Whitney Houston Has Passed Away

So disgusting of National Enquirer to publish that photo and even more disgusting that someone the family trusted betrayed them all and profited off their deceased loved one. SMH.

just awful for the NE to do that.. and just awful for someone in the family or in that funeral home to take her picture and sell it

The posting of her picture in the coffin was disrespectful. However, I don't see anything chilly as The Daily Mail reported. She looked beautiful and at peace.

Although I think whoever managed to get this picture out should be ashamed of themselves it is somewhat comforting to see it. She does look beautiful and at peace. I know not all MJ fans will agree with me but sometimes I wish a photo of him in the casket had been made available (but at the family's choice).

I understand the point being made here but I hope to God a picture of Michael in his casket is never released to the press. It’s private between his children and him. They deserve the respect.

I actually think there's absolutely nothing wrong with the sudden explosion of Houston related posts.
For the simple fact that a lot of MJ fans actually do mean it when they say that the premature judgement of someone who gave the world joy through music is not okay- it wasn't okay with Michael and it's not okay with Whitney Houston.
For me that doesn't mean creating some ultra special relationship between the two- I can keep that separate. But it's not a huge stretch to actually apply some basic empathy to another artist. It doesn't mean throwing them into the same boat, etc.
The thing is thought that in MY mind there is a cross connection. When I was a teenager I used to sing
"From the moment I saw you
I went outta my mind
Though I never believed in, love at first sight"- while staring at MJ posters.
:wild: When I saw "Bodyguard", I was convinced there's nothing that could possibly stand in the way of my marrying MJ. :cheeky: "I thought, see, they're even making movies about it. Great, I just have to become a bodyguard, I guess." (yes, digging through my delusional teenage mind...)
I'm not a black girl from New Jersey- I am an almost translucent girl from the former East Germany- and STILL her music had an impact on me. Music 'does' different things to different people and unless you're in someone's head and mind as Snape said- you're not gonna know in detail about that.

I simply observe that people (generalizing here with the ultra wide brush stroke) in general love themselves great artistry and great emotion on a high musical level- but the same artists whom many once adored get ripped to shreds when just a peak of their other humanity shows- the same humanity that makes someone a great artist when they sing about love- is the same humanity that leads to being human and human struggles. (I'm not so much talking about anyone here, more what I have read green in the face in the comment sections and on facebook)

To fight a human struggle is not what is 'weak'- weak is the one who proclaims themselves infallible and immune to any human struggle that most of us know. There's an arrogance that becomes visible toward artists who are humans- the "see, you're not so perfect as you're artistry suggests". And it reeks of kicking someone when they're perceived to be down in someone else's eye- and that alone does warrant mentioning by those who fought for MJ because they never once in a million years perceived MJ as the 'freak' that a lot of people were convinced of seeing.

It could be empathy, sympathy and a hole other range of emotions. Thriller was actually the first LP that I bought- and "I'm your baby tonight" was the first CD that I bought.
So yes, I am shaken when I see certain media outlets descend on people they love to call 'weak'- but who accomplished things in their life that are so out of reach for most people.

Why did I not post in the Houston thread before her death? Because I was largely busy standing at the edge of the swirling black hole that the death of Michael continues to be. Great joy in the being Michael and outstanding, most defined and exquisitely detailed pain as well.

I'm a human being and it greatly disturbs me when an artist gets trampled on with posthumous, useless "I told you so", before their body has even arrived at the morgue. And as a fellow musician I am very disturbed by the way musicians get treated as "thanks for being the lovely backdrop and soundtrack to my life and now go away, please" attitude that so many artists experience in their lifetime. Earth is not a gentle environment for anyone with a greater sensibility than a loaf of bread. That basic understand among us humans should actually lead to greater empathy to fellow humans- but it somehow doesn't work out that way.

It doesn't mean that I have to liken these two to one another as being very similar. Absolutely not. They crossed paths and how could they not cross paths in this life??

