Why does MJ never get proper credit for his voice...

I think a better question is why doesn't Michael get proper credit as a songwriter?

^^That is an excellent question Analogue. They can try to make it clandestine but it all always boils down to his inability to play an instrument proficiently. My 2 cents.

^^That is an excellent question Analogue. They can try to make it clandestine but it all always boils down to his inability to play an instrument proficiently. My 2 cents.

Music snobbery at it's finest

Being able to play an instrument doesn't mean that it would make someone a great composer. Someone could be the greatest multi instrumentalist in the world and still be a crap songwriter. I also challenge any instrumentalist to create something as great as Don't Stop Til You get Enough, Heartbreak Hotel, Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal and They Don't Care About Us

Music snobbery at it's finest

Being able to play an instrument doesn't mean that it would make someone a great composer. Someone could be the greatest multi instrumentalist in the world and still be a crap songwriter. I also challenge any instrumentalist to create something as great as Don't Stop Til You get Enough, Heartbreak Hotel, Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal and They Don't Care About Us

My sentiments excatly. i just listened to TDCAU earlier this morning, my god. I just came to the realization that this song contains his most powerful, socially conscious lyrics he has ever written. You know there's a double standard i'm sensing here. An artist stands before 60 000 + people, singing and dancing his ass off giving an electrify performance and what is the final assessment? He's not a true musician. Another artist performs more or less 60% of the concert doing guitar solos and improvs and smash his guitar at the end; and the final assessment? Oh he's such a musician with a tortured soul.

Michael did not get proper recognition for hardly anything... I can't speak for everywhere but here in the U.S. they really do want to keep the great "white hopes" of America as #1... Elvis and Beatles.. They will brainwash by creating a demand that does not exist to make it happen

Michael Jackson's singing and normal voice in talking is nothing near Unilateral! That is a far far far...opposite!

My sentiments excatly. i just listened to TDCAU earlier this morning, my god. I just came to the realization that this song contains his most powerful, socially conscious lyrics he has ever written. You know there's a double standard i'm sensing here. An artist stands before 60 000 + people, singing and dancing his ass off giving an electrify performance and what is the final assessment? He's not a true musician. Another artist performs more or less 60% of the concert doing guitar solos and improvs and smash his guitar at the end; and the final assessment? Oh he's such a musician with a tortured soul.

I love "They Don't Care About Us". It's a very angry song so I love to just put it on blast, especially when I've had a miserable day. (And today was one of those days.) Anyway, I agree. Being able to play an instrument, even really well, does not make somebody a "great musician". A musician is more than just playing instruments. It's what the individual does with that music, and I don't see how anybody can disagree that Michael was a flat-out genius. It just boggles my mind. He does get a lot of credit, but not nearly enough.

Michael did not get proper recognition for hardly anything... I can't speak for everywhere but here in the U.S. they really do want to keep the great "white hopes" of America as #1... Elvis and Beatles.. They will brainwash by creating a demand that does not exist to make it happen

Yeah well, they can't change what I already know to be true in my own brain. Michael surpasses everyone. And I don't say that with rose-colored glasses on. It's a fact.

My impression is that Michael does get praised for his voice. Imitation is a form of flattery and tons of people do an impression of him. Of course it seems like it's other artists rather than (usually talent-less) music critics. It's true though Michael is seen as an all around entertainer more than just a legendary singer. Michael is obviously one of my faves but when I think of greatest singers I first think of David Ruffin, Jackie Wilson, Freddie Mercury, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles and Sam Cooke. When I think of greatest entertainer it's Michael easily.

I would go as far to say that I think Michael Jackson had the best voice of any male I've ever heard. Absolutely astounding in every way.

I think most people forget the pure singer Michael really was and the general public when thinking of Michael Jackson only think of Black or White or Beat it etc.... But don't really here the vocals because the instantly recognisable music gets in the way!!!!

http://youtu.be/UfHzy7oShCY

Would love to of heard Michael sing this song later on in his adult life - in This is It would of been incredible.

It's not that he didn't get proper credit. It was more like that his dancing skills were more commented by the press. All the articles about him made reference to his dancing. His dancing was the most distinguished quality about him. No one could dance like him. Making a comparison. When they talk about Elton John, most of the articles mention his piano playing, but not always his singing, despite of him being a great singer.

Look at Eric Clapton. Many people would consider him to be more of a songwriter than MJ because he's an excellent guitarist, but Clapton wrote very few of his own songs

Back