Why did MJ not support Invincible with a tour?

this topic gets mixed with the success of invincible and what went wrong.. but MJ did not tour (the only reason that is understandable to me) is because he did not want to... SONY (like any record company) would want there artist to tour to promote the album..

It's not the artist that goes "let me travel all around the world, time changes and no sleep".. Performing is one thing, touring (traveling)is another..

He wanted to, but got disturbed by all these SONY-crap going on in the background. So he Decided to do some small shows around New York instead + he had kids to take care of. He seem to have gained some weight since 1999 (he was VERY thin '99), so maybe he wanted to "get in shape" first, rehearsals and stuff. All this ruined by $ony of course.

this topic gets mixed with the success of invincible and what went wrong.. but MJ did not tour (the only reason that is understandable to me) is because he did not want to... SONY (like any record company) would want there artist to tour to promote the album..

It's not the artist that goes "let me travel all around the world, time changes and no sleep".. Performing is one thing, touring (traveling)is another..

Yeah I think MJ was willing to perform, (Seoul & Munich, MSG, Bandstand, Apollo), he just didn't want to tour.

Btw Sony threw serious money at MJ for an invicible tour but he turned it down.

^
Apollo and United We Stands performances (two performances we have to see one day in full).. that was some of MJ's lasts in front of a live audience. WE HAVE TO damn it..

Michael 2002

Can anyone tell me why he didn't do anything live from invincible like so far as 2002 apollo,ab..
Apart from him & sony,was he not able to promote them himself? He constantly did dangerous for every tv event. 95vma, 95 soul train,1999 mj n friends,02 apollo,& ab...like yrmw live or butterflies as it was the single of 02 so why not perform those? Can anyone answer this?
20c071214d3cb153ab172ecbd64bc9ae.jpg

Re: Michael 2002

9/11 didn't help, but neither did his tirade against Motolla and Sony and playing that race card nonsense (professionally, it was his worst moment and screamed of desperation imo. I think the promo for Invincible could have been done SO much better, but let's not pretend that Sony didn't do a lot. Him not touring for the album was also another big misstep. Would have saved that era by showing he can still fill arenas and stadiums despite having a modestly successful album by MJ standards).

And yes, as you said, wtf was up with him not doing any new songs during those few promo appearances??
He did that Dick Clark thing and performed Dangerous?? DANGEROUS?? You have a new album out and you not only NOT perform a new track, but you don't even chose a hit single. You chose an album cut that outside of the major fanbase, is obscure?

But thats just my .02

I don't know but here is what I think. He didn't want to tour so he didn't bother to make a new choreography for some one off performance. It would have taken a lot of time to do it. He did choreography for You Rock My World so yes he could have performed that more. I find it interesting that the performance was different for the both MSG concerts. He added the dancers there for the second show.

9/11 didn't help, but neither did his tirade against Motolla and Sony and playing that race card nonsense (professionally, it was his worst moment and screamed of desperation imo. I think the promo for Invincible could have been done SO much better, but let's not pretend that Sony didn't do a lot. Him not touring for the album was also another big misstep. Would have saved that era by showing he can still fill arenas and stadiums despite having a modestly successful album by MJ standards).

And yes, as you said, wtf was up with him not doing any new songs during those few promo appearances??
He did that Dick Clark thing and performed Dangerous?? DANGEROUS?? You have a new album out and you not only NOT perform a new track, but you don't even chose a hit single. You chose an album cut that outside of the major fanbase, is obscure?

But thats just my .02
Yea that really bothered me as kid & i saw each one of them live. Please believe when mj was on tv i was/am tuned in 20min b4 showtime & that's hype for the ads they show before the show. It really had messed me up when he caped james! I think that was the 1 & only time i constantly kept saying to myself what if mj came out...man i was in shock tears because it was like esp or something. Anyway bk to what we where saying but it's soooooooo many hits, so many other choices. Although i liked the mj & friends 1999 version because it's very different,why not do butterflies, it was a great groove, & at the time he didn't even have to do much because that whole 01-02 era was very bad. Msg shows he was under the influence & his eyes were closed that whole show & if u compare that show to any other event from that era it's clear something was very wrong. I remember being 11yrs old at the time it was premiered & kept saying ytf is he holding the mike with his hand over his mouth,usually when he does that he doesn't know the cue/lyrics. (Watch rtt 93 soul train) & hell i don't c why he didn't redo rtt after the "injury incident" which i don't think is true. Imho i think he faked that. I might have even read that because it was new & challenging or something like that but apollo & ab i was watching them both like....i remember saying to myself please don't do dangerous please & then i hear that good the bad & ugly theme & I'm like oh man but f it, it's still mj! He could've done it like the old shows where afterwards he would do yana,why not a new song (butterflies) after them? Dangerous was fun but it got old. Thriller would've been more iconic to perform than dangerous. I'm not against the song by far, i love it but invincible could've been solely different. If he went to sign cds at the Virgin store I'm sure he could've performed newer songs!
44af93695cf512fd5d7460c50c81da3a.jpg

Yeah.
Its not to say that the DANGEROUS performance was bad or anything. But DANGEROUS??
It still boggles my mind how Michael didn't even bother promoting his new album by that point.

