Where did the Moonwalk/Michael's dance moves originate?

- I read somewhere Michael called someone who was doing the moonwalk(backslide) on soultrain and contacted him/them.

- Cab calloway
kind of did the moonwalk aka backslide 2.

- Fred astaire and gene kelly -
if u watch their vids u'll def notice! (not moonwalk but other moves alike).

- Eletric boogaloo
are the "ghetto kids" mj got the moonwalk from and the guys on soultrain I suppose...

I DISAGREE WITH MOST OF THE THINGS THEY SAid about MJ in a video I found, which im gonna to give u the link 2....

Like they said - mj "stole" a certain move from them. man!
if its true, mj is creative enough to turn something unnoticed to a dance move! thats creativity...

and plus it wasnt them who originally came up with the moonwalk/backslide/popping (all the moves mj does)

Though i kind of agree when they said mj didnt give them enough credit...
(if its all not BS)

here's the link > http://youtube.com/watch?v=kvurA6CRQT0

Last edited:
Man, Michael doesn't talk about anyone. What is he supposed to do? Talk in depth about ever dancer he's ever worked with? I suppose he should talk about every mixer, editor, producer, audio technician, musician, back up singer and sound engineer he's ever worked with too, right? Do these kids think they're the only dancers Michael's ever learned from? LOL, damn. What about all those professional dancer's that Michael's danced with? The one's who would blow all the electirc boogaloos outta the water? The one's these kids don't usually get to dance with cause they ain't good enough? You never hear them bi*ch. Michael only ever speaks of people who he admired growing up, that's it. He doesn't talk about people, its not his style. He's not trying to hide anything, he just never talks about people. These fools just wanna take all the credit. But they didn't teach Michael how to dance. You can't teach anyone how to dance who doesn't have talent to begin with and Michael was dancing like a wunder kind before most of these fools were even born. He picks up steps faster then any of em', which shows an innate understanding of dance which they just don't have, and truth be told, they wish they could move as good as Michael. They can't, they don't have that kind of talent, to move with that kind of precisian, fluidity, grace and speed from one position to the next, getting the body to move itself from one step to another.

Last edited:
^ I also notice they said they were paid to do choreograph for him. Michael may well have seen kids on the street do it first and then went to these guys to work with.

I was a bit more worried about the reference to Michael taking something personal away from them that he didn't pay for, and then it ended up something silly. Well if Michael created part of his dance routine from someones clowning around more power to him.:lol:

Back