWYMMF. That's it. Only exception.

And that's only one song! There isn't a jam on that record that doesn't make me have a stupid smile on my face (well, except MITM, but that is because I can't listen to it anymore. 2009 ruined it for me).

SC still wows me after all this time. The stacked vocals in Leave me Alone! The uplifting feeling in Bad. THE ENTIRETY of Speed Demon. The slow jammmz. The amazing pick-me-ups in the middle - it is the perfect album. Perfect.

I've never been able to explain it, but the "80s Michael" that people talk about always makes me think of Bad before Thriller. He really outdid himself IMO. I don't know what it is. That album as a whole, the image, the tour, the everything - it just has that extra spark.

But, Speed Demon, for real. I know the crazy insane bass line is probably a synthesizer, but I don't care - one day I'll learn to play it on a real bass.

The simple fact is that your right. Older fans (1958-1984) love Off The Wall and Thriller and view those albums as MJ's peak years. post 80's fans see Dangerous and HiStory as his peak. Bad is this kind of inbetween album in which older fans despise and younger post 80s fans can't relate to seen as they were too young to remember thus have not fond/nostalgic memories of and thus go cold about. I however, am one of the few listeners out all (fans or casual listeners) that view MJ's discography as progress as the years go by. Rather than claim what I believe his his 'best' album (I hate when fans and casual listeners do this.), I try to appreciate his whole body of work without favouring any one era of his career at the expense of another. I look at his albums as a kind of layer each bringing out a different style and together creating a huge vibrant synthesis of soundscapes.

Rather than claim what I believe his his 'best' album (I hate when fans and casual listeners do this.), I try to appreciate his whole body of work without favouring any one era of his career at the expense of another. I look at his albums as a kind of layer each bringing out a different style and together creating a huge vibrant synthesis of soundscapes.

Precisely! I get flak sometimes because Bad is my favorite - and, I suppose, maybe because there are so many casual listeners out there who discredit anything after Thriller, that some fans think I mean Michael did nothing good after Bad - which is so untrue! I am so enamored with all of his music that I will defend the quality of Invincible until the day I die. Dangerous and History are absolutely phenomenal, and I love the mystery in the fresh BOTDF songs. Each of Michael's albums are really truly so different, there isn't a best or worst! It is purely a matter of taste and appeal. I love them all, I really do - it's just that Bad has an extra special place in my heart for some reason.

But, back to the topic at hand, this thread is about the best song on Bad - and I still challenge anyone to beat Speed Demon! :)

The simple fact is that your right. Older fans (1958-1984) love Off The Wall and Thriller and view those albums as MJ's peak years. post 80's fans see Dangerous and HiStory as his peak. Bad is this kind of inbetween album in which older fans despise and younger post 80s fans can't relate to seen as they were too young to remember thus have not fond/nostalgic memories of
Hmmm. I did not realize until I read the last couple posts, that as an old 1958 fan I was supposed to despise BAD.

I remember the summer of 87 and running to buy an album for a guy I liked and seeing the album for the first time. And almost fainted in the store.

My sister started having kids in the mid 80s and they had sleepovers with me and I'd take them to the video store and let them pick what we were going to watch. And I always rented Moonwalker. I waited til they were asleep to watch it tho. Probably bc they didn't appreciate Fantasia when I played it for them the year before.

I waited til the big 'Black or White' premiere to introduce them to Michael but I waited too long, I think.

Anyway, I personally love BAD. Still play it all the time. The only song I didn't immediately love passionately was Speed Demon, but I loved the dance with Spike-so it was all good.

Hmmm. I did not realize until I read the last couple posts, that as an old 1958 fan I was supposed to despise BAD.

I remember the summer of 87 and running to buy an album for a guy I liked and seeing the album for the first time. And almost fainted in the store.

My sister started having kids in the mid 80s and they had sleepovers with me and I'd take them to the video store and let them pick what we were going to watch. And I always rented Moonwalker. I waited til they were asleep to watch it tho. Probably bc they didn't appreciate Fantasia when I played it for them the year before.