The Dick Clark one specifically would have been a great opportunity to do YRMW, and even do the choreography from the video.
Or why not a medley? 3 or 4 songs.

I dunno. It just seemed like a wasted opportunity.

Invincible definitely came out at a strange time. I think "You Rock My World" entered the Billboard Hot 100 the week of 9/11 and the album followed just 5 weeks later. The biggest factor was probably Michael and his team struggling against Sony head Tommy Mattolla. The album was never going to do Thriller numbers, but it would have done better if everyone had been getting along and, bottom line, the tour was probably tied to the success of the album.

I did like all of the different sleeves that were available for Invincible week 1. :)

screen-shot-2013-10-30-at-8-36-08-am.png

I remember!! of course I had to get all 5 :lol:

I honestly didn't like that Invincible had 5 different covers when it was released. I felt it was just a way to boost sales through hard core fans that would want to buy all 5 colors. And that strategy worked on me!
I thought it was brilliant. everyone was mad at me for buying them all, because they thought it was a waste of money :lol: it bothered my dad especially, because not only did he think it was a way to rip people off, but he absolutely hated the album...my brother was mad too :lol: so I was like, yeah, i'm gonna get them all, so what? you mad? :lmao:
when I found out how much it bothered them, it became the number one reason for me to get them all, rather than getting them for the purpose of collecting :rofl:

him singing in the Bahamas in 1998,idk why i didn't use an 02 pic,but he doesn't look all that different to me
https://youtu.be/GdkM-yRO6JQ
wow, didn't recognize him from that :blink: the picture is altered?

I bought one copy in original gray because I didn't have money to throw away.
Didn't MJ say something along the lines that it would be "fun" for fans to buy and collect all versions of the cover?

4820143-1010070502-tumbl.gif

Yea that really bothered me as kid & i saw each one of them live. Please believe when mj was on tv i was/am tuned in 20min b4 showtime & that's hype for the ads they show before the show. It really had messed me up when he caped james! I think that was the 1 & only time i constantly kept saying to myself what if mj came out...man i was in shock tears because it was like esp or something. Anyway bk to what we where saying but it's soooooooo many hits, so many other choices. Although i liked the mj & friends 1999 version because it's very different,why not do butterflies, it was a great groove, & at the time he didn't even have to do much because that whole 01-02 era was very bad. Msg shows he was under the influence & his eyes were closed that whole show & if u compare that show to any other event from that era it's clear something was very wrong. I remember being 11yrs old at the time it was premiered & kept saying ytf is he holding the mike with his hand over his mouth,usually when he does that he doesn't know the cue/lyrics. (Watch rtt 93 soul train) & hell i don't c why he didn't redo rtt after the "injury incident" which i don't think is true. Imho i think he faked that. I might have even read that because it was new & challenging or something like that but apollo & ab i was watching them both like....i remember saying to myself please don't do dangerous please & then i hear that good the bad & ugly theme & I'm like oh man but f it, it's still mj! He could've done it like the old shows where afterwards he would do yana,why not a new song (butterflies) after them? Dangerous was fun but it got old. Thriller would've been more iconic to perform than dangerous. I'm not against the song by far, i love it but invincible could've been solely different. If he went to sign cds at the Virgin store I'm sure he could've performed newer songs!
44af93695cf512fd5d7460c50c81da3a.jpg
I love how you put pictures of him in your posts. Always makes the thread so much more nice and pleasant to go through, when seeing those beautiful pics :give_heart::girl_love:

Why would he go on tour if the record label is not supporting the album? Sony officially cancelled the promotion of Invincible in early 2002. What would be the point of it? To spend time with his fans?

Let's also not forget that he was busy being a dad during that time. So the engery & time to spend was limited, next to all the other problems.

Why would he go on tour if the record label is not supporting the album? Sony officially cancelled the promotion of Invincible in early 2002. What would be the point of it? To spend time with his fans?
well, yeah. wasn't that 1 of the reasons he toured, even though he hated it? but of course he couldn't go on tour just for that when the record label was not supporting the album

Yeah.
Its not to say that the DANGEROUS performance was bad or anything. But DANGEROUS??
It still boggles my mind how Michael didn't even bother promoting his new album by that point.

The Dick Clark one specifically would have been a great opportunity to do YRMW, and even do the choreography from the video.
Or why not a medley? 3 or 4 songs.