You could of course say that people die every day and I don't post about it- very true. But there is also an advantage of being unknown. Those who loved you will cry for you. But they don't have to defend you to a worldwide audience of DAs, judges and juries rolled all into one. When I die, my family will bury me, nobody is going to analyze my last drink and if my hair was flawless, for crying out loud.

So yes, what is being done to those with a higher profile is out of proportion and frankly cruel. And I don't wish it on anybody.

And I was hoping that on a Michael Jackson board no poster would have to explain themselves for their basic motivations of humanity.

If her death doesn't move and affect you- I envy that. It affects me and especially the media treatment. I figured that an MJ board would be largely sympathetic to that.
:bow:Thanks Pace! This was so genuinely well stated and heartfelt.

I highly dislike Lewis Black, I don't think he's very funny at all and is rather rude, but...he hit the nail on the head with this one.

As for the Houston posts, well, it literally just happened, so of course there's going to be a whole lot of buzz about it. Like it or not, she was a part of the American fabric, and of music as a whole, so even among those of us who aren't exactly fans of hers, the loss is felt.

It's only a pity some, like the NE, cannot even during these times put their thirst for money to rest out of respect for the circumstances under which she died and the grief her family is still freshly going through. Human beings will always evade my understanding, it seems.

And it's an even greater pity that the media can't hold its tongue until the autopsy results come in--we don't know very much about the circumstances under which she passed at present, so any and all speculation on their part is truly unnecessary and hurtful to the family and the fans, as it presents a false image. They should hold off on reporting until the facts are known and an autopsy comes in. It's only basic respect.

What I really cannot believe are some people who take to social networking sites with posters of Houston next to some unknown musician, or some random person [in the one I saw w/a non-famous person, it was a US soldier] basically reproaching all the media coverage her death has gotten compared to the media coverage the other people's deaths got. Then there's the "necessary" list basically saying Houston was a drug addict, etc. and the other person was a decorated hero, etc. I think that's deeply unfair, and I called out some of my friends who posted such material.

They don't realize how lucky they are that they get the privilege of dying in anonymity. No one will ever pick at that soldier's life like vultures feasting on carrion meat for money. He will be mourned by his family and friends, and his most intimate details will not be plastered on television screens for all to see. Same with that Heavy Metal dude someone posted. His fans will mourn him, but they will not experience the injustice Houston fans are experiencing when all sorts of rumours and speculations come out, and when people who didn't really know her or had the loosest connection with her take the mic and say what they will for a couple of bucks.

I think there is largely a lack of understanding the general public has when it comes to things like this, which we know all too well from unfortunate experience.

Last edited:
What I really cannot believe are some people who take to social networking sites with posters of Houston next to some unknown musician, or some random person [in the one I saw w/a non-famous person, it was a US soldier] basically reproaching all the media coverage her death has gotten compared to the media coverage the other people's deaths got. Then there's the "necessary" list basically saying Houston was a drug addict, etc. and the other person was a decorated hero, etc. I think that's deeply unfair, and I called out some of my friends who posted such material.

They don't realize how lucky they are that they get the privilege of dying in anonymity. No one will ever pick at that soldier's life like vultures feasting on carrion meat for money. He will be mourned by his family and friends, and his most intimate details will not be plastered on television screens for all to see. Same with that Heavy Metal dude someone posted. His fans will mourn him, but they will not experience the injustice Houston fans are experiencing when all sorts of rumours and speculations come out, and when people who didn't really know her or had the loosest connection with her take the mic and say what they will for a couple of bucks.

This has annoyed me as well (with MJ's passing and now with Whitney's) and I like your explanation of why it may be better that these other people who have died have their anonymity. I also want to add that people like Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston are called "stars" and celebrities for a reason...they are famous and beloved worldwide and their music and work has touched people globally so OF COURSE they are going to get an incredible amount of attention when they die.

This has annoyed me as well (with MJ's passing and now with Whitney's) and I like your explanation of why it may be better that these other people who have died have their anonymity. I also want to add that people like Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston are called "stars" and celebrities for a reason...they are famous and beloved worldwide and their music and work has touched people globally so OF COURSE they are going to get an incredible amount of attention when they die.