I waited til the big 'Black or White' premiere to introduce them to Michael but I waited too long, I think.

Anyway, I personally love BAD. Still play it all the time. The only song I didn't immediately love passionately was Speed Demon, but I loved the dance with Spike-so it was all good.

Interesting to hear your story. But the simple fact his stats don't lie. If you survey were Generation Jones (1957-64) and Generation X (1965-1980) which MJ albums they liked/bought/worshipped the most, the majority would probably go for Off The Wall and Thriller. It's not hard to comprehend when you further consider the changing musical landscape at the time (Hip hop/Grunge/Heavy Metal) and the media bias added more weight against the success of MJ's post-Thriller career. Unlike say Prince though, he successfully reinvented his sound to a more gritty, urban and experimental style to align with the mood of the times.

Last edited:
I think it's mostly nostalgia. The things people fell in love with will always hold a special place in their heart, no matter how good future things might be.
I recognized it with myself many years ago. Most artists/bands I love, the album or song I first fell in love with usually remained my personal favorite, no matter what work they would publish later on. I know many times I have biased feelings and don't claim it always has to be their best artistic work :D Can't blame anyone who feels that way about something they grew up with and also at the end of the day, musical and artistic taste and judgement is always subjective anyways :)

It's not hard to comprehend when you further consider the changing musical landscape at the time (Hip hop/Grunge/Heavy Metal) and the media bias added more weight against the success of MJ's Thriller career. Unlike say Prince though, he successfully reinvented his sound to a more gritty, urban and experimental style to align with the mood of the times.
I understand what you're saying. For me, that album was "Dangerous." Speed Demon, with all the funk and noise, was a pre-cursor (to me) of what was to come. And although I loved "Black or White", the next song I remember hearing was "Jam"-hated it, and always will-but don't talk about it very much on this forum because 99% of the people on the forum LOVE IT.

At the time, it crossed my mind that he was pandering to the young, record buying demographic, but since Michael had always loved ALL genres of music since he was born, I knew that wasn't it. He was one of the few people my age that loved Gershwin, and Duke Ellington and Harold Arlen, etc. as much as I did.

This was just a time when our tastes did not match. As you said, Hip hop/grunge/heavy metal," and also, NSJ were taking over the popular mainstream and to me they were more noise than music. But Michael always embraced the music of the time, truly loved and appreciated it and put his own twist on things and some songs grew on me. I just wouldn't have included BAD in that group-but that's me.

Interesting to hear your story. But the simple fact his stats don't lie. If you survey were Generation Jones (1957-64) and Generation X (1965-1980) which MJ albums they liked/bought/worshipped the most, the majority would probably go for Off The Wall and Thriller.

The simple fact is that your right. Older fans (1958-1984) love Off The Wall and Thriller and view those albums as MJ's peak years. post 80's fans see Dangerous and HiStory as his peak. Bad is this kind of inbetween album in which older fans despise and younger post 80s fans can't relate to

And where do you take your stats from? You act like Bad is an unpopular album which could not be further from the truth. Fact is that Bad is a more popular album than OTW. Fact is that it's MJ's second most popular album after Thriller. In both sales and on streaming services.

[/I]
And where do you take your stats from? You act like Bad is an unpopular album which could not be further from the truth. Fact is that Bad is a more popular album than OTW. Fact is that it's MJ's second most popular album after Thriller. In both sales and on streaming services.

You right, I have no stats at hand, but I guess like the Dianne said, it's about what was most nostalgic for the person at the time. Most of his fans from the 50's til' the 70s probably had fonder memories of Off The Wall and Thriller. Those albums were closer to 'that time' for them.

[/I]

Agreed. Bad gets rated very high (and it deserves that) among MJ's albums. But I wish Dangerous and HIStory could get as much exposure as well :( . But Bad is a masterpiece, I won't deny that, even tho I don't like it that much.

