What is your take on Michael Jackson’s music video They Don’t Care About Us (Prison Version)?

StarlightXX

Proud Member
I got to say I really liked this one (though the Brazilian one will always be a classic). I liked how Michael’s fellow prisoners were doing a choreographed routine while sitting down, and everyone looked powerfully good at the acting.

I love the South American Version. It's one of my favorite of his videos.

The Prison one definitely fits the song better though.
I know you're from Australia, but in America a lot of African Americans (myself included), really resonated with that version.
Funny cuz it doesn't resonate with me at all. I find it pretty powerful though.

I like the Brazil version but the prison version definitely gets the point of the song across more directly.

I'm glad they did 2 versions of the video, I love them both equally but the prison one does a better job of getting the message across.

I know you're from Australia, but in America a lot of African Americans (myself included), really resonated with that version.
I like the Brazil version but the prison version definitely gets the point of the song across more directly.
The 2 versions (of that music video) serve different purposes.

The Brazilian version is meant to convey mainly messages of poverty/social injustice.

The Prison version is meant to convey mainly messages of police brutality.

The 2 versions (of that music video) serve different purposes.

The Brazilian version is meant to convey mainly messages of poverty/social injustice.

The Prison version is meant to convey mainly messages of police brutality.
There's policeman in the Brazil version too. There's a scene where Michael is singing to the face of one of them and they are immobile like those UK Royal Guards.

Both convey the same message in different ways. Art is great.

I found it a shame the prison version basically got forgotten and buried. eg on the Visionary single ($7), you only got one version instead of both.

Also strange there was never an audio remix with the extra drumming.

I'm glad they did 2 versions of the video, I love them both equally but the prison one does a better job of getting the message across.

I'm sorry to hear of your inequality issues. I'm sure the TDCAU videos helped with building on faith and hope.

In Australia, there are certain demographics that suffer prejudice (the homeless, mentally ill, Aboriginals, etc) so the message is familiar here, too.

I’ve always looked at the prison version as the original concept. Then at the end he breaks out of his chains and runs away to Brazil for the second version of the video. So like a continuation or “part deux”

The prison version is very direct. It has always interested me the most. Police brutality has always interested me & i am glad m spoke of it.
Nice we had two versions to choose from.

I’ve always looked at the prison version as the original concept. Then at the end he breaks out of his chains and runs away to Brazil for the second version of the video. So like a continuation or “part deux”
mmmm yes just going to write this too!

I love it. Because M looks handsome. As always. I just came here for M. Also maybe M wanted the general public to somewhat 'sympathize' for prisoners. idk it's just a wild thought

I actually prefer the prison version, because its bolder and more "in your face". The song itself was always about fighting injustice, and the Brazil version just never seemed to convey that too well...at least in my opinion.

Back