Why Has He Never Acquired Parental Advisory Stickers?

I don't think the RIAA ever thought that Michael's music was ever lyrically suggestive or bad in that way, so they never felt the need to slap a Parental Advisory sticker on it. But I think some 70's artists, like John Lennon and Frank Zappa, would have gotten those stickers if their music had come out a little bit later. Little bit of music trivia: Both Frank Zappa and John Denver sat on the council of musicians who were questioned about lyric content in popular music.

Michael Jackson said in an interview once that the reason why his music was so upbeat and family friendly was because he wanted it that way. I think he said he didn't want to be an artist that the whole family couldn't listen to.

I'm not a big Tool fan anymore, but back in the early 90's (at the very beginning of that mess), they released a song and video slamming the record industry for censoring music. It was the only music video that they appeared in. Can't remember what the song was called, now.

Yes, absolutely. That's why I love him, he is so good that he doesn't even need to appeal :lol::lol: ...

Even though he was a little bit handsome, and has some songs that I like, others, just the melody lol, I can't afford John Lennon :whisperinginear: lol

Oh.. I didn't know that. Thank you for this good information ^_^

Michael addressed some mature themes in his music, particularly on Dangerous and HIStory...but I guess it was too minor for the ratings boards to care.

Those were censored in the later pressings.
You can still get the uncensored one though. When I lived in Dallas about five years ago, my local music store released a version of HIStory that had Spanish text on the discs, but the music itself and the whole booklet were in English. When I heard those tracks, I was surprised no censoring existed on them. I'm thinking it must have been some kind of import version, because the discs have Spanish text around the edges and something about "Sony Music Argentina".

MJ didn't need parental advisory stickers because he was a professional and kept it clean for 40+ years. He didn't swear like a sailor like some of these wanna be thugs in the rap game do.

MJ only swore a handfull of times:

1. Scream- F bomb
2. This Time Around- S bomb twice
3. Morphine- S bomb once, and he said bitch.

He said damn on Dangerous, but I personally don't consider that swearing. In total, Michael swore 5 times on his songs in his 40+ years of singing. Don't see why he needed a sticker. If he was more angry during HIStory and threw down some more S and F bombs...then yes I could see it happening, but it didn't.

In regards to the "controversial" lyrics on They Don't Care About Us, I think that was taken way out of proportion and was handled wrongly. While I personally like the sound effects covering the lines up, I don't think they were needed. Sony & MJ should have told the protesters (which I don't believe were many) to beat it.

and lets be real here.. The parent Resource Center was much more focused on rap, specific rock, and "Scary" sounding music that the board thought to even take a look at a Michael Jackson record to for a possible Parental Advisory board... Michael censored himself before people could censor him for his whole career.. Even when he got crap for using the "K" word in TDCAU, he covered it up with a sound..

Parental Advisory Stickers

Tipper Gore and PRMC started the use of the parental advisory sticker due to the lyrics in rock music and her daughter hearing Prince's "Darling Nikki".
Actually, there were stickers before the 1980s, but they didn't say "Parental Advisory". The sticker was voluntary and was mostly used on comedy albums (like Richard Pryor or Rudy Ray Moore) which had a lot of profanity on them. The stickers usually had something like "strong language, not for all audiences".

Michael never used heavy language in his music. The most swearing there is on a Michael album is the HIStory album,but even then it's still so minimal that there's no warrant for a PA sticker. There's only profanity on four songs (Scream,TDCAU,This Time Around,and Tabloid Junkie) so the sticker would be useless.

Michael never used heavy language in his music. The most swearing there is on a Michael album is the HIStory album,but even then it's still so minimal that there's no warrant for a PA sticker. There's only profanity on four songs (Scream,TDCAU,This Time Around,and Tabloid Junkie) so the sticker would be useless.

The sticker is not just for profanity, it also used for the subject matter contained on a record. There's no cursing at all on Prince's Purple Rain album, including Darling Nikki. There's some on the 1999 album that came out before that though.

Weren't those Parental Advisory stickers from a particular record company?

The sticker is not just for profanity, it also used for the subject matter contained on a record. There's no cursing at all on Prince's Purple Rain album, including Darling Nikki. There's some on the 1999 album that came out before that though.

Regardless it still was never warranted for any MJ release including HIStory,where Michael was using heavy language and subject matters.