You right, I have no stats at hand, but I guess like the Dianne said, it's about what was most nostalgic for the person at the time. Most of his fans from the 50's til' the 70s probably had fonder memories of Off The Wall and Thriller. Those albums were closer to 'that time' for them.

This may be true; however, I was born in 87 and Bad is still my shiznit. :)

Most of us were born in a year, at least some musical output from the Jacksons was released. My year, they released their self titled debut album for Epic featuring the hits Enjoy Yourself, Show you the way to go and Dreamer, all of those songs I love.

However I want to rank the songs on Bad from best to least best (There is not a worst song on this album). You may find the ranking a bit boring, but oh well, if nothing else, you will see how much I love Bad. Even the 4 year wait from it to Dangerous was worth it.

1. The Way you make me feel 10/10(Highest 10/10)
2. Smooth Criminal 10/10
3. Man in the Mirror 9.9/10
4. Just Good Friends 9.7/10
5. Dirty Diana 9.6/10
6. Bad 9.5/10
7. I just can't stop loving you 9.3/10
8. Leave me alone 9.2/10
9. Speed Demon 9.1/10
10. Liberian Girl 7.7/10 - Just not that crazy about it, still a good track, don't get the "naku took a pea" line.

Unreleased jams on my special edition

Streetwalker 8.5/10
Fly away 9.6/10 (I just love it)

Other Track I associate with bad - Al Capone 9/10

Most of us were born in a year, at least some musical output from the Jacksons was released. My year, they released their self titled debut album for Epic featuring the hits Enjoy Yourself, Show you the way to go and Dreamer, all of those songs I love.

However I want to rank the songs on Bad from best to least best (There is not a worst song on this album). You may find the ranking a bit boring, but oh well, if nothing else, you will see how much I love Bad. Even the 4 year wait from it to Dangerous was worth it.

1. The Way you make me feel 10/10(Highest 10/10)
2. Smooth Criminal 10/10
3. Man in the Mirror 9.9/10
4. Just Good Friends 9.7/10
5. Dirty Diana 9.6/10
6. Bad 9.5/10
7. I just can't stop loving you 9.3/10
8. Leave me alone 9.2/10
9. Speed Demon 9.1/10
10. Liberian Girl 7.7/10 - Just not that crazy about it, still a good track, don't get the "naku took a pea" line.

Unreleased jams on my special edition

Streetwalker 8.5/10
Fly away 9.6/10 (I just love it)

Other Track I associate with bad - Al Capone 9/10

You forgot about Another Part Of Me

I rated the songs but what I ended up with became pretty boring and one-sided:

Bad 8/10
The Way You Make Me Feel 10/10
Speed Demon 10/10
Liberian Girl 10/10
Just Good Friends 7/10
Another Part of Me 10/10
Man in the Mirror 10/10
I Just Can't Stop Loving You 7/10
Dirty Diana 10/10
Smooth Criminal 10/10
Leave Me Alone 10/10

Yes, this album is that perfect to me. LOL.

Well, I might as well

BAD - 10/10
The Way You Make Me Feel - 10/10
Speed Demon - 9/10
Liberian Girl - 10/10
Just Good Friends - 8/10
Another Part Of Me - 10/10
Man In The Mirror - 10/10
I Just Can't Stop Loving You - 9/10
Dirty Diana - 10/10
Smooth Criminal - 10/10
Leave Me Alone - 10/10

Oh my Goodness, I did too, I knew I was missing a song, and what a song

Another part of me 9.4/10 between 6 and 7, making 10 out of the 11 tracks over 9/10.

I feel really stupid, because I love that song. I guess with Bad, the album is so good and staisfying, to me its like one 50 minute song rather than 11 tracks on analbum, but there is no excuse for me forgetting a song like Another Part of Me.:busted:

My favorite song of all time is Man in the mirror. And when Michael perform it live it get magical

but honetly all his songs are perfect.

Back