I didn't see it at all with Michael, but then again that was back before I had Facebook, so I could have missed it altogether. I am also very careful as to whom I allow to be my friend on FB, so no one who dislikes Michael is my friend on there. Since I'm not a Whitney Houston fan, I don't discriminate my prospective [or existing] FB friends on that basis, but still...basic human decency.

She had a family, who needs to be shown respect as they mourn. A certain amount of decency should be shown, if not for Houston, then for them.

Also with ppl saying that it was someone in whitneys family who took that pic & sold it to NE- we dont know if that has been confirmed.

Definitely a big loss. Not many big time stars like that left. Most left behind are imitators and wannabes of MJ and Whitney. Sad to say but true. EVERY single big voiced diva out there and every male pop star artist out there are biting their style (and not usually in a flattering way).

We still have Mariah and Alicia but I understand what you mean. It still hurts, I wish we could have had them much longer than there time was up.:cry:

I didn't see it at all with Michael, but then again that was back before I had Facebook, so I could have missed it altogether. I am also very careful as to whom I allow to be my friend on FB, so no one who dislikes Michael is my friend on there. Since I'm not a Whitney Houston fan, I don't discriminate my prospective [or existing] FB friends on that basis, but still...basic human decency.

She had a family, who needs to be shown respect as they mourn. A certain amount of decency should be shown, if not for Houston, then for them.

If you think whitney has had it bad, mj had it x 1000. The constant griping at the news coverage on mj at the expense of other news was constant - media only focussed on mj as ratings wd go down if they covered something else. It culminated in a new york elected senator peter king coming out on tv and condemning the coverage and calling mj a pedo who had no significance apart from being able to dance a little. This was before the public memorial.

Although I think whoever managed to get this picture out should be ashamed of themselves it is somewhat comforting to see it. She does look beautiful and at peace. I know not all MJ fans will agree with me but sometimes I wish a photo of him in the casket had been made available (but at the family's choice).

I wouldn't mind to see a pic of him in his coffin. And to be perfectly honest, I'd rather to have seen him peacefully in his coffin than to see his dead naked body on the autopsy table as it happened.

Last edited:

I was in a chat room the morning of Whitney's memorial and people there were complaining about all the media coverage given for Whitney's death. Some of the comments were really terrible and bothered me to the point where I had to say that I believe the dead should be respected. And many were asking (in a rude, obnoxious way) why there wasn't a lot of media coverage for that young soldier that was killed recently who was a twin. I mean, comments like that make me gag. Of course we feel sad for the people who give their lives for our country. But they individually are not globally beloved mega celebrities. I didn't grow up knowing their work. They didn't move me with an emotional ballad like Whitney did me. Or make me smile and temporarily forget my troubles with a fun music video like Whitney and MJ did for us. I didn't grow up watching them on TV from the time they were a child and watch them transition into a global phenomenon like I did MJ. Some people just don't get it.

I wouldn't mind to see a pic of him in his coffin. And to be perfectly honest, I'd rather to have seen him peacefully in his coffin than to see his dead naked body on the autopsy table as it happened.

I so disagree with you both! It was bad enough to have seen that death photo at the hospital and it was even worse when just last week I was on You Tube and, BAM! there was the autopsy photo that was shown in court, which I might add I had not seen before 'cause I did'nt care to (I was so horrified). So, seeing a pick of MJ in his casket is not a pic I would ever want to see under any circumstance, its not how I want to remember MJ. A photo like that should not be put up for public dissecting.

[

RARE :love:

416886_1983426522343_1743630533_993063_597969443_n.jpg

I have said before that both Whitney and MJ would have been happy and healthy had they gotten together, and married. They were so troubled, they would have found comfort in each other.

I was so shocked to find out she had died. She just seemed much happier and healthier, like she had finally gotten her life together. It was just so unexpected.

I saw on the tv this morning that it was said in the papers in the uk new rumours going round bout whitney & jermaine jackson were having an affair in the early 80's. Not sure if this is 100% true though as we all know anything that is posted in newspapers arent always reliable

Back