MJ used the f word even before the ‘Scream’ song.

In ‘Can’t Let Her Get Away’, you can hear him use that word (“… f---ed up…”, in the second half of that song). But, in my opinion, that is a too minor a curse to require a Parental Advisory Sticker on his ‘Dangerous’ album.

Also, the fact that he vocally emulates orgasm towards the end of ‘In The Closet’ does not really require a Parental Advisory Sticker, either.

Unlike his sister Janet who really goes overboard (with her usual, extreme lyrical/thematic profanity) & understandably she not only gets Parental Advisory Stickers on her albums for certain songs but also, even worse for her, some of her songs on specific markets are completely removed from her albums due to censorship, like the shockingly profane ‘Warmth’ song or its counterpart ‘Moist’ song from her ‘Damita Jo’ album.

History would be the only album to really have a reason to be consider a parent advisory label.. but let's not forget the real purpose/intention behind the label when it first came out.

They hid behind "cleaning up music" but there was a large push to hinder specific types of music and people from mainstream. Rap, heavy metal etc. A large part of the reason it was pushed was to try to discourage people to get specific music.. alot was race and religious driven.

Michael overall was a clean artist that didn't threaten the powers that be!

They hid behind "cleaning up music" but there was a large push to hinder specific types of music and people from mainstream. Rap, heavy metal etc. A large part of the reason it was pushed was to try to discourage people to get specific music.. alot was race and religious driven.
That backfired on them because the stickers helped to drive sales (like 2 Live Crew records), at least in the beginning. Like many teens are going to get it because they're not supposed to have it or told not to listen to it. Now the stickers don't really mean anything since you can see or hear anything on the internet or on video games like GTA. Wal Mart doen't sell stickered albums though and only sell the clean versions but they sell R rated movies.

HIStory should undoubtedly be packaged with a Parental Advisory sticker, if I'm honest. Though it's not excessive or even particularly frequent, there is some incredibly explicit language present.

HIStory should undoubtedly be packaged with a Parental Advisory sticker, if I'm honest. Though it's not excessive or even particularly frequent, there is some incredibly explicit language present.

Yes, I agree with this. I mean there is even the N-word in there.

It always surprises me that Scream doesn't have the label 'explict' attached to it on iTunes and Spotify. I've seen 'explict' next to other songs using the f word, but Scream doesn't have 'explict' next to it. It's very surprising but maybe because it was so rare for MJ to swear, they didn't bother.

I remember when that sticker was just reserved for gangsta rap. LoL
I don't even think they put a sticker on the scream louder remix (the one with Anthony Chris )
No version of Scream had line after line of profanity in it.. so no reason to stick parental advisory on it.

Many ‘Scream’ club mixes have included that curse part (“Stop f---ing with me”).

That curse part can be heard playing endlessly, loud & clear, with no bombs or any other distortions, in their extended outros.

As far as I know, those mixes have not even carried a Parental Advisory Sticker, so I cannot see why the ‘HIStory’ album should have had such a sticker on it because of that part.

That backfired on them because the stickers helped to drive sales (like 2 Live Crew records), at least in the beginning. Like many teens are going to get it because they're not supposed to have it or told not to listen to it. Now the stickers don't really mean anything since you can see or hear anything on the internet or on video games like GTA. Wal Mart doen't sell stickered albums though and only sell the clean versions but they sell R rated movies.

oh I know! lol.. they basically helped promote the music. it's funny how that happened

It always surprises me that Scream doesn't have the label 'explict' attached to it on iTunes and Spotify. I've seen 'explict' next to other songs using the f word, but Scream doesn't have 'explict' next to it. It's very surprising but maybe because it was so rare for MJ to swear, they didn't bother.

I always thought it wasn't Michael saying the F-word in "Scream", but rather Janet.

In any case, I'm glad there aren't any "explicit" labels on his albums and I don't think there should be any, either.

Mikky Dee;4230619 said:
I always thought it wasn't Michael saying the F-word in "Scream", but rather Janet.

In any case, I'm glad there aren't any "explicit" labels on his albums and I don't think there should be any, either.

Isolated multitracks from the ‘HIStory’ recording sessions prove that MJ himself did sing that cursing phrase.