I dunno. It just seemed like a wasted opportunity.
A little rehearsal was all he needed! It would've been perfect. Already had the costume on lol
079b7e2c38d8fc3ff26aa9495743736f.jpg
144ebcc88b0f7cbfd616defb39a0fbe3.jpg

promotional issues with Invincible was just a big cluster F*** by both parties in my opinion... There was no way those two could get together to plan a tour by when the time would come..

I find it a little hard to believe that the thought of a comeback tour in 2002-2003 didn't come up in Michael's head a few times. I've always believed that the 2002 performances were a little bit of a preparation for a possible Invincible tour...But of course, the perfect storm of Martin Bashit's interview and the Gavin Arvizo allegations just completely ruined any and all chances for an Invincible tour, just like how the Jordie Chandler allegations ruined any chance of a 1994 US leg of the Dangerous Tour.

Michael was obviously moving on past Invincible by the time the allegations came.. His mind was on promoting 'One More Chance' single with filming a video in 2003..

Unfortunately this is the one incident in MJ's professional career where I disagreed with SOME of the things he was doing. There are two sides to the story of why Invincible lacked the proper promotion (and eventual cancellation). There were clearly creative differences which massively frustrated MJ - such as releasing YRMW instead of Unbreakable etc.

However I think a big world tour wasn't something MJ wanted to do. You could tell on the History tour that he started to lose interest and wasn't engaged to anywhere near the same degree he was on the Bad and Dangerous tours. He clearly struggled with touring, hence the need to use Propofol and other sedatives during the History tour.

In the end it was a combination of factors on both Mikes and Sony's side.

I think the whole Sony sucks campaign was an unfortunate one and what I was referring to at the start of this post as one of the things in his career that he did that I didn't agree with. I think he lashed out and the spectacle didn't do him any favours. It's a real shame. The whole Invincible saga was a sorry state of affairs.

I also think MJ was very conscious of the way he looked in 2001/2002. He looked so much better right up to about 1999, and he looked quite a lot better from 2004/05 onwards.

Not only does did he not want to tour, I could imagine what was in his mind... I mean he knows it's the label that wants you to tour, he's fighting with them, why would he "reward" the label he is fighting with!?!?

Not saying that I think Mike acted appropriately under the circumstances but I get it... If Sony went along with what MJ wanted for the album I am sure we would have gotten more than 30th anniversary in 2001..

I don't think MJ wanted to go through the gruelling process of travelling and jet lag that comes with touring especially with very young kids. Obviously the issues with Sony didn't help either. But I really think MJ could have done maybe a one night special that he was supposed to do to promote the HIStory album for the Invincible album. I don't really think MJ was happy with the Invincible album and I think that was also a big reason as to why he didn't want to tour for this album.

His whole tirade against Sony for being "racist" was just weird.
I was a fan and supported him though everything, but that was the one time where I just thought "Yeah, I don't think so Mike...". The whole thing was a mess on both sides, but I don't believe that the lack of promotion on Sony's side was because Michael was black.

nice solid discussion here (y)
I agree with most of what is written here. Yes, there are always two sides to a story! I understand the whole 'frustration' that MJ had cause $ony told him 'what to do' on a commercial base and MJ felt like his 'creativity' was attacked and 'conditioned'. I know for a fact that 'creative' people certainly hate that people tell you what to do. That was one factor!

Second factor, indeed. You don't drag along young kids on a tour as MJ didn't want his kids to 'suffer' like he did and he couldn't leave them behind too hey!

3rd factor is MJ's health. The one thing that really comes to mind during the 30th anniversary is MJ's 'back problems' and still 'forced' to perform like nothing was wrong. I know, you always have duties to fulfill but no one thinks about the 'human' side of it. Yeash, I saw it LIVE. I was torn and worried to bits though.

I've had mixed feelings to about the whole $ony boycott too. Yeash, I admit I went to the 2 demos. The one in London and the one in NY but I guess it was for me the ONLY way to see MJ and 'be close' to him as I just wanted to support him though in the back of my mind I knew it was a 'dangerous' game to play.

With the racist thing Michael could have made a larger statement speaking about the music industry in general.. Singling out Sony as racist just did help him look very..... very... I'm trying to find the right word without being rude!! Just not good.. If anything it made matters worse and could have been handled very differently. For the largest star in the world to jump on a bus holding signs and ranting (while usually recluse) gives the public another shot of him doing something (what they would call 'odd') and gives Sony more reason to pull away from supporting his work..

Angry or not - just wasn't the best thing to do and It didn't feel good seeing that...

mjjPrince - 70% of the reason tours happen is to boost sales.. Low sales is even more of a reason to tour.. Instead since things were not going well Michael did a single autograph session like a B list celeb to boost sales... This to me really showed where his confidence was...

His first autograph session in his adult career... 2001 was a very sad time, it was the first time it was noticeable in public regarding substance use... a few times!

Back