But in the album’s version of the ‘Scream’ song, that cursing phrase is sung simultaneously by both MJ & Janet.

mj_frenzy;4230543 said:
Many ‘Scream’ club mixes have included that curse part (“Stop f---ing with me”).

That curse part can be heard playing endlessly, loud & clear, with no bombs or any other distortions, in their extended outros.

As far as I know, those mixes have not even carried a Parental Advisory Sticker, so I cannot see why the ‘HIStory’ album should have had such a sticker on it because of that part.
How many kids/teens buy club remix singles though?

How many kids/teens buy club remix singles though?

In general, I think that such club remix singles with explicit, unedited lyrics should still carry a Parental Advisory Sticker, even if not many kids/teens actually buy them.

The reason is that through other distribution channels, many kids/teens can have access to these club remix singles.

For example, during promotional periods, it is very common for labels to distribute many of these club remix singles via various competitions, so such a sticker is, in my opinion, necessary also here.

In general, I think that such club remix singles with explicit, unedited lyrics should still carry a Parental Advisory Sticker, even if not many kids/teens actually buy them.

The reason is that through other distribution channels, many kids/teens can have access to these club remix singles.

For example, during promotional periods, it is very common for labels to distribute many of these club remix singles via various competitions, so such a sticker is, in my opinion, necessary also here.
Where I'm from, I heard a lot of profanity being spoken at school, in the neighborhood, and from relatives than whatever was on a record. So a sticker wouldn't have made any difference. A kid could have bought a street tape on the corner. A street tape was a bootleg cassette or 8-track that people would sell in store parking lots or flea markets. Since the tapes were illegal anyway, the people selling them would sell them to whoever would buy them, it's not like buying in a store. Those record clubs that used to have ads for "12 albums for a penny!" didn't ask the age of the people ordering either. There's also some parents not caring about things like that and don't censor what their kids listen to or watch. Many parents take their kids to R rated movies.

DuranDuran;4253595 said:
Where I'm from, I heard a lot of profanity being spoken at school, in the neighborhood, and from relatives than whatever was on a record. So a sticker wouldn't have made any difference. A kid could have bought a street tape on the corner. A street tape was a bootleg cassette or 8-track that people would sell in store parking lots or flea markets. Since the tapes were illegal anyway, the people selling them would sell them to whoever would buy them, it's not like buying in a store. Those record clubs that used to have ads for "12 albums for a penny!" didn't ask the age of the people ordering either. There's also some parents not caring about things like that and don't censor what their kids listen to or watch. Many parents take their kids to R rated movies.

When kids are alone while looking to buy CDs, it is unsure whether such a sticker would prevent them from buying the ones with a sticker on them or not.

But the sticker most likely would make a difference in cases when parents are with their kids while buying CDs, or when parents alone buy CDs for their kids.

This is where parents would think twice before buying a particular CD with such a sticker on it.

I believe a sticker is generally a good idea when it comes to really heavily explicit lyrics (in particular, rap/hip-hop genres).

Lil’ Kim, for example, uses a very dirty language not only in her ‘Hard Core’ debut album but also in all of her subsequent albums & I think that such a sticker should be permanently imprinted on her album covers.

mj_frenzy;4253637 said:
When kids are alone while looking to buy CDs, it is unsure whether such a sticker would prevent them from buying the ones with a sticker on them or not.

But the sticker most likely would make a difference in cases when parents are with their kids while buying CDs, or when parents alone buy CDs for their kids.

This is where parents would think twice before buying a particular CD with such a sticker on it.

I believe a sticker is generally a good idea when it comes to really heavily explicit lyrics (in particular, rap/hip-hop genres).

Lil’ Kim, for example, uses a very dirty language not only in her ‘Hard Core’ debut album but also in all of her subsequent albums & I think that such a sticker should be permanently imprinted on her album covers.
There were some teenage rap groups in the 1990s. One was called 5th Ward Juvenilez, another was Illegal. Both groups used profanity on their songs. Even Kris Kross used the n-word on a few songs. I guess acts like these were primarily marketed to teens, not adults. So wouldn't a sticker cancel out their main audience? Also what about the parents who don't care about the stickers and buy the music for their kids anyway? Or at least play the music with kids around.

Re: teen hip hop

At any rate, today a sticker doesn't really matter. Kids can go to Youtube and listen to whatever for free. There's a little cursing in some Marvel movies, I'm pretty sure a lot of kids watch those.

Back